The pair spent hours at the National Geographic Museum looking at models of the Titanic and computer graphic simulations, reading some of the transcripts of the SOS calls and watching videos of the many explorations to the wreckage. Before hitting the gift shop, a scale model of the bow of the ship – where Rose and Jack stand in the movie – was set up for photo ops.

After they both took their individual photos on the stage, JC said, “Come on. Didn’t every girl imagine they could be Rose and fall in love with Leo? You have to do the Rose pose.”

They both laughed at the accuracy.

“Yes, but you’re not Leo.”

“No, but I am a Leo. Besides, don’t I get to pretend also?”

“Fine. Come on!” she said with a smile.

“Would you mind taking our picture?” he asked the volunteer in a black National Geographic polo shirt.

They stood on the platform, arms extended pretending to be Rose and Jack.

“Where’s Celine Dion when you need her?” JC asked with a chuckle as he took back his phone, thanking the volunteer. “Thank you for indulging me,” he told Allyson. “I like to play tourist when I visit places.”

“I know. And honestly I’m glad you convinced me to do that. I’d have probably regretted it as soon as we left.”

By the time they finished searching in the gift shop that had everything from books to jackets to gifts, it was about time to grab an early dinner before Allyson had to go to her night class.


After a nice, quiet dinner at Logan Tavern, JC and Allyson headed back to Tenleytown to finish chatting before she had to go to her class. It was the end of their last day together before JC went back to LA. He promised his friend, the GWU professor, that he would spend Wednesday visiting before his flight that night. The arrangement was one Allyson quickly agreed to.

On their way, JC sent a quick text to Lance: You win. Complicated.

Lance’s quick reply was simply: :)


JC and Allyson chatted about anything and everything, and as their day together neared its end, JC said, “Thank you, again, for helping me sort things out with this whole Us Weekly thing.” He just shook his head as they stood at the island in Allyson’s kitchen. “I can’t believe I let that happen.”

“It’s OK,” she said, reaching her arm up to touch his shoulder and gently rub his back near his right shoulder blade. “We all make mistakes. And besides, it sounds like you’ve got a good plan.”

“Yeah. Well, I wish I hadn’t wasted half the day trying to come up with it.”

“Don’t worry about it. I had a really good time yesterday and today,” she said with a smile as she took her hand back. “I’m glad you decided to make a trip down here to visit.”

“I had to see my favorite barista,” he said, smiling at her.

Without warning, JC slowly, hesitantly moved his head closer to Allyson’s.

WHAT IS HAPPENING??? Allyson’s head started screaming as her mind caught up with reality. The next thing she knew JC’s lips were on hers, softly yet firmly.

She let her eyes close and take in the moment as she pressed her lips against his.


After a few seconds the kiss came to an end and the two looked at each other, neither really wanting to ask the other how they felt.

“So, um,” JC started, after an awkward pause. He scratched the back of his neck, but couldn’t finish his thought.

“Yeah,” Allyson said. “Thanks.”

Thanks? she thought. JC Chasez just kissed you, and you say thanks? What are you? Stupid??

“Yeah.” A few moments of tension-filled silence passed before JC spoke again. “Can I ask you something, and you’ll be 100% honest?”

“Sure,” Allyson said, breaking out of the daze she had been in trying to reconcile her feelings about the reality of what happened.

“What did you feel just now?”

Her eyes focused on JC. “You want me to be absolutely honest?”

“As honest as you can be.”

“It felt weird,” she said. “I mean I’ve dreamt of that happening since I was in high school, but I don’t know, the fireworks I always expected to be there weren’t. I can’t explain it.” 

“No, I know exactly what you mean. That’s why I asked. It felt just what it was, a kiss between friends. Nothing romantic behind it.”

“Yes! Exactly. There wasn’t any romantic love there.”

“Well, do you want to try again and see if it’s different?”

“I’m willing to try anything twice,” Allyson joked timidly. She wasn’t nervous the first time because she didn’t see it coming. Now, she was nervous.

JC took his hand and cupped Allyson’s cheek, bringing her face closer to his until their lips made contact again, both closing their eyes. This time, JC opened his lips on hers and Allyson responded accordingly.

Pulling away, JC looked at Allyson as she opened her eyes again. “Anything?”

She gave him a half smile and shook her head. “No. The butterflies in my stomach certainly think there should be. But no.”

“Me either. So. Friends it is?” He held out his hand.

“Friends,” she said, shaking his hand.


They gave each other a long hug at the door, enjoying every second of it. JC left to go to his hotel as Allyson picked up her bag to go to campus.

“Now that I feel. Your hugs are so comfortable,” she said as she lifted her head from his chest.

“That I can agree with you on,” he said, as he kissed the top of her head. “I’ll text you later.”

 

She just smiled back.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story