Deana’s day at work was busy.  It was cold, so a lot of people were wanting drinks to warm up.  She knew the next day would be even busier, they were looking at single digit temps all day.  She was on bar, as usual, making drinks and small talk with the customers.  She was in the middle of a drink order when she saw Justin walk in.  


“Your boyfriend’s here…” her coworker teased.  Deana blushed.  


“Shut up, he’ll hear you.  Bruce works with him, so I actually get to go to his birthday party later this week.  I’m trying to stay calm at the thought of shaking his hand or even getting a hug.  He texted me a while back, said he wants me on his next album, whenever that is…”


“I still say he’s flirting with you.  Bruce just might have to go.”


Deana shrugged off the comment, things were going really well, not even Justin Timberlake could mess things up.  Well, maybe… she laughed to herself.  


She was surprised that he waited in line, not using the mobile app to order ahead.  He didn't appear in a rush.  He placed his order, still drinking the green tea with honey.  


“Your voice is back, why the tea still?” she asked.


“I don’t drink coffee on tour, it’s still the best thing for my voice.”


“Can’t wait for your birthday show tomorrow, I’m sure it’s gonna be great.”


“I’ll be looking for you in the crowd.  Bye Michele, It’s good to be home.”


She liked it that he was calling NYC home, maybe it meant she’d see him more often once the tour was over.  Since he and Bruce work together, at least for now, maybe I’ll be seeing even more of him.  Calm down, Deana, you’re not some 16 year old giggly fangirl anymore.  But God, just looking at him, thinking about him, takes me back there.  I CAN’T be like that at his party.  



Deana clocked out and headed home. On my way home, I’ll see you in a bit?


Yes. I’m grabbing food and I’ll be over. 


It’ll be an early night, I open tomorrow, but I think we can find time for my apology tonight…


After last night, I think we’re even. Unless you’re up for it. 


We’ll see when I get home and we finish dinner. I’m up for it. 


I don’t want you to be tired at work. 


Always looking out for me. I can take a nap or something between work and the show tomorrow. 


I’ll text you tomorrow with where to go to get in, what time, all of that. 


Enough about that, I can’t wait to see you tonight. I’m almost home. 


She got up to her apartment, literally letting her hair down before getting changed.  He buzzed, and she buzzed him in before walking to her bedroom. She threw on a pair of jeans and a soft black t-shirt.  She had forgotten all about her glasses when he opened the door. 


“Those are new, how long have you had glasses?”


“Only since the first grade, astigmatism. I hate wearing them though, I only wear them at work.”


“Wear them more often, they make you look sexy, getting a real ‘hot for teacher’ vibe going…”


“I guess I will.”


She sat down at the kitchen table. He pulled boxes out of the bag. 


“I got you the walnut pesto pasta, and pad thai for me.  You’re welcome to some of mine if you want, but I like mine on the spicy side.”


“I’ll pass, but thank you. This looks amazing.”


“I tried to find something that’s healthy and will taste good.”


She took a bite. “Where is this from? It’s really good…”


“The Butcher’s Daughter, they’re here and in LA.”


“You want a bite?” she offered. He took a small forkful, nodding and raising his eyebrows in enjoyment. 


“You’re right, pretty good. Next time you should try their t-bone cauliflower. They cook it like a steak, it’s good if you’re not doing meat.”


“I’m more doing low fat, low calorie, and trying to not eat so much when I’m bored.  Trying to be more active. Knitting kinda counts as burning calories, but it’s not a workout. Last night was a great workout, I’ll tell you that.”


“No arguments here. I’m still not sure anything is a good idea tonight. I’ve got plans for after the show, I’d rather put the time in then.”


“You let me worry about that.  This is my apology, and with everything with Paul, I feel it’s necessary.”


“You came back to me, you’re going on tour with me, moving in together, I feel that’s plenty to make up for it.”


“If you really want to wait, I am ok with that. As long as you get to hold me and I wake up in your arms.”


“I can definitely do that.  For now, let’s just enjoy our food and not rush anything.  Are you excited for tomorrow?”


“Yeah, we had a great time at the last show, I’m excited to go again, and on his birthday to boot.  He was so great interacting with the crowd, I bet tomorrow will be the same.”


“He’s excited to be back here, it’s become his second home.”


“I still say you didn’t need to ask him for any favors, I’m surprised I’m able to go on tour with you.”


“He’s full of surprises. We go way back, so when he found out about you he was definitely willing to, knowing how much you mean to me.”


“I just hope it isn’t any trouble, that I won’t be in the way…”


“A bunch of the girls are excited to meet you, I think you’ll be ok.  After watching the karaoke feeds, and how I talk about you, you’ll fit in just fine.”


“You think so?”


“I think we could do our own karaoke nights so you feel more at home. We’re a family, you’ll get to know everyone really well.”



“That makes me feel better. I’m afraid I’m gonna miss Danielle and everyone here, but to spend more time with you and your friends will bring us closer.”


They finished their food, Justin helping clean up. 


“So, we just going to bed?” she asked one last time. 


“It’s probably best, yeah. Tomorrow will be the cherry on top of what all I have planned.”


“I’m just glad I get to see you.”


“Me too. But it’s been a while since I really spoiled you, so the next few days will be kinda over the top before going on the road.”


“Let me get into my PJs and we can go to bed,” she said, giving him a kiss.

 

After the show, he thought, you’ll finally know who I really am. I just hope it doesn’t change anything…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story