Deana’s phone buzzed. Do you want to talk NOW, or on your lunch/after work?  Deana smiled knowing Danielle was waiting up for her. 


Deana opened the door to Danielle’s room. “Reader’s Digest version now, then other parts later.”


Danielle sat up in her bed, and Deana sat down at the foot of the bed. 


“So he’s basically leaving it up to me. We both admitted there are feelings there, but he wants me to be ready for a relationship first. He doesn’t want to hurt me, and is willing to wait until I decide what I want.”


“What DO you want?” Dani asked. 


“I want him. I just need to know that things are done with Paul. For me, it’s over. But I’m not sure about him.”


“FUCK Paul and what HE wants. You don’t want him back, that’s all there is to it. You want to be with Bruce, what more do you need to know?”


Deana sighed. “I don’t know. I think I just need a few more weeks. We have a date next weekend.”


“Well, that’s definitely a step forward.”


“I wanted him to kiss me, but at the same time felt like it’s too soon. He told me it’s all up to me. If I’m ready to kiss him, I need to make the move. That way I don’t misread things from him. I’m just so in my head.  I need to get to bed, you can lecture me later on why I should jump right in…”


“You know me so well,” Dani laughed. “Goodnight. This is all god stuff, D. I can tell her genuinely cares about you.”


“So did my exes, at first…”


Deana closed the door. Danielle sighed in her bed. “You really are your own worst enemy, D,” she said aloud. “Don’t ruin it with this guy.”



Deana woke the next morning feeling a mix of emotions. I’m glad I know how he feels, but now I need to figure out what I feel. I know I like him, but is it too soon? Was I sad last night because I knew I should’ve just said we’re together instead of dragging this on?  Because I’m worried about disappointing and losing him?  I know he said he’d wait, but it’s already been a month. Is he really gonna turn away any other woman just for me?  


She dressed for work before heading out to the school. She was almost to the school when her phone buzzed. 


Good morning beautiful. Hope it’s ok I texted. 


She smiled. You can text me anytime you want ???? I may not always answer, but you can always text. Heading to see my mentor teacher and her kiddos, then work. You’re getting my day off to a great start. 


I’m still feeling good from last night. There’s this AMAZING girl I know, I think she likes me… ????


Guy like you? She’d be crazy not to like you. 


Yeah, but we’re taking it slow, cause I really like her back and I don’t wanna fuck things up. 


I dunno how you could. Fuck things up I mean. I gotta get going but I’ll text when I can. 


Bye for now, beautiful. 


She started her day on an amazing emotional high, walking into the classroom with a huge smile on her face. The kids were finishing circle time and getting ready for a writing assignment. 


“Are things going well with Bruce?” Ms. S. asked. 


“We talked last night. He’s definitely interested, but we’re taking it slow. He’s giving me time after my last relationship, that I’m ready to be with him, not just to be with someone. We have a date next weekend.”


“That’s great, I’m so happy for you.  I hope I get to meet him soon.”


“He’s a big fan of yours, helping mold me into who I’ve become.”


“That was almost 20 years ago, I can’t take all the credit, but that’s very kind of him.”


Soon it was time for her to go to work, and her good mood continued. She was in a groove processing orders, making drinks, with a smile that never left her face. 


As usual these last few weeks, she saw a mobile order for Justin. Her smile got a little wider as he walked in. 


“Michele, you’re so happy today,” a coworker noticed. 


“I met someone, it’s going REALLY well…”


“Get it, girl! It’s all in your attitude, I told you…”


Justin smiled at her as he picked up his cup, raising it as a passing thank you. 


“I guess Justin has some competition now…” her coworker whispered. 


“Shush, he might hear you…” she said, swatting at her coworker. “As if I HAVE Justin like that.  He’s probably seeing some model or something.”


“All I know is he comes in when you’re working lately…” 


Deana waved it off as she continued working. When it was time for her lunch, she grabbed her food, sat at a table, and called Danielle. 


“Any word from your ‘boyfriend’ yet?” Danielle teased. 


“He’s not my boyfriend, but he sent me a text this morning. He called me beautiful, twice,” she blushed. 


“Why shouldn’t he? He likes you, and you do have great eyes. Family trait…”


“I thought we were talking about ME, not my brother…”


“Sorry. So he sent you a text?”


“Yeah, hoping I had a good morning and that he’s feeling good from last night. I’ll send screenshots of what we said.  It was short but cute.”  She quickly took a screenshot and sent it to Dani. 


“Awww, that’s so cute!” Dani replied. “I think you need to get off the phone with me and text him, see how his day’s going.  Show you’re thinking of him.”


Danielle hung up and Deana opened her texts. 


Hey, on my lunch at work. Hope you’re having a good day. She was hopeful for a response. 


Better now that I got a text from you. Overall, pretty good, no complaints. Well, except my voice and the work situation. But it’s led me to something special, so even then I can’t complain too much. Best thing that ever happened to me. 


Deana smiled. Me too. 


Oh, I made reservations for us for next Saturday. Nothing too fancy dress code wise, but it fills up quick. I’m excited to go, I’ve never been but thought it could be fun. Great first date kinda place. I just wish it was sooner. 


Sorry, I just wanna do this right. 


Oh, yeah. Well, I didn’t mean that part, they were all full for this weekend, otherwise I would’ve surprised you, if that was ok.


Well, I’m not really a ‘surprise’ kinda girl.  Sometimes it’s fun, sure, but I prefer to know what’s coming.  You’ve given me a lot of surprises so far.


Yeah, I guess that’s the ADHD side of me.  I totally get the ‘everything in order’ part, I also kinda have OCD, so that gets fun…  Sometimes I just think of something and go with it, but then I do it to perfection.  It’s definitely chaotic sometimes cuz I’ll get an idea, focus solely on it, then another idea will come along, and then I have to work on both…  Yeah.  So sorry, not sorry?  I just want to treat you the way I think you deserve to be treated.


I get that, but it can be a little overwhelming.


Sorry.  I just really like you and wanted it out there.


I know.  It just reminds me of my ex, so it scares me a bit.  I mean, I knew on our first date there was a definite connection, but within 3 days I’d already met his parents and had dinner at his house, he wrote fucking poetry for me, it almost scared me off.  Then I realized I was being an idiot and he was doing it all because he liked me.  Just weird to think about it now, all that build up and it fizzled out.


It happens.  I definitely don’t want to scare you off.  No more surprises until our date, I promise.  It’s gonna be really hard though, just saying.


Thank you.  My lunch is almost over, but we can talk the rest of the day when I get home.


I really feel like we COULD talk the rest of the day…


Everything is still new, we’re still getting to know each other, there’s a lot to talk about.


I can’t wait.  Talk to you later, beautiful.


Keep saying that and I just might start believing it. 


That’s kinda the idea… ????


She put her phone in her pocket before putting it away to go back on shift.  She couldn’t wait to get home and talk to him again.



She opened the door to her apartment, grabbed some iced tea from the fridge, and pulled out her phone.


Just got home, I’ve been thinking of you all day.


He smiled.  Glad to hear it.


So, what should we talk about?


How about best friends?  I don’t really know much about you and Danielle.


Well, we grew up pretty much next door neighbors.  She lived a couple houses down, so we’d play together a lot as kids.  It’s really no surprise she’s with my brother, they’d play doctor and stuff sometimes, now they do whatever they do and I want no insight into it cuz yuck.  


He laughed a little.  That’s all I get?


She knows me inside and out, I think she knows me better than I do.  


I mean, you did say she made you promise to get my number… She can’t be too off base.


She wants me to be happy.


That makes two of us.


Deana blushed.  I’m stubborn, though.  She didn’t like Paul at all, but I figured I knew better.  She didn’t say anything right away, but once she did I was too far gone to see clearly.  Or if I did see what she meant, I just chose to ignore it and avoid being single.  The last few guys I dated she really liked, thought were good for me, so it hurt her almost as much when things didn't work out.  I’m glad she likes you, though, it would’ve been a huge red flag if she didn’t.  At first, I wasn’t too sure to be honest, a random guy buying me drinks.  I took a chance and it’s turned out good so far, so no complaints.


He smiled.  I had to get you to notice me somehow, especially if I couldn’t just walk up to you and say hi.


Again, no complaints here. I just hope I don’t screw it up.


I don’t know how you could.  Yeah, my best friend knows me really well.  That’s why they’re the BEST friends, right?  


Have you told him about me?


Justin paused, remembering his conversation with Trace not exactly going well.  He wants what’s best for me, but he can also be really stupid.  Right now he’s being stupid.  


Do I wanna know?


Once he meets you, I think he’ll like you.  Right now all he has to go off of is what I’ve told him, but still has reservations.  We’ve both seen each other totally get screwed over with exes, so I think he’s just being overprotective since he hasn’t met you himself.  


Can I meet him sometime?


He’ll be around in a couple months, I’ll see what I can arrange.  It doesn’t change how I feel about you, so I could honestly care less what he thinks at this point.  If meeting you doesn’t change his mind, he’ll just have to get used to it.


I don’t want you to lose your best friend because of me…


I know I’m jumping ahead, but if this is it, for both of us, I’d rather lose him than you.  


You don’t mean that…


You are different than anyone else I’ve had feelings for.  If he can’t see that, how good you’ve been for me during this whole crappy part of my life, I don’t need him.


Deana sighed.  No, I won’t split up best friends…


We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.  Once he meets you, he’ll be fine.  He has this idea of who I should be with, and it’s just not something we agree on right now.


Meaning he thinks you deserve some hot, skinny babe.  He’s not wrong…


Don’t make me come over there and show you how beautiful you are.


And how would you do that? she teased.


Shit, well, I didn't think you’d take it seriously…


I’m not, I was just teasing.  But now I’m curious.


I guess you’ll just have to find out…


Oh come on, I’m trying to flirt through text, not exactly easy to convey tone…


I have some pretty good ideas, but you’re not ready for any of them, so I really don’t think it matters.


What about something I am ready for?


Well, based on what we’ve ‘done’ already, I’d look deeply into your eyes, can’t help but smile, and hold you close to me.  If you’d let me, I’d kiss you, soft and sweet.


Definitely sounds tempting.  But doing it to prove a point still isn’t the way things should really start between us.  


You’re right.  He thought to himself, what I REALLY wanna say is I’d kiss her, and make sweet love to her and show her everything I love about her.  She’s DEFINITELY not ready for that…


Otherwise, what can you tell me about your best friend?


Our moms were best friends, so we had built in playdates when our moms would hang out.  Then once we got into school we’d get into all kinds of trouble.  He helps even me out, but can also be a terrible influence sometimes.  It goes back and forth on who the bad influence is between the two of us.  He keeps me grounded, most of the time.  He pulled a HUGE prank on me, got my mom involved, it was crazy.  But that’s just the kinda stuff guys do, I’m sure you and Danielle haven’t done anything like that.


I guess not, no.  I’ve always been the good influence.  She’s definitely rubbed off on me over the years.  I think that’s what led to Paul.  I’d been single for so long, she was pushing me to meet someone.  I didn’t expect him to come along, but once he did, I kinda said ‘fuck it, why not?’  I think that’s the thing she regrets the most, trying to get me to loosen up a little and having it hurt me the way it did.  To be fair, I took it too far too fast, that was my fault, not hers.  She’s always had guys fighting for her attention.  If she were single, I think you’d be attracted to her, not me.


I dunno, once I heard you sing, and saw you on that stage, that was pretty much it.  


You really think you’d still like me if you’d seen her first?


Yes.  I was looking for the person that I heard sing.  Once I matched a face to the voice, everyone else no longer mattered.  I didn't even look at anyone in there, just found a seat and waited for your voice.


Well, I’m glad it worked out that way.  But definitely not used to it, I see Dani deal with it all the time.  She’d almost get annoyed at all the attention she got, where I was wishing I’d even get ONE guy coming up to me…


Well, you have me, so wish no more.


She smiled. I don’t know that I HAVE you…


Trust me, you do. Hook, line, and sinker. I’m down for the count. 


Gotta admit, sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this isn’t a dream. 


Why?


Cuz you’re hot as fuck, and I’m, well…


You’re beautiful. If I may be so bold, downright sexy. 


Well, you said it, so you can’t take it back now… ????


I wouldn’t want to. 


Are you trying to get me to fall in love with you?


Maybe. Is it working?


Maybe.  She looked at the time. I gotta start on dinner, talk to you later?


Sure. Enjoy your dinner. 

 

Justin put down his phone. She’s flirting, he thought to himself, that’s a good sign. But really, I wish she saw what I see in her. I wish I could show her, but the only real ways I know how are totally off limits right now. The waiting is gonna kill me. But she’s worth it. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story