“Not interrupting, am I?” Trace asked, peeking his head onto the balcony.


“No, just brainstorming for my speech that turned into a much needed discussion,” Justin said softly, warmly. 


“Man, this is a great view, definitely good for thinking,” Trace added. He stood, hands on the railing, looking out at the city and the river.  Justin rose to stand next to him, Deana following suit.  Justin between Trace and Deana, feeling a cool breeze on his face, he sighed.  


“This is everything I need, right here.  My best friend, the love of my life…”


“And your mama,” Lynn said, standing at the sliding glass door.  She walked out to join the group on the patio, Samantha following to stand with Trace.  “It’s beautiful here.”


“I don’t have everything down for my speech yet, but I’ve got a good head start, thanks to this one,” he said, holding Deana tight, kissing her temple.  “I’m so glad you all are here with me for this.  Important parts of my life, beginning to now.  You’ve all supported me in so many ways, words can’t really say.  Thank you,” he said humbly.  “Really hoping I don’t cry tomorrow, I’m fighting it back even now, imagine in front of thousands of people.”


“You’re gonna do great, babe,” Deana said, looking up at him.


“Well, I have the interview thing with the graduates, then the concert thing later.  We’ll go to the interview thing, come back here, change for dinner and go back for the concert.  I know it’s a lot of back and forth, but it’s a 10 minute car ride, so it should be fine in between.  We ready?”


Justin was fairly casual, jeans with ripped knees, a white button down shirt, and a black suit jacket.  When you’re Justin Timberlake, you can pull off just about any look, Deana thought, smiling at him.  They went downstairs to a limo that would be taking them back and forth all night.


They sat in the Berklee Performance Center in front of a full house, given preferential seating right in front.  Missy was up on stage with him, waiting for the crowd to calm down once he came out onto the stage.  Deana felt like she was at one of his concerts, the volume of the crowd almost deafening.  He walked in to a standing ovation, Deana taking it all in that this was for him, that they saw what she did, that he did in fact deserve this honor.  She smiled at him on stage, Justin locking eyes with her a few times before sitting down as the crowd quieted down and settled into their seats.


 When asked about his first song he ever wrote, he told them, “I wrote about getting an earring.”  The crowd laughed a bit.  “I wanted an earring, and my parents told me if I wrote a song to convince them, I could get my ear pierced.  I did it, and they let me.”  Deana raised her eyes in surprise, never knowing that was the story behind his piercings.


He and Missy talked about different things, talking about inspiration for songs, the songwriting process, and how to handle failure.  They handled things well, despite there being thousands of people instead of more of a one on one for TV or radio or a magazine.  Mentally, Justin was taking notes for things to include in his speech.  


They went back to the hotel, Justin typing notes into his phone as they rode, to put on paper later.  He changed into a blue suit, a tan button down shirt.  Deana wore his favorite dress, the black dress from their second date.  They met back up at the restaurant for dinner, Scampo, one of the hotel restaurants.


“Do you know what the thing tonight is, exactly?” Deana asked.


“I just know it’s a showcase thing put on by the students.  They’ll perform, be the backup instruments and vocals, dancing I think, then there’s the production side of it too, lighting and sound.  It lets the students use what they’ve learned and show off.  I’m kinda excited, stuff like this can lead to a lot of doors opening up for them.  It might help me find some new talent to work with in the studio, ya never know…”


They ate and drank, enjoying themselves before going back for the concert.  Justin was relaxed, ready to enjoy things and see what the students had come up with.  They took the limo back to the school, settling into their seats in front.  


The theme of the night was a tribute to the three honorary doctorate recipients.  They started with Missy, doing a medley of her songs, followed by Alex Lacamoire, Justin’s medley being last.  Justin danced in his seat, signing along to the songs, Deana joining in for the Broadway and musical numbers she knew from Alex.


Finally, it was Justin’s medley.  The familiar guitar strum for “Like I Love You” started, Justin being blown away at the vocals throughout the medley.  It next went into “4 Minutes”, “My Love”, and “Sexy Back”, the latter having a female singing lead.  Then there was a short video biography, mentioning his being on Star Search and Mickey Mouse Club.  They mentioned other famous Mouseketeers, Deana yelling out JC’s name after leaving him out.  Then it mentioned JC and the rest of *NSYNC, highlighting their awards and success before he went solo.  


As with the other two recipients, Justin received a standing ovation from the crowd, Justin feigning surprise and also being truly humbled by the experience.  He held Deana close and gave her a quick kiss.  


They headed back to the hotel, Justin sitting back out on the patio as he put together notes for his speech.  Deana gave him some time to work alone, without distraction.  She watched TV in the living area, watching him from time to time.  


This is all so amazing, she thought to herself.  Six months ago, I had all but just met him, getting to know him, or who I THOUGHT he was.  I had no idea what laid ahead.  I couldn’t have imagined this is my wildest dreams, yet here it is, my reality.  He was the man of my dreams before finding out who he really was, and I can’t imagine life without him.  


Justin caught glances of Deana sitting on the couch in her dress.  She’s as beautiful as the first time I met her.  God, that feels like forever ago now.  There was so much uncertainty with my tour and everything on hold, but she became my rock during that time, then being with me on tour.  Everything I do from here on out is for her, for US.  


She caught him looking at her through the corner of her eye, a smile spreading across her face.  She got up, walking over to him on the patio, standing behind his lounge chair; her arms draped over his shoulders, hands resting on his chest, her head resting on his shoulder.


“How goes the writing?” she asked.


“I think I’m set.  Tonight was amazing, and with things I saw, along with ideas for the panel and our talk earlier, I think I’m ready.  I’m still nervous as hell to address them like that, but at least I’m allowed notes.”  He looked up at her.  “In case I haven’t said it yet tonight, you look absolutely beautiful…”


“You hadn’t, but I knew you felt it.”


“Well, I’m an idiot for not saying so earlier.  That’s my favorite dress of yours, the memories attached to it.  I remember asking you for a date with that dress on, excited to see it in person.  Then actually going on that date, our first rotating restaurant, your first date with me as Justin, not Bruce.  It was the picture I showed Trace and my mom when I told them about you.  This dress has a lot of happiness tied to it, I hope you wear it for years to come.”  


He took her hand in his, pulling her around to sit on his lap on the lounge chair.  “I love you, Deana.  SO much, SO much.  You’re my everything, baby.  I keep wishing I had that ring to give you, but then I remember it doesn’t change how I feel.  As long as I keep telling you how beautiful you are, how much I love you, you’ll always know you’re in my heart, and in my head.”


“I have the ring you gave me for my birthday, that’s enough for now.  I love you, too. You are more than a dream come true. I never could have imagined this in my wildest dreams.  You are my happily ever after.”


He kissed her, deeply, softly. His hand gently cupped her face, reaching into her hair. 


“When do we go home tomorrow?”


“We’ll be home by tomorrow night, it’ll be dark.”


“Just curious.  I think it would be a shame to waste this moment…”


“I was thinking the same thing,” Justin smiled, kissing her again.  “Can we start by dancing in the moonlight? I’ll turn off the patio light, just the moonlight and the soft glow of the lights of the city.”


“That sounds wonderful, baby.”


“Then finish in the bedroom, making sweet, tender love to my beautiful woman…”


“Mmm, I was thinking the same thing, with my handsome, romantic man…”



Deana woke up first the next morning, Justin sleeping soundly next to her, his arm wrapped around her waist. She slowly turned to face him, his hand moving to rest on her ass. Even when he’s asleep, he’s got to cop a feel, she smiled. 


A smile spread across Justin’s face. Deana gave him a soft kiss on his lips, Justin’s arm pulling her closer to him. “Good morning, beautiful,” he said, eyes still closed. 


“Did I wake you?” she asked. 


“Yes, but I don’t mind. Every morning I wake up to your face is another gift from God.  Greeting the day with a kiss is a special gift.”


“You’re barely awake and already a gushing romantic,” she smiled. 


“With you, I can’t help it. The way I feel about you.  I told you, we’re already getting into the slower pace of our love life. Last night was incredible. You were so beautiful, the moment was perfect. I couldn’t cheapen it with a sexy romp, this needed to be slow, sweet.”


“No arguments here,” she giggled. Tonight though, she thought, it’s on.


Deana got dressed, wearing a black dress with a lace illusion neckline, flashing at her waist, reaching past her knees. She wore a pair of black kitten heels, wanting to still have Justin taller than her and not eye to eye. Anything that tall was uncomfortable for her, making her even taller than she was, and killing her feet after less than an hour.


“Once again, my beautiful woman gracing me with her presence,” he said, taking her in.  


“You’re not so bad yourself,” she smiled. 


“I could wear ripped jeans under the robe and no one would know. Hell, I could go commando…”


“Don’t you dare, Justin. This is a prestigious honor, you’re not some frat guy drunk from a kegger the night before.  You still nervous about your speech?”


“A little. I’ve got good notes, and seeing you all there will remind me of what’s important.”  He wrapped his arms around her, kissing her deeply. “Let’s get downstairs, have breakfast with everyone before heading to the school.”


“I’m just glad yours is inside so we’re not in the sun, even if it is cooler here,” she said. 


They all met downstairs to have breakfast at the same restaurant they did the day before.  Justin doesn’t eat as much, nerves making him lose his appetite. 


“You need to have something in your stomach besides coffee, you’ll give yourself an ulcer,” Deana said, concerned. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you like this…”


He leaned close to her. “For the record, I MIGHT be like this before I propose…” he whispered. 


“Why? You know my answer…”


“I’ll still want it to be perfect, you deserve that.”


“You spoil me.  Enough, this is YOUR day, enjoy it.”


They finished eating, getting their limo to take them to the college. Being a special guest, Justin was allowed to have family with him before the ceremony. Lynn helped him put his robe and hood on, Deana putting the cap on his head. 


“I’m so proud of you, son,” Lynn said. “You deserve this, and every happiness in the world…”. Deana took pictures of Justin and Mama Lynn, mostly candids as she stood back a bit. 


“Don’t think I don’t see you over there,” Justin said.  “You’re next for pictures.”


“If I have to,” Deana teased. Justin stuck out his tongue. “Don’t make me say it…”


Justin walked over to her, whispering in her ear. “Trust me, I fully plan on it later…”


Deana felt a shock run through her body at his words. “Oh, baby, if you only knew…” she chuckled under her breath. 


He looked at her. “It’s gonna be so hard to control myself the rest of the day.”


“I need to keep that in mind for future reference. Get you all wound up before you go into the studio, before you go out on stage, before our wedding…”


“I didn’t realize you were into torture…” he laughed. 


“Enough, your mom is starting to wonder what we’re whispering about, especially with the look on your face,” Deana laughed. “You have your bedroom eyes on.”


“I blame you…” he laughed. Lynn gave him a curious look. 


They left Justin with the others to take their seats in the audience. Deana sat between Lynn and Samantha, Trace next to his wife.  


The faculty and graduates proceeded in and took their seats, Justin, Missy, and Alex up with the faculty. They sat through a welcoming address, along with speeches from Missy and Alex. 


It was Justin’s turn, approaching the podium, taking out a piece of paper with his notes. He started off with some nervous jokes, saying “y’all messed up giving me this award”, the crowd laughing at jokes off being a doctor and not doing surgeries but writing prescriptions. 


He was easing into things, starting to feel more comfortable. He talked about moments from the night before, shared a story about his connection to Missy, mentioning Trace and annoying him by playing Supa Dupa Fly over and over, and that he knew someday he’d meet and work with her. He told the graduates how proud he was of the performances last night, his excited he was to see them out in the world. 


“There’s so many people,” he said, a slight catch in his voice. “I said I wasn't gonna cry… There’s so many people that conspired for me to be standing here today.  My girlfriend, who inspires me every day,” he said, gesturing towards Deana, “I won’t tell you to be single or be in a relationship; but find someone who is better than you, and convince them to spend their lives with you.”


Deana felt all eyes on her, Lynn planning her phone to show Deana, fighting back tears.  Justin went in to thank Trace as his best friend, being his rock when he thought things weren’t going to turn out. 


“Obviously my mom is sitting here, it’s hard to even put into words what you’ve given me. How much you sacrificed for me to have the opportunities that I’ve had, I’m so lucky to be your son.  I love you so much.”  Deana looked at Mama Lynn, they shared a knowing smile and hugged, Lynn wiping tears from her eyes. 


“I wanna speak to the students one more time. You sort of taught, probably, about the ups and downs and failures. I don’t subscribe to that, or as a doctor, I don’t PRESCRIBE to that.”  The crowd laughed. “You are defined by what YOU define failure as. It’s not a thing if it leads you to your success.  It’s all part of the journey.  You have to appreciate those moments because what happens right after you feel you’ve failed is who you are, who you’ll continue to be.  You have to dare to suck.  You will never make something great if you’re afraid that it’s going to suck, that it’s going to fail.”  Deana smiled, knowing at least some of that was also meant for her, and the conversations they had had.


The crowd cheered as he concluded his speech, the rest of the ceremony moving on. Deana sat in utter amazement at how far he had come. She’d watched him on TV as a kid on MMC, then on MTV and in concerts, now she was seeing things live, right in front of her. He had grown and changed so much, seemingly an entirely different person than the young man she’d had an unattainable crush on all those years ago. Yet he was still the same inside; caring, funny, sensitive and sweet. The exterior has changed, but his heart and soul were the same. She knew he’d never dreamed this for himself, as she’d never dreamed being where she was for herself. 


They took more pictures once the ceremony was over, before heading back to the hotel. 


“You’re coming to New York with us, right?” Justin asked. 


“No, we’re going back home. Be home with the girls for Mother’s Day, give my mom a break,” Trace said. 


“I’m heading back, too. You’re in good hands with Deana,” Lynn said.


“But it’s Mother’s Day tomorrow…” 


“Today was the best gift you could ever give me until you have kids of your own. I’ll be fine, you spoil me plenty.”


Lynn, Trace and Samantha went to their rooms to park and check out. Deana and Justin went to their suite. 


“Well, now what?” Justin said, feeling a little deflated.


“I think it’s time some rules were broken…” Deana said, running a finger along his neck up to his ear. 

 

“Yeah?” he asked, a smile starting in the corners of his lips. 

Chapter End Notes:

For those of you reading carefully, I painstakingly watched his commencement speech at least 5 times while writing this to make sure I got his words perfect.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story