The next morning, Deana’s alarm on her phone went off. The volume was loud enough that she could hear it, but quiet enough that it didn’t wake him. His arm was still around her waist, she almost didn’t want to go. She knew Ms. S. would understand if she canceled for the day, but she also didn’t want to just leave him here alone. She picked up her phone. 


Hi Ms. S., I’m running a little late this morning, hoping I’ll be able to come later. She felt guilty, but she didn’t know how he’d feel if she just left. 


That’s fine sweetie, if you can’t make it don’t stress. 


Deana stayed awake, enjoying being in his arms. She sighed contentedly, Justin pulling her closer in his sleep. Then she laughed, Ryan Reynolds’s voice in her head saying “it’s morning…”, feeling him against her. 


We’re in a good place right now, she thought. No expectations, we can get to know each other before going further. That being said, I think I’m ready to kiss him, I just need the moment to be perfect. Waking up in his arms is pretty perfect, but I don’t know, it could lead to more I’m not ready for. Am I ready for that? Ugh! I overthink everything… I’ll just kiss his cheek when he wakes up, play it safe. 


She pushed her thoughts out of her head, enjoying being in his arms. He slowly woke up some time later. 


“Good morning,” she said happily, turning to face him. She kissed his cheek, smiling as they laid in bed. 


He grabbed his phone to check the time. Don’t you have your thing at the school?


“I canceled, I didn’t want to just leave you here and have it be awkward. Gives us some time together before I go to work, I can make breakfast.”


I would’ve understood if you left. I knew it was something you had to do. It’s not like we had sex and you snuck out… And I’ll make breakfast. 


“Such a sweet guy you are,” she said as she kissed his cheek again. “I’ll give you a minute in case you need to, you know…” She looked down with her eyes, and he blushed a bit at what she meant. 


Sorry…


“Don’t be. It’s a natural response. Not like it’s the first time I’ve dealt with that, won’t be the last. Though it’s the first time it hasn’t led to some morning action…”


It’s not what you want.


“I mean, I thought and over thought about it enough. We’ll get there.  Meet you out in the kitchen. You want coffee or something?”


Do you have any tea?  Coffee’s not the best for my throat right now. 


“I have a really good Earl Grey, it’s my favorite.”


I’ll take a cup. He smiled at her as she walked down the hall. 


By the time he came down the hall, the kettle on the stove was whistling. Deana took the kettle off the stove, putting the water into the cups on the counter. 


“Cat or dog?” she asked. 


He looked confused. Dog?


She held up two tea strainers, one with a cat on top, the other a dog. “Good, I’m a cat person myself. I like dogs, but our neighbors had a loud dog that would scare me if I got too close to the fence. I was scared of most medium and large dogs until college, I’m still skittish around loud barking dogs.”


I’ve never seen strainers like those before. Pretty cool. 


“I’ve got a collection. I’m an Earl Grey aficionado, I’ve got a bunch of different blends from around the world. Friends bring me back a tin from business trips or vacations, and I look for interesting strainers for any loose leaf teas I get. My favorite is an octopus, it looks like it’s shooting out ink.”


Lemme see what’s in the fridge and I’ll whip us up some breakfast. He opened the fridge and some cupboards, getting a feel for what she had on hand. Go watch TV or something so it’s a bit of a surprise. 


Deana got up and moved to the couch with her tea, watching the Today show. She could hear the sounds of chopping, cracking eggs, the popping of the toaster, and the stove turning on. She heard the sizzle of things hitting the pan. It felt like their first date, using her other senses to tell her what it could be. There was no distinct smell, with the exception of bell peppers. 


He walked towards the couch with two plates, one for each of them. There was a breakfast scramble of eggs mixed with sausage, mushrooms, and bell peppers, with English muffins with grape jelly. 


“This looks amazing, thank you,” she said as she took the plate. She took a bite of the eggs. “Oh my gosh, you make this better than I do! What’s your secret?”


I’ll never tell, it’s a secret… He smiled slyly at her. They enjoyed their food as they watched TV.  Justin took their plates when she was finished, getting started on dishes. 


“I can help with that…” she said, getting up. He looked at her with soft eyes, motioning for her to sit back down. “You spoil me, you know that?” she yelled. 


That’s the point…


She walked over and put her arms around him, her head resting between his shoulder blades. He’d kept his shirt on all night. 


“So when do I get to see what’s under the shirt?” she laughed. 


We’ll cross that bridge when we’re ready for it. 


“You think I’m not?” 


I think once you see it you’re gonna want to do things you’re not ready for. 


“That sure of yourself, are ya?”


I’m working out twice a day to keep in shape, if not get in better shape during this downtime. So kinda, yeah. 


“I’m not complaining based on what I’m seeing, I just wasn’t sure if you felt comfortable enough…”


Oh I’m more than comfortable with it unless I’m cooking, but I wanted to fight off extra temptation for you. 


“Well thanks, I guess,” she said, a little disappointed. She smiled at him, along with the mental image she had in her head. 


You need me to walk with you to work?


“No, I’ll be good. Thanks for the offer. I can cancel with Ms. S. and feel guilty, but I really can’t call out of work just to stay home with you. As much as I really want to.”


I’m here whenever you want. 


“Don’t tell me that, you might as well move in,” she laughed. 


We’ll get there, maybe, hopefully. 


“You really think so?” she asked expectantly. 


I’d like to share a bed with you every night, waking up to your face every morning. 


“You say that now…”


And I mean it. Don’t you?


“Yeah. I should let you get going, I need to start getting ready for work. Shower, get dressed and all that. Reduce temptation for either of us.”


She walked him to the door, holding him close in a lingering embrace. They exchanged kisses on the cheek before he walked down the hall. She waited for him at the window, waving as he got to the street. 


I’ll talk to you later, beautiful.  He blew her a kiss and then walked down the street. She felt her heart swell as she watched him leave. 


She got in the shower, then got dressed and ready for work. She pulled her hair into a high bun, put her glasses on, and headed out the door. Her good mood carried her to work. 


She walked through the door, clocked in, and took her spot working bar. A coworker called to her, “your boyfriend was in here earlier…”


“Really? I didn’t even tell him which one I work at…”


“I meant Justin, he just left like 10 minutes ago. I think he was a little disappointed you weren’t here. But you have a boyfriend now? That’s great!” she said. 


“Well, not officially, no.”


“I’m sure Justin will be glad to know he still has a chance,” she teased with a wink. Deana gave her a playful shove. 


She felt a little sad that she’d missed another interaction with Justin, but knew she couldn’t see him EVERY time he came in. She wouldn’t let her bother her and bring her down from the night and morning she’d had. 


On her break, Deana checked her phone. She has a text from Danielle. So, how did it go last night?


She smiled. He stayed over, if that’s what you’re asking…


Did he sleep on top of the sheets again?


Not that it’s any of your business, but no. I felt comfortable enough to have him under with me. 


Did you kiss?


Just on the cheek. 


D, you gotta make your move…


I already have a plan in mind, does that make you happy?


Yeah? Really? 


Yes. I just hope it works…


D, the guy is hooked. Whatever your plan is, it’s gonna work. I’m glad you feel ready though. 


I wanted to this morning. I canceled with Ms. S. so I wasn’t sneaking off, and he made me breakfast. 


So why didn’t you?


Well, we were still in bed, I could feel him against me…  I was worried it would get too much too fast. 


Wait, you mean you felt HIM?  Oh my god…


I mean, it was first thing in the morning, but we talked about things last night. I think both of us wanted it, but I’m still not ready. 


Being ready to kiss him is a step in the right direction though. It’s a MAJOR step for the two of you. What do you think it’s gonna be like?


Perfect. Soft, slow, sweet.  Like in the movies, romantic and perfect…


Then bam, you’re naked in bed together catching your breath ...???? 


Not right away. Our relationship has been this slow burn, savoring each moment before going to the next. We won’t cheapen the moment by going right to bed. I mean, beyond to snuggle and sleep. I know it’s been difficult for him, but he’s really trying. 


Couldn’t give me the double entendre, could you?


Nope, that would be too easy. But seriously, it’ll happen sooner than either of us might expect, I’m feeling very comfortable with him, he’s not trying to take advantage like Paul did. Morgan wouldn’t have stuck around this long with nothing physical.  But Bruce, he’s different. I think this could be it, Dani. I’m afraid to jinx it but at the same time… Shit, my break is almost up. TTYL 


She continued her shift, still feeling good about where she and Justin were at. She found her mind wandering back to waking up that morning, the conversation about him working out twice a day, how safe she felt in his arms. 


On her lunch, she checked her phone again.


Hey beautiful, do you have any plans for dinner?  I can come by, or just have something sent over… I know you’re at work so I’ll just wait for your response.


She thought a bit.  She was closing, then opening up the next morning, not a lot of time to eat anything but a quick bite before going to bed.


Not tonight, Wednesdays are my crammed day.  Once I get home I eat a little bit, then go right to bed so I can open in the morning.  Tomorrow should work.


Would you want me to stay the night?


Want? Yes.  But it’s up to you.  I’m up before dawn for work so I’ll definitely be gone by the time you get up.  I’m ok if you just want to bring dinner over, eat with me, then go home.  My feelings won’t be hurt.


Let’s do that.  I get to see you, and you can still be responsible for work.  The usual?


Sounds great.  


See you then.  Have a great rest of your day/night.  

 

She had a renewed sense of happiness that carried her through the rest of her day.  She grabbed something small to eat on her way home so she could just crawl into bed.  It felt lonely without him there, but she knew she couldn’t have that all the time, could she?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story