Author's Chapter Notes:

Songs: Christina Perry- Jar of Hearts, Evanescence- Call Me When You’re Sober

It was Tuesday night again. Justin was in New Orleans for a show. He sent her pictures of different touristy places around the arena, some of the food he ate, and more artsy things like trees or scenery. 


He was in his dressing room when his phone buzzed. 


On our way to karaoke. Not repeating last week, just singing by myself this week. Hoping you get the theme of my songs. Have a great show, I miss you. 


This is Deana, right?


Yes…


Hi, it’s Justin. 


I know…


How?  I just texted you…


Wait, THE Justin?


As opposed to…?


I call Bruce you cuz he dressed like you from an SNL sketch one night at karaoke. 


Yes, THE Justin. Can’t wait to watch you own it tonight. You’re really good, you know that?


Yeah, Bruce tells me that a lot. 


If you won’t listen to him, maybe you’ll listen to me. You’re good, like REALLY good. 


Yeah? You think so?


You think I don’t know talent when I see it?


No, I’m sorry. I just didn’t think I was good enough for someone like you to notice…


Well, I definitely noticed. I’ve got my eye on you for my next album, just wait…


Wow, I’m honored. Ok, surprised is the exact word I’m looking for. 


I hear you’re a fan. 


Yeah, from back in the day. Like MMC days, then *NSYNC to now. 


Now I’M honored. 


I hope you have a great show tonight. I can’t wait for your birthday show here in NYC. 


Yeah, he told me he’s got some special stuff planned, even asked me to help out a bit…


Sometimes he does too much…


The way he talks about you, I’m not surprised. That’s the kind of guy he is. Over the top, but he means well, it comes from a good place. 


Yeah, you’re right. I don’t want to waste more of your time, but thank you for this. Definitely the highlight of my day (just don’t tell Bruce). 


I’ll delete your text so he doesn’t see it. It’ll be our little secret ????  


He put his phone down. That’s just what she needed before karaoke, and was fun for me, he thought to himself. 



“I can’t believe I was texting with THE Justin Timberlake just now on Bruce’s phone!!” Deana squeaked. 


“Not many of us regular folk can say that. You’re somebody, now…” Dani smiled. 


The girls got to the bar; Deana turned in her song slips while Danielle bought drinks. 


“Tonight, we celebrate. I’m claiming a cheat night with lots of drinks. Justin Timberlake thinks I have talent!”


“Ugh, and Paul just walked in…” Danielle sighed in disgust. 


“Another reason to drink, forget he’s even here…”


It was soon her turn. She took the mic, jumping right into the song. 


“I can’t take one more step towards you, cuz all that’s waiting is regret. Don’t you know I’m not your ghost anymore? You lost the love I loved the most. I learned to live half alive. Now you want me one more time…”


She sang loud and strong, trying not to make eye contact with Paul, but singing to him. She wished Bruce was there, he’d be so proud of her on so many levels. 


She slammed her drink, getting another, then another. 


“Easy, tiger, pace yourself,” Danielle warned. 


“I’m a big girl, I can handle myself. I’ll stop until it’s my next song, then have another couple. These were to celebrate, the others to forget what’s his face.”


Her phone buzzed. Did you like my little surprise earlier?


It was definitely a surprise. 


He was being modest. He wanted you to come on tour. He told me he’d cover any expenses, thought it would be a good experience for you. 


We’ve talked about this. It’s too much. I’m not ready for such a big change. Moving in with you is one thing, but please stop pushing this. Yeah it’d be great to be around professionals, but I’m nowhere NEAR their level…


They’d be more than glad to give you tips, there’s plenty of time during travel to teach you stuff…


Babe, stop. I’m not ready to just up and quit my job. What do we do if something happens and we decide it’s not working?


Why wouldn’t it work anymore?


Ok, what if I can’t handle being on the road, a different city every other night?  It sounds great, but I don’t know that I’m made for it long term. 


Just try for two weeks, babe…


Enough. I need more time to think about it. Have a great show, but I’m done talking about this. If I bring it up, let me bring it up. Please stop. 


Ok. I’ll talk to you after the show. Sorry. 


They sat through the rotation and it was her turn again. She’d sung the song before, but she meant it now more than ever with Paul in the audience. 


“Don't cry to me, if you loved me, you would be here with me. You want me, come find me. Make up your mind…”


She felt every word of the song, hoping Paul heard the anger in every note she sang. 


She had two more drinks once she was done.


Danielle’s phone buzzed. “It’s J. He wants me home. You gonna be ok?”


“I’ll be fine. I can handle myself. It’s a safe area.”


Danielle left, and Deana had one more drink. 


Deana felt a tap on her shoulder. “Hey, can we talk? I’ve had time to think and I’m ready to make amends.”


Deana sighed. “Fine, Paul, go ahead.”


“I don’t wanna do this here. Too much temptation to drink. Can I walk you home?”


She sighed again. “Fine.”


They walked to her place, she fumbled with her keys. “Let me,” he offered. She gave him his keys and he unlocked the door. 


“Had a bit to drink, huh?” He said, crossing the room to the couch. 


“Yeah. First to celebrate, then to forget…”


“What?”


“I got to talk to one of my idols earlier tonight. Then Bruce kept pushing me going on the road with him, I’m not ready.”


“On the road?”


“He’s on tour with Justin Timberlake. They’re doing a show in New Orleans right now…. Anyways, you’re here to make amends.”


“Right. I was wrong for treating you the way I did…. I’m sorry.”


“That’s IT?!  THAT is your amends?!”


“No. I should’ve given you what you deserved, not seeing anyone else. I had a lot of time to think these last few months. I think I’m ready to give you what you need.”


“And what’s that?”


He kissed her deeply. She pulled away. 


“I have Bruce, I can’t…”


“He‘s not here. He left you. He could’ve chosen not to go. Is he even your boyfriend?”


“No, we haven’t put a label on things…”


“Because he wants to keep his options open, like I used to.”


“No, it’s me.”


“You don’t want to be with him?”


“I do, but I don’t want to scare him with too much.”


“He’s pushing you to do things? That doesn’t sound like a considerate guy…”


“He just misses me…”


“I missed you too, and I came back for you. I’m here, he’s not.  We could be together. You know how good it was. It could be like that again…”


He kissed her again. Between the alcohol and his words, she melted into his arms. 


“Let me make you feel good, just one more time…”


She nodded, her lips against his, and they went into her bedroom.



Justin felt like an idiot for pushing her to go on tour with him. If she knew it was ME, she might reconsider, he thought. I’ll leave it alone until I’m back in NYC, see if things change once she knows it’s me. 


They got things ready and loaded the karaoke video. Their video guy went to the beginning, but Justin thought it was live, forgetting the hour time difference. 


So when he saw Deana sing her first song, he thought she was singing about him. His heart broke that she was singing with so much pain in her voice. 


She must have changed what songs she wanted after our argument, he thought. She seems really upset. I need to apologize, make things right. 


They watched into her second song, Justin noticing how angry she sounded. I gotta do something big. A simple ‘I’m sorry’ isn’t enough.


He started thinking of what to do, he’d get things going in the morning. He was astounded at how well she sang, but was sad he was the reason for the songs she chose. 


He got back to his hotel room, looking at his phone. 


I know I’m sorry didn’t cover what I did tonight, but I wanted to tell you before I went to bed. I hope you can forgive me, I just miss you and wish you could be here with me. 



Deana woke up in the early in the morning, before the sun was up, feeling an arm around her. She smiled, and turned to face him. 


“Paul,” she gasped. Her head was pounding, and suddenly things became clear. 

 

“Shit, I’m a piece of shit…” she mumbled to herself. How could I be so stupid?

Chapter End Notes:

The scene with Paul is nothing compared to the real guy this is based off of, it was almost too painful to write, but it needed to happen.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story