Deana flopped onto the couch in their penthouse, exhausted from flying. She wasn’t physically tired, but mentally drained from all the traveling home. 


“Feels good to be home, doesn’t it?” Justin asked. “I feel like we need a vacation from our vacation.”


“Isn’t that what this is? You’ve got your movie shot in December, Christmas in Montana, then press stuff for Trolls… This is our downtime.”


“You’re right. So what are you making for dinner tonight?  Do you need me to help?”


“If by help you mean grab my ass, then maybe. I think Danielle and I will cook, you boys get to know each other better. After all, he’ll be your brother in law at some point.”


“Can we not talk about it?” Justin snapped, then looked sad. “Sorry,” he apologized. 


“Can we talk?” she asked, sitting up on the couch. “You’re not getting cold feet, are you, about proposing?”


“No. I wouldn’t have done what I did last night if I didn’t think this was going anywhere. It’s just a reminder that I’m not where I thought we’d be in our relationship. In a perfect world we’d already be engaged, but we’re not, and it’s just stressing me out that I’m not giving you what I want, what I think you want.”


“What I want is to be with you, no matter what that looks like. I don’t need a ring to tell me how I feel about you. Sure, it’s a sign of our commitment to each other for other people to see, but it won’t change what I feel. When you’re ready, it’ll happen. I’m trying not to stress about it, either.”


“What do you have to stress about with it?”


“That it’ll happen. We’re coming up on a year together, people are gonna start expecting a ring.  You keep bringing things up, so I get my hopes up, it feels like this back and forth, do you want to get married or not. I know you said it’ll be before Dani’s wedding, but I know I’m gonna get asked about it at the shower, things like that.  When you ask me not to talk about it, it’s like you don’t want it anymore, almost like you don’t want me.”


“I’m sorry, that was never my intention.  It wouldn’t be fair to either of us to stay together if it isn’t going to work out. So know that every day we’re together is another day to love you more.  I’m waiting on the ring and how to propose. Which sounds like I’m basically not ready at all, but I think about it constantly.”


“And my heart gets no rest over you,” Deana sang. 


Justin gave her a look. “I should know this song, shouldn’t I?”


“I think JC might be a little hurt. Or not, but yes, it’s one of his/your songs.”


“That was half a lifetime ago. Fuck, we are old…” he laughed. 


“Maybe YOU are, I’ve got 2 years on you,” she smiled. 


“I’ll show YOU who’s old,” he said, tackling her on the couch, tickling her.



Danielle and Jonathan were over, the girls cooking, the guys watching basketball. 


“How goes the game?” Deana asked. 


“Knicks are up by 4.  It’s preseason so it kinda matters, but not really…”


“Go Knicks,” Deana said half heartedly, knowing they were too engrossed to notice. 


“I’ve got a guy, if you wanna go to some games,” Justin offered Jonathan. “I mean, they’re not my favorite team, but I still love the sport.”


“That’d be great. Girls, you wanna…”


“No!” Danielle and Deana answered together. 


“You boys enjoy your games,” Danielle said. 


“Ok, but if we end up on the kiss cam…” Justin laughed. 


“It’s what you deserve for being a Lakers fan… it was almost a dealbreaker…” Deana joked. “As if I care about stuff like that. I think it’d be fun, either courtside or in a box, especially if you took Dad.”


“Depends on who we’re playing. If it’s Memphis or LA, we’d be safer in a box unless we’re right by the visitor team.”


“Whatever, just have fun when you go.  Dinner should be ready by halftime.”


The game cut to a commercial break. “Can I grab you another beer, J?” Justin asked, getting off the couch. J nodded. He walked into the kitchen, playfully grabbing Deana’s ass. “It smells great in here babe.”


Deana playfully grabbed back. “Love you.”  


Justin pulled her close for a quick kiss.  “Love you, too.”


“Babe, you gonna come give me a kiss?” Dani asked.


“Do I have to?  The game’s back on…”


“And welcome to my world now.  Eventually, the magic dies.”


“I’m sure there’s magic I don’t want to know about…”


“Eh.”


“I’m not sure whether to feel sorry for you, or that you’re hiding something from me.”


“He’s just been really busy with work, it’s been lonely without you, I just didn't want you feeling bad about traveling the world with your boyfriend,” she sighed.  “And having super hot sex, I’m sure.”


Justin looked at J.  “You think they realize we can hear everything they’re saying?”


“Nope, trying to ignore the comment about your sex life. I know things have been rough lately with me at work, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.  Looks like I’ve got some work to do when I get home…” 


Justin lowered his voice.  “Hey, were you nervous before proposing?  I got your dad’s permission, but I’m nervous as fuck.  I know she’ll say yes, but I’m still waiting on the ring, and no clue how to do this.  I’ve never made it this far with anyone else, especially so quickly.”


“I was, a little.  We’d been apart for so long, then when we got back together, I knew this was it.  We’d known each other our whole lives.  But the way she’d been living her life, partying, it made me wonder if she wouldn’t wanna go back to that, especially with Deana gone for a while.  You gotta take that leap, and hope it’s the right choice.  It worked out for us, so far.  She’s a champagne girl living in a Bud Light world, I want to give her more than I can.  I know I make good money, and so does she, but I see the types of things she wants for the wedding, and what she’s having to settle on.”


“I’ve got your number, let’s talk later, it’s almost halftime.  I mean it though, let’s talk,” Justin said, putting a hand on Jonathan’s shoulder.


“”Alright boys, dinner is ready,” Deana called from the kitchen, putting food on the table.


“It smells amazing, babe,” Jonathan said before kissing Dani’s cheek.  


“What are we having? I can tell some of it, obviously,” Justin laughed.


“Chicken piccata, roasted veggies, and a walnut spinach salad with a berry vinaigrette.  All healthy, but tastes delicious.”


They served up the food, everything digging in.  


“As much good food as we had, THIS is amazing,” Justin said.  “I think we’re spoiled to have such good cooks, J.”


“We’ve got some good women, that’s for sure.”


“And they’re hot, too.”


“That’s my sister, but sure.  You do look great, D.  Mom will tell you you’re maybe doing too much.”


“Well, tell Mom I’m wanting to lose more.  Not gonna out hot the bride here, but I’ve got some stiff competition with the other bridesmaids…”


“Oh, whatever.  I have my first dress appointment on Friday, another on Saturday to really get the ball rolling.”  


“Perfect.  I need to go to LA in a week or so, do some more stuff in the studio, there’s some stuff I have up here, thankfully they are working with me on that,” Justin said.  “That gives you girls more time together if I’m not here.”


“Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?” Deana asked.


“I wanted a little break before getting back into things.  I know you’d come with me if I asked, but now is the perfect time to have you be here, work on wedding stuff with Danielle.”


“I’ll definitely be back in time for our anniversary, I’m not a complete idiot.  It’s getting to crunch time for all of us, between the wedding and my stuff for the movie.  Not ideal, but it is what it is.”


They continued talking about different things, enjoying their meal and each other’s company.  It was soon time for Danielle and Jonathan to leave, everyone giving hugs goodbye.  It was just Deana and Justin in the penthouse.


“Were you ok tonight, given our topic most of the night?” Deana asked.


“Yeah, it’s someone else’s wedding.  That was fine.  I feel like we’ve hashed this out a million times, can we not?  I feel bad, but I still feel at this stalemate.”


“I get it.  You ready for bed?”


“Nah, I’ve got some stuff for work I need to figure out, work on.  I love you,” he said softly, his voice almost desperate.  


“Love you too.”  She headed down the hall and off to bed.


Justin went into his studio, sat in his chair, and let out a long puff of air.  Hopefully once more of this is done, I’ll have headspace to really think about the proposal.  I know she’s not in a rush, but I feel like we should be there at this point.



It was Friday afternoon, and Deana was getting ready to meet Danielle to try on dresses. 


“You excited, babe?” Justin asked. 


“I just hope she finds something she loves. Hoping I can get my two cents in on bridesmaid dresses.”


“Have fun, give her a hug for me.” He gave her a quick kiss on the lips before she left. 


Justin had arranged for a car to pick up Deana and Dani to take them around. They arrived at a boutique, Danielle showing pictures of the style she wants, giving them her budget. 


“We’re springing on the venue and the dress, calling in favors with friends and such for everything else.”


“You know Justin would…”


“I know, but his turn will come soon enough. My parents have a set budget, we have some money saved away, it’ll be fine. We have friends willing to help, it’s fine.”


“How’s your week been? I haven’t really heard from you.”


“D, after we left your place, J has been more attentive, and the sex…”


“I don’t need to hear, but I’m glad the magic seems to be back,” Deana replied. 


Their attendant came back with a rack of dresses for Danielle to try on. 


“These are all in my budget?” Dani asked, surprised. The attendant nodded. “Alright, let’s try on some dresses!”


Danielle was about 5 dresses in, not finding one that she really liked, let alone loved. Some were too plain, others too puffy. She tried on a one shoulder dress that had beautiful crystals along the neckline, but the rest felt too plain. 


“D, I’m never gonna find the right dress…”


“It’s only been a few.  I’ve got plenty of time, let’s try a couple more. Not everyone finds their dress the first time they try some on. Maybe tomorrow we’ll have better luck.”


She went into the dressing room. “D, this is it!!!” Dani yelled excitedly. She came out, her face glowing, a wide smile on her face. 


“Dani, it’s beautiful. This is it, you’re sure?”


“I’m sure. I mean, look at it. It fits like a glove. Can I just buy the floor sample?” Dani asked. 


The dress was a pearl hue, not a bright white, with a lace bodice with intricate beadwork all over. It had spaghetti straps, but also straps going around the arm. 


“Dani, I worry the slit is a little high.  It won’t leave much to the imagination when he goes to get your garter…”


“Can we get it a little closer to the knee?” Dani asked the attendant. The attendant nodded. 


“We can definitely do that,” the attendant said. “What I think we can do, is put in some hidden buttons, have it to the knee for ceremony, then open it up for reception. As for the train, it’s completely removable so you don’t have to worry about bustling it. It’s like getting two dresses in one.”


“Oh D, I love it… I can’t believe it’s in my budget…. This is it.”


“You said you have another appointment tomorrow?” the attendant asked. 


“To go over measurements and things like that, accessories. This is definitely the dress.  The wedding’s in 4 months, we can’t waste any more time.  We can look at bridesmaid dresses tomorrow, too.  Maybe give you a turn looking at wedding dresses…”


“You’re engaged too? When’s the big day?” the attendant asked. 


“Oh, no, not yet. We’ve been together almost a year, but no…” Deana felt a little sad, more that Danielle would say that in front of someone wanting to get another sale. 


They started paperwork for the dress, Deana looking at things near the cashier. She realized she left her phone back by the dressing room, going back to get it. She looked closely at the dress Dani had picked, seeing the price tag on the bag. $3,500, definitely not in her budget. Justin, she thought to herself. Your secret is safe with me…



They were back at the boutique for the bridesmaid dresses and to get Dani’s measurements for her dress. 


“You girls will be in pink, more like a blush pink.  I’ve got a couple in mind for you to try on,” Dani said. 


Deana went in and tried on the first dress. It was a strapless a-line gown, ruching in the side with a small crystal brooch near the ruching. “Can I get mine with straps? My boobs are gonna look all saggy if I don’t, gravity wins over strapless stuff for me.”


“Let’s look at the next one,” Dani said. 


The next dress was almost like a ball gown, thin straps but a full skirt. “I already have a big ass, I don’t need a dress that’s gonna make it look bigger.  Sorry if I’m being difficult…”


“No, I wanted your input. I want you to be comfortable.”


Deana tried on the next dress. It was a chiffon dress, strapless but with a sheer one shoulder overlay. It hugged her curves in the right spots. “I like this one.”


“If you want, you can do the strapless bra but get the clear straps to go around underneath the overlay so you can’t even see it, but still have support. If you like it, I like it.”


“I like it. As long as I don’t go gaining weight again, it’ll look great on me, which means it’ll look great on the other girls.”


“You’re not getting carried away, are you? How much have you lost already?”


“Around 30, 35.  I think Justin likes it cuz he gets to buy me new stuff to wear, and more so because none of it has been in my boobs…”


“Hey, whatever works. As long as you two are happy.”


“He’s stressing out about the proposal, which is making me freak out a bit.”


“It’ll happen, you know he loves you. It’ll be perfect when he does.”


“That’s what I tell myself.  But when you joked yesterday about me trying on wedding dresses and they asked about a date, it was another reminder that we’re not there yet.”


“I’m sorry. I just thought it would be fun for you to get some ideas in your head of what you want.”


“I know you meant well, it’s just a sore subject between the two of us right now.”

 

“He’ll figure things out, you both will. You always do.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story