Songs: Blondie- One Way or Another, Journey- Don’t Stop Believin,  DJ Cupid- Cupid Shuffle, Pat Benatar- Hit Me With Your Best Shot


The week flew by, and it was Tuesday again.  It was becoming their favorite day of the week, almost a guarantee of seeing each other.It always seemed their best conversations came on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  Work went by quickly for her, in anticipation of the night to come.  


Danielle came over early for dinner, and they blasted an 80’s playlist as they got ready.  Any other night, Deana would have felt they went overboard with their hair and makeup, but for 80s night, that was kinda the point.


They were ready by the time the buzzer rang three times.  “That’s Bruce,” Deana said.  “That’s the buzzer code I gave him.”


Be right down, she texted to him.  They made their way down to the lobby, Danielle walking out first.  She choked when she saw what he was wearing.  


“Oh..my...GOD!  That is too perfect!  Deana, just look at him!  Who does he remind you of?”


“The resemblance is uncanny… I gotta say.”


“I mean, some of the things are off, but you look JUST like Justin Timberlake from that SNL sketch… It’s my dick in a box!”


Justin stifled a laugh.  


“The hair isn’t quite right, missing the soul patch, but the mustache and sideburns are pretty on point.  The glasses are a bit different, and minus the box.  Deana totally wants his dick in her box, don’t you, D?  I’m a JC girl myself…” Danielle said, poking Deana in the ribs with her elbow, raising her eyebrows.


Deana blushed, Justin felt a little awkward at the comment, but also stifled a laugh. 


“Yeah, cuz THAT would ever happen.  I mean, if the situation ever presented itself, I wouldn’t say NO, but come on, that would never happen.  He’d never like someone like me…”


Don’t sell yourself short, he thought.  You just might find he does like you, maybe something more than that.


“Hey, you never know.  Especially if he’s staying in NYC.  I mean, you see him all the time…”  


His ears perked up when he heard that comment.  He cocked his eyebrow.


“I see him walking around where I work.  I’ve had a couple interactions with him, nothing major…” she shushed Danielle.  


Well, I don’t think he’d forget meeting a girl like you.  He sent it to her, even though he had no recollection of seeing her anywhere else.  You girls look great.  


They were wearing almost matching outfits, tank tops with t shirts over that went off the shoulder, black leggings, leg warmers, hair up in high side ponytails and lots of brightly colored eyeshadow and heavy eyeliner.  The shirt seemed baggy on Danielle, but on Deana it seemed to hug her in just the right places


“Deana knit the leg warmers, she’s pretty talented,” Danielle said.  Deana blushed again.


Justin tilted his head and nodded, impressed.  “It’s just a hobby,” she said.  “I’d love it to be a business, but the market is oversaturated, it’s hard to get business on Etsy and sites like that.”


They headed to the bar, people making comments about Justin’s outfit made him smile a bit. He could wear this outfit, but because of minor changes, no one thought it was really him. He felt it kind of freeing. 


They got a round of drinks, Deana put in her song slips. She kept looking at him. I can’t believe how much he looks like Justin Timberlake. Like, totally convincing. No… there’s no way…. I mean, I’d seen parts of his face, but now seeing it altogether, he’s even more good looking. Of course I have to fall for a ridiculously hot guy. Isn’t that how it always is? The hot guy with a plain Jane best friend? 


Her phone buzzed.  Penny for your thoughts.  He looked at her. 


Just noticing how much you look like Justin in that outfit. I kinda wanna call you Justin instead of Bruce. She giggled. 


He chuckled to himself. You can call me whatever you want. I’ll take it as a compliment. He smiled, this was working out way too well. 


It was Deana’s turn to sing. She got up and sang “One Way or Another”.  His eyes widened, a smile spread across his face as he watched her. He was impressed by her range, the low growl she used, and how she seemed almost playful on stage. 


“She’s good, isn’t she?” Dani asked. He gave two thumbs up, nodding emphatically. 


“You like her,” Danielle said, looking at Justin. He looked back at Dani, pinching his fingers close together to convey “a little bit”.  Dani shook her head, gesturing in kind, fingers spread far apart. Justin nodded in agreement. 


He got out his phone, knowing she would want to talk. 


“How long?” she asked. 


The whole time. 


“Why haven’t you said anything?”


She needs time. After everything with Paul, she needs to process it all, start to heal. 


“What do you like most about her?”


Everything. She’s a great singer, she seems really caring, sweet, almost to a fault. That’s also been her downfall, she sees too much good in people and ends up getting hurt. Paul being the prime example. She knew she deserved better, but was too afraid of being alone. 


“Right? It took something so traumatic for her to realize she needed out. I like you. You’ve been really good for her, and good TO her. Don’t worry, this will be our little secret,” she said, giving him a wink. 


Thank you. I’m enjoying getting to know her.


Deana finished the song and came back to the table. She had more of her drink, when the DJ started a song. 


“Come on ladies, I know it’s not 80s, but you know you know this one.  Come out on the floor and dance!”


“Cupid Shuffle” blared through the speakers, Dani grabbing Deana’s hand and running out to the dance floor. Justin sat and watched, further intrigued by Deana. When it came time to turn, she did this circular sway of her hips. He felt almost hypnotized by how she danced, so smooth and carefree. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. 


He suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder. “You the new guy Deana’s with?” He turned to see a man about his age, olive skin, brown eyes, hair that was in desperate need of a haircut, thin build. 


Justin wished he could talk, assuming this was Paul. He nodded, it was his only real response. 


“We’ll see about that, she can’t stay away from me,” he said smugly.  He stepped uncomfortably close to Justin. 


Justin’s eyes locked onto Paul’s, and without breaking eye contact, he stood, his height and more muscular build seemed intimidating despite the costume. Justin motioned for Paul to leave. By the time the song was done, Paul was gone. 


I won’t say anything, hopefully he’ll leave her alone. If not, he’ll have me to deal with, he thought. 


“I know this is karaoke, so I wanna hear you ALL sing this next one!” the DJ said.  “Don’t Stop Believin’” came on, Deana and Danielle singing along with seemingly everyone else in the bar.  Justin focused on Deana’s voice over everyone else’s, hearing her go off on her own notes at certain times, going up a third or fifth of the chord.  He smiled, continuing to be impressed by her voice.


They sat, drinking and watching the others with their turns. Soon it was Deana’s turn again. He knew the guitar line immediately. Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot”.  She was singing her heart out, stretching out notes to show off a bit. His eyes went wide again as he watched and listened. 


She’s REALLY good. Like, she could meet with a label. 


Dani looked surprised. “I mean, I knew she was good, but you really think she’s THAT good?”


Justin nodded. I’ve done work producing and stuff.  Her voice is AMAZING, she has control, range, depth.  It’s what first attracted me to her. I heard her voice without knowing what she looked like, I knew I needed to come back to see her. I was hooked. 


“Ok, now I REALLY like you,” she smiled, laughing as she spoke. Justin smiled. “You’re the first guy that hasn’t run the other way. You find all these things you like about her. You know you need to make your move at SOME point, right?”


When the time is right. I’m guessing she told you about the kiss? Dani nodded. I dream about when I get to kiss her again. She needs time, but someday...


Deana came back to her seat, they finished their drinks and headed back to Deana’s apartment. Deana walked between Danielle and Justin, talking about the outfits they saw that night. 


“You had the best outfit, ‘Justin’”, Deana laughed. Justin waved his hand in derision, pointing to both of them. 


“Still no voice? It’s been 3 weeks,” Deana asked. Justin shook his head and shrugged. 


They reached the front steps of the apartment. “I’ll meet you upstairs, give you two some privacy,” she smiled, winking at them. 


“She’s incorrigible,” Deana laughed. “I should’ve asked her to take a picture of us so we can get your whole outfit. A selfie will just have to do so I’ll always remember this.”  Justin leaned in close to her for a picture together. He smiled, close enough he could smell the floral scent of her shampoo. He easily could have kissed her cheek, but decided against it. Deana, however, turned to face him, her lips softly against his cheek. He smiled a wide, content smile. 


You were great tonight Deana, honestly. I was telling Danielle you missed your calling, you could be a professional singer. Either a backup singer for someone, honestly good enough you could get a record deal. 


Deana’s eyes widened a bit.  “Really?  I had wanted to be a singer when I was younger, but I didn’t think I was good enough.  I don’t know that I could handle all that pressure though, especially as a plus sized female.”


The industry is changing.  Again, look at Lizzo, Adele.  They’re changing the game.  


“I dunno.  I know teaching doesn’t make much, but maybe being available as backup vocals might not be a bad idea.  I don’t know how I’d get into that though.”


He waved his hands in front of her with raised eyebrows.  Uh, hello.  I have connections.


“You’d do that, for me? No, no, that’s too much…”


Think about it.  You are incredible.  With a little coaching on proper technique and mechanics, you’d be a force to be reckoned with.  


“Fine, I’ll think about it.  Karaoke has been my only real option, I’m not exactly a songwriter or anything to do open mic stuff.  I mean, I did when I was younger, but I think that all got lost at some point, it was just lyrics, no real clue what I was doing.”


Then seriously consider my offer.  Not saying you’d have to rush off tomorrow, but when you’re ready, let me know.  I should let you get going, no sense in staying out here all night.  


“I think Dani’s expecting some crazy thing like last week, leaving us out here alone.”


Show her the picture.  That should satisfy her for now.  Can you send that to me?  I want to remember tonight, too.

 

She nodded, sending him the pictures she took of them.  She hugged him, he held her close to him for a while, neither of them wanting to end it.  A light hum escaped Deana’s lips, a smile widened across Justin’s face.  Justin slowly let go of her, watching her go into the lobby and upstairs.  By the time she got up to her apartment and to the window overlooking the street, he had walked away.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story