Justin woke up the next morning with a smile.  He looked at his phone, smiling at his updated wallpaper.  The picture of Deana kissing his cheek the night before.  He remembered the conversation he had with Danielle.  Hopefully she’ll keep her promise and not blow my cover, he thought.  I’m glad she likes me.  The best friend’s approval is everything.  Now to just get to know Deana more and wait for the right moment.


He went into the bathroom and shaved everything back down to all match after growing what he’d needed for his look last night. It was mid morning by the time he finally got dressed enough to go out and get his tea. I could probably make this at home for cheaper, but lately, it’s been nice seeing Michele and making her smile. There’s something familiar about her, I know she’s a fan but doesn’t seem all that starstruck. She’s my favorite there, especially after the pickle juice suggestion. It’s growing on me. It’s not like a sore throat, but it was a sweet suggestion and totally makes sense for a real sore throat. 


He placed his mobile order and started walking to pick it up. Hopefully she’s there, sometimes she’s not.   He thought more about the night before, particularly about his interaction with Paul. He seemed so smug, sure that Deana will go back to him. I hope she wouldn’t do something like that. That she’d give time for something between us. I’m fairly sure she likes me, after how interested Dani was with everything. But what if she DOES go back to him and I miss my chance? Would she leave him to be with me?


I could see why she fell for him, he’s good looking enough; especially if it’s been years since anyone has stuck around to get to know her. That’s their loss, hopefully my gain. I shouldn’t say it that way, but I see things in her that she doesn’t see in herself, that those other idiots didn’t take the time to learn. Men really can be stupid sometimes, but I won’t make the same mistakes they did.  I’m really hoping now that he’s met me, he’ll stay away. For her sake as well as mine. I don’t like being in that mode, but if I need to in order to keep her safe, I will. It was like an instinct, to intimidate him to make him go away. I just hope it worked. 


He walked into the Starbucks, and he felt a smile spread across his face. There she was, her smiling face ready with his tea. He was in no hurry, so he sat at a table, watching her. The way she interacted with the customers, her coworkers. He tried not to be obvious in watching her. If he knew she was another side of Deana, he wouldn’t have minded just staring at her. In this space, she was Michele, a friendly face that treated him like a person, not a celebrity. 



Deana was still getting used to her new normal, going to the classroom earlier meant she couldn’t sleep in as much. She showered, got dressed, and headed to the school. She kept looking at the pictures on her phone. It is crazy how much he looks like Justin. I knew he was good looking, but DAMN. Still, there’s no way it’s him.  I mean, he sees me at work from time to time, but he wouldn’t take notice of someone like me.  He’s got all his friends, why would he slum it with regular people?  I’m lucky he even comes into my work, especially right now for tea he could make at home.  


She was soon able to distract herself a bit with the kids.  She was quickly learning the morning circle time routine, things she honestly couldn’t remember if she had done when she was in first grade.  She assumed that she must have, at some point, but maybe times had changed since then.  One additional perk to her new schedule was that she could stay during recess if she wanted, and could go into the teacher’s lounge.  Ms. S. invited her in to talk at recess time.


“Deana, thank you so much for everything you’ve been doing.  I know it means a lot to me, especially with everything after losing your grandma.  I have a lot of memories of her picking you up from school.  Your whole family is important to me.  I just wanted to say that you’re the happiest lately that I’ve seen you in a long time.  Whatever is going on, keep it up.”


Deana blushed a little.  “Well, I met this guy.  It’s only been a few weeks, but he’s been really nice.”


“Well, I’d say he’s worth having around if he makes you feel this way.  Do you have a picture?”


“Just ones from Halloween and an 80s themed karaoke night last night,” she said, showing pictures on her phone.


“Oh, is he ever handsome...” Ms. S. laughed.


“Yeah, I know.  Feels too good to be true, you know?  I mean, we’re just friends right now, but still.”


“You have a lot to offer, Deana.  You’re kind, caring, compassionate.  There aren’t many people like you in the world, don’t sell yourself short.  We’ve kept in touch all these years.  Not a lot of students do that.”


“For you they do,” Deana said.  


“Maybe, but how many of your other teachers over the years do you still keep in touch with?”


“Less than five.  I’m friends with my 7th grade math teacher on Facebook, but that’s about all I can find that accept my requests.  You’re the only one I see on a regular basis, have really kept in touch with.”


“That’s the life of a teacher.  You’re in their life for less than a year, and hope they remember you for the rest of their lives.  Some do, most don’t.  Even the good teachers.  It’s not anyone’s fault, it’s just the nature of things.  You’re not the type of person someone just forgets.  I know sometimes it can feel lonely, but I’m sure you pop up in memories of friends you haven’t seen in years.  That’s how it goes sometimes, the givers seem to get overlooked, but they usually aren’t forgotten.”


“I gotta head to work, but I’ll be back next week.”


“I’d like to take you out to dinner this weekend, as a thank you for everything, and to talk for more than just a few minutes.  You can tell me all about this young man.  Maybe even bring him along, if he wants.”


“I’ll see, he’s battling something right now, he lost his voice, bad sore throat, something.  It’s a lot of texting back and forth, that might be too much for him, but I’ll ask.”


“Great.  Let’s make it a special night out, Del Frisco’s Grille in Manhattan.  See you around 7 on Saturday?”


Deana nodded.  “I’ll see you then.  Thanks, Ms. S.”


She headed to work, thinking about what Ms. S. had said about Bruce/Justin.  I am a lot happier lately, except for the shit with Paul.  I know having a man in my life shouldn’t be the only thing to make me happy, and we’re not even together.  I guess just having him as a friend is making me feel this way?  Maybe because it’s Wednesday?  I get to see Ms. S., the kids, and on a good day, I’ll see Justin at work.  I should tell him I saw his doppelganger last night. No, that would just come off weird, I have a habit of doing stuff like that.


She got into work, clocked in, and got ready for her spot working on the bar.  It was her favorite part, making the drinks for people, getting to talk to them as they waited.  She hadn’t been on for very long when she saw his mobile order.  A smile widened across her face.  She enjoyed her job, but seeing Justin was an added perk.  She smiled as she saw him walk in, his drink ready.  She started on the next set of drinks,  noticing he sat down at a table.  


He usually doesn’t stay, she thought.  She continued working, admittedly a bit distracted by his lingering presence.  There were times where she could almost swear he was watching her.  She shook off the feeling.  It wasn’t until a coworker at the register walked over and whispered “he keeps looking at you…” that she blushed. 


She went out for her break to get some fresh air. She jumped when she felt a tap on her shoulder. There he was, right in front of her. He smiled softly; she tried to stay calm. He put something in her hand, nodded towards it, smiled a little wider, and walked away. She looked in her hand to find a folded brown napkin. Inside was a $20 bill and writing on the napkin. This is all I had on me. Thank you for being you- kind, sweet, and funny to everyone that walks through those doors. 


She looked up and he was gone. Tears welled up within her. I know I love my job, but I never thought anything like this would happen. Yeah, I see him a few times a week, but that was the longest I’ve seen him hang around. He picked up on that in a while of being there? I know I try to just internally freak out when he’s here, I’m sure he appreciates that. This day just gets better and better. 


She went back inside until it was time for her lunch break. She took out her phone. 


Hey ‘Justin’, do you have plans for Saturday? My mentor teacher is taking me out to dinner, thought maybe you’d like to come along. Meet the woman that inspired me. 


He thought for a bit before responding. I’d like to, but with not being able to talk it’d just be weird. You’d have to talk for me, or pass phones back and forth. I definitely want to meet the woman that helped you find your passion, sure she’s amazing like you. 


Deana blushed a little. We’ve been in contact for so long. She came to my sister’s wedding, someday I want her to come to mine, she’s close with my parents. Dad was head of the PTA until I got into high school. I got to know more of my teachers than regular kids, but she was one that stuck, ya know?


I have some people like that in my life. Question though, why bring me?


To be completely honest?


Please. 


At recess she told me she’s never seen me so happy, so myself. I guess I figure you had something to do with that. 


Now it was Justin’s turn to blush, smiling at her text. Glad I’m helping you be happy again. You deserve that. I’m feeling happier, too. Being around you is making the crap situation with work into something good. 


I’ve also had a REALLY good day at work so far, so I’ve got that going for me, too. 


I’m glad. You’ve had too much shit thrown at you, it’s time some good came your way. 


Hopefully your work thing is back on soon. 


I do and I don’t. It’s a LOT of travel, so I’ll be gone for a while. I’ll miss you. 


Deana’s heart swelled. I’ll miss you too. Can I retract my statement? Lol


I wouldn’t have met you if things hadn’t stalled, so I’m glad it happened, in hindsight. Ooh, that’s a great name for a book…


You mean Justin’s new book? You just keep finding ways to make me smile. I loved seeing all the pictures and things. Not gonna lie, I wish he’d talked as much about *NSYNC as he did some of the other stuff. 


Justin sighed. You got it already?


Bought it the first day. Kinda my tradition, getting things the day they release. Once I discovered Harris Potter, I did all the midnight book releases, movie releases. I bought 3 copies of No Strings Attached when it came out. One to listen to, one as a backup, and a third just to help outsell the Backstreet Boys. 


Justin chuckled. Big fan, huh?


OH YEAH.  First celebrity crush where I had to have all the pictures, merchandise, all of that. Dani made me a sweatshirt for my 17th birthday that had a picture of Justin on the front, and our names together on the back- Justin and Deana. I wish I still had it, not sure when I lost it. My friends and I wrote an *NSYNC story where I was your best friend back home, you and all the guys are there to take us to the prom, for some reason. Dumb teenage girl stuff. Senior year I tried to put *NSYNC in literally every project I could. Over half of my senior English project involved *NSYNC in some way. Camped overnight for concert tickets, everything. Kinda outgrew parts of that once I graduated, but still a big Justin fan, buy all his albums on release day, physical copies, not just digital versions. 


I know he’s very thankful for his fans, at the beginning and now. They’re the reason he does what he does. 


Well, I gotta get back in to work, but thanks for letting me talk *NSYNC, never met a guy that really let me do that. 


Have a great rest of your day. Talk to you later Deana. 

 

Justin sighed. Well, so much for giving her a signed copy if she already has a copy of her own. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story