Her alarm went off early Tuesday morning. A mix of relief and dread filled her. She showered, letting the water cascade over her to hopefully wash away any anxiety.


She tried to have breakfast, but had no appetite. There was a knock at her door. 


It has to be someone I know, but I’m also not expecting anyone.  I’m meeting the lawyer at the courthouse.


She opened the door to her brother on the other side, a cup of tea in hand. “Justin told me to bring you this, and to make you eat a little something. I got you a vanilla scone, small but one of your favorites.”


“He’s too sweet, thank you J.”


“You ready for today?”


“Ready as ever. I just want it over and behind us.”


They got headed to the courthouse and got through security.  She felt that same sense of uneasiness that she did the day she filed the paperwork. She walked up to her lawyer and walked into the courtroom. 


Her phone buzzed. You got this babe. Love you and I’m here if you need anything.  


Thanks, just got into the courtroom. I’m super nervous but I’m glad this is almost over and behind us. Thanks for the tea earlier.  Gotta turn my phone off but I’ll talk to you later. Love you too. 


She put her phone in her purse. She heard the door open behind her, afraid to look behind her. She kept her eyes straight ahead of her, seeing Paul out of the corner of her eye. 


The judge entered the courtroom, they stood. They sat back down, the judge reviewing the paperwork. 


“Miss, you’re still wanting to seek this restraining order?”


“Yes, your honor.”


“You still feel there is a threat to your safety, miss?”


“Yes, your honor.”  She just sat, eyes straight ahead, her face emotionless, a bundle of nerves. 


“I see you’re also seeking protection for an additional person. What is your relationship to this person?”  The judge was careful not to use Justin’s name upon seeing it in the paperwork. 


“He’s my boyfriend, your honor.”


Paul huffed in derision.  The judge shot him a look. 


“Was there ever a threat against this person?”


“Yes, there was a verbal exchange.”


The judge sat for a bit, reviewing the paperwork again. He cleared his throat. 


“Given the information, I will grant the order. Mr. Valenzuela, you will have to stay 100 yards away from the pursuant and her boyfriend, and not allowed to contact her via phone calls, or text. You may not frequent her place of work. This will be valid for a period of 5 years, given your previous history, Mr. Valenzuela. Breaking this order will result in a fine or jail time, or both depending on the severity of the breach. Do you understand?”


“Yes, your honor,” Paul said meekly. 


“Should this need to be continued beyond 5 years, you will need to re-file paperwork and we will visit this again then.”


They were dismissed. Deana hung back until after Paul left the courtroom. She felt a wave of relief wash over her. 


“That’s the best this could have gone. If he follows this, you’ll be safe for quite a long time, Deana.”


She stepped out into the hall, her brother waiting for her. She hugged him tight, crying tears of relief and release. He wrapped his arms around her. “It’s over, Deana. He’ll never hurt you again. Justin and I will make sure of that.”


She pulled out her phone. Can I call or should I text?


Her phone rang as they left the courthouse. 


“Hi babe.”


“How did things go? Are you ok?”


“It went the best it could.  Five years Paul free.  No contact in person, over phone, can’t come by my work, and they included you because there had been a verbal exchange.  He didn’t say your name, but Paul huffed when I mentioned that I was seeking protection for you because you were my boyfriend.”


“That’s great, baby.  Now this will all be behind us.  Any idea what you’re gonna do with the rest of your day?  Did you wanna take my offer of a spa day or something to help you relax a little more?”


“You’re sure it’s not too much?” she asked.


He laughed.  “You get used to money not being a problem.  For you, with all you’ve been through, you deserve a little pampering.  You will ALWAYS be worth it, so you know.”


“I’m still getting used to things.  I’m sure the tour will be another eye opener.”


“Any idea of where you want to go?”


“The Bliss spa was really nice, then I’ll head to your place and soak in that giant tub..”


“I’ll call ahead and get things squared away.  Enjoy yourself babe, the worst is over.”


“Thank you, for everything.  It easily could have gone the other way, thank you for not giving up on me, on US.”


“Besides music, you are my everything.  I love you, Deana.”


“I love you too, Justin.”


“I’ll talk to you later.  Enjoy the rest of your day.”


She hugged her brother goodbye, heading towards the spa.  She remembered how crazy she thought it all was, being treated to a full day of things with Danielle.  She didn’t want to get TOO used to this, but was thankful for the much needed relaxation time.


She walked into the spa, giving them her name.


“Yes, we just got a call from Mr. Timberlake.  Welcome back.  What can we help you with today?”


“I’ll do the Scrub and Rub and the Oxygen Facial.”


“Very well, we’ll call you when we’re ready for you.”


She sat in the lobby, flipping through a magazine.  She picked up another, the front page jumping out at her.  


“Justin Timberlake’s new mystery woman!”  They used a picture of them walking out of the restaurant the night of his birthday party, giving a fairly clear shot of her face.  She looked around the room, and when she saw no one was looking, stuffed it in her purse.  


At least now there’s one less place that will be spreading this around… she thought.  


“Deana,” they called.  She stood, and was walked into a room.  The next 2 hours were pure relaxation; she almost didn’t need the bath at Justin’s.  She’d later be glad she decided to continue with her plan for the day.  


She walked back out to the lobby, stopping to talk to the receptionist.  “I’d like to come back on Thursday afternoon for another few services.  I’ll cover those ones.”


“What will you be needing?”


“A pedicure, and a wax…”



She opened the door of Justin’s suite, still getting used to having access.  She noticed something on the table just inside the door.  A bouquet of calla lilies was in a vase, with a card.


Flowers for my flower.  Hope you had a relaxing time at the spa.  I can’t wait to see you on Friday.  Love you, Justin


She went into the master bath, started running the hot water.  She’d already moved her fancier bath stuff over, knowing she wouldn’t get to use most of it in her tiny bathroom.  She put in bath salts and a bubble bath, the room filling with the smell of lavender.  


She grabbed her phone as the tub filled. Thanks for the flowers, the spa day, it’s been so good I almost forgot about this morning. A few more days and I’ll see you. I love you. 


Her phone soon buzzed in response. Glad you saw the flowers, I miss you. Friday can’t come soon enough. It’s super fucking cold here, so be sure to plan your clothing appropriately. Some polar vortex thing is going on, Vancouver is down to single digits or below freezing for the next week. I had some stuff packed, but definitely not enough. Thank you Amazon next day shipping ???? I had your hat and scarf to help and keep you close to me until you’re in my arms. 


Thanks for the weather tip, I’ll pack plenty of cold weather clothes, and a couple warmer weather things, buying things along the way if needed. I’m starting to pack my stuff for the tour, I’ve been focusing on packing stuff I DON’T need, now I’m working on the stuff I actually DO need.  Any suggestions, Mr. World Traveler Extraordinaire?


Chargers, for whatever you use regularly. He laughed as he typed it.  I kicked myself for a bit when I first left, my phone died, and I felt like I lost you for a bit.  I know you’ll wanna be in easy contact with Dani, your other friends, family, so make sure you have your charger.  I know you can always buy another, but with how busy I was, even once I had one I didn’t have time.  I mean, I really don’t know what you need that can’t be bought if you forget it.  I already have the picture frame, so you won’t need yours, that can stay in our place.  Other than that, I don’t know.  I feel terribly unhelpful right now.  I’m just used to it that I grab what I know I need without even thinking about it.  


I’ll figure things out. I’m just so excited for Friday. 


Shit, my management just called. Don’t go looking online. Don’t post anything on social media. See if Dani can help make sure all your accounts are locked down and private. 


What happened?


They have pictures of you from yesterday, going to the spa. 


I’d rather those than from the courthouse…

 

Not exactly painting us in the best light, babe. I’m sorry, you don’t deserve this. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story