Justin unlocked the front door to their home in Memphis, putting their bags in the bedroom.  “Are you nervous about tomorrow?” he asked.  “I mean, we are hosting, have you done a Thanksgiving dinner before?”


“Never in my life.  So yeah, we’ll see how this goes.  I’ve helped make side dishes like mashed potatoes from scratch, but not the turkey.  I want to try and make everything from scratch.  You bought a lot of stuff in advance, right?  I don’t need to go to the market right now and get things?”


“I ordered as closely to what you gave me.  You’re sure you won’t need help tomorrow?  I’m sure my mom and Lisa would be willing to help.”


“I won’t say no, but I wanna try.  The more I think about it, the more nervous I get…”


“Let them help.  Lisa makes a wicked pecan pie, I’ve already asked her to bring that.”


“Are you nervous, about your dad and brothers?”


“Not really.  I feel like it’s not outside of the realm of possibilities.  I’m glad I get to do it in person.  I was a little upset I couldn’t have all the guys come over, or take them out somewhere to ask.  Over video call was just, weird.  I’m pretty sure Trace knows it’s coming, too.  Oh, Samantha can help, I’m sure.  Don’t worry, babe, it’s gonna go great.”



Deana was scrambling around the kitchen the next day, trying to cook 3 things at the same time.


“I thought you were ok with getting help?” Justin reminded her.


“I want you to have time with them,” she called.


“If you need help, we’ll help.  We have plenty of time to talk later,” Samantha said.


“Yes, please, I’d like help,” Deana admitted.  


Justin walked into the kitchen.  “Good, that gives me my chance.  But we’re BOTH talking to Dad…”  Deana nodded.  “I’ll grab you for a sec in a bit.  Love you,” he said, giving her a quick peck before going into the living room.  


“Ok, pretty sure this isn’t going to blindside anyone here, but here it goes.  Trace, you’re my best friend, my rock, will you be my best man?”


“Absolutely.  I’ve already started getting ideas for your bachelor party…” Trace said.  “Thank you, man.  Really, it’s an honor.”


He looked at Jonathan and Stephen.  “Will you two be groomsmen?  We want people we’re closest to, and can’t imagine you not just being AT the wedding, but being PART of it.”


“Thanks, Justin.  That means a lot,” Jonathan said.  “I’m game, count me in.”


“Team Timberlake,” Stephen said with a smile.


Justin got up and headed to the kitchen.  “Excuse me, I need my beautiful fiancee for a moment.”


They walked back into the living room.  “Dad, we were wondering if you’d do us the honor of being the one to marry us.”


Randy’s eyes went wide, but soft.  “Wow, I’m… wow.  I’d have to get licensed in New York, but I’m sure that’s easy enough.  I would be honored.  I hope I can handle being in front of all those people…”


“You were a music pastor in church when I was growing up… I’m pretty sure you can handle it,” Justin said confidently.


“Thank you, son.  I’m deeply honored.”  Justin and his dad hugged, Deana choking back tears as she felt the love in the room between all of them.  


“I’m needed back in the kitchen, I’m sure…” Deana said.


“You stay there, darlin’,” Mama Lynn called out.  “You’re gracious enough to host, but let us cook.  We can teach you if you want, but let us do the heavy lifting as it were.”


Deana watched from the edge of the kitchen, helping as she was able, making mental notes on family recipes. 


The food was ready, everyone tucking in to the table to eat. Justin leaned close to Deana. “Thank you for suggesting this. I’m glad I get to spend today with the people I love the most, in one of my true happy places. This time next year, we’ll be married, and I’m very thankful for that.”



Deana was trying to choose a wedding planner, inundated with recommendations from some of Justin’s friends. One name that kept coming up was a woman named Ketrinna. She’d called and scheduled a lunch meeting, see if they would be a good fit. She looked up any time someone came through the door of the little cafe. 


“Deana?” a voice asked. She looked up and nodded. “Hello, I’m Ketrinna, nice to meet you.” She was short, maybe 5’3”, with long, dark hair, some of which pulled up into pin curls. Deana connected with her as Ketrinna was on the heavier side, wearing horn rimmed glasses. She was like a plus size pinup that meant business. 


“Nice to meet you.  Tell me a bit about yourself.”


“I’ve been in the planning business for about 5 years now, I’ve done weddings with very small budgets all the way up to million dollar weddings. I love helping people make their dreams come true. Sometimes it just comes with a smaller budget and I work with that. Tell me a bit about you, your fiancé.”


“Justin and I have been dating for just over a year. We met at a karaoke night and things went from there. We’re getting married next October, our 2 year anniversary.  It’s gonna be big, around 200 people I think. We already have our venue, the Edison Ballroom, and I am already working on my dress.  His dad will be officiating our wedding.”


“Sounds like you have a bunch worked out already, that’s a good start. We’ll need to work with other vendors like flowers, catering, music options for the reception, things like that. I’ll email you every couple of weeks to meet for what you want, meetings will be more regular as we get closer to the big day to make sure everything is perfect.”


“Sounds good. I travel with him for his job when I can, so being able to email or call will be helpful if I’m not here in New York.  Well, I think this will be a good fit.  I look forward to meeting with you more and getting everything worked out.”


“I look forward to helping you get your dream wedding.  I have your email, we’ll be in touch soon.”


Deana headed back to the penthouse, feeling good about the progress she was making, getting closer to her day to become Mrs. Timberlake. 



“What do you think of these flowers?” Dani asked. “We’re picking out our flower arrangements this weekend and I’m stuck.”


“You’re doing that NOW? Ketrinna said we need to have our floral vendor picked by next month…”


“Well, you pick the vendor, sure, but it’s not like they can start on the arrangements until a couple days before. Giving 2 months notice of what you want gives them time to buy from growers and such.  Though with your wedding, the sooner the better since you’ll have a whole forest of flowers…”


“I keep telling you…” Deana started.


“And I keep saying no, we don’t need Justin’s money. I really need to thank your mom and dad for giving us the money from that inheritance to go towards our wedding fund…”


“Really, you don’t,” Deana choked, trying not to be too obvious.  It hadn’t occurred to her that Dani might say anything to her parents about the money and where she thought it came from. 


“I’m just glad we can afford a real florist and not having to do it ourselves buying from Costco or wholesale.  We’ll just pick them up, ready to go into a fridge to stay fresh.  What are you thinking for your ceremony?”


“Well,” Deana sighed, “I’m thinking less floral stuff for the ceremony, more candles, light, having the flowers be the key for the reception. It’ll be interesting to see how they turn over the space in a short time.”


“I’m glad you’re getting the wedding you’ve dreamed of,” Dani sighed. 


“We’re trying to give you yours, too,” Deana replied. 


“I know, and thank you, but I’m actually really happy with where we are. I know I come off as this high maintenance chick, but for this, I really want the focus on US, ya know? I lost him once, for so long, I’m sure as hell not losing him again. I know you know that feeling.”


She was right. After everything that happened with her and Justin and Paul when Justin was on tour, she was so glad that he was willing to forgive her for cheating on him. 


“I know. You know this is all coming out of love though, right?”


“Yes. I looked up your wedding planner. I told her I was your maid of honor, and wanting to be part of the process. I told her I’m engaged, and how I was worried about the difference between our budgets. Do you know what she said?”


“No, but I’m sure you’re gonna tell me…”


“She said the budgets aren’t what matters. You can feel the same amount of love at a wedding with a thousand dollar budget as you can with a million dollar one. That’s what our big days are all about, the love we feel for our amazing men. You just get to be fancier in how you express it. And you know what? I’m ok with that.  At the end of the day, as long as I’m married to your brother, we could be at the courthouse and having a reception in a backyard with food from Walmart and paper plates from the dollar store, and I’d be just as happy. I love J so much, I want that to be what people walk away from our wedding feeling.”

 

Deana hugged her best friend, squeezing her tight. “And they will, Dani.  They definitely will.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story