Deana’s alarm went off at 3:30am. She groaned, starting to regret her choice of shifts. She dressed for work, pulled her hair into a high ponytail as usual, adjusting her glasses on her face. She sighed, ready to head to work. 


Almost halfway through her shift, she saw a mobile order come in. Grande ginger tea with honey for Justin. Butterflies started turning inside her. I guess he’s staying in NYC while on vocal rest, she thought to herself.  Sure enough, he walked in shortly thereafter. He came just as Deana was finishing it, putting it up to the bar. 


His hand brushed her fingers as she let go of the cup and he reached to pick it up. She tried to hide any excitement, but her cheeks betrayed her as they reddened. Justin smiled, raising the cup in thanks. 


He reached into his pocket, pulled out a small slip of paper, and laid it down where the cup had been. He nodded at her before turning and heading towards the door. 


Deana took the paper in her hand. Michele, thanks for the pickle juice tip. Not sure if it’s helping yet, but fingers crossed. Justin. 


The short wait for her lunch break seemed to last forever. Once off the clock, she texted a picture of the note to Danielle, along with a text that read: he brushed against my hand as he got his drink!!  She thought about texting Bruce, but she figured if he knew Justin, he wouldn’t want to hear her talk nonstop about another guy. 


I will keep this forever, she thought, tucking it into her purse for safe keeping. Until I get my selfie or hand grab, today is the closest contact I’ll have ever had to him. She felt this euphoric feeling, excitement and complete happiness. She fought back the urge to just squeal and scream, reminding herself she wasn’t 16 anymore. The feeling continued the rest of her shift, carrying on into the afternoon and evening. 


She sat down with some take out she’d picked up on her way home from work. She hadn’t heard from Bruce all day. She picked up her phone. She knew she couldn’t call, but debated what to text without sounding clingy. 


Had a good day today, hope you did too. It was short, and not dropping with any super emotional attachment. 


My day just got better after seeing your text :)


She wasn’t sure what to make of his text. Was he waiting around for her to text? 


Yeah? she asked. 


Yeah. I mean, it was good I guess. Nothing particularly bad happened, but nothing super great either. Getting your text is the highlight of my day. 


That boring, huh? ????


Hey now…. So how was work?


It was really good. Got to see one of my favorites today, it made me happy. 


Justin got nervous, his mind starting to race. Is there a guy? What if she likes HIM and not ME?  I mean, I guess these things happen…  His heart sank at the thought of them getting so close, and it not leading anywhere. I could be fine being friends, I’d be a dick to just stop talking to her because she’s not interested. Should I tell her now, who I really am? It might scare her, but it might work in my favor, too…


His phone buzzed. You ok? He snapped out of his train of thought, trying to figure out what to say next. 


If this a bad time I can let you go… she said. 


No, it’s fine. I can talk for a while if you want. 


Ok. Yeah, work was good. I’m still stuck on my paper. I haven’t made any progress since we talked yesterday to give me a break. 


What’s your paper on?


Well, since it’s undergrad, it’s more researching other studies than actually conducting my own research. I’m writing about vaccinations, particularly to debunk the myth that they certain issues. There’s one study people use over and over to show a link, but there are hundreds of others that found it doesn’t. There are environmental and genetic factors that are much more closely tied to causation. 


Wow, look at you and your big, fancy words. What made you choose the topic?


A friend of mine decided not to vaccinate her kids because of the one study, holding hard and fast to its “findings”.  Both of her kids have been diagnosed as having it, even without having been vaccinated. She and her husband also have it, and they admit their “may” be a genetic component to it as well.  I’m looking to see if there’s any research on the genetic side. A friend of mine has 5 kids with two different dads. So far, of the oldest 4, only one isn’t on the spectrum. The youngest is still too young to diagnose officially. It damn near broke my heart realizing her second has a severe speech delay, having to find a way to tell her out of love that this wasn’t normal development. As a future teacher, I need to be just as careful approaching this subject with the families I work with. 


So you picked something very close to home and personal to you. 


Isn’t that what most research is? Finding answers and things to something you care about?


I suppose. Are you hitting a dead end on the genetic research piece?


On all of it.  I feel like I’m just talking in circles on how there is no link between vaccines and these issues.  How am I supposed to write a 10 page paper on this without sounding redundant the whole way through?


There I can’t really help, it’s been years since I’ve had to write a report for school.  Try and use as much of the research as you can to say it for you.  


I have chunks highlighted I plan to use, I’ll put it all in and see where to go from there I guess.  


Sounds like a plan.  When is it due?


December.  So I still have a couple months.  I just prefer to be stuck NOW instead of 2 days before it’s due…


Very responsible.  


Probably a little TOO responsible.  Dani always helped me cut loose when I needed it.


Text or call her then.


She’s busy with her own stuff, my brother…


I’m sure she can find time for her best friend.  


I have Sundays off, and starting next week I’ll have my weekends completely free to do stuff.


There you go.  In fact, tell her you have plans for the two of you on Sunday.  She can’t say no.


She’d actually like that, she does it to me all the time.  But what would we do?


Don’t worry about it.  I’ll set everything up, you two just go with the plan.


OK…


You deserve a break.  I’m guessing it’s been a while since just the two of you have really hung out.


The concert was recent, and then karaoke…


Concerts are fine, but it’s not you two just being friends, being together.  You could go to a concert by yourself and have just as much fun.


I guess.


I WANT to do this for you.  Please?


OK.  Anything else I need to know about this? 


Nope, leave everything else to me.  Well, I guess both of you be ready at your place by 10AM.  But that’s all you get.  What should we wear?


Whatever feels comfortable.  Knowing what little I do about Dani, I’d say dress up a little, not that you need it.  


Thank you in advance, for all of this.  You really don’t have to...


Don’t even worry about it.  Hoping this helps you girls reconnect a bit, help you relax and refocus on things.


I should probably go, it was nice to talk.


It’s the highlight of my day, he sent with a smile.  He meant it.


I doubt that, but thank you.  Have a good night.


You too, Deana.  


Justin quickly went to work on his laptop looking up different places, making reservations.  Sunday is going to be a day she won’t soon forget, and I’m glad I can give her that.  At least, until my birthday.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story