Wednesday morning, at the request of Shannon, Allyson got to work a few minutes early.

“What the hell is this?!” Shannon ambushed Allyson, holding up a copy of Us Weekly.

“I know,” Allyson said. “You should’ve seen how upset he was.”

“How upset he was? I’m pissed! How could he do this to you?”

“Do what to me?” Allyson asked confused.

“He’s off getting it on with this chick, when he should be with you.”

“He’s not supposed to be with me. We’re just friends.”

“Will you stop lying to yourself,” Shannon said angrily. It was the angriest Allyson had seen Shannon in a long time.

Allyson did her best to stay calm, but she was a little put off by the way Shannon seemed to be attacking her. “I’m not. We kissed yesterday before he left, and we agreed there’s nothing there.”

“Bull shit!” Shannon said still in a rage before comprehending what Allyson had just said. “Wait, you what?”

Allyson chuckled. “Last night, before he left and I went to class, he kissed me. It was a sweet kiss – yes, on the lips before you ask – but neither of us felt that ‘spark’ you’re supposed to feel. Believe me, I wanted it to be there. I’ve had a crush on that man since I was a teenager,” Allyson said sitting down on the chair in the makeshift employee lounge.

“Why isn’t there a spark there?’ Shannon asked, transitioning from enraged friend to comforting friend.

“I don’t know. I mean we had a great time when he was here, and it felt flirty and sweet, but when we kissed, that magic you would expect and that I always hoped would be there just, wasn’t there.”

“OK take me through this. Where was the kiss? What happened? Did he initiate?”

“OK, so we had gotten back to my place after going to the Nat Geo museum – you know they have that new Titanic exhibit – and getting dinner, but the first half the day was spent figuring out a damage control plan for this,” she said, gesturing to the magazine sitting on the table. “So we got back to my place, and he was thanking me for helping him with his plan and, I think, just being there for him. I thanked him for making a special trip to visit me, and then next thing I know he’s kissing me.”

Shannon was intently listening, nodding along, encouraging Allyson to continue.

“And it was just kind of awkward,” she said.

“All first kisses are!” Shannon interjected.

“No, it wasn’t first kiss awkward. It was like two friends kissing, and it just didn’t feel right. There was no romantic feeling, and he said the same thing. We tried again, more intentional this time. I mean, it was the perfect movie kiss.”

“Wait, so he kissed you twice?”

“Yes,” Allyson grinned. “And the second time, even with the look of being more romantic still didn’t have that spark. It’s like we’ve become too good of friends or something. I don’t know.”

“And so that’s it?”

“That’s it. We left it as friends, right where we were before.”

“And are you OK with that?”

“I have to be. I mean, I want there to be something there, but I can’t force it. It just wasn’t there. I don’t know how to make myself feel something that’s not there.”


Across the Potomac, JC met with his childhood friend Charles Bratson, before going back to LA later that night.

“Hey, man! It’s been a while,” JC said, embracing his friend. “Thanks again for letting me stay at your place in the fall. It’s amazing! I wish my place looked like that.”

“Sure thing. And don’t be fooled – that’s all Jennifer’s touch.”

“How’s she doing?”

“Good. She’s living her best marine biologist life with the sea turtles in the Galapagos. Her research residency ends in June, so she should be home by the Fourth.”

“How many research trips does she do?”

“This will be her last one for a while. At least as far as a residency. When she gets home, we’re going to start talking a little more seriously about starting our family.”

“That’s great, man! Charlie, the dad,” JC smiled. “I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks, Josh. I appreciate that. So what made you come back to D.C.?” Charles asked.

“Well, I was in New York last week for this charity record we’re doing, and, well, remember that girl I was telling you about from the coffee shop?”

“Oh yeah! And to think, I thought you came to see me,” Charles said with a laugh as he connected the dots.

“Hey man! You know I’d make a trip to see you too! Bowie bros for life!” JC chuckled. “But, yeah, I mean, Allyson and I have just become really tight, really quickly. She’s like, you know, that comfortable place. She put up with me going off about this whole Us Weekly thing and helped me come up with a plan.”

“What Us Weekly thing?”

JC gave Charles the Cliffnotes version of Erin and the fallout of Saturday.

 “I know,” JC said as Charles sat back gobsmacked by the story. “Charlie, I’m not kidding, I have not been that angry in years! It’s everything I fear when I’m with anyone.”

“Do you fear it with her?”

“With Allyson? Not at all.”

“So why did you sound hesitant just now talking about her in the context of the plan?”

“I think I messed things up,” JC said, sitting back in his chair. “We had a great time while I was here. We went to the zoo and then after figuring out this mess, we went to the National Geographic Museum.”

“So a couple dates,” Charles interrupted.

“I don’t know that I’d classify them as dates, but sure,” JC said for simplicity. “I like her, and I got caught up in everything and kissed her.”

Charles gave his friend a look silently asking where the problem was.

“We’ve developed a really great friendship, and I think I pushed it too far. She said she didn’t feel that spark. It was weird, like it felt like the best kiss, but there was zero romance in it. But I’d be lying if I didn’t wish there was something there. She’s sweet and kind, but she keeps me in check too. And she’s just fun.”

“You can’t force it,” Charles said, JC just nodded in agreement. “Josh, believe me, you cannot force something like that. If it becomes something, let it, but do not force it. I learned that the hard way.”

“I know. I know. I just hope nothing changes to our friendship. She’s become a really steady presence for me. I need that.”

“If she’s meant to be in your life, she will be,” Charles said seriously. “And it sounds like she’s really good for you to have in your life.”

“Yeah,” he said with a smile. Wanting to get away from how deep the conversation was getting, JC deflected the attention off him. “So, anyway, tell me more about life with the Bratsons.”

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon catching up, revisiting old memories from growing up in Bowie together and changes to their hometown before JC had to leave for Reagan for his evening flight.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story