The rest of the week in LA flew by, and soon they were on a plane heading to Phoenix.  Deana pulled out her phone as they landed.  “We have nothing until the show tomorrow, right?” she asked.


“Yeah, why?”


“I wanna check something.”


She looked at her phone, tapping the screen.  


“HI, Aunt Cathy, it’s Deana.  Hey, I’m in Phoenix today and tomorrow, I was curious if you and Uncle Mike were home.”  


“Hi, Sweetheart.  We can come up to see you in Phoenix. Tonight actually works out really well for us, if that works for you.”


Deana looked at Justin, having the call on speaker.  He nodded.  “Sure. We’ll work out the details and let you know where to meet us.  I’ll text you soon.  I can’t wait to see you, all my love.”


“Talk to you soon, dear.  Bye.”


“Your aunt, huh?”


“Dad’s sister.  I haven’t been here in YEARS.  They live about an hour outside of town.  Gammy and Poppy would stay with them in January, do the snowbird thing, and avoid the cold weather.”


“We have the Presidential Suite at the Hyatt Regency, we can do dinner in the restaurant there.  I was planning on taking you there tonight anyway.”


“I’ll let them know.”


They met with their driver, and headed to the hotel.  Deana took one look and smiled.  “No way…”


“Now you know why I chose this hotel.”


“3 different cities with rotating restaurants.  This is going to be our ‘thing’, isn’t it?  Find all the rotating restaurants in the world…”


“I’m already looking overseas for a vacation…” he chuckled.


“You really do get an idea and just run with it, don’t you?”


“You don’t want to know what else I’m already planning in my head…” he laughed. 


“I think I do, but I won’t spoil the surprise…”


She sent her aunt a text to meet them at the hotel at 7. They checked in, getting up to their suite. It was like an entire apartment, a dining area, living area, the bedroom separate, and a spacious bathroom. 


“Black dress tonight?” she asked. 


“Since it’s family, yes. Otherwise I’d say it’s up to you.”


“Speaking of which. Once we’re back home, I wanna have lunch with my sister, get her blessing.”


“On what?”


“Maybe blessing isn’t the right word. I want to know she’ll be ok, we’ll be ok if we end up pregnant before getting married. I don’t know how timing is going to work with anything, but to at least prepare her for that possibility so it’s not out of left field.”


“I see where you’re coming from, but we shouldn’t need anyone’s approval. We’ll do what’s right for us, when it’s right.”


“I know, I just don’t want to have family think less of me. I could care less what strangers and the media think, but FAMILY, that’s everything.”


“I don’t need to be there, do I?”


“No. I do want that movie night you promised with the boys, though.”


“THAT, I will gladly help with. Maybe we do it that day, since she’ll be here?  I take the boys and you girls have lunch?”


“I can hear my sister already saying thank you.”


“They can stay the night, crash out on the couch, it’ll be fun.”


“You know we’ll have to crash out there too, otherwise they’ll want a guest room or in bed with me.”


“What if we tell them our room is for emergencies?”


“They’re 9 and 6, odds are they’ll create any number of emergencies…” she laughed


“Well, this is prep for parenthood I guess.”


“Eventually.”



They dressed for dinner, Deana meeting her aunt and uncle in the hotel lobby. They greeted each other with hugs, getting in the elevator.  “The restaurant is upstairs.”


“So what brings you out to Phoenix, Deana? Far from New York…” her uncle asked. 


“We’ll discuss that once we get to our table.”


Justin was waiting by the elevator, smiling as the doors opened and he saw Deana.


“Aunt Cathy, Uncle Mike, this is my boyfriend Justin.”


“Nice to meet you,” they said, shaking his hand. 


They were seated by the window, looking over the menu. 


“So, what brings you to Phoenix, Deana?” Uncle Mike asked again. 


“She’s traveling with me for work. We’re here through tomorrow before going on to Vegas.”


“What do you do that you travel? We travel a lot for our business, so just curious.”


“I do concerts,” he said modestly. 


“He’s a singer. Remember the halftime show last year?” Deana added. 


Aunt Cathy gasped. “I thought you looked familiar.  Mike, he’s the voice from the movie Chesney likes!”


“Well, I guess I should have known that… We just got back from seeing the grandkids.”


“Did you see Tim and them, too?”


“Yeah, they are LOVING it out in Tennessee…”


“No kidding? That’s where I’m from. What part?”


“Nashville area.”


“Memphis.”  Justin smiled. 


“What do you guys do that you travel a lot?”


“We have our own company. We do trade shows and festivals.”


“They make flavored nuts. It started with almonds, now they also do cashews and pecans,” Deana said. 


“What flavors?”


“Vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, jalapeño, and garlic,” Cathy said. 


“That sounds great,” Justin said. 


“I tell you what.  We can bring some by for you for on the road,” Aunt Cathy offered. 


“I don’t want to impose,” Justin said. 


“Not at all. I insist.”


“Thank you,” Deana said softly. 


They talked about Tennessee, shared stories from traveling, feeling like Justin was part of the family. 


It was time for them to leave, hugging goodbye as her aunt and uncle took the elevator to the lobby. 


“I like meeting your family, they make me feel right at home,” Justin said. 


“I definitely think it’s a learned behavior. My dad’s family was an Army family. Gammy was an officer’s wife, so they hosted and went to parties, so I’m sure they picked things up over the years.”


“Well, they passed it on to you, that’s for sure.”


“No, I just talk way too much in hopes that something I say connects with someone to make a friend…”


“Well, you got more than that with me,” Justin smiled. 


They got back to their suite, Deana getting ready for bed. 


“Why the lingerie?” he asked. 


“Wow, are you THAT dense? Are you really gonna complain that I’m wearing this and not that shirt I love?”


“Absolutely not complaining.”


“If you’re lucky, we can finish against the bathroom counter…”


“Nope, definitely not complaining…”



They left the hotel for the arena. It was right next to the arena, where they could have walked, but his security team refused that possibility. Their driver picked them up at the hotel, dropping them off at the arena. 


As they were settling in for the day, there was a knock at the door.  One of Justin’s security entered through the door.  “This was dropped off for you, Justin.  They said they’re Deana’s family…”


“Yeah, my aunt and uncle said they would bring something by.”


It was a large basket with 5 bags of each type of flavor and nut.  “I think we have our snacks set for a while…” Justin said.  “This is too much, it’s a family run business, I need to give them something…”


“Now you know how I felt when you’d do things for me.  They gave what they felt comfortable with.  Odds are, this is probably all to share, not just the two of us.”


Justin opened a package of the jalapeno almonds.  “Fuck that, this is all ours… this stuff is amazing.”



Deana sat at a table in the dressing room, working on her school work. Her phone buzzed. 


“Hey Dani, how are you?”


“I’m good, I hadn’t heard from you in a couple days so I wanted to check in.”


“Sorry, things have been hectic lately…”


“How is that Target bag doing? Still full or nearly empty?”


“I’m not going to dignify that with a response…” Justin’s face scrunched up in confusion, raising one eyebrow. Deana waved it off. 


“Nearly empty it is…” Danielle laughed. Deana sighed. 


“I’m starting to not feel bad about forgetting to check in, and you’d be a great match with Joey…”


“Isn’t he married?”


“It’s… complicated. He has a girlfriend though, so meh.”


Now Justin was really confused. 


“I’m glad things are going well that you don’t miss me. That’s actually a good thing. Have you made new friends?”


“Technically… No one from the tour though.”


“Then who…? No…”


“What?” she asked, teasing Danielle. 


“You’re really gonna make me say it, aren’t you?”


“Yup…”


“Have you lived out our teenage fantasy?”


“I’m living out MY teenage fantasy…”


Justin smiled at her last comment. “Speaker…” he whispered. She nodded. 


“You’ve met all of *NSYNC…”


“On FaceTime. I’ve physically met Lance and JC.”


“You’ve met my Joshua?!” Danielle blurted. 


“I think your Jonathan would be offended…”


“You know he’s my celebrity hall pass…”


“Yeah, well, I’m sleeping with mine,” Deana teased. 


“Yeah, Yeah, lucky girl living the dream…”


“Thank you. Besides, his girlfriend would be upset. She’s really sweet.”


“Shit. I might stand a chance if she’s an asshole, but if she’s actually nice…”


“She just might be my west coast bestie.”


“I’m hurt, Deana. That one actually hurt…”


“You know you’ll always be number one.”


“Say it,” Danielle said firmly. 


“You’ll be my matron of honor…”


“Matron?”


“You’ll be married, so yes, MATRON…”


“It just sounds so… OLD.”


“If JC’s suddenly single at the wedding, I can put in a good word for you if he’s looking for a bridesmaid to hook up with…” Justin laughed. 


“Oh shit, hi Justin. How long have I been on speaker?”


“Since ‘my Joshua’,” Justin teased. 


“You better not be kidding me, Timberlake…”


“Not sure how that would work, Dani. Even if you hooked up at the wedding, my brother, your HUSBAND would be there…”


“As long as he’s not at MY wedding, the hall pass is in play… You guys better get married soon..,” Danielle said.


“So I guess I need to change my gift then?” Justin laughed. 


“I mean, if we’ve had enough to drink, I think it could still be an option…” Danielle joked. 


“Should this bother me? Trying to help my best friend hook up with a celebrity and cheat on my brother?” Deana asked. 


“With a hall pass, it’s not cheating… We both have our lists…”


“What do you think I was getting HIM?” Justin laughed. 


“Well, THAT’S the way to start off a marriage, celebrity hookups at the reception…” Deana said,


“Or a great gift for the night before, one last fling before the ring,” he said. 


“And that’s enough of that please,” Deana said. 


“Justin, do celebs have lists like this?” Danielle asked.


“They don’t NEED lists, they just sleep with whoever they want.”


“And yet out of all of them, you want ME.  Un-be-lievable…” Deana sighed. 


“You better believe it. Last night wasn’t proof enough?”


“I still maintain my question on the status of how full or empty that Target bag is…” 


“We’ve refilled it, twice,” Justin joked. “She’s stuck on my bus for the tour cuz she can’t walk right now…”


“Hey, I’d have no complaints…” Deana laughed. “That night with the leather outfit, brings back memories…”


“Wow, that’s a mental picture I don’t know what to do with…”


“I left my vibrator at home, you’re welcome to it if you need it…” Deana teased. 


“Please, the one I bought you is for beginners…”


“Ok, I think we really need to stop now,” Deana insisted. 


“I’m just glad you’ve loosened up a lot,” Danielle said. “A couple years ago and you’d have changed the subject 3 times already…”


“Technically, I tried twice.  And as far as being a ‘beginner’, I haven’t needed it since…”


“Hey, how are wedding plans going?” Justin interrupted, firmly changing the subject. 


“D, you’ve been seeing my updates to my Pinterest board?”


“Yes, I love all the lace dresses you posted.”


“We’re kinda going with the Valentine’s Day theme and running with it.  Reds, soft pinks, white.  Roses everywhere, except your bouquet, of course.”


“As a part of the wedding party, it’s fine.  I’m not marrying YOU, we’re good.  This guy, on the other hand…”


“This guy knows better.  You said something before I could give you flowers, so now I have it locked in my head.”


“Good man you got there, D…”


“Not good, GREAT, AMAZING…” Deana smiled.


“Do you guys have a location picked out?”


“We have a couple in mind.  It’s hard to not go overboard with all of it, all of my stuff I want is way over budget.”


“I can…” Justin started.


“Thanks, Justin, but it’s OUR day.  I know you want to help, how close we are to Deana.  Though the idea of JC being our wedding singer is definitely appealing…”


“I think that was a one time thing for Lance and Michael, don’t count on it,” Deana replied.


“As a favor for his best friend’s girlfriend, you never know,” Danielle said optimistically.  “No, we’ll figure everything out.  There’s a great spot in Brooklyn we’re looking at.  All inclusive, separate spaces for everything.  J wants to do a church wedding, but I think he’s coming around to the idea of not splitting ourselves all over the place.  I want a place where we can just be there the whole day.  That and I feel wrong playing certain songs in a church hall, we wouldn’t be able to drink…”


“I thought you girls had these kinds of things all planned out since you were like 6 years old…” Justin said.


“If that were true, I’d be marrying Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Deana would be marrying a ninja turtle…”


Justin looked at Deana.  “Really?” he cocked one eyebrow up.


“He was the leader; I like that in a man, apparently…” she laughed.


“We’d also have bubbles everywhere and my veil would be a pillowcase over the back of my head.”


“I mean, if you get drunk enough that pillowcase part could still happen, though the bubbles would make the floor slippery…” Deana said.


“Anyways, I just wanted to check in, I’ll talk to you later, D.  Love you.”


“Love you, Dani.”


“My girlfriend’s first crush was an animated turtle.  Who knew…” Justin laughed.


“Well, my first REAL crush was a boy in my class.  All the way from 1st grade up through 5th grade.  Now, she’s transitioned, so it wasn’t meant to be.  You were my first big celebrity crush.  I thought over celebrities were cute when I was younger, but once I saw you on that Disney special, no one else came close.”


“I thought you liked me from my MMC days?”


“I was like 9 years old.  You were cute, sure, but 15 year old me seeing 17 year old you, hot damn…”


“It makes you wonder if things would’ve worked out earlier sometimes…”


“Like if we’d met before *NSYNC?  Hell no, it wouldn’t have lasted.  You were going overseas, even with your mom, I’m sure she didn’t have her eyes on you all the time…  Then once you guys really got big, no way.  How would we have even met?  Nope, it happened this way for a reason,” Deana smiled.

 

“I’m sure glad it did…” Justin sighed, holding her close.  He kissed the hollow of her neck, she was still sitting in the chair at the table.  A low hum escaped her lips in agreement.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story