“Shit shit shit,” Colleen sped up to JC’s house. Today of all days she had to be late. Her morning had been completely thrown out of whack and she was almost thankful for the distraction of needing to get to JC as soon as possible. 


“I’m here, I’m here!” she came screaming into his house, throwing her purse on the couch and running to embrace him. “I’m so sorry, I just…I’ll explain later. What did I miss?”


“Nothing,” JC laughed nervously and kissed her forehead. “We’re going just after 10am, on Justin’s cue.”


“You ready for this?” she rubbed his hand.


“Doesn’t matter if I am or not at this point,” JC breathed. “It’s happening.”


“Josh, you all deserve one more go around.”


“I know, I just…twenty years later we’re really gonna do this all over again? I mean, I already feel so out of my depth with coordinated social media posts. I don’t know how bands do it nowadays.”


“I’m sure between Melinda and Kari, they’ll keep you boys on task with modern technology,” Colleen smiled.


JT: You guys all ready?


JC looked at his phone and swallowed. “Thank you,” he said softly to Colleen.


“For what?”


“For pushing me. For calling me out on my shit. For knowing this was something I still wanted to do.”


“Then why do you look like you’re going to pass out?”


“Because it’s still scary. Reporters, interviews, paparazzi, scrutiny, angry muscles, no sleep…I’m inviting it all back in.”


“You are also inviting back in supportive fans, passion, performing with your brothers, creating another set of unforgettable memories…”


“But I’ll be leaving you,” JC lamented.


“I’m a big girl, I’ll be ok. You guys are rehearsing in L.A. anyways so I’ll get you longer and I’ll figure out seeing you on the road.”


“I’ll be gone all summer.”


Colleen did some fast math in her head, it was going to be cutting it close. “I know, but it’s only February now, we got a few months before you head out,” she made herself say.


JC looked back at his phone.


L: I’ve been ready for the past 5 years.


C: Try 10.


J: Losers. I’ve been ready since we stepped off stage from the last tour.


JC: I feel like I’m gonna throw up.


L: Well, you did that before our first performance so maybe it’s good luck if you do.


JC: Are we doing the right thing?


JT: Yes JC, we are. Just breathe.


JC: Our lives are going to change.


C: Our lives changed over 25 years ago, think of it as going back to how they used to be.


Colleen’s phone pinged with her own text message.


JT: He ok?


C: He’ll be fine, last minute jitters. If he doesn’t hit the button, I will, don’t worry.


JT: Sure you can’t come along? It would be better for him if you were there.


C: I can’t take 3 months off of work. I’ll do my best to be there as much as possible. I expect to be constantly on FaceTime, no worries.


Colleen bit her lip and tried to keep her emotions in check, at least through these crucial last few moments. The album was mastered and a tour was booked. One more time, the guys all agreed. Colleen was both excited and nervous. They’d be amazing but she had to admit she wasn’t keen on JC being gone that long, especially now. Especially…


“It’s 10am, you ready?” JC broke her from her thoughts and reached out his hand.


“You act like you’re about to be executed,” Colleen laughed as she grabbed it. “This is a good thing, a great thing.”


“I know,” JC tried to convince himself.


JT: Ok, I’m doing it. I love you guys, here’s to our latest adventure.


J: But not our last!


C: Completely dependent on if my knees survive this one.


L: Those aren’t even your knees anymore! You’re making out better than the rest of us on that front.


JT: Done! Refresh your Instagram and get ready!


“Alright, it’s done,” JC breathed. 


Colleen went to her Instagram and clicked Justin’s post. JC had offered to show her once it was finalized but she wanted the visual just like every other fan. Her nerves quickly broke way to pure giddy as the video started running.


A white screen appeared as haunting stripped vocals of Justin singing a song Colleen had never heard before crept in. Slowly, a red hashtag appeared and then the phrase JT6 came into view. Just when it solidified, the video appeared to pause and the unmistakable sound of JC’s voice cut in with the classic line: “Hold on. Uh, you know what? Can we back it up just a little bit?” The first of many squeals left Colleen’s throat as JC turned and momentarily forgot his worry as he watched the growing smile on her face.


The video then began to reverse, the hashtag fading away, giving way to pictures of Justin in the studio, him holding Phin, golfing, playing with Silas, back to his honorary doctorate, to Man of the Woods…back the images ran over his various solo albums and movies, his wedding and pictures with Jess scattered throughout, back through his years with *NSYNC through to the Mickey Mouse Club where the retrospective finally stopped on a still of Justin and JC from a skit from the show. The video fast forwarded quickly, this time stopping at a silent video of Justin in the studio making Justified as Chris danced along to the song. Another rewind stopped on a picture of Justin and Lance pouting, which appeared to be from their Germany days. Another fast forward to Justin and Joey backstage at a show, goofing around and wrestling each other.


JT: Now! Now! Go!


JC tore his gaze away as he popped open Instagram to post a video of his own. They each had one, personalized to show their lives now and moving back and forth through time to show how they were still very much in each other’s lives. Justin’s was ironically longer despite being the youngest but that meant, if they timed it right, the news would drop from each of them at the exact same time.


Colleen continued watching as she started shaking with excitement. It didn’t matter that she already knew what was happening, the anticipation was electric as the video faded to white again. Justin’s voice filled the void as he simply stated, “We said when the time was right…well that time is now.” New black and white portraits of each member began to fill the screen, one after the other. After the last one faded, the screen this time turned to black as words in white slowly appeared on the screen:


Still…

*NSYNC


Album available at Midnight EST


Tour

May 27th - August 22nd

Tickets on sale next Friday


Finally, a group photo emerged, black and white like the portraits early at first then slowly turning to color. Chris stood in the middle as Justin and Joey flanked him on either side. Lance stood beside Justin and JC took the outside edge of Joey. Colleen gasped when she realized JC was wearing the multi patterned black and gray Dolce & Gabbana knee length coat she got him for Christmas in the shoot. “For your next D&G phase” she’d teased him and there he stood, strong, confident, eyes dark blue with intensity. JC Chasez was back.


“You ok, Babe?” JC placed a hand on her back. Colleen looked up at his kind, concerned eyes then back at the picture. She’d had such a tough time separating JC from Josh for much of the first half of their relationship but now the man looking back at her seemed in no way related to the man who appeared on her phone.


“Yeah,” she squeaked out. “You wore the coat.”


“We opted for a real muted shoot, let the picture do the talking. It worked perfect.” Colleen’s smile broke into tears as she covered her mouth. “Babe, what’s wrong?” JC asked.


“I’m just so…happy,” Colleen began to breakdown, leaning on the back of the couch for support.


“Come on, sit down,” JC guided her to the couch. As soon as Colleen sat, her body toppled over to lay down as she let her emotions pour out. So much was in her she hadn’t realized until that moment. It wasn’t just the band reuniting, it was this beautiful moment of recognizing the journey it took JC to get there. She was so proud and wanted him to have this moment for as long as possible.


JC: Well, I’d say the fan response is pretty positive so far.


He couldn’t help sending a picture of Colleen to his band mates. He never would have thought this strong a response he’d find adorable but so much about Colleen made him think about things in a different manner. Maybe it was time to play pop star again for her.


C: No way!


L: Poor Colleen. Michael is crying happy tears too. The twins are just crying.


J: So it’s a normal day. The only person crying over here is Mulvi at how much money he’s gonna make.


JT: If this is how Colleen is handling it, I think we may have accidentally killed some people. Does everyone have a good lawyer?


JC: This IS my lawyer.


L: I think she’s technically all of our lawyer since she helped with the contract.


J: Wait? Does that mean she gets a cut? 


C: Didn’t you read the fucking thing? Have you learned nothing? The only cut she gets is on you if you get out of line.


J: Then all I have to do is stay out of arm's reach.


JC sat down next to Colleen and rubbed her thigh, which actually made her cry harder. His phone buzzed in his hand as miscellaneous texts from friends started pouring in. He put the phone down and breathed, turning to face the window that overlooked the valley below. He could do this, he told himself. He could have a quiet life at home and still be famous to the outside world. He could have balance.


Colleen finally sounded like she was calming down so JC got up and grabbed the bottle of champagne out of the fridge he had bought for the occasion. The sound of the cork popping made Colleen scream and bolt upright. JC couldn’t help but give a small laugh at her disheveled state. “How you doing over there?”


“Sorry,” she said, embarrassed and trying to fix her hair. “A lot more emotions than I thought coming out.”


“It’s sweet that you care so much,” he said, walking over with two champagne flutes.


“Of course I care! Josh, I’m so proud of you. You deserve this, baby,” she beamed.


“You didn’t even see my video yet,” he smiled as he handed her a flute that she set down on the coffee table. She pulled up his profile on Instagram and hit play on the latest video. Suddenly, the selfie they took down the street from Rocco’s when JC came to save her from her friends appeared before proceeding in the same progression as Justin’s had done before.


“You included me in your video?” she asked in disbelief, on the verge of another round of tears.


“Of course I did,” JC brushed his fingers over her cheek. “You’re a part of my life, my history and my future. We got asked to include our achievements and being here with you, in this moment, is better than anything going on outside these four walls.”


Colleen didn’t know what to say to that so she simply curled into JC and wrapped her arms around him, wanting to hold onto him more than ever right now. He was right; these five men were currently turning the world into utter chaos and as much as she wanted to enjoy the insanity, she wanted more to breathe and take in the calm before the storm. A storm that was going to get bigger than either of them had anticipated. She gulped and tried not to think about it and focus on his body so she could memorize the feel before he was gone.


The couple sat silently for some time, the constant sound of buzzing and text chimes peppering the air. The only one JC moved to answer was the special text tone only for Mistress Raina.


R: Well, you’ve been telling me you were doing it but I didn’t believe it until now. Congratulations Joshua.


JC: Thank you, Mistress.


R: Would you like me to work something out for while you are gone or will you be taking a break?


JC: Whatever you prefer, Mistress. Rehearsals won’t kick into high gear until late April and will be here.


R: I’m sure that makes the Not Mrs. pretty happy.


JC: Yes Mistress.


R: I’ll cook up something before you go. I expect two front row seats for your L.A. date.


JC: Mistress?


R: My daughter is over here completely freaking out about your announcement. Apparently boy band fandom has no age limit. Plus, I’ve never seen you in action, I think it would be fun to see you in your element. 


JC: Of course, Mistress. We are kicking off the tour here and playing 3 nights. Let me know what date you prefer and I’ll take care of all the arrangements.


R: I’ve never had to behave in public with you, Joshua. This will be a first.


JC: I feel like I’m going through so many firsts at present, Mistress. I’m happy to know one of them will be with you.


The text thread ended there for the time being. Mistress Raina at one of his concerts…with her daughter. Every aspect of his life was crashing together after so many years of keeping everything in its own separate corners. It was unnerving to say the least but he found an odd comfort in feeling like he could finally just be himself fully.


“You ok?” JC asked again, rubbing Colleen’s shoulder.


“Yeah, I’m just…overwhelmed,” she admitted.


“Feels real now,” JC said bittersweetly, taking a swig of his champagne.


“Jesus, I’m sorry, Josh. I’m being weird. This is such a great day, I shouldn’t be moody,” Colleen sat up and squeezed his hand.


“I’m gonna miss you too, Babe,” JC reminded her with a kind smile. “Come on, let’s have a toast,” JC said, grabbing Colleen’s flute from the table and handing it to her. “To our newest adventure. We may not be physically together for all of it but you are still very much a part of it.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story