Author's Chapter Notes:

Song in this chapter- Adele- Roling In The Deep

They got to the bar, friends welcoming her back as if no time had passed. Deana settled in, content to just sit back and listen on her first night back. She sipped her drink of choice, a Midori sour, then ordered a Mai Tai. It was one of the few places she knew that made it the way she liked it, the fruitier the better. 


She sang along quietly as her friends went up to sing.  She cheered for each of them before and after their songs. Danielle got up and sang, cheering loudest for her best friend. 


“Now we just need to get you to sing,” Danielle said as she came back from her turn on the mic. 


“Oh no, I’m just here to listen tonight, I haven’t done this in a while…”


That’s what you think, Danielle smiled to herself. 



Justin hadn’t left the couch in what felt like hours.  He didn’t feel like doing anything, the next two months were going to be torture. He decided he needed to eat something, and knew just what he needed. 


He got up, and headed to the counter. 


I’ll try this, then head down to get food.  He opened the jar of pickles, feeling strange putting the jar to his lips. The juice hit his throat and stung a little, like a salt water gargle with an extra kick. He found himself enjoying it more than he thought he would. It had seemed odd at first, but having tried it, he would continue and see if it helped. 


He put on a jacket and a Yankees baseball cap before heading downstairs. He walked around a bit, enjoying that he could do so fairly freely compared to LA.  He walked slowly, enjoying being out, feeling somewhat normal. He eventually arrived at a small Chinese restaurant, sitting down at a small corner table. They gave him green tea as he sat down. He pointed to the hot and sour soup, and was brought a large bowl within minutes. The warmth of the soup warmed him, it felt comforting. It was just what he needed, not even bothering with the tea. He couldn’t use sugar and there was no way he could ask for honey without feeling awkward. He ordered a second bowl, savoring each spoonful. 


He left once he finished and paid the bill. He continued to walk, not really wanting to go home yet and be reminded of everything. He turned a corner and heard music. He walked closer, seeing a small sports bar. The sign out front said “Tuesday is Karaoke Night!”  He smiled and silently laughed to himself, then listened closer. The voice he heard was something he hadn’t heard in a while. This wasn’t your typical drunk stumbling through a song. This voice was powerful and passionate. He had to hear more. 



Deana was now 3 drinks in, feeling less inhibited. “I miss this,” she said, swinging her arm wide, almost hitting a friend in the face.  “I miss the people, hearing everyone sing…”


Danielle laughed. “Glad I brought you out then. Just don’t hate me…”


“Why would I hate you? You’re my best friend?”


She quickly had her answer. The DJ announced, “making a return to our karaoke stage, welcome back Deana!”


“No! You didn’t!” she said, hitting Danielle. 


“Go on up, they all want to hear you.”


“I don’t know what to sing…”


“I already picked one for you. One of my favorites you do.”


Deana walked up to the podium, taking the mic. She felt nervous, despite having done this every week for over a year.  The bar cheered as she stood there. The music started and she had very little time to prepare herself for her first note. Once she heard the introduction, it was like a switch flicked inside of her, and she went from nervous to belting it out. 


“There’s a fire starting in my heart, reaching a fever pitch, and it’s bringing me out the dark”


It was as if no time had passed. She sang with passion and control, the song taking on new meaning after finding herself single again. She channeled all the pain she’d been feeling, pushing back to the edge of her mind, into something so powerful, it surprised even her. 



“We could have had it all, rolling in the deep.  You had my heart inside of your hand, and you played it, with a beating”. 


The crowd clapped as the song broke down to the rhythm, Deana clapping her hand against the microphone in her hand. 


Justin stood outside listening at first, not believing what he was hearing. She sounds almost just like Adele, but the real deal wouldn’t sing her own songs for karaoke. I may not be able to sing right now, but she’s making up for it. 


He slowly walked into the bar, trying not to be recognized. He popped the collar of his jacket up, covering his mouth and neck. 


By the time he got through the crowd to a place where he could see, the song was over and she rushed offstage. 


“Ok, you got me out here, I sang one song, but that’s it.  I’ll come back again, it was fun, but it needs to be on my terms. I know I needed that push, but please don’t do that again,” she said to Danielle. 


“So you’re not mad at me?” Danielle asked hopefully. 


“No. You’re my best friend, you meant well, just trying to get me out of my funk.”


“Last night was a funk buster, too. We haven’t had that much fun in a while.”


“Cause you’ve been with my brother.”


“I know, I’m sorry. I’ll try to make more time for us.  It’s just been REALLY good with him lately…”


“Again, I don’t need a glimpse into your sex life when my brother is involved…”


Justin approached the bartender, pulling out his phone to type. 


Send the girl that just sang another round of whatever she’s having. She sounded amazing.


“Got a name, stranger?”


He shook his head. Just a secret admirer. 


He got a water and sat in the back, hoping she would get back on stage again. He enjoyed the rest of the night, but no one else sang like she did. 


I have to find out who she is, he thought to himself.


“Drink for you from a secret admirer. Said you sounded amazing,” said the bartender. She sipped the Midori sour, blushing that someone bought her a drink. 


“And you didn’t think you’d meet someone.  To your secret admirer, may they not be so secret very soon,” Danielle said, raising her glass, clinking with the one in Deana’s hand. 


The night wound down, people were leaving ahead of last call. 


“Alright everyone, next week come for more karaoke and we’re having a costume contest for an early Halloween night!”


Perfect, Justin thought. I can come back, hear her sing, and be able to blend in and not make a scene.


He walked home, thinking of her. What she might look like, how overwhelming he found her voice. She was like a siren, drawing him in with her song. He could only imagine how beautiful she was to match her beautiful voice. 



Danielle and Deana walked out of the bar, heading for their apartment. “Well, this was a success,” Danielle said. 


“I meant to tell you, guess who came by my work today…”


“Wait, you’re just telling me this NOW?!” Danielle yelled. 


“It slipped my mind, what with getting ready for karaoke and then actually being there.”


“So what happened??”


“I was on bar making drinks. I put one up and next thing I know I look up and there he is like 2 feet from me.  I talked to him, oh I think I died a little.  But in the BEST way.”


“What did he order? What did you talk about?”


“He got some tea with honey. His voice sounded a little rough, probably just a cold or something. I told him he did a great job last night, and I gave him my pickle remedy.”


“That sounds so gross…” Danielle shivered. 


“Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it… But that was it.” 


“Think he’ll come in more since he’s here for the next show?” she asked. 


“I hope so. I’m off tomorrow, I guess today since it’s after midnight.  The next show is tomorrow already, so maybe not.”


“Oh right, Wednesdays are your observation days.  I love that you and Ms. S. are still so close. Watching our first grade teacher for your classes.”


“She’s close with all her students, if they reach out.  She’s my favorite teacher, one of the reasons I want to BECOME a teacher.  I have so many great memories from her class, my parents still have the big projects we did, the different books.  You’re still my best friend, Dani, but you don’t keep the boys away anymore…”


“Can I help it if I had a glow up?” Danielle laughed.


“Um, I hope EVERYONE has had a glow up since first grade…” Deana laughed in reply.  “I just wish it hadn’t taken me so long to get to where things are now.”


“Hey, you did what you had to do back then, you’re doing it now, it’s not like you gave up the dream for good.  Starbucks is paying for you to get this degree.  I know you’ve come to love it there, but it’s not what you were BORN to do.  Teaching is.”


“This is why you’re still my best friend…” Deana said, hugging Danielle as they walked.

 

They got up to the apartment, Deana feeling good about how her day had turned out, compared to how she thought it would.  She fell asleep, excited for the next day.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story