Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Songs: Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day-My Eyes, Evanescence- Bring Me To Life, B-52’s- Love Shack

The next few days flew by.  Justin was getting ready for a show in Charlotte, Deana and Dani were having dinner before karaoke. 


Hey, according to the DJ’s Facebook page, they now will be streaming karaoke on the internet. So you can still see me without even being here, Deana told him. 


Justin checked it out, and there would be a live stream, but the videos would stay up for a week until the next one.  


Perfect. I can’t watch live tonight, but I can watch it after, even show you off to my friends on the crew. 


Show me off, huh?


Why not? You’re beautiful, soon they’ll know you can sing, too.


Please… Those people are professionals, they don’t wanna hear someone like me. 


They’ll appreciate it all the more, because you do it for the fun of it, even though you totally could be like one of us “professional” types. 


Well, I’m still working on the songs for tonight, but I’ll pick some new ones you haven’t heard that I think you’ll like.   Gotta go, but glad you can still hear me sing tonight. 



Justin went to the tech booth before the show started. “Hey, quick question. I know we can project stuff from our show on the screens, can we project other stuff, from the internet?”


“Depends on what you’re wanting to watch,” he replied nervously. 


“My girl is doing karaoke tonight and they’re streaming it online. I wanna have people watch after the crowd leaves.”


“I think we can arrange that. Will it be live?”


“Part of it. But she’ll probably be done by then, we’ll see if they can let us watch from the beginning.  If we can, can we do it?”


“Sure, boss.”


Justin clapped him on the back and headed backstage, fans were starting to be let in. 



The girls entered the bar, taking their normal seats at a long bar in the middle, facing the stage. Deana felt a hand on her shoulder. 


“If you need someone to sing with, I can help you out.”  She slowly turned around. 


“Well, there is one I’m thinking of that I’d need help with…”


“I’d love your voice on my songs tonight. If that’s ok.”


“I guess, but that’s it.”


“Hey, hey, I’m not like that anymore. Give a guy a chance…”


“I’m sorry.”


“You look great tonight, just saying. Where’s your boyfriend?”


“None of your business…”


“Sorry I mentioned it. You will sing with me tonight, right?”


“Yes, Paul, I’ll sing with you. But that’s it. You don’t sit with me, nothing like before. I go home alone with Danielle…”


“Then you’re not alone, are you?”


“I’m not going anywhere with YOU, how about that…”


They put their song slips in, Deana feeling a little nervous about singing with him again after all this time. She knew everyone at the bar had her back, just in case, but her nightmare over a month ago crept into her head. 


The DJ called them up for their first song. She knew the song, liked it, and made up her mind she was singing her part for Justin, not Paul. 


Paul had the first verse, he was doing really well, but a certain line seemed to make her feel uneasy.  “And it’s plain to see, evil inside of me is in the rise…”


It went into her verse, and she thought of Justin and the hope she had for their relationship. 


The next verse was then singing together, their lines overlapping each other. It used words that sounded the same at certain points, but couldn’t have been more different. 


“And it’s plain to see…”


“...evil inside of me…” Paul sang. 


“...rapture inside of me…” Deana sang.


“... is on the rise.”



It felt good to sing with him again, but also felt so strange after almost 6 months without him. She sat back down next to Danielle, Paul headed farther back. 


“You told Bruce they’re putting this online, right?” Danielle asked nervously. 


“Yeah, why?”


“The first karaoke without him here and you’re singing with PAUL?  Not a smart move…”


“I told him we’re singing, but that’s it. I’m not going anywhere with him, he’s not leaving here with me. I’m walking back with you and it was the end of it. He has nothing to worry about.”


“Just saying he might flip out a bit…”


“I didn’t even LOOK at Paul during that song. At some point he owes me an amends, I’m just trying to be nice so he can feel comfortable to do it and we both can move on.”


“Ok. As long as Paul knows the boundaries. He better know everyone in this bar would tear him limb from limb if he tries anything again…”


Her phone buzzed.  Hey, the show’s over. Are you still at karaoke?”


She smiled.  Yeah, got a couple more songs to do, I think I’m almost up again. 


Can’t wait to see you.


“He’s watching. This is perfect, my song is definitely about him and how he’s changed my life.”



Justin had a bunch of the crew gathered to watch Deana sing. It was her turn, but he saw someone else on stage with her. 


“What the FUCK?!” he yelled, then getting very quiet realizing other people were with him. His hands balled into fists, his knuckles white as he squeezed his hands. 


She started singing, not looking at Paul. “How can you see into my eyes like open doors? Leading you down into my core, where I’ve become so numb.”


“Yeah, leading him into your core, I bet…” he muttered under his breath. 


He grabbed his phone. We need to talk later…


Danielle saw his text on her phone. “Shit, this can’t be good,” she said to herself. 


They watched her sing, Deana doing her best to act like Paul wasn’t even there, but it didn’t matter to Justin. He sat in silence, wanting to stop everything and leave. Every second he stayed ate away at him. 


Deana sat down, and Danielle showed her the text. 


“I’ll be right back, I gotta clear things up…” she headed to the back alley. She didn’t see Paul back there having a cigarette. 


Justin felt his phone ring. “I gotta take this,” he said, excusing himself. 


“Hi…” Deana said. 


He ran towards his dressing room for privacy. “Seriously Deana, what the FUCK were you thinking singing with HIM of all people?!”


“I know. It’s not like that. I told him that’s all that is happening. He doesn’t know you’re on your, but he does know Dani is taking me home and that’s it. Nothing else is happening between us but singing karaoke. I’m trying to be nice, so he feels comfortable when it’s time for him to make amends. I hadn’t sung a duet since everything happened. I know it was a poor choice of who to sing with, but I made it crystal clear nothing else is going to happen.”


“Ok. I feel a little bit better, but I’m still not exactly happy about it…”


“I know. I’m not either. But I’m trying to be nice.  With what happened last week, I wouldn’t be so stupid to mess things up.  I have one more song with him, and that’s it.”


“I miss you…” his voice was sad, almost desperate. 


“I miss you, too.  This has been so hard already. I didn’t want our first phone call to be an argument…”


“I know. Me either. I love you.”


Her eyes widened. ”I love you too, babe.”


Paul heard all of her side of the conversation, slinking back into the bar unnoticed. 


“If it helps, they all think you’re great.  They see the talent I do. You got this. I’ll let you get back in, I’m just worried about you with Paul.”


“I know, but I made things very clear.”


“I’m glad I get to see you, even if it is on a giant screen.”


“Wait, what?”


“I got permission to put the feed up on the giant screens for the tour.”


“You didn’t…”


“They may want to make this a weekly thing…”


“I guess I can’t disappoint my fans then, can I? Talk to you later.”


“Text me that you got home ok.”


“Will do. Bye baby.”


“Bye beautiful.”


It was her turn for her last song. Justin hurried back out so he wouldn’t miss it. She was back up there with Paul. He was still uneasy, but more about Paul than Deana. 


Paul started off the song. “If you see a faded sign at the side of the road that says fifteen miles to the love shack…”


She was having fun, but still not really interacting with Paul. The crew was enjoying her performance. “She’s a great girl, Justin. She’s good, have you told her that?” 


“I’ve told her, but she doesn’t see it. I’ve told her I can get her a meeting with labels, if that’s what she wants. I don’t know that she likes it more than a hobby. She wants to be a teacher.  I’m glad you guys like her, I was worried about telling a lot of people.”


“Why?”


“She’s worried about her weight, and I know she doesn’t look like the types of women I’ve dated before. But I don’t see all that, I just see her. You know? I see a beautiful woman.”


“That’s great, though. Clearly she makes you happy and that’s what matters.”


“Let’s call it a night so those that need to tear down can get to work…”


Justin, the band, and dancers all headed to the hotel. He was ready for bed once he got into his room; getting ready and looking at his picture frame. 

 

His phone buzzed with a picture of her with Dani in their apartment. He was about to sleep soundly knowing she was home safe. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story