It was late Saturday afternoon, and Deana was excited for her dinner with Ms. S. She’d see her at the grocery store or things, but had never just spent real time with her outside of the classroom one on one. 


Hey, have a great time at dinner, sorry I can’t make it. Where are you ladies going?


Del Frisco’s Grille in Manhattan. She wanted to make it special. 


I’ve been there, you’ll like it, great food. You gonna dress up at all?


Maybe. You think I should?


An old family friend is taking you to a nice place for dinner. Yeah, I think you should. What’re you gonna wear?


Well, not the jeans I was planning on wearing. Jesus, it’s like a date. Black dress? I have one that goes to my knees, I can pair it with a sweater, heels. 


Take a picture and send it to me. 


Gimme a bit. 


She changed into the dress, it clung to her torso, floating out at her hips into a full skirt, sleeveless with a boatneck neckline. She kept her hair down, curls cascading down over her shoulders. She pointed a bit back to show simple stud earrings. 


She snapped a picture of herself in her full length mirror and sent it to him. 


Wow. Beautiful...


She blushed.  I haven’t done my makeup yet


You don’t need it. A simple sweater will dress it down a bit. You have any simple dress shoes that aren’t heels?


I have some ballet flats. 


Perfect. You really do look amazing. Now I wish I was going. 


It’s not too late…


No. You ladies have fun though. Promise me one thing though…?


Depends on what the promise is…


I get to take you out to dinner in that dress. 


I don’t think it’ll fit you… she laughed. 


You know what I mean. That I get to see you in that dress in person. 


I think I can keep that promise. 


I can’t wait.  Have a good night. 


He put his phone down. Back to the conundrum. I wish I could talk so I could see her tonight, but if I could talk I’d be on tour and never meet her. She looked amazing in that dress. God DAMN, the dress, her hair, she’d look amazing in heels. The perfect height for that perfect kiss… Damnit Justin, snap out of it.  I need to talk to Trace. He’ll help me figure out what to do. 



Deana arrived at the restaurant, Ms. S. was waiting for her. “Glad to see you, sweetheart,” she said, hugging Deana. 


They were seated at a table, and a bottle of champagne was brought to the table. “Compliments of a Bruce Wayne, he said you’d understand,” said a server. 


Deana sighed. “He didn’t. No, this is totally like him…”


Ms. S. had a slightly confused look on her face. 


“My gentleman friend. He knows we’re here, what I’m wearing, he must have called and arranged this.  It’s not the first time he’s done something like this.”


“Well, to Mr. Bruce Wayne,” Ms. S. said, raising her glass. 


“That’s not his real name. His name is Bruce, but I don’t know his last name. I met him around Halloween, he was dressed as Batman.”


“Sounds like things are going well though, if he’s surprising you with things.”


“I guess.  It’s hard to know what he’s thinking about all of this.  He’ll do and say these super sweet things, then say something that makes me feel like we’re just friends.”


“Well, that isn’t the worst thing in the world, is it?”


“No.  I just keep going back and forth between wanting to be interested, and wanting to be friends.”


“It’s only been a few weeks, just see where things go.  Keep getting to know him.  Again, I’ve never seen you so happy.  If he has anything to do with that, he’s worth hanging on to, even as a friend.”


“He helped me pick out my outfit tonight.  Told me how beautiful I looked, that he wished he could be here.  He promised that he’d take me out to dinner so he can see me in this dress.”


“Then it sounds like there’s something there, just wait and things will happen when they’re meant to.”


They ordered their meals, talked about the class, teaching in general, memories from when Deana was in her class, and how their families were doing.  They ordered dessert, enjoying the food and atmosphere.  They waited for the check, even after they finished dessert and their plates were cleared.  


“Excuse me,” Ms. S. said, flagging down their server, “Can we get the check?”


“Oh, it’s been taken care of.  Enjoy your evening ladies.”


“Bruce…” Deana sighed.


“He’s doing this without even being here?  I think he likes you…” Ms. S. said.


“Yeah, I’ve been hearing that a lot lately…”  she took out her phone.


Thank you, maybe someday I’ll get to actually spend time with you on things you’re going to pay for…


Karaoke doesn’t count?


No.  


Are you asking me on a date?


Maybe I am.  She blushed a little, worried about his response.


I accept.  Leave the rest to me.


Deana’s mouth dropped.  “He just agreed to a date!” she squealed.


“When?” Ms. S. asked excitedly.


“I guess we have to figure that out.  But it’s exciting, a step in the right direction.”


“You deserve it, Deana.  I remember when you first told me your engagement was off.  It was like an out of body experience.  Watching you go through similar feelings I had when I found out my marriage was over.  You’re still young, it’s not too late to find your happy ever after.”


“Well, thank you for coming out, and for everything you’ve been doing when you come in.  It helps me, the kids LOVE you, I can’t wait to hear about your own class someday.  I hope everything goes well with Bruce.”


“Thanks, Ms. S.  I’ll see you on Wednesday morning.”


They both left the restaurant, Deana taking out her phone and calling Danielle.  “You will NOT believe my night…”


“With Ms. S.?  Why do you sound so excited, no offense?”


“Well, beforehand, I talked to Bruce.  Told him where we were going, and trying to figure out what to wear.  I showed him the outfit he suggested, a black dress, and he said I looked beautiful, and that he was sad he couldn’t make it.  Too much trying to go back and forth with him not being able to talk, it just wouldn’t work.  He promised me he’d take me on a date where I could wear the dress again. Then, he called the restaurant, got us a bottle of champagne, and paid for the whole meal.”


“Of course he did, I’m sensing a trend here…”


“I went to thank him, and said one of these times I’d like him to actually BE with me on one of these things if he’s going to pay.  He asked if I was asking him on a date, I said ‘maybe’, and he said yes!”


“WHAT?!”


“I know.  He said he’ll figure everything else out.”


“No wonder you’re so excited. Do you know when?”


“No. I guess he’ll tell me when. I mean, if he wants me to show up, I’ll need to know where and when.”


“I just wonder how he can afford all this…” Dani said. 


“He said he’s produced stuff, does a bit of everything, so maybe that’s how.  If he can afford to, I won’t complain. I mean, I’d be ok with just karaoke and something small.  I’m not interested in his money, no matter how much or little he has.”


“Well, hoping this is the start of something for you two.  I gotta get going, J is waiting for me…”


“Enough said, I don’t need to know either way.  Night Dani.”


“Good night, D.”



Justin looked at his phone.  Yeah, I need to talk to Trace.  Now’s as good a time as any.  He’s my best friend, I don’t know why this is so hard.  Maybe because I already know what he’ll say…


Hey man, you free to talk?


Yeah J, what’s up?


So, there’s this girl…


Another one?  What now, actress, model?  Since when do YOU need advice from ME on women?


This one’s different.  I heard her one night as I walked past a bar doing karaoke night.  She’s legit, or could be if she wanted to.  Her voice drew me in, I had to come back the next week to see who she was.  She’s amazing.  It’s been a month and I think I’m hooked.  


So what’s the problem?  Even without your voice you’re Justin fucking Timberlake…


She doesn’t know who I am.  I never saw her the first week, and the second was Halloween.  I told her my name was Bruce, like Bruce Wayne.


What the fuck?


I want her to like ME, not my name and all that shit.  She’s got baggage, but she’s opened up to me about all of it, I actually wanted to listen.


You normally run at the smallest HINT of baggage.


She’s worth it.  She’s so beautiful, but she doesn’t even see it in herself.  She needs time to heal from the shit she’s been through.


So give her time.


I am, but things keep happening.


Such as?


She has a SUPER toxic ex that still wants to be in the picture.  She saw him at karaoke one night and asked me to kiss her, pretend to be her boyfriend.  Man, it felt so GOOD to kiss her, it was so different than what I expected.  I’ve been able to hold her as she fought back tears, or actually DID cry, like she felt safe with me.  


You got a picture?


Justin sent him the picture of her that he’d received just minutes before.  Dude, she’s not your usual type…


Justin felt something like anger fire up inside of him.  I don’t care.  I think she’s amazing, smart, driven, talented, caring and kind.  This could be it, man.  She’s just so different from anyone I’ve ever been with.


Looks like she ATE girls you’ve been with.


Fuck you, Trace.  I know people expect that I’m that shallow, but I honestly don’t really see it.  I see beautiful eyes that have stared into my soul.  I see curves that just don’t stop, legs that go on for days, and a smile I’d literally do anything to see.  It sounds cliche, but it just means there’s more for me to love.


The media is gonna have a field day with this, you know that?  At first you might get away with them thinking she’s a publicist or something, but the first they see you kiss her, that she’s your new girlfriend, they’re gonna be relentless.  Don’t pretend like they won’t.  I hope she’s thick skinned, she’s gonna need it.


I still don’t care.  That’s not why I reached out, bro.


What can I do to help?


If you didn't know what she looked like, what would you tell me to do to win her over?  We’re friends right now, I’m giving her time, but I need a plan.  I was supposed to go out with her to dinner tonight.  She promised she’d go on a date with me so I could see that dress in person.


Great, she’s got a date with you, at some point.


But WHEN?  


Dude, you’re in NYC until this whole vocal cord thing is over.  There’s plenty of time.  What have you done so far to show you like her?


I gave her and her BFF brunch, spa day, and Broadway tickets, all with a private driver.  Paid for it all.


OK, could you do that with where she is tonight?  Pay for dinner even though you aren’t there?  I mean, you’d insist on paying if you HAD gone tonight, so what’s the difference?


Yeah, I’ll do that.  But what next?


Honestly you just gotta wait man.  If you wanna give her time, you have to actually let time pass.  Just keep doing whatever it is you’re doing.  I’m sorry about what I said…


No you’re not, you are one of the few people that doesn’t BS me and tell me what I wanna hear.  If you met her, you’d see what I see.


I’ll take your word for it until I can.  Did any of that help?


I dunno.  I knew what you were gonna say already, I just needed to hear it come from somewhere beyond my brain.  


Glad I could help…  I hope she’s just as crazy about you as you are about her.


Me too, man.  Me too.


He called the restaurant, giving them a description of the dress Deana was going to wear.  He ordered champagne for the table, and arranged to pay for their meal.  Now he just had to wait.


I know where I want to take her on our date.  Did we even call it a date, or just going out to dinner?  He panicked a little.  Still plenty of time to clarify that it IS a date, not like it’s tomorrow or anything.  Question is WHEN.  I want to be able to TELL her, not text her, how gorgeous she looks.  I think there’s some time between my birthday show and the next tour date, a couple days in between that I can take advantage of.    


He continued to think things over when his phone buzzed.  Thank you, maybe someday I’ll get to actually spend time with you on things you’re going to pay for…


He smiled.  I’ll be funny first before asking if she actually meant a date, he thought.

 

His smile widened as they texted.  Did SHE just ask me on a date?  I guess I better check…  Well, now I guess I have TWO dates to plan, and I think I know just where to go.  I just need to make sure they have a table available…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story