Two weeks later, Colleen found herself standing next to JC on the front steps of Lance Bass and Michael Turchin’s house. “This is fucking weird,” she said out loud.


“Why?” JC chuckled.


“Because I know what the inside looks like from various things Lance has filmed over the years. I told you I watched that cooking show he was on with his Mom.”


“Trust me, it’s not nearly that exciting,” JC said as the door opened and Lance invited them in, giving them both a hug. 


“I didn’t know what you guys drink so I went the safe route,” Colleen said as she handed Lance a bottle of craft vodka. “One of my clients is part owner in a small distillery.”


“Thanks Colleen, that was very thoughtful of you,” Lance said, admiring the bottle. “Michael! Colleen brought booze, I like her already.”


Michael entered from the back yard and introduced himself to Colleen and gave JC a hug. “Good to see you, it’s been too long,” Michael told him.


“Yeah, been a weird year but, uh, things are looking on the up and up.”


“What can we get you both to drink?”


“I don’t know about you but I’m cracking open this vodka,” Lance decided. 


“You still have to cook, you know,” Michael reminded him.


“I’m making a freaking cocktail, calm down. You’re one to talk about drinking too much.”


“I get drunk on cable tv ONE time and you feel the need to bring it up anytime there's alcohol around,” Michael yelled sarcastically. He turned to Colleen and grabbed her hand. “He’s so mean to me,” he cried, pretending to sniff away tears.


“Oh, shut up, ya cry baby,” Lance yelled with a laugh as he entered the kitchen and pulled down four glasses from the cabinet.


“See!” Michael exclaimed.


JC laughed at the couple’s antics, “I’ve missed you two.”


“Well stop being a fucking hermit and visit more,” Lance chastised him. “Colleen, how do you like your vodka?”


“Potent.”


Lance grinned at JC, “Ok, yes, I like her.” Lance grabbed a few mixers from the pantry and debated what to make everyone.


“She likes Riesling so something fruity but not too sweet would probably work,” JC advised. 


“Well then she definitely came to the right house,” Lance laughed at his own joke. He then got an idea as he went to the fridge and pulled out some lemonade and blueberries and started concocting. “Knowing the drink order...JC, impressive.


“It’s nothing more than being observant. You know what Michael likes.”


“I’ve been with Michael for like 10 years, you two have been together 10 weeks, big difference.”


“Exactly. I know stuff about her because she’s my girlfriend. It’s nothing more than that, ok?”


“I think they forgot we’re here,” Michael whispered loudly to Colleen. “Let’s sneak out back and be rude and talk about them.”


“Take your drinks with you,” Lance commanded as he set out the cocktails he had made. They both went over to the kitchen counter and grabbed a glass. Michael gave Lance a quick kiss as Colleen did the same with JC before they both headed outside.


“She seems nice,” Lance said, handing JC his drink.


“Yeah, she’s, uh, I don’t know, there’s something special about this one.”


“Oh?” Lance replied, trying hard not to roll his eyes. There was always something special about each girl to JC but Lance found them to be carbon copies of each other time and time again. “Do tell.”


“Well, to start, she’s a lawyer…”


“You’ve dated a lawyer,” Lance interjected.


“No I didn’t,” JC stated, “I dated a law student.”


“Symantecs, but go on.” 


“As I was saying, she’s a lawyer so she’s really smart and witty. Plus, she’s established in her career so she knows how to prioritize herself and her work over me.”


Lance knew how much JC hated it when girlfriends came off as needy so that was a point in Colleen’s favor. However, Lance was well aware just because someone was independent now didn’t mean they couldn’t become clingy later.


“We like some of the same stuff but not too much so it’s nice to discover new things at my age.”


“You act like you’re some old man.”


“I am an old man,” JC argued.


“We are practically the same age and I’m not old so neither are you. What else you got?”


“She likes my cooking. She’s adventurous…”


“Shower sex isn’t that adventurous, JC,” Lance smiled.


“You know, if all you’re gonna do is shit on me about it, I’m really not sure why you invited me over,” JC glared.


“Ok, Ok, I’m sorry. I just haven’t been able to give you a good ribbing in person in a while. I never even met the chick before...what was her name?”


“Does it matter? She’s gone,” JC stated, trying not to think more about the baggage he still carried from his ex.


Lance stared at JC a long moment. He knew JC was pretty private with his personal life but to actively avoid the topic was out of character. He was going to have to text the other guys and see what they knew because pressuring him to talk more about it would just do the opposite. “So you called Colleen your girlfriend, you’ve met her friends; this is kind of serious for you.”


“I told you, she’s different,” JC tried to hide his smile. “I mean, just look at her with Michael out there. They’re already acting like friends just catching up. She can hold her own in conversation and doesn’t need me around as some crutch. I like it.”


“Well, I’m really happy for you, man. Any woman that can make you smile like that and can get you out of the house is good in my book. I must admit, for a while there I was getting worried you had gotten caught up with that Raina chick again.”


“I still see Raina,” JC said casually, taking another sip of his drink.


“Well, not now obviously.”


“Yes now, I saw her last week and before you get all judgy on me, Colleen does know and is fine with it.”


Lance stared in bewilderment. “Wow, I guess there really is something special about her cuz I wouldn’t be ok with my new boyfriend sleeping with someone else.”


“We don’t have sex, Lance.”


“She gets you off, JC. Just cuz you don’t put your dick in her doesn’t mean it’s not cheating.”


“Lance, with all due respect, I don’t have to explain my relationship to you. Why are there always ten thousand questions when I get a new girlfriend? It’s like you’re intentionally poking holes yet will still blame me when the boat sinks.”


“Good line, write that one down,” Lance prompted JC before proceeding. “I’m not trying to rain on your parade I just...I truly want you to be happy and I don’t...I hate watching you think you found the one only to have it not work out. You take it harder each time. I just want you to take your time before jumping in and, for you, this feels fast.”


“I honestly didn’t want to date her at first. We got set up and I just wanted someone to talk to about some stuff. She’s been completely supportive and non-judgemental and it won me over. I’m not shopping for a ring next week or anytime soon but I feel like she’s who I need in my life right now so can you please just accept that as reason enough?”


Lance could hear the pleading in JC’s voice and decided to relent. “Ok, reason enough...for now. But what do you mean you got set up? I thought you met her cuz you needed some contacts for your musical or something?”


“Yeah, I did,” JC confirmed, trying to cover his slip up. “I meant that the appointment was set up by a friend.”


Lance eyeballed JC over the rim of his glass, already suspecting the lie when his phone lit up with a FaceTime request. “Bad timing, Fatone,” he answered.


“Perfect timing,” Joey countered. “Isn’t it double date night? I wanna meet the new girlfriend.”


“No, Joey,” JC yelled.


“Here, you handle this,” Lance said, giving JC his phone. “I need to finish dinner.”


“Thanks,” JC stated to Lance sarcastically as he turned to Joey on the phone. “No, Joey.”


“Why not?” Joey whined.


“Because I don’t trust you.”


“Moí!” Joey pretended to be shocked. “When have I ever been anything short of a perfect gentleman?”


“Can I do just a top five cuz if I have to go chronologically, I’ll fall over from exhaustion before I even get out of the high school stories.”


“You’re a fuck,” Joey laughed. “I’ll be good, put her on.”


“She’s out talking to Michael.”


“Did Lance get a new wall mounted smart phone? Walk out there, lazy!”


“Maybe later, Joey. I’m trying to slowly integrate her into this group of crazy friends.”


Joey huffed and rolled his eyes, “I have to do everything by myself around here.” Joey smiled, gave JC the middle finger and disconnected the call.


“Did I miss the message where you told all the guys about tonight?” JC questioned Lance as he handed him back his phone.


“Of course. You know they’re gonna want to know anyway so I just gave them the heads up. No surprise Joey was the impatient one,” Lance joked, putting his phone in his back pocket. “So what friend was it that set you two up, your meeting, I mean.”


JC tried to play it cool, hoping Lance would have dropped the inquisition. “Uh, Jimmy had some connection with her from a previous venture he had worked on.”


“Why didn’t you just use the same lawyer from the Girl Radical contracts?”


“Cuz I just didn’t, ok?” JC said angrily, turning to view out the window to the back yard. He could see Colleen holding up a phone talking to someone and laughing. “Stop hitting on my girlfriend, Joey!” he shouted.


Lance turned to look out into the yard to see Colleen and Michael laughing hysterically. “He’s not one to give up,” Lance chuckled.


“Reminds me of someone else I know, JC said flippantly, going to pour himself another drink.


“Har, har, har,” Lance responded. “Sorry, I know I’m digging I just...when you said you just wanted someone to talk to about stuff, you know I’m glad you found that and all but, I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little offended. You know you can always call me to talk over anything you need, anytime.”


“Yeah, I know Lance, and thank you but as I said, she has my back and doesn’t judge me. I love you but I’ve been here like half an hour and I’ve gotten neither of those things from you.”


Lance turned to JC, genuinely hurt. “JC, I’m sorry if I made you feel that way. You’re my brother and I love you too. I hate that you feel you can’t talk to me about some of the stuff going on in your life.”


“How am I supposed to do that when you already showed your disdain for a part of my life that you dismiss because you don’t understand it?”


Lance mentally replayed their conversation in his head. “What? You mean about Raina? Look, JC, you’re right, I don’t understand it and perhaps I should try to a bit more.” Lance paused, putting the puzzle pieces together. “You said she knows about Raina so she understands it?”


“Yes, she does and that’s...I can’t even describe how amazing that feels.”


“JC, are you dating a dominatrix?” Lance questioned intently.


“No, I’m not dating a dominatrix,” JC laughed. “Quite the opposite actually.” Lance’s eyes widened and JC instantly knew he’d said too much.


“You met her at the club!” Lance said excitedly, trying with all his might not to attract the attention of the couple outside. “Holy shit! She’s into kink like you! This makes so much sense now!”


“Lance, I swear to God, you tell any of the other guys, I will castrate you myself and ensure you can only bottom for the rest of your life.”


“Jesus, ok, I won’t tell. You don’t have to be so harsh,” Lance quickly agreed, covering his crotch with his hand. “You know what? Honestly, I kind of love this. Whatever it is you do is important to you so I think it’s great you have someone to share that with,” Lance smiled. “Wait, how exactly does the sex work then?”


“Well, I still put my penis in her vagina so it doesn’t change much.”


“You know what I mean,” Lance laughed.


“Right now, I like discovering what she likes and giving that to her and I would hope she’d say the same. Other girlfriends have always tried too hard, Colleen doesn’t have to, she just gets it. She’s not trying to be a replacement for Raina.”


“You think that mentality will last?”


“I don’t know but for now I’m willing to trust it. She said she’s not looking to change me and doesn’t want me trying to change her. We respect each other’s situation and right now are working on further exploring them to ensure we’re both cool with what the other is doing.”


“You are way more progressive than I am,” Lance chuckled. “I really hope the best for the both of you. It’s unique, to say the least, but you never do anything in a traditional manner so this really does sound like a great way to approach it.”


“Thanks,” JC smiled. “Now can we finally get some food started. I’m about to gnaw at a limb.” Lance laughed and went back to prepping dinner.


Outside meanwhile, Michael and Colleen had settled into a pair of lounge chairs under a large umbrella as they sipped their drinks. “Now which one do I have?” Colleen asked as one of Lance and Michael’s puppies curled up in her lap. 


“That’s Dale,” Michael informed her. “I can move him if you want.”


“No, he’s fine,” Colleen confirmed, giving Dale some pets.


“So, how’d you two meet?”


“At work, oddly enough. His friend and I have worked together so recommended me to him.”


“You’re a lawyer, right?”


“Yeah, entertainment law. He just needed some basic stuff for his musical so I got him what he needed and then he asked me out to dinner,” Colleen laughed.


“Presumptuous of him to assume you were single,” Michael smirked.


“JC seems pretty confident in his abilities, well, with women at least. I’m sure if I had told him I was dating someone, he would have taken it in stride.”


“Were you like “Ok, cool” or like “Oh My God, it’s JC Chasez!”?” Michael asked, fanning his face for extra emphasis.


Colleen laughed. “Somewhere in between,” she lied. “I mean, I’m not dumb, I knew who he was so, yeah, a celebrity asks you out, it’s flattering for sure. I’m sure you had the same thing with Lance when you first started dating.”


“I tried hard not to think about it but, yeah, there was definitely a point where I was like “Holy shit, what is life?”.” Michael confessed. “You get over it. I’m guessing it’s different with JC though. Lance is still really active in the entertainment industry whereas JC wants to hide under a rock most of the time. You know, he doesn’t want to sing and...well I was going to say I get it but I completely don’t but whatever...at least get out and see your friends, you know?”


“I knew JC kept to himself but I didn’t realize he was quite so anti-social.”


“He wasn’t always. Even after he stepped back from the limelight a few years ago, he at least came around and would hang out. Then, like a year or so ago, he started dating someone and just disappeared. Then he pops back up with you and, hey look, I’m not trying to find out what happened, I just wanna say it makes me happy to actually see my friend again and see him so happy.”


Colleen blushed. “Well, he makes me pretty happy too. The ex seems like a touchy subject so I don’t really know what happened there nor have I ventured to ask. JC seems like a guy who will talk about it when he’s ready.”


“Fair,” Michael acquessed before switching the topic. “So I heard he met some of your friends. How did that go?”


“Ugh, horrible,” Colleen said, throwing her head back in exasperation. “My initial plan was just to tell them but they absolutely didn’t believe me so I had to text JC for back up. He showed up and they completely lost their minds.”


“My sister did the same thing when I started dating Lance. She knew I knew him but called me a liar when we started dating. I finally sent her a picture of us kissing and she called me and screamed for 20 minutes.”


“God, imagine if it would have been a Backstreet Boy, she probably would have fought you for him.”


Michael eyed Colleen. “How did you know my sister was a Backstreet Boys fan?”


“I’m pretty sure I heard you say that at some point,” Colleen brushed off.


“Oh? And where exactly was that?” Michael asked, his interest piqued.


“Oh gosh, I don’t know. Maybe on Lisa Vanderpump’s podcast? I’m a Housewife’s fan so I’ve listened to your Reality Roundup episodes on Lance’s old podcast so maybe there?” Colleen knew she couldn’t pretend she knew nothing about the guys but she was treading in dangerous water and felt the shark that was Michael circling her.


“Did you catch the *Nterviews?” Michael prodded.


“I heard the highlights. Justin’s, of course, was covered by a bunch of outlets.”


“Did you hear JC’s?”


“Not all of it. I’m glad Lance asked him about his solo career cuz I always wondered what happened with that but by no surprise, JC kept fairly tight lipped.”


“So you know his solo stuff?”


“Not much. I know Blowing Me Up and the song where he sings about sex the whole time…”


“That’s like every song of his,” Michael interjected.


“Yeah, well, not surprised but I know him mostly from *NSYNC.”


“So you were a fan?”


“I mean, I was a teenaged girl when they were huge. Of course I was a fan to some extent.”


“Who’s poster was on your wall?”


“Oh, I don’t know, it was so long ago.” Colleen was practically sweating. She didn’t want Michael or any of them to know how long she’d lusted after JC before meeting him. 


“Did you go to any of the concerts?”


“I did...is this some kind of test because I don’t know if I’m passing or failing?”


“Just trying to figure something out,” Michael asked demurely as he sipped his drink.


Colleen was growing frustrated with the cat and mouse game Michael was playing. “Would it really be that bad if I was a fan? You’d think having someone supportive of your career would be a good thing.”


“You’d think but not for JC. He’s very weird about the idea of dating a fan.”


“Oh come on, he’s dated literally dozens of women before me. You can’t tell me at least one of them wasn’t a fan.”


“I’m sure there were. JC’s just...he’s certainly not ashamed of his past by any means but he views it as exactly that, the past.”


“It’s the whole JC/Josh duality complex he has going on. He spent so many years as JC to the public that now he just wants to be Josh and put JC on the back burner. I respect that but also, they’re two sides of the same coin. You can’t have one without the other and I don’t think he knows how to reconcile the two.”


Michael took a long moment before responding. “You are SO a fan! No way you put that together after a couple weeks of dating.”


Colleen sat up and looked directly at Michael. “Don’t tell JC,” they both said simultaneously. Colleen stared back at Michael in mild horror. She was afraid of this, that the fact she wanted JC would be the reason he wouldn’t want her in return.


“I’m fucked, aren’t I?” Colleen groaned, finally admitting defeat.


“You aren’t fucked, you’re just...be prepared for him to be weirded out by it. It’s not you, it’s him. He doesn’t know how to take a compliment.”


“I never thought I’d be frustrated by hearing someone say “I’m humbled” as many times as he has,” Colleen laughed, shaking her head.


Just then, Michael’s phone rang. “Oh hey Joey!” he answered the FaceTime call.


“Michael, thanks for wearing a shirt this time,”

Joey answered. “I heard you were chatting with JC’s girlfriend and I wanted to meet her.”


“I thought you all had a meeting scheduled for later to discuss how the evening went,” Michael said, getting a kick out of watching Colleen try to hide her face in the cushion of the chair.


“We do but I don’t want Lance’s hearsay, I want to find out for myself.”


“You realize she’s right next to me and can hear everything you’re saying, right?”


“Then put her on, you bastard!” Joey demanded with a laugh.


Michael rolled his eyes and handed Colleen his phone. “Apparently it’s for you, good luck.”


Colleen took the phone to see Joey Fatone’s smiling face peering back at her. “Hi, I’m Joey. I’m assuming that makes you Colleen, correct?”


“Last I checked,” Colleen couldn’t help giggling.


“Well, let me get a good look at you.”


“What?” Colleen questioned.


“I’m in Florida and don’t know when I’ll be out to meet you in person so just wanted to get to know you a little better.”


“Translation: he wants to see how hot you are,” Michael added.


“Rude, Michael, simply rude,” Joey stated, shaking his head. “How do we learn about the whole of a person without seeing the whole person?”


“Joey Fatone: singer, actor, philosopher,” Michael sarcastically replied. 


“Ok ok, fine,” Colleen conceded through her laughter. She held the phone up and angled down at her body. “How’s that?”


“I’m beginning to get a clearer picture but how about you…”


“Stop hitting on my girlfriend, Joey!” JC shouted from inside the house, making both Michael and Colleen double over in laughter. Dale growled at his seat being moved as Colleen worked to get herself back into her previous position.


“He ruins all my fun,” Joey lamented. “Well, good luck with him, Colleen. Hope you enjoy sleeping with a wet blanket.”


“It’s not the blanket he gets wet, Joey,” Colleen countered with an exaggerated wink.


“Whoa hoa hoa!” Joey laughed in surprise then wagged his finger at the phone. “You, young lady...I like you. Ok, seriously, have fun tonight and just tune out if Lance starts talking about space or Mississippi. I’ll let JC know when I’m in L.A. next and we can do dinner.”


“Sounds great, Joey. I’d love to meet you,” Colleen smiled and waved goodbye as she handed the phone back to Michael.


“Are you done using me for the day?” Michael asked Joey with a smirk.


“For today. Appreciate the help,” Joey said as he kissed the lense of his phone so Michael got a screen full of Joey’s lips and ended the call.


“So how’s that for your fan girl heart?” Michael joked.


“I feel like I just went through some weird initiation,” Colleen laughed as she finished her drink.


“You did. Getting hit on by Joey is a right of passage. He still grabs my ass every time I see him.”


Colleen’s laughter died down and she grew serious. “Michael, I know we just met so you don’t owe me anything but please don’t tell JC I’m a fan. I’ve been trying to hint to him this whole time and he’s still not getting it.”


“I won’t, sweetie,” Michael promised. “Just how big a fan are we talking here?”


“I went to 17 tapings of America’s Best Dance Crew,” Colleen confessed, biting her lip.


“Ok, yeah, that’s….maybe leave that detail out. Like, is it just JC or all of the guys? Mostly I’m just trying to make sure you aren’t going to steal anything from my house.”


Colleen chuckled. “I’m a fan of all the guys, as a group and individually, but it’s always been JC for me.”


“And now your fucking him,” Michael said, raising his glass.


“And now I’m fucking him!” Colleen stated proudly, raising her empty glass to meet his.


“Honestly Colleen, you seem very nice and it’s obvious JC really likes you. Just tell him how you feel.”


“You said it’s gonna weird him out.”


“I did and...it will but it’ll be even worse the longer you wait. If this keeps going, he’s going to figure it out at some point.”


Colleen pouted, knowing Michael was right. “Why the hell is it so hard to tell the guy I’m dating I like him?”


“Cuz you aren’t telling your boyfriend, you’re telling the guy you’ve had a crush for God knows how long. They just happen to be the same person. You’re doing the same thing JC is doing by separating the two.”


“Damn you’re smart,” Colleen responded in awe at Michael’s spot on observation.


“I’m more than the Instagram himbo people make me out to be,” Michael winked as he now finished his drink.


Soon enough, Lance announced dinner was ready as the four came together at the table set up outside to enjoy the cool weather. Colleen loved watching JC and Lance reminisce about their touring days as they both would erupt into fits of laughter at the slightest mention of a name or an event. It was probably the most Colleen had seen JC laugh in one evening since she met him and she realized how bittersweet the moment was. It was obvious to everyone but himself  how much he missed his friends and his former life and while she knew there were probably a litany of reasons why a formal reunion wasn’t easy, she hoped one day he would get out of his own way.


Michael and Colleen had decided to turn Joey’s advice about Lance into a drinking game, sipping their cocktails discreetly every time Lance mentioned space or Mississippi. They reached drink number 4 by the end of dinner whereupon Michael decided to give Colleen a tour of the house, letting her scope out some of Lance’s memorabilia and freak out without arousing the suspicion of the other two.


Evening turned into night as JC and Colleen decided to head out around 11pm. “Thank you again for having us over,” Colleen said, giving both Lance and Michael a hug. “It was really great getting to know you both.”


“Anytime,” Lance said, “if you can get JC to come over more often, I’m all for it.”


“Fuck him,” Michael joked, “as long as you bring more of the vodka, I don’t care who you show up with.”


JC gave Michael a fake pout before laughing and giving both his friends a hug and saying goodbye. Lance and Michael watched the couple get in JC’s car and back out of the driveway before closing the front door.


“We need to talk,” they both said to the other the moment the lock clicked on the door. They studied each other a moment before simultaneously saying, “What do you know?”


Lance and Michael gasped and pointed at each other. Michael broke into a wide grin as he ran into the kitchen and yelled, “Oh God, please tell me there’s still more vodka!”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story