Justin woke up first, smiling that she was still in his arms. He tried moving his arm to get up, but she pulled his arm back around her. 


“Uh uh, stay…” she lightly moaned, half awake. 


He rolled onto his back which rolled her onto her back. He then pulled her to her other side and draped her arm around him. He grabbed his phone with his free arm. 


I need to pee…


She groaned. “Fine… but be quick.”  She pointed to her master bath. He got up and closed the door behind him. Seemingly moments later he came back out and into bed. 


“Good morning,” she hummed, kissing him on the cheek. “I really could get used to this every morning…”


Me too. I’m scared of going back on the road, being so far away from you, us going to bed alone each night, and waking up alone each morning. 


“You won’t be on the road forever… just a few more months, right?  We’ll make it work.”


Why don’t you take a shower, relax a bit under the warm water, and I’ll make some breakfast and tea. 


“The scramble thing you made was delicious, I think I still have more of everything.”


Pancakes, too?  I make a mean stack of pancakes… 


“Sounds good.”


Justin got out of bed and headed down the hall towards the kitchen. Deana got undressed while the water heated up for her shower. Once she got in the tub, the water somehow felt soothing over her skin. Like it was washing away all of her worries. She washed and conditioned her hair, washed her face, and even decided to finally use the body scrub that she’d had sitting on one of her shelves on her shower caddy. As she finished finding everything off, she felt almost like a new woman. She turned the water off and started to get out of the tub. 



Justin had started breakfast, prepping the veggies for the scramble. He was surprised by how thin the walls were, he could swear he thought he heard Deana singing. He looked for his phone to take pictures of the breakfast process, realizing he’d left it in her bedroom. 


He quietly padded down the hall and walked into her room. The water in the shower was off. He grabbed his phone and turned to leave when he saw her. She was putting her wet hair up in a towel, nothing else on. He froze for a second, torn between wanting to watch her and going back to making breakfast. Her eyes were closed, humming as she towel dried her hair. 


He saw every curve of her body, and fought the urge to sneak up behind her and hold her close to him. He liked what he saw, to the point where his pants would betray him. He backed out of the bedroom silently, out of sight before she turned around and headed into her bedroom to get dressed. She didn’t notice his phone had been there and was now missing, none the wiser about what Justin had just seen. 


He had everything prepped- the veggies started cooking in the pan, the eggs whipped up and waiting to go in; the bigger pan for pancakes warming up, the batter ready in a bowl. He was like a well oiled machine, going back and forth between the two pans, stirring the eggs after letting them cook a bit, and flipping or pouring pancake batter. 


Deana silently watched him, standing at the edge of the living room. She was in awe, impressed by his cooking abilities. He started getting out the plates as he finished cooking, she snuck up behind him as he opened her cabinet. 


He shuddered a bit in surprise, thankful she’d come from behind him and didn’t try to hug him face to face. He didn’t want to have to try and explain his bulge in his pants. 


She took the plates from him, helping to dish things up before turning towards the table. He was glad to sit for a while, hoping it would go away on its own. 


She was again impressed by the eggs, but the pancakes were amazing. “What’s your secret? You must teach me your ways…” she laughed. 


Have you been flirting with me this whole time just for my pancakes recipe? ???? I add a little, or a lot, of vanilla and a touch of cinnamon. Gives it a nice balance of sweet and spice. 


“They are delicious, I would feel bad putting syrup on these.”


Try them with some powdered sugar though, that’s almost literally the icing on the (pan)cake. See what I did there? ????


“To quote Princess Bride, ‘yes, yes, you’re very smart…’”  she teased.  She put some powdered sugar over the pancakes and took a bite.  “OK, eating other pancakes just seems wrong now…  Are you usually a good cook?”


I like food, so I’ve learned a few things.  I can follow basic recipes, so maybe?


As they ate, Justin kept having to push the mental image of her out of his head, finidng it a little more difficult each time.  A smile seemed plastered on his face.


“What’re you so happy about over there?”


You.  He wasn’t lying.  


Deana’s phone buzzed.  “Hey J, any update?  Right, I guess that’s why you’re calling…  Yeah, uh huh, ok.  Let me take care of some things and then head over.  Thanks.  Love you too.  Bye J.”


Justin felt a little awkward at her brother having his usual nickname.  It was nice hearing her say those words, and hoped he’d hear them said to him sooner than later.  He looked at her, curious about the phone call.


“They’re prepping her for surgery right now.  Should be a few hours, no point sitting there the whole time in the waiting room.  I figure we have a couple extra hours together before I go and wait for her to be out of recovery and into her room.”


I want to go with you.


“Babe, you don’t have to do that…”


Babe?  I like it.


“Yeah, not sure where that came from, but I can call you that if you want me to.  Better than Justin, right?” she said with a wink.


You can still call me Justin, but I like Babe, too.  Tells me we’re heading in the right direction with everything.


“I guess so, yeah.  I mean, we’ve ‘slept together’ three times now,” she said, using air quotes.  “You sure you wanna meet my mom?”


With any luck she’ll still be drugged up.  I didn't necessarily say I want to meet her, just that I want to go with you, for support.


“I’ll have my brother, maybe Dani…”


I WANT to be there for you.  I can get you guys food, whatever you need so you can focus on Mom.


“If you’re sure, I don’t want…”


It won’t be an inconvenience.  I have plenty of downtime right now.  I’d rather spend it with you than at home, alone.  


She nodded.  “OK.”


What things do you need to take care of?


“I just said that so he wouldn’t know I have you over.  He may be dating and sleeping with my best friend, but he can be a bit overprotective, especially after Paul…”


So no ACTUAL errands or things you need to worry about?  She shook her head.  Good.  I’ll do the dishes while you get Friends up and going?  She got up and headed to the couch, getting things ready.  


“Want me to wait for you to start watching?”  He shook his head and swiped his hand in the air to say no, to start without him.  They had only just finished the one episode and barely started another before their tickle fight, even then they were only half paying attention.  TYhe were watching ‘The One With The List’, and got to the part where Rachel finds the list, reading off the pros and cons.  


Deana paused the episode.  “What would you say the pros and cons are for me?”


Justin internally panicked a bit.  The pros are easy.  You’re beautiful, funny, smart, caring, absolutely sexy, you’re a great singer, a good friend… I could go on for a while but I know how you are with compliments.


“And the cons?”


That you don’t see your own worth.  The biggest one?  That I know I’ll have to leave at some point for work.  


“That’s not a con, that’s just how things go…”


It’s a downside of being with anyone right now.  But I can’t imagine a life without you in it anymore.  I’m afraid to try, and I’ll have to actually do it sooner rather than later…


She continued the episode, trying to stay on happier thoughts, for both of them.  She knew he’d have to go back to work sometime, but didn’t like that thought of being away from him, either…



They finished a few more episodes before deciding to head over to the hospital.  Her brother had been texting her updates, and Mom was almost out of surgery if everything was going well.  They hadn’t had any updates to say otherwise, so they headed over.  


Deana wasn’t sure whether to be surprised, or come to expect it, when they got out onto the street and the black car with her favorite driver was out in front.  


“Good morning, Miss.  Almost good afternoon,” he smiled.


They got in the car.  “Do you have him on call?” she whispered.


It’s a service, but he’s my guy, so I guess?  He’s happy for the extra work when I’m here, and happy to have such a nice, beautiful woman to drive around.  Deana blushed, sure he was just saying that to compliment her.  


They pulled up to the hospital, Justin pulling up his hoodie, zipping it up all the way, hoping to avoid being recognized.  No one should be expecting him at a hospital, as far as paparazzi went, but who knows where they had spotted him.  He hadn’t heard anything from his management about any pictures going around, so he figured he was safe so far, and so was Deana.


They walked into the surgery waiting room, joining her brother and Danielle.  Danielle gave Justin a quick hug, a little surprised he was there.  She smiled to herself at seeing Deana so happy, in spite of the circumstances.


“So, you’re the new guy my sister’s seeing, huh?” Jonathan said, trying to size up Justin.  They were around the same height, but Jonathan was a thinner build.  He wasn’t exactly trying to intimidate Justin, but also wasn’t really intimidated by him, either.


Jonathan reached out his hand, pulling Justin in a little closer in a handshake.  “Dani’s told me a lot about you, thanks for being so good to my sister.  Nice to know I don’t need to worry about her so much now, it seems she’s in great hands.


“I’m a grown up, J, I can take care of myself…”


“I know, but I worry.  After Morgan, then Paul, you need a good man in your life.”


“You’re sounding like Mom, J…”


“Sorry.  Just happy you’re happy.”


Deana looked up at Justin.  “I am…” she sighed.


They sat down, not really sure what to do as they waited.  


“So, what do you do?  Hell, I don’t even know your name…”


“You’ve heard a lot about him, but Dani never said his name?” Deana responded.  “HIs name is Bruce, he’s in the entertainment industry.”


“You gonna answer for him all day?” Jonathan snapped.


“He’s lost his voice, bad allergies or cold or something…”


“You realize I’m a DOCTOR, right?  I can get you checked out if you need…”


“He’s seen a doctor, he’ll be ok.  Though if you can direct him to an ophthalmologist… He needs his eyes checked…”  Jonathan gave her a curious look.  “He keeps telling me I’m beautiful, I tell him he needs his eyes checked.”


“Don’t mind my sister, she’s been like that for years, self deprecating humor…”


“Everyone else does it, I might as well join in.  You had enough to work with over the years to make fun of me…”


“I’m your brother, I do it out of LOVE.”


Deana rolled her eyes and huffed.


Justin pulled Jonathan aside, Deana and Danielle looking at each other in confusion.


Justin took out his phone, using the Notes app instead of texting like he did with Deana.  If I tell you something, anything, you technically can’t tell Deana due to doctor/patient confidentiality?


“Well, I guess that depends on what it is.  You can’t just tell me you have VD and not her…” he joked, cracking a smile.


So I actually have bruised vocal cords, I’m in the middle of vocal rest in an attempt to heal them and keep away from another surgery.


“Why would that matter to Deana?”


Because of who I actually am…


“So, your name isn’t Bruce…?”


You can’t tell her, right?  Doctor/patient confidentiality?  You can’t tell Danielle, either…


“I guess I can stretch it to cover this… Who ARE you, really?”


You can’t tell by looking at me?  


“Should I?”


I guess I’m not as familiar a face as I thought…  He pulled out his wallet, handing Jonathan his driver’s license.  


Jonathan’s eyes went wide.  “Wow, was NOT expecting that.  I’ll keep your secret, but Deana is gonna FLIP once she figures this all out.  Why are you hiding it from her?”


I want her to like the real me, not just for my name and all that comes with it.


“Well, you’ve been spoiling her enough that you’re not exactly being low key about things.  By how Dani talks, she really likes you.  I meant what I said earlier, you’ve been really good for her lately.  Until now you were just some pop star my sister was obsessed with as a teenager.  Now, you’re a great guy that’s dating my sister.  Yeah, huge curveball, man.  Dani said you looked like him, I honestly don’t follow you too closely to know.”


Let’s head back over before they really start to worry…


They headed back to the girls.


“What was that about?” Deana asked.


“Just clearing the air on a few things.  You’ve got a great guy here, D.”


She looked at him, putting a hand on his arm.  “I know.”



Soon a doctor came out to the group, Mom was out of surgery and recovered, they were moving her up to her room.  She would stay one day before being released.  She would need therapy and follow up appointments, but that would all be sorted out upon release.


They went up to see Mom, Justin waiting outside the room, with his hoodie up and closed , his head down, looking through various things on his phone.  It sounded like things were going well, no raised voices or awkward silences, just talking and laughter.  


“Deana, I’d love to meet the guy you’re seeing, at some point.  He can’t get away that easily, Danielle sure didn’t.”  Justin smiled.


“Mom, you’ve known Dani since we were like 3, she never had to go through the ringer…”


“Oh, you just never saw it,” Danielle chipped in.  “She’s sneaky like that…”


They stayed a little bit before letting her get some rest.  They walked down to the lobby.  “I’ll see what I can do with physical therapy and all that.  Once I made junior partner I added Mom and Dad onto my insurance.  Dad’s was shit compared to mine for around the same price.  That should help keep costs down for them,” Jonathan said.  


Justin looked at Deana, nudging her.  “He told me yesterday he wants to help however he can.  His work is on a break right now, so he has time to do things or help out as needed, maybe with ordering groceries or meals.  Just don’t introduce him as my significant other, Mom might just kidnap him and take him hostage…” Deana laughed.  


“I think we’ll be OK, but thanks for the offer.  I’ll let Deana know if she needs anything.”


Their car and driver were waiting out front.  Danielle waved hello, the gentleman waved back with a smile.  Justin and Deana got back in the car and went back to Deana’s apartment.  


Significant other? He texted her.  


“Well, I wasn’t sure if I should call you my boyfriend or not, we still haven’t kissed.  I was afraid to put a word to it and scare you a bit.”


I like it, it says that I’m important to you.  Boyfriend/girlfriend does sound a little juvenile in our mid 30s…  So I’m just dropping you off, as much as I want to stay.  I had a great time, in spite of the crap with your Mom.  I’ll walk you up to your apartment, then head home.  Need to get in those workout sessions, keep myself looking hot for you… he smiled a goofy grin.


“I’m glad you came over and decided to stay.  I’m really glad my brother is on board with all this, that he likes you.  I think Dani has a lot to do with that, softening the blow.”


They arrive at Deana’s building, taking her up to her place.  He kissed her on the cheek and gave her a tight squeeze of a hug.  As she opened her apartment door, he headed down the hall to go back downstairs.  She waved and they blew each other kisses before he got in the sedan and rode off.


“When I see him at karaoke, no matter what, I’m gonna kiss him…” she said out loud to herself.

 

Justin sat in the car.  When I see her at karaoke, no matter what happens, I’m gonna kiss her…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story