“I cannot wait to see what Matthew came up with,” Colleen eagerly paced in the hallway.


“I can’t believe he actually got the job,” Kyle joked.


“He’s been working on his design portfolio for this since he knew they started recording. Plus, having worked with JC and Joey previously gave him a bit of an edge,” Sara smiled.


“Why are you so nervous?” Kyle asked Colleen. “You’ve got to have an idea what is going to happen.”


“I purposely asked JC to tell me as little as possible. I know a few songs that are going to be done and there was some sort of catwalk issue he mentioned so I’m assuming that’s in there but otherwise, I wanted to be completely surprised.”


“Well, all your incessant drabble about *NSYNC over the years finally paid off,” Matthew finally emerged as the friends enveloped him in a hug. “Fans are going to want nostalgia in a new form and I think we accomplished that.”


“And how many times did you have to measure their inseams before you got it just right?” Kyle teased.


“I am a professional and as such, only was in close contact when absolutely necessary and gave proper warning,” he stated haughtily then quickly lowered his tone for only his friends to hear. “But Jesus Christ, I would probably choke on Justin’s dick if I had that thing in my mouth. Trousersnake…more like Trouserpython.”


“His mother is right there,” Colleen giggled, checking to make sure Lynn wasn’t paying attention.


“Well, I don’t know who’s genetics contributed to that but they deserve some kind of medal,” Matthew offered.


“And here we always thought it was JC,” Kyle surmised.


“Oh, don’t get it twisted,” Matthew corrected her. “The rumors are most definitely true and I don’t know how Colleen’s not pregnant with like fifteen kids right now but I was not prepared for Justin.”


“So your romance with Joey has come to an end?” Sara asked.


“Never,” Matthew answered defiantly. “You may get to fuck him but he’s my Boo Bear and don’t you forget it.” A grin formed across Matthew’s face to show he was at least half joking.


“Can we come out now?” Joey yelled from inside the dressing room.


“God, I wish you would,” Matthew muttered before yelling back, “Yes, let’s work the runway gentlemen. Show off the goods…and by goods, I actually do mean the clothes this time.”


The families gathered around as JC emerged first, pulling at the lapels of his black knee length jacket and hitting a spin, gold flashing as he did so. The gold completely offset the typical suit nature of the rest of the outfit of black pants and a white button down shirt however his shoes did match the detailing.


“Wow, you look great!” Colleen walked up and gave him a kiss. Something about the way he moved was different than when he went into the dressing room; there was a bigger air of confidence and self assurance than usual and Colleen quickly realized he was transitioning into show mode.


“Now, turn around and show off the back,” Matthew told him and JC did so. In gold letters were his name and several musical notes surrounding it. “Gold for the golden voice,” Matthew smiled.


Justin was the next to come out, his outfit similar in nature but his jacket appeared to be a black sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and his shoes were silver. With a turn, Justin showed off the back with “JT” emblazoned on the back but a more colorful array of emblems surrounding it. A red fedora, a disco ball, a gold tie and a tree with orange leaves represented his solo albums while the hood had the *NSYNC flame in gradient shades of blue.


“Matthew, this is perfect,” Colleen exclaimed as she looked over Justin’s outfit then she looked up, shocked and choking back a sob. “Justin, your hair…”


“Well, figured if we’re trying to be authentic,” he blushed and ran his hands through his budding curls, his customary beanie having hidden his hair from view all day.


“Daddy curly,” Phin giggled.


“That’s what they used to call me,” Justin laughed as he grabbed his son.


“We aren’t even done yet,” Matthew said excitedly. He knew if Colleen was into these looks, the fans would be as well.


Lance came out next with a black jean jacket and emerald green shoes. His name adorned the back like the others and a large pride flag shown over the top of it and a rocket ship underneath.


“Did you come up with these or did the guys?” Kyle asked Matthew.


“A little bit of both. I had the initial concept and some ideas but it was important the guys got to express themselves so they definitely had input,” Matthew confirmed.


“There’s something familiar about this,” Colleen was starting to analyze as Joey walked out in a black vest and red shoes, turning and pointing at his back with “Fat One” in fire engine red. A bunny rabbit peaked out from the O and the t was made to look like a hot dog.


“Only you,” Brihana shook her head at her father and gave him a hug.


Chris was the last in a black leather jacket with copper colored shoes and detailing on the back. A golden pineapple sat under his name while simply the word “Founder” appeared in the same gold with cursive font above.


Once the guys were standing next to each other, it finally hit Colleen what she was looking at. “You combined the VMA reunion looks with the jackets from the Pop Odyssey tour!”


“More the latter but yes!” Matthew clapped. “Do you think people will notice? I tried to incorporate original looks in different ways best I could for all the outfits but I wanted them to be comfortable as well.”


“Not as much dancing this time around but still gotta move,” Lance exclaimed.


“Says the one that actually can full out dance this time around,” JC laughed.


“What can I say, I’m a late bloomer,” Lance smiled.


“These are amazing, Matthew,” Colleen touched JC’s sleeve. “Still *NSYNC but modern.”


“Well that’s what we were going for so hopefully the rest of the outfits translate as well,” Joey stated then turned to Matthew. “You seriously did a great job, thank you, on behalf of all of us.”


“You know how to reach me if something happens while you're on the road,” Matthew reminded him. “I ordered you extra pants, they’ll be here tomorrow, just in case.”


The two friends smiled at each other. “Ah, fuck it,” Joey exclaimed as he pulled Matthew forward and gave him a full on, closed mouth kiss on the lips. Matthew’s eyes went wide in shock and he actually didn’t know what to do. Joey pulled back with a smile as Matthew blinked then dramatically fell to the floor. “I still got it,” Joey proclaimed.


“If you could have ten percent less of it, you’d be much less embarrassing,” Brihana deadpanned.


“Is it too late to trade out Fatones? I like her better,” Chris asked anyone that would listen.


The members, the families and the crew gathered together tightly in a prayer circle with about ten minutes to go until curtain. “Chris, you should start,” JC suggested.


“Shit, ok, ummm,” Chris tried to think. “Not many people get to realize their dreams. I wouldn’t if it wasn’t for so many of the people in this room. Who could believe at fifty…”


“Fifty one,” Joey coughed.


“Thanks Joe,” Chris rolled his eyes. “Who would believe that this group of old men could still be considered a boy band and sell out venues? It wouldn’t work if it were any other guys or any other team helping us to achieve our goals.”


“I, uh, I’m just happy to be here,” Joey cleared his throat, trying to keep his emotions in check. “Like, literally, right here with you all. With my girls. I think I’m still in shock we’re doing this.”


“Same here,” Lance echoed. “I know they won’t remember it but having my kids here to see this…I can’t put it into words.”


“Just means we’ll have to do another one so they do,” Justin winked as a chorus of surprised laughs broke out at his enthusiasm. “Seriously, this…being back together…it wasn’t something I realized I needed in my life but I am so damn proud of us. We did something right back then that people still want to see us perform together now.”


“Guess it’s me,” JC breathed. “I never thought I’d be standing here with you all today nor, if I’m being honest, did I think I’d ever want to be again. We’ve all had different paths since we took our “hiatus” and they’ve all had their individual bumps and obstacles along the way. They’ve also all had their joys and triumphs. While our paths sometimes ran wide from one another, they always converge back together once more. I am scared shitless but couldn’t be happier than to be with you all once more.”


After a brief prayer led by Johnny, the families said their goodbyes as the guys prepared to take the stage. “Go have fun, Josh,” Colleen kissed him, “and don’t try to look for me, I’ll be crying the whole time.”


“I really hope you enjoy it, but if there’s something you don’t, let me know. We can tweak stuff.”


“I’m sure I will have nothing to complain about,” Colleen smiled and gave him a final hug before heading into the audience. Once the kids’ headphones were tightly in place, the families went en mass to their seats in the area cornered off for them and the VIP guests. Michael, Kyle, AJ and Sara positioned themselves around Colleen so her bump would be hidden from the crowd now screaming with anticipation as they got settled.


“Are we ready?” Justin asked his band mates as the five huddled together.


“We ain’t getting any younger,” Chris quipped then pointed a finger at Joey. “Don’t you dare.”


“I was just gonna say I know in Theatre it’s “break a leg” but in our cases, don’t break a hip, guys,” Joey grinned.


“Everyone’s been waiting long enough, especially us,” Lance put his hand out in the middle of the group, followed by Justin, Joey and Chris. All eyes turned to JC.


“Let’s do this,” he smiled brightly as he slapped his hand on top. The guys all hugged and took their places as the house lights dimmed and the roar of the crowd became near deafening. Colleen could already hear crying and wasn’t sure if it was her own or not anymore.


“Here we gooooo,” Kyle sang to her as she squeezed her hand. Colleen breathed and for a brief moment forgot it was her boyfriend and his friends on that stage and let herself succumb to the glee of finally getting to see *NSYNC in concert again.


Through the darkness came the five distinct yet harmonious voices of the band, starting the same way they started as a band, a capella.


If I wasn’t a celebrity

Would you be so nice to me?


The guys paused as the crowd screamed for a good thirty seconds. Colleen found herself griping Kyle’s hand tighter as Sara flanked her other side. The women huddled together in anticipation.


Celebrity


A spotlight shown down on Lance with his back to the audience as the guys whispered the ominous word. The light caught Lance’s jacket perfectly so even the farthest audience member could see the detailing. The light shown for a few seconds and abruptly went out while another round of screams cascaded through the crowd.


Celebrity 


Justin’s back lit up and Colleen was convinced the walls would crumble around them from all the noise. His hood was loosely over the back of his head so no one could see his hair yet. Colleen was waiting to see who would be the first to faint and hoped it wouldn’t be her.


Celebrity 


Joey was next and Colleen could see the nervous energy coming off of him in just the few seconds the spot light was up as the crowd roared.


Celebrity 


The screams turned into chants of his name as JC was shown next. Colleen could definitely hear sobbing through the crowd now, herself to on pins and needles to give way quite yet. It took longer for the crowd to quiet down this time.


Celebrity 


Chris stood center stage as the crowd erupted in cheers and applause. The light went out as all the others had previously and the stage remained dark. One solitary bass voice finally filled the air:


Lately


The stage exploded into light, literally. Pyrotechnics went off as the guys launched into the song, turning around and running to the edge of the stage, Justin and Chris heading down the catwalk, everyone performing with the same intensity and energy as their younger selves did. Colleen couldn’t hold back as she let out a scream of excitement. Suddenly, she was eighteen again, with her girlfriends, watching the man she loved give the crowd his all. This time around however, he actually loved her back.


The first third of the concert breezed by as the guys put new spins on old classics and thanked the crowd at every turn. After a brief video montage to allow for a break and an outfit change, the guys emerged in casual wear. All were in jeans and various t shirts, looking like they were just hanging out for the evening. Five upright logs surrounded a campfire on stage right.


“I know we had a budget this time but did we really need to recycle your old set?” Chris directed at Justin, who was being handed a guitar.


“You guys said you wanted a quality tour,” Justin teased back.


“No, we just said we wanted a tour,” Joey corrected him, which was met with applause.


“So what exactly are we doing, Justin?” Lance asked like this wasn’t completely rehearsed ad nauseum. 


“Remember that video I sent you of these three idiots?” Justin gestured towards Chris, Joey and JC who was fussing with his own guitar.


“That’s pretty broad subject matter,” Lance countered.


“Can someone bring that up on the screen?” Justin called out. Instantly, the video JC had shown Colleen on the beach came up of the three friends singing in Joey’s backyard, the crowd absolutely losing their minds.


“Exactly how drunk are you all in that video?” Lance laughed.


Joey started counting on his fingers as Chris answered, “Drunk enough for JC to be singing off key.”


“Well I figured, maybe you guys wanna give it a go for real?” Justin offered as he sat down, the other men joining him.


Bitter sweet thing

Could this be a dream?


JC sang out the first verse to the shock of the crowd, the rest of the group soon joining with their signature five part harmony, elevating the song to new heights.


The group sang through the first round of the chorus and then transitioned as Joey took over the lead.


Tell me how long

Were we together 

Before we got together?


Colleen’s mouth dropped open just as nearly every other jaw in the concert hall did the same. Joey singing lead? JC performing one of his solo songs? It was clear the guys had thought out every element to highlight their individual contributions but show how they still came together as a band. Doing the same thing never worked for them before as they were always reinventing themselves during their heyday, it only felt right to take the feedback they’d been hearing from fans and incorporate it into the show.


The song finished as four band members left the stage, leaving JC by himself. Joey had already performed a song solo earlier so it was becoming clear each guy would have a separate turn on stage.


“Well, hey everybody,” JC waved to the crowd, who screamed their appreciation back. “Wow,” breathed, “this is crazy. Are you all having a good time?” The crowd screamed again as JC fidgeted in his seat, trying to figure out exactly what he wanted to say.


“First of all, thank you to every single one of you for being here tonight. Obviously, if it wasn’t for your support, your patience and most of all, your unwavering dedication and tenacity, we would not be here. I, um, I’m so humbled by everything that has happened, especially these past few months, that I feel the need to be honest with you all about something.”


“What the hell is he doing?” Justin worried out loud, ready to run out on stage and save JC from himself but Lance’s hand stopped him.


“I don’t know but let him do it,” Lance stated.


“It’s taken me the longest to get to this place, to want to be onstage again. There’s a lot of reasons for that but more reasons to deal with those feelings and move beyond them. I’ve gotten the letters, I’ve seen the tweets. You may not see me a lot but believe me, I see you and all your kind words,” JC smiled.


“What the hell, are you Santa?” Joey burst onto the stage with a handheld mic, only to be pulled back by Chris.


“Anyways,” JC laughed nervously, “I can’t thank everyone that I need to but there are a few key people I need to acknowledge. First and foremost, my band mates, my best friends, my brothers. Even at my lowest, you all never gave up on me and I’ll never be able to express to you how much you all mean to me. Uh, even though my parents aren’t here physically, I want to thank them publicly not only for loving me and supporting me but for actively choosing to do so.”


“Oh God,” Lance realized. “I know what he’s doing.” Before Justin could ask, JC continued.


“Most importantly, tonight, I want to say thank you to my girlfriend, my partner, Colleen. I tend to keep my private life exactly that but she deserves to not hide away in the shadows because of me. She’s got such a bright light inside of her that shouldn’t be contained and it’s selfish to keep it all to myself. Babe, you’ve shown me a life I never believed possible and I’m so blessed to get to share it with you…and in a few months, with our child.”


It felt like the entire venue took a collective gasp at the news then quickly started cheering. Colleen’s smile was so huge as she looked at JC, proud of him for taking yet another leap of faith. She saw him wipe a tear away as he found her face in the crowd and she turned and waved him away so he could get back to his performance.


“Right, so,” JC said, taking Colleen’s cue to focus, “I was supposed to come out here and sing one of my songs but I couldn’t find one that really suited how I’ve been feeling. However, there is a song I rediscovered recently that I’d like to play for you all, if you don’t mind.” Of course, the crowd readily agreed. “This is a song called “All I Know So Far” by one of the most powerful voices in the industry, P!nk,” JC introduced the song before launching into it.


I haven’t always been this way

I wasn’t born a renegade 

I felt alone, still feel afraid

I stumble through it anyway


From the audience, Colleen was weeping tears of joy as JC did what he does best, express his feelings through song. He wasn’t singing for the audience, or even Colleen at that point; he was singing for himself. His band mates watched in awe from the wings at the rawness of the performance and the crowd was as silent as it had been all night as he commanded the stage with just his voice and a guitar.


You throw your head back 

And you spit in the wind

Let the walls crack

Cause it lets the light in

Let ‘em drag you through hell

They can’t tell you

To change who you are

That’s all I know so far


The second time through the chorus, JC stood and made his way down the catwalk. Colleen wasn’t far from it and made her way over, instinctively knowing he was coming for her. JC saw her out of the corner of his eye and knelt down, slinging his guitar behind his back and grabbing Colleen’s hand to sing the bridge to her directly.


I will be with you 

Til the world blows up

Up and down and through

Til the world blows up

When it’s right 

Or when it’s all fucked up

Til the world blows up

Til the world blows up

And we will be enough

Until the world blows up


He kissed her quickly before standing up to finish the song. Colleen stood agape watching him, the sheer power of simply his voice holding the thousands of people who watched captivated. He bared his soul for the world yet again and Colleen couldn’t have been prouder.


“Hear that, little one? That’s your Daddy doing what he was born to do.” Colleen’s stomach responded by churning in an odd manner she wasn’t used to as she felt a sharp stab to her bladder.


Kyle and Sara made their way over as Colleen didn’t react once the song ended and grew worried. “Honey, are you ok? Do we need to go?” Kyle quickly asked.


“No, I’m ok,” Colleen said in bewilderment. “I think the baby just kicked me.”


“That’s a good thing, right?” Sara asked, confused at the issue.


“Yeah, it’s definitely a good thing, just, a new thing,” Colleen began to laugh as she watched JC being applauded and praised by the crowd, his band mates rejoining him onstage as they each gave him a hug. Seeing him where he belonged and still being able to snuggle up in bed with him tonight, starting a family with him…it couldn’t be more perfect. Their eyes caught sight of one another again and in that moment, they each felt confident they could handle whatever life threw at them next because they would be handling it together.


I am yours, you are mine…until the world blows up.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I believe this is the best place to leave JC and Colleen and their story....at least for now. Thank you so much to everyone who has read this story over the year plus I've been writing it. What started as a simple idea turned into so much more and thank you for going on this crazy trip with me and being so supportive.

If there is any questions or lose ends I didn't address you want to know about, feel free to comment and I'll be happy to answer, or maybe write a little one-shot for it.


Completed
ShadesofNsync is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Be Set Free To Me also liked 75 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story