Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Songs: Adele- Set Fire To The Rain, Someone LIke You, Pink- Just Give Me A Reason

It was Tuesday evening. Danielle came by the apartment to eat with Deana before karaoke. Deana made pizzas mostly from scratch, using fresh ingredients from the store on store bought crust. One had a pesto sauce with mushrooms and chicken, the other a more traditional one with sausage, peppers, olives, and mushrooms. 


Deana went to get changed for karaoke while Danielle put away what was left over. She knocked on Deana’s door, opened the door and flopped down on the bed. 


“You know what you’re singing tonight?” Danielle asked.


“I have an idea, yeah…”


“What?”


“You’ll find out. Songs Justin, er, Bruce, can relate to.”


“How so?”


“We both ran into exes the last few days.”


“And I’m just NOW hearing about this?!  Who did you see?”


“Morgan, and Ashley, his few fiancée, wife in a couple weeks…”


“D, you should’ve told me…”


“Whatever. Can’t change what happened. But we both had major ‘what if’ moments.”


She changed into an off the shoulder top, a light floral design with mid length sleeves. She didn’t find it very comfortable, but she knew she looked pretty good in it. She paired it with dark jeans and her tan ankle boots. She did a more natural eye palette and left her hair down. She pulled a brown jacket out of her closet and left it on the couch by the door. 


Justin buzzed to alert them he was there, and they met him downstairs. They walked quietly to the bar, getting a table. 


Deana grabbed drinks and song slips. 


“So I hear you guys admitted to liking each other,” Danielle started. Justin nodded. “About damn time.”


He took out his phone, just in case. 


“Not sure it was a good idea to have her make the first move though.  She’s pretty shy, despite how she seems since you’ve met her.  Even if she likes you, she’s gonna be afraid to make the first move. Not exactly super romantic, either.”


Oh I’ll still do plenty of romantic stuff for her. She was flirting with me last week over texts, so I don’t know that she’s all that shy. 


“What did she say?”


He showed Dani the texts about him threatening to come over and show how much he liked her. 


“Wow, that’s new.”


Wanna know a secret?


“Of course…”


What I REALLY wanted to tell her was that I’d make sweet love to her and show her everything I love about her.


“THAT sounds sexy as hell. But she’s totally not ready for that.”


She’s worth waiting for, even if it kills me. 


“With what you just said, that just might kill HER…” Justin stifled a laugh. 


I’m gonna try and give her as many perfect moments to have our first meaningful kiss, whether she takes the chance or not. 


“You are incredible, you know that? In a good way.  It’s been too long since she’s been with someone that treats her this well, so patient with everything.”


Thanks. He gave her a look as Deana came back with drinks. 


“You turned in your slips already?” Danielle asked. Deana nodded. 


“You’ll notice a theme tonight, just a heads up.”


It was Deana’s turn to go up, and she started singing, looking at Justin. 


“I let it fall, my heart, and as it fell, you rose to claim it”


He loved when she sang Adele, reminding him of when he first heard her sing. He was captivated, watching intently. He continued to be impressed, especially as she went off on an improvised riff at the end of the song, showing her power and range. 


She sat down after she finished, getting another drink. 


That was AMAZING… What is the theme?


“Try and figure it out, I still have two more songs,” she whispered, sending a shiver down his spine. 


Do you need me to hold you, after your run in yesterday?


“Surprisingly, no. I won’t say no if you want to hold me anyway.”


He put his arm around her, pulling him as close to his side as the chairs they sat in allowed. He was sad there wasn’t any booth style seating to get her practically in his lap. 


She moved her hand to hold his around her shoulder, resting her head on his shoulder. They sat, content in the moment, until it was her turn in the rotation again. The music was slower, another Adele song. Her voice, coupled with the words of the song, touched the deepest parts of his soul. 


“I heard that you settled down. That you found a girl and you’re married now. I heard that your dreams came true. Guess she gave you things I didn’t give to you.”


As she got to the chorus, she looked at Justin, her eyes locked on him from across the room. “Never mind I’ll find someone like you…”


Tears started to well up in his eyes, it was painfully beautiful, extremely personal and moving with what they both had been through the last few days. 


Damn, Danielle thought, she just might be giving HIM a romantic moment before kissing him… 


She finished the song, her voice echoing in his head and heart. It was something he didn’t know he’d needed. She kissed his cheek as she sat down. 


“I figured you’d understand why I chose this song,” she whispered. 


He did. They both had felt the pain of seeing the one that got away, but reminding each other of what they had. She would tell him more later, but he felt like he knew all of what she was feeling as she sang. 


“There’s still one more song.  Not the same artist, but definitely a message for you from me.”


His interest was piqued as they sat through the rotation of singers.  He had his arm around the back of her chair, sitting close but more relaxed.  He ran his thumb along her upper arm, a gentle touch that meant more to both of them than they wanted to admit.  


I wish she would let me kiss her, show her everything that is beautiful about her.  I’m not going to push, I know it’ll backfire one way or another.  We’re already building intimacy by being so open with each other, being able to have my arms around her, so I guess that’s a start.  I like feeling this way, a protector and comfort, even when I need comforting myself, he thought.


He’s such a great guy, Deana thought to herself.  To know that he shares that pain of losing someone and being reminded of what was lost in such an up close way.  I’d seen pictures of Morgan and Ashley on social media from friends sharing pictures from things, but it was in scrolling through my feed, and I didn’t linger on it.  Seeing them in person, so up close and in my face, it was so raw.  He must be feeling the same way.  That’s why this next song is perfect.


She finished her drink in time for her last song of the night.  As she walked up, the DJ stopped for a second.  “This is a duet, do you have someone singing with you?”


Deana shook her head.  “No, I’m going to sing both parts.”  The DJ shrugged and started the song.  


Justin was even more curious at how she’d sing a duet by herself.  The first verse was easy, it was a woman’s voice.  “Right from the start, you were a thief, you stole my heart, and I your willing victim.  I let you see the parts of me that weren’t all that pretty, and with every touch you fixed them…”  Once she got to the chorus, the words “we’re not broken just bent, and we can learn to love again” hit him hard.  He knew what she was trying to tell him.


The second verse was the male solo, she changed her pitch just enough to sound different than when she sang the female lead, taking the female notes if it went higher or was more dramatic.  She masterfully switched back and forth, minute differences that most other people wouldn’t understand.  Justin smiled, impressed with her vocality, but the message she was sending to him.  This is a VERY good sign, he thought.


She was ready to go home after her last song, Justin helping her with her jacket before walking out into the night.  


“So, what was the theme tonight?” Danielle asked.


“Well, I’d actually picked these out last week, at least the first two, because I knew this guy liked when I sang Adele.  Then when we both ran into exes, the songs took on a new layer of meaning.  The last one, well, that’s more between the two of us.”


“Am I becoming a third wheel?” Danielle asked, mostly teasing.


“Only because you don’t sing with me, or by yourself,” Deana replied.


“Next week I’ll pick a song to sing with you, happy now?”  Danielle quipped.


“Whatever you want.  You’re my best friend, Dani, you’ll never be a third wheel.  You’ve been better about splitting your time between me and J lately, so I don’t feel like a third wheel, I’ll return the favor when the time comes.”  She looked at Justin and smiled.


They reached the apartment, Danielle heading up to give them privacy.  Deana stood there, standing facing him, smiling and looking into his eyes.  “I’m excited for our date on Saturday.  What’s the dress code?”


Nothing fancy, something like what you’re wearing is fine.  You look great in everything I’ve seen you wear so far.


“Well, I’ve had someone to impress.”


You’ve already done that, now you’re just showing off.


“I know not all of the last song applies to us, we’re not already IN a relationship looking to stay together, but we’re helping each other pick up the pieces.  I’m probably closer to ready than I want to admit, just be patient.  We’ll get there.”


I’ll be here.  I’m in no rush.  I’ll pick you up around 6:30 on Saturday to head to dinner.  I’m looking forward to it, too.  He smiled and held her hands in his before pulling her in for a long, lingering hug.  Her hands against his back, tucked under his arms, his arms near the small of her back.  She rested her head on his chest and shoulder, he tucked his chin against the top of her head.  


“Get a room,” a voice called to the street.  They looked up and it was Danielle, the window from the apartment open slightly.  Deana waved her off, enjoying this closeness with no other expectations.  


“I should get in before it gets too late and too cold.  I’ll talk to you later and see you on Saturday.”  She kissed his cheek, reaching her neck up a little to reach without needing to stand on her toes.  He put his hand to his cheek where she’d kissed him, a smile widening on his face.


Good night, beautiful.  I wish that Saturday was tomorrow just so I could see you again.

 

Deana went upstairs, walked into the apartment, and closed the window Danielle had left open.  She got ready for bed, and fell asleep thinking of him.  Soon, I think I’ll be ready for everything soon… she thought as she fell asleep, a smile on her face.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story