“I knew something was wrong yesterday, but I didn’t want to push it.  Now you’re crying on our bed.  What is going on?”


“You’re using that song… After everything that song meant when you recorded it, played it for me.  You were trying to tell me you loved me, but were willing to let me go if I wanted Paul.  How could you put something so personal into a movie for the world to hear?  It brought everything back up.  I hate it.  I wish you’d never written it.  The fact you could even THINK of putting it into any of your projects… Though I guess a movie soundtrack is better than an album where crowds want you singing it night after night, it being your next hit single…”


“Whoa, whoa, hang on, baby.  Yes, the song is inspired by our situation, but I was also writing it for the movie.  I don’t think of it like that any more.  We’ve come SO far from that point in time.  I”m sorry I didn’t tell you about it, I thought you would actually like it.  I didn’t think you’d react this way, and I’m sorry.”


“I almost lost you then, I feel like I’m losing you now..”


“How?  I felt like I was losing YOU yesterday.  You were so withdrawn, I saw that you’d been crying, but you wouldn’t talk to me about it.  I felt so helpless, not knowing what was wrong or how to fix it, not knowing WHAT to fix.”


“I feel like everything has to be perfect for you, I didn’t want to say anything and ruin things.”


“So you bottled it up instead?”


“I know.  It’s just, combined with all these times I thought ‘this is it, he’s gonna propose’, and nothing has happened… I started to feel like maybe you’re done with me, trying to find a way to break up with me.”


“Baby, NEVER.  I love you SO much, and I felt those moments, too.  I was kicking myself for not just asking without the ring, but I wanna do this right.  Please, don’t give up on us.  I love you, I want to spend my life with you.  But I also want your proposal to be memorable, and yeah, perfect.  Me not proposing has NOTHING to do with you.  I don’t want to break up, I still love you now as much as I ever have.  I picked up something for you on my way to the airport.  It’s hanging on the back of the closet door.”


She saw a garment bag, the material not showing what was inside.  She brought it out, slowly unzipping the zipper.  “Justin, it’s beautiful.”


“I thought you could wear it tomorrow, for going from tea to the premiere.”


“I love it.”  She held up a royal blue dress, with a leaf pattern on the top, with short sleeves.  There was a small bow at the waist, going into a flowy, mid calf length skirt.  The dress was chiffon, light and airy, perfect for the warm California fall weather.  


“So, is there anything else we need to talk about?” Justin asked.


“No.  I was just very in my head with the whole song.  It was such a painful time, I heard that song, and what it represents in our timeline; where you weren’t sure I still wanted to be with you, I was afraid you didn’t want to be with me… Compounded by not being engaged, it was just a lot all at once.”


“Please don’t keep things from me.  Not in a bad way, but this could’ve gotten to be something much bigger.  I want us to be able to talk while things are small, before they build and build and turn into this big weight.  I’ve been feeling that with the proposal, wanting to give you everything I think you want, everything you deserve for that moment.  That’s been stressing me out for months, the how, when, where of it all.”


“I just know that when you ask, however you ask, my answer will be yes.  There’s no doubt in my mind about marrying you.  I just worry at some point you’ll change your mind about me…”


“If there was even a remote possibility of that, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.  You are the one I want forever.  Every morning when I wake up, every night when I get into bed, and everything in between.  I hate to give a terrible segue, but we have guests waiting for us, we should probably head back out.  You’re ok though, no more holding anything in?”


“I’m fine.  Ready to enjoy the time with our friends.”


“OUR friends, huh?”


“Well, the girls like me almost more than they like you…”


“I can’t say I blame them, I can’t sing Anna and Elsa quite like you can…”


They walked back out to the friends awaiting them.  “I’m afraid to ask, pretty sure what the answer is, but what do you girls wanna watch?” Justin asked.


“FROZEN!” they cheered.  “We like singing and dancing with Deana…”  


Sophia got very close to Justin.  “She’s fun,” she whispered in his ear.  “She’s a keeper.”


Justin laughed lightly, looking at Deana.  “I think so, too.”



Late the next morning, the girls were still in their pajamas.  “Girls,” Justin said, “you wanna go have lunch and do some fun stuff with Deana and me?”


“Yeah!”


“Well, get your best dresses on, cuz we’re going to tea!” Deana said.


“A REAL tea party?” Sophia asked.  “With REAL food, not plastic make believe stuff?”


“Yes,” Deana said.  “So you girls have to be on your best behavior.  Then we have a surprise after that, so you REALLY need to be good.”


The girls nodded excitedly, going to get changed.  “I suppose I should get changed, too.  What’re you two gonna do while we’re gone?”


“Sleep,” they laughed.  “We’ll find something to do.”


“You’re welcome to take out one of the cars and go somewhere,” Justin offered.


Deana walked into the bedroom, getting into the dress Justin had bought for her.  It fit her perfectly, admiring his impeccable taste.  She opted for soft curls, a neutral eye palette, and simple silver hoop earrings.  She paired the dress with blue heels Justin had bought her, glad to have comfortable heels.  


Deana walked out, Justin wearing dark wash jeans, a white tee, and a black sport jacket.  Deana sighed.  “I take half an hour to get ready, and you take 5 seconds.  Not fair.”


“But you are gonna steal the show…” Justin said.


The girls came out in their dresses.  “Wow, you look like a princess,” they said to Deana.  “You just need a crown.”


“You girls look perfect.  Shall we?”  Deana asked.


“Since this is a special thing, we’re even gonna take a special car.  How do you feel about going in a LIMO?” Justin asked.


The girls’ faces lit up.  “Really?”


“Really.  There’s too many of us to fit in a smaller car, and it gives you girls some room so you’re not scrunched together. Say bye to Mommy and Daddy,” Justin said.


The girls hugged Trace and Samantha goodbye, holding hands with Deana and Justin as they walked out towards the front gate.  THe limo was waiting for them, the girls in awe of the long, black car.


It was about a half an hour drive to the restaurant, the girls excited to see where they were going.  They pulled up to a building with maroon awnings over the windows, and an archway over the door.  “Tea Rose Garden” was in crisp white on the awnings.  They got out of the limo,  Justin holding the door open for the girls.  They gasped, seeing a fountain in the lobby, everything looked so fancy.  Even Deana was a little intimidated.


They were seated at a table, Deana and Justin helping the girls figure out what they wanted to order.  The girls got the children’s afternoon tea, Sophia getting the strawberry Nutella, River getting the peanut butter and jelly, both with lemonade.  Deana and Justin getting the garden tea plates, Deana getting Earl Grey tea, Justin getting the peach apricot tea.  


The girls felt very fancy, the day going over very well.  The girls were very well behaved, seeing how fancy the plates and cups were, afraid to break anything.  


They finished their meals, the girls wanting to take some pictures in front of the fountain before they left. They got back into the limo that was waiting outside for them, heading back towards Hollywood. They were listening to the Frozen soundtrack, the girls thought it was just for fun, but Justin and Deana knew it was to get them ready for what came next.  The girls hadn’t really been there before, certainly not in a limo, so they took a scenic route to make the girls feel extra fancy. 


Soon, they approached the area around the theater. The limo got in the line to drop off guests. “Girls, this is a very special thing we’re going to do. There are very special people here, so you need to be on your BEST behavior.”


“Ok,” the girls said. The closer they got, the more they saw, recognizing the Frozen logo.  “Where are we going?” they asked. 


“What if I told you we were going to the world premiere of the new Frozen movie?” Justin asked.


“That’s AWESOME!!” the girls cheered.  “Really?”


Justin nodded with a smile.  “The cast will be there, we’ll get to watch the movie before anyone else in the world.”


“THANK YOU!!” they yelled.  


“”It was Deana’s idea, so thank her.”


“Thank you,  Deana.  We LOVE it!!”


It was soon their turn to get out, Deana and the girls excited to walk the red carpet.  They took pictures of the 4 of them, and some just of Deana and Justin.    The girls were in awe as they entered an immersive experience, feeling like they were in the movie.  There were people in costumes, taking pictures with the actual cast, but the girls didn’t notice the actors, more excited for the people in costume that looked like the characters on screen.  


“This is why kids look at me weird when someone tells them I’m Branch.  Like, ‘no you’re not…’  It’s kinda nice to not be recognized in that way.”  He looked at Deana.  “How you doing?  Are you ok? I know this can be a lot when you’re not used to it.  You did well in Paris, but this is different.”


“I’m fine, I have you.  I’m glad we talked things through, it would’ve been rough doing all this while upset.”


He wrapped his arm around her waist, giving her a gentle kiss on the cheek.  “I’m glad you opened up about it.  I’d been worrying about you since I saw tears on your cheeks while you napped on Tuesday.  


They found the girls, who had been running around seeing what all they could see and do.  They walked into the theater, getting their seats.  The girls sat in the middle between Justin and Deana.  


As Justin watched the opening number, he laughed to himself.  I know I’m Branch, but I don’t think I’ve ever related to a cartoon character as much as I do Kristoff.  He keeps wanting to propose but never having it turn out right.  I’m right there with ya, pal…


They continued watching, the girls glued to the screen.  They got to the song “Lost In The Woods”, and Justin was again finding himself relating.  He reached his arm out, barely reaching Deana’s arm with his fingers.  She looked at him, and he gave a look that told her he was feeling that way about her.  He’d be lost without her, afraid of losing her.  Deana moved “I love you”, Justin replying in kind.  Suddenly a thought came into his head.  


That’s it.  How could I have missed this until now?  It’s perfect, she’ll love it.  So much meaning behind all of it, it’s romantic, it’s everything she deserves.  He smiled, knowing that things were falling into place.  And now, to get back home to New York.


They got back to the house, everyone in a good mood.  The girls slept well that night, worn out from the excitement.  Justin and Deana got into bed, exhausted from watching the girls all day.  “They had such a great time, I’m glad we did that,” Deana said, snuggling up to Justin.  


“I’m glad we did, too.  Gotta say, I was definitely feeling like Kristoff, the pressure he was putting on himself to propose.”


“It worked out in the end, I’m sure it will for us. Of course, we don’t have the peril of a potential cataclysmic disaster to deal with first,” she smiled. 

 

Justin smiled as she settled into him and drifted off to sleep. With any luck, by this time next week, we’ll be engaged. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story