He didn’t even have to look up to confirm the voice belonged to Mama Lynn.  He’d know her voice anywhere.  The group got very quiet, Trace straightening up a bit in his seat.


“No, y’all keep on having a good time…”


“Sorry, we had today already planned out…” Justin tried to make excuses.


“You told me you two were coming in tomorrow…” she was laying on the mom guilt pretty thick.


“I’m sorry.”


“It’s fine, I was just surprised when I got a call saying you were here.  I guess I should have known you’d come here before seeing your Mama.”


“I’m sorry.”  He hung his head like he was a teenager again, in big trouble and trying to not get grounded.


“You’re a grown man, Justin, you can do what you want.  We’re still on for dinner tomorrow?” she asked.


“Yes, Mama.”


“Nice to see you again Deana, I do love that poncho on you…” her voice turned sweeter. “Trace, Samantha, hi girls.”  They all waved as they were acknowledged.


“If you have time tomorrow, is there a yarn store around where you can pick your color and fiber so I can make you one of these?” Deana asked, referring to her poncho.


“That would be lovely, darlin,” she answered.  “Do you like tea? I know a great place that has a great tea party.  I wish there was a better name, it sounds like we’re playing make believe with the girls…”


“That would be lovely,” Deana replied.


“I’ll see you tomorrow then.  I can pick you up at your place, unless you suddenly moved…” she looked at Justin.


“No, same place, Mama.”


“See you tomorrow, darlin.  Love you, son.”  Lynn kissed the top of his head and walked away.  


“Well, that was… terrible.”  Justin tried to go back to normal, but couldn’t shake the feeling of disappointing and lying to his mom.


“I’m not sure whether to say it’s cute, or suggest therapy,” Deana said.  “On the one hand, you’re such a mama’s boy at almost 38 years old, but on the other hand, there’s a lot of guilt and shame like you’re back to being a teen.  You’re a grown man, if you wanted a couple days here to yourself, you’re more than entitled to that…”


“I normally at least call or text her that I’m here.  I didn't even do THAT this time around…”


“I was worried she wouldn’t like me, I didn't even think about her being upset with YOU…”


“Not really helping, babe.  I know we’re incredibly close, Mom and me, but I feel this weight…”


“You wanted time in your happy place with your best friend and your girlfriend.  It’s called growing up, Justin.  Most people in this kind of situation would be staying at their mom’s house, so we are definitely in a unique situation.  I feel like I should be blaming myself for all of this, you wanting time with me over your mom, but it’s also a natural progression.  When we get back home, I’ll probably let my mom know we’re home, but it won’t mean she wants to see us that day.  Maybe that’s what you were worried about, her wanting to take up all our time here.  She’s your mom, you know she loves you no matter what.”


“You're right.  Old habits die hard, I guess.  Let’s enjoy the rest of our evening.”


They got their food, and Deana was pleased with her choices.  Justin had her try a bite of his cheeseburger and a chicken popper.  The mood slowly went back to what it had been, Justin feeling glad to be home.


It was nearing 7:30, and the girls got in the car to go home and to bed.  “Hopefully see you around, J,” Trace said before getting into the car, giving him a hug.  “Good to see you again, Deana.”


They headed home in relative silence, Justin sighing as he drove.  “It’s fine, Justin.  You can’t undo it, and you shouldn’t feel bad.  I’m glad you are so close to your mom, but you’re allowed to have some distance.”


“I really don’t wanna talk about it…”


“What do you wanna do once we get to the house?”


“I’m not in the mood, if that’s what you mean.  I just wanna grab a beer and sit, maybe go into the studio and work on some stuff.  Sorry.”


“It’s ok.  Do what you need to do.  I wasn’t…” he voice trailed off as they parked.


“This doesn’t change anything, does it?” he looked at her.


“No.  I still love you, I know you still love me.  Don’t you?”


“I do.  It’s just, I’ve had relationships fail because of my mom, what she thought.”


“Yet you said I had nothing to worry about…”


“I was trying to worry FOR you.  That’s why I didn’t let her know we were here.  I wanted some time with you where you could just relax.  I know my mom can be a lot sometimes, and I didn’t want to have you stressing out the whole time.”


“So tell her that.  I’ll gladly take one for the team here, babe.  It’s the truth.  I was worried about being in your home town, making a good impression, and you wanted to protect me for a little while.  I’m sure she’ll understand eventually.  Let’s get inside, and I’ll get you a beer, or something stronger.”


He nodded, unbuckling his seat belt.  They walked in, Deana heading towards the kitchen.  “What am I grabbing for you?”


“Just a beer from the fridge…” he said plainly as he plopped on the couch.


She opened the beer and handed it to him, before sitting down next to him.  “Let’s just sit for a while,” she said, giving him some space.


He pulled her closer to him, her body melting into his.  They just sat in silence, Justin running his fingers along her arm, kissing her cheek or the top of her head from time to time.  He finished his beer, resting it on the coffee table.  He gently turned Deana so he could kiss her.  Hesitant at first, slowly deepening each kiss, moving his fingers to her hair.


“Shall we?” he asked lightly.


“I thought you said…”


“I know, and I changed my mind.  I’m here, with you, and it shouldn’t take away from that.  I need to feel something good right now, and I’ve been missing the way you sound when we’re together…”


“I’m glad there’s distance between us and the next houses, I think it’s about to get LOUD…” she purred.



Deana woke up the next morning, Justin asleep next to her.  She lay on her back, Justin on his side with an arm around her.  She looked at him, so peaceful, handsome as hell, hearing the sounds of the birds outside.  She slowly moved his arm so she could get up, gently kissing his cheek.  She put on a robe and padded quietly into the kitchen.  


She made some tea for herself, sitting looking out into the spacious backyard.  She looked at all the trees, surrounded by nature.  This must be why he loves Montana so much, it reminds him a bit of being here, she thought.


She finished her tea, put the cup in the sink, and walked back to the bedroom.  She checked on Justin, still asleep, and opened the ensuite bathroom door, starting the shower.  She took her time washing her hair, shaving her legs, using her sugar scrub and moisturizing body wash.  She knew Lynn likely wouldn’t be around this early, wanting to fully immerse herself in small town living, no rush or agenda.  


Her eyes were closed as she rinsed her hair, suddenly hearing a voice.


“Is there room for me to join you?” he asked.


“I’m just finishing up, but sure,” she said.  


“Baby, we’re just getting started…” he said with a grin.



“You are incredible,” she sighed, putting her hair up in a towel as she started her skincare routine.


“You’re lucky we just finished, seeing you bent over the counter a bit is giving me ideas…” he growled.


“Down, boy…” she laughed.


“There’s a reason I wrote the lyric ‘we do it twice cuz we know we like it’...” he smiled.


“Yeah, well, I don’t want to take another shower so I don’t smell like sex when I’m out with your mother later…”


“Ok, NEVER mention her when I’m trying to set the mood…” he said abruptly.


“Seriously?  We literally just finished…”


“Just wait until we get to have that marathon day, see how many times we can in a day.”


“More like how many times YOU can.  I think it more so depends on the male participant than the female…”


“I get you ready so by the time I’m ready again, we just go…”


“How romantic…” she sighed.


“It’s not about romance, not at that point.  It’s taking ourselves to the limit, embracing the passion we feel for each other, how turned on we get by things…”


“And now I’m trying not to be turned on.  I really hate this power you have over me, sometimes…”


 “You have the same power over me ALL the time, baby.”  He kissed her shoulder as she continued with her skin care.  


She put on her robe again, not wanting to get dressed too early.  They had a simple breakfast of cereal and toast before sitting outside and enjoying the sounds of nature.


...


“What should I wear today? Deana asked.  “I’m used to the tea places in NYC, where you dress up all fancy.”


“Did you bring your lacy green dress?  That would be perfect I think.  The color brings out the green in your eyes, it’s very feminine and soft, and fancy without being an evening gown.  Odds are she’s taking you to the Peabody, so try and act surprised.”


‘I thought about doing that yesterday, but figured we weren’t dressed for it, so that will be nice to have that with your mom.”


She pulled the dress from the closet, putting it on before going back to the mirror for her hair and makeup.  She put her hair into a low side bun behind her ear, doing just mascara and eyeliner. 


“Beautiful, babe, truly,” he smiled as he saw her.  “I almost wish I was going with you, but I’m gonna use the time to start doing more music for the movie, finalize a couple things I’ve been working on for it.”


The doorbell rang. “That would be her,” Deana said. “I’ll see you later, have fun in the studio, hoping it all works out.”  She kissed him quickly before heading out the door. 


“Well don’t you look lovely?” Lynn said as Deana opened the front door. “I love that dress on you, the color, the fit, it’s wonderful.”


Deana blushed. “Thank you,” she said quietly. 


They got into her car, Lynn pulling out of the driveway. 


“No need to be afraid of me. Can I tell you a secret?”  Deana nodded. “I like you the best.  You’re really good for him. I know he’s all grown up, but he’ll always be my little boy.  You’re not trying to replace me. Some of his girls didn’t like how close we were, but I think you appreciate family more to let him have that.”


She tried not to make a face, remembering her comments to Justin about needing therapy to deal with his mom issues. 


“You’re bringing out a different side of Justin, I think it’s the most himself he’s been in a long time.”


“I know Jess broke his heart, we’ve had some similar heartbreaks, so I feel we understand each other on a deeper level,” Deana said. 


“He was showing me he was ready to settle down, but when things with Jess went south, he reverted back a bit to try and heal. Being around you, he’s opened back up to that possibility. All I want is for him to be happy, and he certainly seems happiest with you.”


Sure enough, they headed to the Peabody. It was still as awe inspiring as the day before, noticing things she hasn’t before.  The ducks were already out, but they were still cute swimming in the fountain. They walked to a special room with fancy china settings. 


They were seated at a table, ordered their choice of teas, and waited. 


“So what all have you done since you got in?” Lynn asked. 


“We went with Trace and the girls to the Arcade, I went shopping with Samantha while the boys played golf, then dinner last night. I played with Trace’s girls a bit, we had a Frozen sing and dance along.”


“Justin loves those girls like they were his own,” Lynn sighed. 


“He’ll make a great dad, someday,” Deana replied. 


“Hopefully sooner rather than later?”


“We’re still talking about it. I almost feel like he wishes I was already  pregnant, but we’re at least waiting for the tour to be done, let things slow down.”


“Honey, until he met you, ‘slow down’ was NOT in his vocabulary…” Lynn laughed. 


“Trust me, after Justin, parents will be the first ones to know.”


“It’s just something he’s wanted, even unconsciously, for a long time now.”


“If there’s one thing our relationship has taught both of us, is not to rush into things, to wait for the right person, the right timing.”


“I didn’t mean it like that, darlin’.  I never thought he’d find someone like you. All the girls he’s been with didn’t want kids, didn’t want to deal with putting off their careers, lots of different reasons. He meets you, and you both have so much to offer each other without competing with each other. You really do complete the other.”


Deana smiled. “My ex, his mom never talked to me like you just did. Not while we were dating, not in the year we were engaged.”


“You’ve been engaged before?” Lynn almost sounded surprised, it was hard for Deana not to get defensive or take it as a backhanded comment. 


“He was too young. He’s 4 years younger than me. I thought we wanted the same things, marriage and kids, but one day he calls it off. Says he doesn’t love me, wasn’t sure he ever really did.”


“Oh honey, I’m so sorry…” she put her hand on Deana’s in sympathy. “At least kids weren’t in the mix. I know Justin was just a little guy when things ended with his dad, but it was rough. There were times I wished he wasn’t born so he wouldn’t have had to deal with certain things, see me at certain points. But he brought me so much joy in the middle of it, like God knew what he was doing by giving me this little boy to love.”


“That’s just who he is, isn’t he? This godsend during a difficult time.” Deana and Lynn just smiled at each other. 


They continued to talk as they ate, and soon they were finished with their meal. The tea room was only open until 3:30, so they couldn’t stay much longer. 


They moved to a table in the lobby, watching the ducks swim as they talked. Deana felt like Lynn was her own mom, no worry left about fitting in.  Lynn told stories she hadn’t heard about Justin from when he was little, having a good laugh at times. 


“Well, let’s go get that yarn, then I’ll get you home so you can get ready for dinner. Pretty sure I know where he’s taking us. Dress casual, that’s for sure.”


They walked to the valet station, getting in the car before heading to the local Hobby Lobby. 


“This place is dangerous,” Lynn said. “Between some of the decor they have that’s ready to go, and stuff that gives me project ideas, it’s easy to get carried away…”


They headed towards the yarn section. “Find a yarn in the color and texture you want. With summer coming, you could pick out a lighter weight yarn, or something heavier for winter.”


Lynn took her time looking over the aisles, looking at the colors, feeling the yarn carefully. “I’ll pay you extra to make 2…” she says. 


“You don’t have to do that, you’re my boyfriend’s mom. I wouldn’t feel right…”


“I insist.”


Deana swallows hard, resigning herself to her offer. “Ok.”


“How much, for each one?”


“$35,” she says, giving Mama Lynn a discount. 


“Double it, each,” Lynn said. 


She knows Lynn won’t take no for an answer, nodding.  She grabs a soft, lightweight yarn in a light moss green. “This one for summer.”  She finds a heavier yarn, still soft, in a green matching Deana’s dress. “This one for winter.”  Deana nods. “Grab however many you need of both.”  Deana grabs 4 skeins of each color, hoping it’s enough, her face not really sure. “Grab one more of each, just in case.”  There are 5 of each color in the basket. 


“I told you, it’s easy to get carried away,” Lynn smiles. 


“I’m getting lots of ideas just looking at all the colors,” Deana admits.


“Grab what you want, my treat.”


“Ms. Lynn, I couldn’t…”


“Would you tell Justin no if he wanted to do this?”


“Maybe, a little…”


“If you do these two before any other projects, how long would it take you?” Lynn asked. 


“Well, I’d have a lot more time than I had before. Maybe a month, 6 weeks on the outside?”


“Well then, let’s revisit this then. Does that sound ok?”


Deana nods, blushing a little at her generosity. She knows where Justin gets it from. 


“You could easily sell your ponchos for that much to the celebrity set. Maybe more.”


“I’d told Justin I wanted to start my own company selling what I make…” Deana admits. 


“After the tour and everything, you and Justin need to come back here and we can all help you figure out a business plan. Show us samples of what you make, preferably actual pieces if you have them, otherwise at least sketches. We can figure out price points and such. You can totally run it as a one order at a time, especially for things like the poncho. We’ll talk it all out.”


“Thank you,” Deana says, words escaping her at the idea of another dream becoming a reality, thanks in part to Justin. 


“Let’s get these for now and head back before I offer to buy out their whole stock,” Lynn laughs, obviously joking. 


They go up to the register, knowing roughly how much it all costs, Deana’s face contorts a little at it all being paid for by Lynn. 


“Don’t you dare argue,” Lynn says. “That poncho is beautiful.”


“I have an idea for the darker one, I could show you a sample swatch before starting on it…”


“Great. I’m sure it’ll be wonderful.”


Deana takes the bags as they leave the store, walking across the parking lot, getting in the car and driving back to Justin’s.


Lynn pulled into the driveway and parked the car. “Thank you for coming today, I’m glad I got to know you better.”


“Thank you for inviting me. We’ll see you tonight for dinner.”


Lynn hugged Deana in the car, Deana then opening the car door and unlocking her seat belt. Deana waved with a smile, bags in hand, as Lynn pulled down the driveway. 


Deana walked inside the house, finding Justin’s studio through a process of elimination. There was a little light next to the door, but it was off. Deana lightly knocked on the door, almost inaudible to Justin. He was listening to something, headset on and bobbing his head to the beat.


He jumped out of his chair at the slightest touch of his shoulder. “Jesus, you scared me babe,” he laughed a little upon seeing her. “How’d it go?”


“She likes me best…” Deana whispered excitedly. 


“Well, she knows you want kids, no wonder she likes you…”


“I feel like she actually meant it though…”


“I told you.”


“I know. We talked about Morgan’s mom and my dear about her not killing me. Talked about you and those nieces of yours, what a great dad you’ll be…”


“Did she have the ‘sooner rather than later’ talk?”


“Yeah, but I was ready for it.  She seemed to be satisfied with my answer.”


“Which was…?”


“If you had it your way I’d already be pregnant…”


“I mean, how often we’re at it…” he laughed. 


“You’d tell me if something broke, right? You’re not trying to trap me?” she asked. 


“Honestly, they’d say it’s the other way around; but I already have you in my life, why would I NEED to do something like that?”


“I know, just realizing how often we are going at it…”


“Is that a complaint?”


“No, just wanting to make sure we’re being careful. I know you’d be involved if something did happen, but…”


“I know. At least until the tour is done, we can see a doctor, everything we’ve already talked about.”


“Maybe after Dani’s wedding? I don’t need to be the huge whale in the pictures…”


“Ok.  Not that you would look like that, but as far as a timeline. That gives us over a year of being together, they can’t say we rushed into things.”


“So I won’t go changing anything I’m doing just yet, so that nothing messes up the timeline.  I remember talking about this kinda stuff with Morgan, but not in such specifics.  It feels so real, and nothing has even happened yet.”


“I won’t say NOTHING,” he laughed.


“You know what I mean.  It’s just surreal, talking about all of this kinda stuff, with you.  I don’t know that I’ll fully ever NOT be in awe of being with you.  That you chose me, are choosing me now, plan to choose me forever.  It just sounds so... permanent.”


“That IS the general idea, yes.”


“You’re just awfully sure of yourself, what you want.”


“I am.  You are so different than anything I’ve ever known, and it’s in the best way possible.”  He took her hand and pulled her onto his lap in the chair.  He kissed her deeply, his hand cupping her face before running through her hair.  “I wouldn’t be talking with you about this if I wasn’t sure…”


“Have you had this conversation with other women?”


“Not exactly.  I mean, I know Britney and I were young and in love, but there was still so much ahead of both of us.  Was I ready to propose when I found out she’d been cheating?  Yeah.  But we never really talked about kids, we were too young for that with where we were in our careers.  With Cameron, we wanted different things, it wasn’t a discussion we had.  You know how things with Jess went.  So yes, I’ve had this conversation before, but not at the same level, the same intensity and intentionality.  I know what I want, and I work really hard to get it.  With you, it’s coming fairly easy somehow.  You want the same things, so we’re working together with things in mind.”


“I’m gonna go change, Lynn said to dress casual.  You gonna be in here a little longer?”


“Yeah, I’m ready to go whenever.”


“I’ll be back here in a bit, ok?”  She kissed him quickly before getting up and heading to the bedroom.


She looked through the closet, suddenly seeing something.  She smiled, grabbing a couple items and hoping it worked.  She took her hair down, putting it in a braid.  She looked at herself in the mirror, nodding in approval.  “I think this will work,” she smiled.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story