It was Sunday morning, Deana’s alarm went off at 8:30.  Dani had stayed the night so they could be ready in time.  Deana showered, then checked the weather forecast to help pick her outfit.  It had been warm a few days ago, but now had dipped below 60.  She had no clue what they were doing, so tried to dress for almost anything.  


She decided on her favorite black dress pants, they had a flare cut that she LOVED.  She couldn’t stand the skinny jean trend, it made her feel so exposed and almost claustrophobic, like everything was too tight.  These pants made her look and feel great.  She paired it with a maroon top.  A simple scoop neckline, with a long hoop chain necklace that stopped right at her breasts.  She’d worn it on dates trying to accentuate her curves, it certainly got guys attention, at least for a second.  She did a simple natural eye, using a nude palette and a soft brown eyeliner.  She did her hair next, blow drying it before straightening it and then scrunching it with some mousse.  Straightening helped the waves be more uniform and controlled, and she found it helped it be less frizzy, her main hair problem.  


She finished her look with a cream colored long waisted coat and black ankle boots.  She still felt ugly next to Danielle.  Danielle had jeans that hugged her body, a black slinky top that hung in the right spots, perfect hair and makeup, and she hadn’t set her alarm for nearly as early.


“You look great, D,” Dani said.


“Still nothing compared to you…” she sighed.


“Ugh, will you stop that?  Today is supposed to be relaxing.  Any word on what we’re doing, or even how we’re getting there?”


Deana’s phone buzzed no sooner than when Danielle asked her question.  Good morning.  When you hear the buzzer, come on downstairs.  After that, enjoy the day.


At exactly 10:00, the buzzer buzzed three times.  They looked at each other, nervous for what was planned, but excited to spend a day together.  They came down, almost expecting Bruce to be at the door.  Instead, an older gentleman in all black smiled as they walked out of the building.  “Deana and Danielle, I presume?”  The girls nodded, and they got into a small black sedan with tinted back windows.  


“I’m not sure whether to be impressed and excited, or scared that we’re off to our doom…” Danielle said.  


“I’d go with the first, miss,” the driver said.  “I’ll be with you the rest of the day.”


They were in the car at least 20 minutes before reaching their first destination.  He pulled up in front of a restaurant, The Smith.  “Brunch awaits, ladies.”  The girls got out of the car and walked into the restaurant.  


Deana walked up to the hostess.  “Um, I think we have a reservation, under Deana?”  She wasn’t sure what name he had put anything under.  His name, hers?  The hostess checked the list and nodded.


“Yes, right this way.”  They were taken to a table, given water and mimosas to start things off.  They perused the brunch menu before deciding and ordering.  Deana had the Smith Eggs Benedict, and Danielle got the vanilla french toast.  When the food arrived, they split each plate to share. 


“Oh my god, this is AMAZING!” Deana said as she tried the french toast. Danielle nodded in agreement. 


“You know what’s amazing? That Mr. Bruce man is treating us to all of this. I’m guessing. I think he likes you, D. All this effort just for a friend, especially one he’s just met. He either likes you or he’s crazy.”


“I’d hope so, but I’ve been wrong before…”


“No guy has EVER done anything like this for you. Name ONE time you misread a sign like that.”


“Snuggled up spooned against a guy, on his bed, his arm around me as we watched a movie. Star Wars Episode 1, but still. I thought he liked me, he just thought I was nice to snuggle with. Had NO romantic interest, just friendship and snuggling.”


“Really? I didn’t know that.”


“I don’t go around blabbing moments THAT embarrassing. Then all those years of liking one guy, and getting turned down over and over.  Liking most of my guy friends and either doing nothing about it even when I knew they liked me, or thinking that any slight gesture meant something more. Need I continue?” Her voice has gotten a little louder than it should have, she quickly quieted and sat with her mouth closed. 


“You don’t think this time is different? That this could be a HUGE gesture?” Danielle asked. 


“I don’t know. Do I want it to be? Yes. Am I afraid to ask him about it? I’m terrified.”


“It’s like Pretty Woman and you’re Julia Roberts, minus the whole hooker thing.  He likes you…”


“You think so?” Deana asked, her voice hopeful. 


“I do.  That’s just me, going off of him getting a private car to bring us to brunch, and apparently we have stuff all day… Oh! You should send him pictures of us at each thing we do. Let’s take a shot sipping our mimosas.”  Dani took Deana’s phone and got the perfect shot. “Send it, tell him brunch is delicious, then send me the pic, it’s perfect for the Gram.”


She sent him the picture and text, then sent the picture to Dani. 


“Hashtag mimosas, hashtag besties, hashtag brunch, hashtag no filter. Perfect,” said Dani, putting away her phone. 


Deana’s phone buzzed. Glad you’re enjoying yourself. Have a great time. 


They finished their food and were told the bill was taken care of. They walked out front, and their driver was waiting for them. The girls got in and they were off to their next stop. 


The driver stopped, letting them out in front of Bliss Spa. “I LOVE their stuff at Bath and Body Works!  Why didn’t I know they had a real spa, too?” Deana said. 


Deana walked up to the front counter, giving her name. “Welcome Deana, you and your guest are welcome to whatever service you want today.”


“ANY package?” Dani asked, her mouth gaping. The woman nodded. Dani turned to Deana. “Oh, he is SO into you…” she giggled.


Deana blushed a little as they looked at the various services. “Nothing with the face, I didn’t bring my makeup,” Dani said. “If I’d known I’d have brought everything.”


“We’ll go with the Scrub and Rub,” Deana told the receptionist.


“Someone will be with you both soon.”


Two women came out, taking Deana and Danielle into separate rooms.  Their treatment included a scrub all over the body to exfoliate and nourish the skin, then a massage using a hydrating body butter to soften the skin.  The aromatherapy and light music in the room helped Deana feel so relaxed as she received her treatment.  She struggled to keep her eyes open, so relaxed she wanted to sleep.  She’d never been to a spa before, just to salons to get hair or nails done, and even then it had been a while.  The massage was basically to rub in the body butter, there was very little pressure being applied where it would hurt.  She knew she needed a massage, but maybe another day.


She dressed, and went back to the lobby to wait for Danielle.  The receptionist called to Deana.  

“These are for you, courtesy of you know who.”  Two small gift baskets of Bliss merchandise were placed on the counter.  


“Let me take a picture to show him we got them, this is all too much,” Deana muttered as she took a picture of the gift baskets. 


Danielle came out soon after, looking at the baskets.  “Um, these are for us?”  Deana nodded.  “No, D, he doesn’t like you at ALL…”  They took their gift baskets and headed towards the car. 


“Have you really been waiting right here this whole time?” Deana asked.


“I’ll never tell,” he laughed in reply, opening the door for them to get into the car.


Deana sent him the picture of the baskets, with a text that read: I’ve never felt so relaxed in my life.  I’m feeling like this is starting to be overwhelming, you didn’t have to do all this just for me.


Yes, I did.  You’re worth it, everyone needs some relaxation every once in a while.  Enjoy it, please.


They weren’t in the car very long before they stopped again.  Deana looked up through the window. “No way…” she breathed.


“He got us tickets to a Broadway show?!” Danielle screamed. “Mean Girls?  D, he is SO FREAKING INTO YOU!!!!” she squealed, hitting Deana in excitement.


They got out of the car, got their tickets, and went into the theater.  They had great seats, and waited for the show to start.


“You really think he’s into me?” Deana asked.


Danielle turned to a few girls in the row behind them.  “Excuse me ladies, but if a man set up a day of brunch, massages, and a Broadway show for you and your best friend, would you say he’s romantically interested?”


“If you aren’t already together?  OH YEAH,” the girls agreed.  “HUGE romantic gesture.”


“THANK YOU!” Danielle shouted.  “I’ve been telling her that all day, and she doesn’t believe me…”


“Wait, this is real?  I thought you were asking a hypothetical.  Girl, he is SO making the big gesture.”


Deana’s face turned what felt like a thousand shades of red.  “Fine, Dani, I believe you.  He likes me, he really, truly, likes me…” she sighed.


The show started and the girls were blown away.  During intermission, Deana snapped a picture of them with their playbills to send to Bruce.  Thanks for the great seats, the show is AMAZING!


Glad you’re having fun, the day’s almost over as far as what I planned.  


Deana showed Dani his last text.  “Looks like our Pretty Woman day is almost over…”


“Hey, but what a day it’s been.  Delicious brunch, amazing massage, great Broadway show, all for FREE?  Girl, you better show your appreciation the next time you see him…” Danielle said, raising her eyebrows.


“Oh God.  What if that’s what he wants.  He’s doing all this so I’ll sleep with him…” Deana suddenly panicked.


“I mean, why not, but I was kidding…” Danielle backpedaled.  “I meant kiss him, see where things go.  If he likes you, you like him, you owe it to yourself to see what happens.  I’ve slept with men for MUCH less…”


“Yeah, but I’m not you, I can’t just pick up any guy off the street and take them to bed.”


“Now you’re making me sound easy…  I may have more experience, but I’m a responsible woman, and most of those were full on relationships…”


“I know, sorry.  But look at you.  You could totally get away with having your way with every man you wanted.”


“Can we just enjoy the show and not make this about either of us right now?  He wanted you to relax, have some girl time, not a pity party.  Enjoy this, it’s been a great day, let’s keep it that way.”


Deana knew Dani was right, this was a day to relax and enjoy time with her best friend.  They settled back into their seats to enjoy the second half.


After the show, they headed back outside and there, waiting outside, was the car and their driver.  


“Seriously, I hope you’re able to do things while you waited for us today.  It’s starting to get dark, that’s a long day of just sitting waiting for two women.”


“I’m married, I’m used to waiting for a woman, and it’s always worth it to see the smile on her face.  Just like you two ladies,” the driver said with a gentle smile.


She recognized where they were going, back to her apartment.  “End of my day, ladies, it’s been a pleasure,” he said, opening his door to let them out.  The girls carried their baskets upstairs to the apartment.  


Deana flopped down onto her couch, taking out her phone.  Thanks again, we had a great day.  I’m still in shock of everything,


You deserve it, never forget that.  


Deana took her gift basket and put it in the bathroom, sorting out where to put things.


“D, come here!” she heard Danielle call from the living room.


Deana walked back out.  “What?  Why do you sound excited?” 


“Someone just buzzed with a delivery for you.  Oh my god, what if it’s flowers, or chocolates?  What if it’s HIM bringing it to you??”


There was a knock at the door.  The girls looked at each other in excitement, curious at what was on the other side of the door.  Deana walked over, opened the door, and found a young man holding a couple bags in his hands.  Deana took the bags, a little disappointed it wasn’t Bruce, or flowers.  She set the bags down on the coffee table.


There was a small card sitting on top.  Deana picked it up, opened it, and read the note.  One last surprise.  Dinner, snacks, and movies.  Have a great rest of your night.  “He got us Chinese food, a ton of junk food, and some movies.  Why am I suddenly feeling emotional with THIS part of the day compared to the others?”


“I don’t know, but I say we dig in before that food gets cold.”


They opened up the takeout boxes and put Pitch Perfect 3 in the DVD player.  They had fun watching the movie together, talking, laughing, having a great time.  It felt like they were teenagers again, having a sleepover.


“I’m glad he did this, I feel like I got my best friend back,” Danielle said.  


“Me too.  We haven’t really spent much time together, not like we used to.  Life is getting in the way, it was like we were drifting apart.”


“I’m dating your brother, I can’t drift TOO far.  You know no matter who I marry, you’ll be my maid of honor.  With any luck, you’ll be my sister in law, too…” Dani said, hugging her on the couch.  “I love you, best friends forever, no matter what.”


The movie finished, and they looked at the other movie in the bag.  Table 19.  “Hmm, I wonder why he picked two Anna Kendrick movies…” Deana said.


“I dunno, but I’m beat.  I’m gonna go to bed.”


“Yeah, I should too. I have work early in the morning.”


“You ALWAYS have work early in the morning…”


They headed off to their bedrooms. Deana found she had never slept as soundly as she did that night, a smile on her face as she dreamed. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story