They had been back in NYC for over a week, Deana having left Starbucks but now filling her time volunteering more in Ms. S’s classroom.  She showed them pictures of the different places she went, keeping Justin out of any of the pictures and focusing on landmarks and scenery.  The kids were in awe of how many different places she went in that time period.  They thought it was cool that she got to fly to different places, or be on a bus that had a bed.  They didn’t know why she had been traveling, just that she had been gone and they had missed her.


Deana came home, finding Justin sitting in front of his laptop, headphones on.  She knew it was serious work by the look on his face.  He saw her in his periphery and looked up to fully see her, taking off the headphones.


“Working hard?” she asked.


“Mixing some stuff for Trolls, yeah.  Anything to avoid this week.  I get so much crap from the guys, other friends.”


“Why?”


“What’s next Tuesday?” he asked.


She thought for a second.  “Our 6 month anniversary…”


“I’m glad THAT was your first answer.  What’s the DATE for next Tuesday…”


“April 30th… Oh, now I get it.  Do you really dislike the meme?  I’ve shared it every year since it came out.  Last year a coworker beat me to the punch of posting it up in our office.”


“I mean, I get it, but I dunno.  It gets people listening to the songs, I guess that’s cool, means we make a little more in royalty fees.”


“You know it’s not about the money…”


“If they used more recent pictures, I might be ok with it.  But to have an annual reminder of something from when I was 19 years old…”


“You were sexy then, you’re sexy now, what difference does it make?” she laughed.


“I guess you’re right.  Maybe I’m just making too big a thing out of it.”


“It’s supposed to be fun.  I like seeing it on social media because every year I’m surprised by someone posting it that I don’t expect, and we bond over the fandom.  It makes me feel less alone, that friends I already know are coming out of the woodwork as fans.”


“I’m glad for that.  Yeah, I just take it too seriously.  I know the rest of the guys love it, they rag on me about it every year.”


“They’ll find any reason to rag on you, they’re like brothers.  It’s great to see how close you guys still are, I really like it.”


“Why, because you get to meet them as my girlfriend?”


“Because you still have that part of your life in your heart.  You could’ve completely left it behind, cut contact with them and moved on.  The VMAs and star ceremony were HUGE for fans, seeing you guys all together.  You easily could have accepted that VMA award without even referencing them and skipped the star ceremony.  But you didn’t.  They still mean so much to you, even though that part of your life is over.  You’re still great friends, and it easily could have gone the other way.”


“I did lose touch for a long while, mostly keeping track of JC cuz we vibed musically so well.  But once we started the group chat, it’s been a lot more back and forth communication, building things back up to where they were.”


“Enough of that for now, anything you can give me a sneak listen to?” she asked.


“Not yet.”


“Not even a little?”


“Once it's done.  I don’t want to have you hear one part and then decide to cut it.”


“That makes sense I guess.  Back to work, you really are your hardest critic…”


“I think I can take a well earned break,” he smiled.


“Yeah, what do you have in mind?” she teased.


“Oh, I think you know.”



It was Tuesday morning, and Justin woke up early to start on things for Deana.  They had been together 6 months, but it felt both like they’d been together 6 years, or just 6 days.  He made breakfast, making her poached eggs with the veggie garnish, chicken apple sausage, and french toast.  The smell of his cooking wafted down the hall, piquing her interest.


“Good morning, beautiful,” he said softly.  “Happy 6 months.”


She kissed his cheek as he cooked.  “Happy 6 months.  It feels like forever ago, and just yesterday at the same time.”


“It’s crazy, right?  I was thinking the same thing earlier.  I’m just glad it’s with you.”  He kissed her nose, smiling before finishing cooking.


They ate breakfast, Justin pulling out his phone, staring at it in contemplation.  “Should I?” he asked.


“Depends on what you mean?  If it’s post something, sure.  If it’s hiring a hitman, probably not…”


“The other special thing today…” he said.


“Oh.  Yeah.  I mean, YOU personally don’t have to post it, but you can give the OK for your social media person to find a clip and post.  It’s still technically coming from you, with your approval.”


His fingers started moving, clearly sending a text.  “Done.  Let me know once they post, I’m sure it’ll blow up because it's ME posting it.  Now, back to the important matter, treating my girlfriend like the queen she is for putting up with my stupid ass for 6 months,” he smiled.


“I’d do it all over again, no regrets.  Well, not about you.”


“I know, baby.  I think my one regret was giving you that space after everything happened.  You chose me then, I should’ve accepted it and been happy.  Instead I tortured myself, to the point I thought things were over.”


“Well, they weren’t, they aren’t.  We got this, babe.  I love you,” she said.


“I love you, too.”


“Do I get to know what’s going on today? Or is it all surprises?”


“Some surprises, but pretty low key, actually. If that’s ok.”


“I actually like that. It lets us just be with each other and celebrate being together. Not that the media would know why we’re dressed up for a night out, but still.”


She had settled back into normal life fairly well, they both had. Normally he’d be itching for something new, but with a few projects lined up, he was enjoying the time off to be with her. 


They did the dishes, Deana washing, Justin drying, occasionally playfully snapping her with the towel. They had gotten into this habit of doing them by hand to have extra time together doing something mundane. It helped him feel more like a regular person, and was familiar for Deana from a lifetime of modeling by her parents. 


She smiled, feeling so close to him in the everyday just as much as on tour or fancy things. They finished the dishes, Justin taking her hand and pulling her to the couch. 


He cued up Doctor Who, Deana smiling. “I’m so glad you’ve gotten into this show…” she sighed. 


“It’s funny, makes you think sometimes, most of the time has a social message. He’s trying to redeem mankind, but also himself.”


“This is one of my favorite episodes. I know you liked David Tennant, but I think you’ll like Matt Smith, too. It’s the first episode I ever saw.  It has the BEST story lines.”


“Better than the Rose storyline?”


“Honey, this is JUST the beginning…”


They watched a few episodes before getting lunch, grabbing food from the fridge to eat as they watched more. 


“Hey, it's that woman from the library…”


“Yes, very smart.  Pay attention, this is a complicated episode if you don’t pay attention.”  He gave her a playful push and a kiss on her cheek. “Pay attention…”


A few more episodes passed before Justin suggested to get ready for dinner. 


“What should I wear? You know where we’re going…”


“The black shirt you now wear as a dress would work, nothing fancy, just fun.”


“I’ll pair it with some jeans,” Deana said decidedly. 


They were soon ready to go. They got to the street level, Justin going out the front door.


“Where are we going?” Deana asked. 


“Just follow me,” he answered, holding out his hand. She took his hand and followed him. 


She’d been around the area, but mostly by car so she didn’t get to really look around.  She looked up at the signs of the different shops and restaurants.  She soon saw an area she was familiar with, passing the bar they went to every week. She soon saw a sign with a name she recognized. 


“Babe, this is it?” she asked. 


He nodded. “The Chinese restaurant that led me to you…” He smiled, pulling her close. He wasn’t hiding anymore, like he had in the past. It felt like that first night, going in as himself.


They ordered their favorites, Justin chatting up the staff he had gotten to know ordering food to go. They were glad to finally put a face with the woman he’d talked so much about. 


“I love that to them, I’m just Justin. I don’t think they know who I am, and if they do, they don’t care.”


“Like me?”


“But with amazing Chinese food,” he laughed. 


“I bake a mean frozen tray,” she replied with a chuckle. 


They got to the end of their meal, opening their fortune cookies. 


“If you have something good in your life, don’t let it go,” Justin read. “I don’t plan on it…”


Deana cracked hers open. “Love can last a lifetime, if you want it to.”  She looked into his eyes, a smile on Justin’s face. “I do…”


He pulled her chin towards him, kissing her across the table. “I’m glad you said that…”


“Oh my god, is this it? Are you proposing? Yes! Yes!”


“No…” he sighed. “Good to know that’s your answer though when the time comes.I guess my timing with all that seemed like a bit of a setup.  


Her face sank a little bit, Justin pulling her chin up. “Hey, I’m sorry if that disappointed you. It doesn’t mean I love you any less because I’m not proposing. There’s still one more part of our night.”


They walked back the way they came, Justin stopping in front of the bar. “Last stop,” he said. 


“Oh, I thought we were going home,” she blushed. 


“That desperate for it, huh?” he laughed. “Don’t worry, we have plenty of time for that…”


It was the first time she’d gone since February. From the doorway, she heard a familiar screech. 


“DEANA!!” Danielle screamed, running through the bar outside, tackling Deana. 


“You saw me last week...” Deana mumbled. 


“It’s not the same…” Dani grumbled. “First round is on me!”


They got a table towards the back, which Justin was thankful for.  


“Hey, I can’t expect you to hide your face anymore to fool this one…” Dani said.  “What’re you gonna sing tonight, D?”


“Oh, I dunno that I’m gonna sing…”


“That’s what you said the night I brought you back.  It’s a good thing I made you, otherwise you two would never have met.  Really, you owe me big time.”


“How big?” Deana asked.


“You name your daughter after me.”


“Now I’m praying for boys…” Deana laughed, looking at Justin.


“Fine, first born.  Danielle or Daniel.  Ha, can’t go back…”


“I never agreed to these terms.”


“You don’t have to, that’s just how it works.”


“If I HAVE to sing, I know what I’m gonna pick.  What do you think, babe?” she turned to Justin.


“Do what you wanna do.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen you own the stage, so I wouldn’t mind.”  He leaned in close to her, his breath in her ear.  “If memory serves, that last time we were here led to a great night at your place…”


She laughed, remembering that night, being so happy he was back early, making up for lost time while he’d been on tour.  She got up, hugged the DJ as she put in her slips.  Danielle had grabbed drinks, handing them to Justin and Deana.  Danielle raised her glass in the air.


“To being back in NYC, and making it 6 months together.  I’m proud to call you friends and see your love story unfold.”


They clinked glasses before taking swigs from their drinks.


“Alright everyone, back from touring the country, give it up for Deana!” the DJ announced, pushing her earlier into the rotation.  


The music was smooth and mid tempo, people cheering as they recognized the song but had never heard her sing it before.  Justin smiled, recognizing it instantly.


“You’re just too good to be true, can’t take my eyes off of you.  You’d be like Heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much.  At long last love has arrived, and I thank God I’m alive.  You’re just too good to be true, can’t take my eyes off of you.  You know the next part, sing it with me!”


Everyone sang the next part, some louder than others, but Deana and Justin sang with their eyes locked on each other, feeling like no time had passed since the last time they were there.


The crowd cheered as the song finished, Justin kissing her before she sat back down next to him.  They talked and listened as the rotation went around, Justin buying the next round.


“You ever gonna take the mic again like the last time you were here?” Dani asked Justin.


“Nah, that was just to surprise Deana. If she decided she wanted to do a duet I wouldn’t say no, but I don’t want it to become a habit.  I’m sure they’d LOVE to brag about being where Justin Timberlake goes to karaoke, but I also don’t need the extra attention if I do.  I’m perfectly happy being her support, but we’d need to be back here or something in case it catches on that I’m here every week.  I can always watch the live stream, too.”


“Yeah, but I can’t kiss you after I sing, or look into your eyes if you’re watching at home,” Deana said, a little pout in her lips.


“Just sing to the camera at the DJ booth.  How often do I sing to the cameras on my tours?  Same thing.”


“Alright ladies and gents, give it up once again for Deana,” the DJ announced.


She got up on stage, taking the mic.  “Baby, this is for you, the one that started it all.  There’s a fire, starting in my heart.  Reaching a fever pitch and it’s bringing me out the dark…”


She still had that same tone, intensity, passion that he had heard and felt 6 months ago.  This was the moment he wished he’d had then; seeing her sing, not just hearing her voice.  He smiled, amazed at how far they had come from that night, from complete strangers and living together and unofficially planning forever together.  


She finished the song, returning to sit next to Justin.  She whispered in his ear, he turned to look at her and nodded.


“Excuse us, we’re gonna get going,” Deana said, giving Dani a wink.


“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do…” she called.


“No promises,” Deana smiled.


She walked back to their place, Justin’s hand around her waist, running his thumb along the curve of her figure.  He opened the front door, looked at her, and smiled.


“How are we doing it this time?”

 

“Let’s see where it takes us, we have all night, and it’ll be perfect no matter what because it’s with you.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story