Author's Chapter Notes:

The collision

JC stood on the platform, hands in his suit pockets waiting for the train to take him to the U.S. Capitol.

Damn it, he thought looking at his watch. It was 7:15 on a Thursday morning, and the crowd at Van Ness Station was getting larger by the second. He had been advised not to leave later than 7, but he had to make sure he looked put together and awake before his 8 a.m. meeting with members of Congress about funding for art and music education.

“Hi, excuse me,” a small voice behind him said. “I’m sorry to bother you, but are you JC Chasez?”

He smiled sweetly and gave a small nod.

“Can I get your autograph?” the stranger asked with a huge grin on her face.

“Sure, sweetie,” he said, taking the pen and paper she held out. She was cute, blonde, about 10 years his junior and dressed like a new congressional intern – pristine white blouse under a black fitted jacket with a black pencil skirt and small black heels. Perfect for an early fall day.

JC signed the sheet of paper and handed it back to the girl as she turned and jabbered to her friend. “Oh my God! Thank you!” was all he managed to catch.

He turned around laughing to himself. It was September 2007, so although he was still recognized, it was not to the level of needing a bodyguard at all times like he did during *NSYNC’s heyday. No matter the circumstances, he made a point to always try to be kind to fans because he knew the moment was special to them. And he understood how privileged he was to be in the position to be recognized like that. It was that recognition that allowed him to meet with members of Congress.

If it were up to him, though, he would rather not be recognized at all. Not that he didn’t appreciate the success he’d had with *NSYNC or as a solo artist, but he liked being able to be himself; to be Josh. He had gotten a taste of the quiet life and liked the freedom it provided. In Washington, D.C., he could easily blend into the crowd in his navy-blue suit, white button down shirt and thin navy tie, looking like any other senior congressional aide on his way to Capitol Hill.

With the train a few moments away, he turned his attention to a piece of paper he pulled from his pocket. He’d written down some notes to review before meeting with, among other members of Congress, Rep. Diane Watson of California about the importance of funding public school art and music programs, a cause he was happy to use his platform to support.


He felt good as he left the two-hour meeting, shaking hands with each of the members. As he left the Capitol, JC looked at his watch. He had time to sit and enjoy DC a little. It had been about a decade since the last time he was in the nation’s capital with time to explore.

A friend had suggested he visit a cool coffee spot near the Capitol if he had time, so he decided to take a short detour to check it out. The walls were painted with bright floor-to-ceiling murals depicting artists, musicians, authors, activists and symbols of D.C. Starbucks it certainly was not. But it was very much D.C. and fit the headspace he was in to be creative. It had a comfortable vibe that lent itself to everybody, whether looking for a nice coffee shop to spend a few hours or a place to meet friends for brunch.

“Hi… Allyson,” he said as he walked up to the counter, pausing for a second to obviously read the barista’s nametag on her black polo shirt. “I was told I had to get a peppermint mocha latte.”

“Good choice,” Allyson said, recognizing the man standing in front of her but staying calm on the outside. “That’s one of our newest additions and one of my favorites.”

“Perfect. I’ll take a grande, medium, regular, whatever you call them here. I hope it lives up to the hype,” he said with a chuckle.

“If it doesn’t, then it’s on the house,” Allyson said turning her flirt on a bit.

“Confident. I like it,” he said, as he handed over a $10 bill, sticking a few bills into the tip jar before taking his change. “So are these books for sale?”

With affirmation from Allyson, JC browsed the shelves in the connected bookstore as he waited for his coffee, finding Sharon Osbourne’s autobiography she’d released a few years earlier. After paying for the book, he found a small table next to a window that allowed for great natural light.

He grinned as he took the first sip of his coffee. It was sweet, but it was good and was living up to the hype. A nice treat after what he felt was a successful morning. He sat with the book, but every now and then, looked up to take a glance at the people walking along the sidewalk. 

A nice thing he noticed about the place was no one seemed to know who he was, and if they did, they didn’t care. It was the perfect “chill” environment he was looking for.

After an hour-and-a-half, he could feel the lunch rush beginning as more tables began filling up around him. Taking that as his cue to go and free up his table, he walked to the counter and ordered a second drink – a lemon tea – to go.

It wasn’t Allyson who took his order, but as he grabbed his drink labeled “Josh,” he heard from behind him, “So I guess it was good.” Allyson had come back from her break just in time to see JC walking toward the door with a paper cup in his hand.

“Met every expectation,” he called back with a wink.

As he slipped out the door, Allyson’s coworker Shannon walked up alongside Allyson ready to open the second register. “Was that?” she asked, her voice trailing off as soon as she began the question.

“JC Chasez?” Allyson said still staring at the door. “Uh-huh.” The moment was starting to sink in, though she still didn’t believe it.

“He was totally vibing with you.”

“Oh please! Yeah right!” Allyson scoffed, giving Shannon a look. She was overcompensating for the fact that she totally felt that same spark, but she couldn’t admit it. Allyson Stewart not only knew who JC was the moment he walked in the door, but she had known that face for decades after first seeing him on MMC.

 “Allie! Did you even try to get his phone number? Based on what I just saw, I guarantee he would’ve given it to you.” Shannon Baker was 27 and had the mindset that she did not need a man; however, that did not stop her from having a little fun and trying to set up Allyson.

“No, I’m a professional,” Allyson said adjusting her imaginary tie.

“Yeah, OK. Didn’t stop you from getting a selfie with Orlando Bloom last year,” Shannon laughed. Shannon and Allyson, who celebrated her 28th birthday in July, had worked together since the coffee shop first opened its doors in 2006 and were two of the few founding employees still at the shop.

“Next time he’s in here, get his number or slip him yours – just do something,” Shannon called out pointing to Allyson as Allyson made her way to the back to get another bag of paper hot coffee sleeves.

“Yeah, OK sure,” Allyson laughed as she disappeared around the corner.

He’s never coming in here again, she thought to herself, kicking herself for missing her opportunity to at least get a picture.

JC didn’t know it, but he was on Shannon’s clock and had five more hours to walk into the store before Allyson finished for the day. She had barely finished the thought when he walked back through the door.

Holy shit, Shannon thought. She did not think she would have to make Allyson follow through on the new pact.

As soon as she saw JC bypass the counter, Shannon power walked to the backroom. “Allyson! Get out here now!”

With a groan, she stood up from the box she was opening. “What is it?”

“Take a look.” Shannon nodded toward where JC was walking to the table on the far side of the restaurant where he had watched the morning transition into afternoon. She pushed Allyson out onto the floor. “Go!”

 Allyson gave Shannon a look and casually walked over to where JC was reaching over to collect the book he had left on the windowsill next to his table.

He did not realize the barista had walked up behind him, and stood up swiftly with the book in hand, sending his shoulder directly into Allyson’s jaw. The perils of being 5’5” compared to JC’s 5’11” frame.

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry!” he said turning around quickly, his hands quickly grabbing onto Allyson’s shoulders to steady her.

“No, no it’s cool,” she said blinking her dark green eyes a few times and rubbing her now throbbing jaw. “I just came over to tell you that I love your music, and you were always my favorite on MMC and, of course, *NSYNC too.”

JC politely nodded. He thought he would get in and out without being noticed, and now not only did he have a run-in with a fan, but he had just literally run into and injured one.

“I’m sorry. I know this is totally unprofessional,” she continued. “My coworker made me swear that I would tell you what you meant to me if you came back in. I’m sorry. OK, bye! Have a nice day!” she said as she awkwardly turned and waved back as she weaved between the tables and chairs rushing back to the storage room where she proceeded to cry and squeal into her hands, excited and embarrassed by the whole situation.

“OK, that was weird,” JC muttered to himself as he stood there confused, shaking his head a little. Truly, it was one of the strangest fan encounters he had had in recent years.

Meanwhile Allyson was desperately trying to calm herself.

“Oh my God! I hate you!” she cried to Shannon as she stood in the doorway.

Risking the wrath of Allyson, Shannon asked, “So did you get his info?”

“No! I completely fangirled over him after he knocked my jaw all out of whack,” she said massaging her jaw again.

Shannon cocked an eyebrow. “He knocked into you?”

Allyson couldn’t help but laugh. “Shut up! I blame you, you know?”

 

“That’s fine,” Shannon said as she just laughed and shrugged. “At least you have a story.” 

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you're ready to come on this journey with me. This is my first longer multi-chapter story.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story