Author's Chapter Notes:

The plan

JC spent the next couple hours exploring the city before heading back to his friend’s apartment where he was staying through the weekend.

As he strolled through the National Mall, walking alongside the Reflecting Pool to visit the Lincoln Memorial, he kept replaying the incident with Allyson in his head. She was sweet, a little overly excited, but sweet. He couldn’t believe he just hit someone’s jaw with his shoulder. Even through the layers of his undershirt, button-up and suit jacket, he knew it must’ve hurt still.

As he looked around the memorial and read the words etched into the limestone walls, he decided he would go back to the coffee shop the next day and hopefully Allyson would be working, so he could try to make it up to her. If nothing else, help ease his own conscience that he hadn’t caused more serious harm.

He continued to the Smithsonian and took in the sights of D.C., more relaxed now that he had developed his plan.


The following day, JC made sure to get up so he could get to the coffee shop at the same time when he figured Allyson would be working. It was a comfortable day and he did not have any politicians to schmooze, so he let his stubble stay and opted for a simple white Dsquared T-shirt with roses on the chest with dark wash jeans and wine red tennis shoes.

“Excuse me,” he said approaching the person he saw at the counter. “Yesterday, I accidentally ran into one of your employees, pretty hard,” scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment, “and I just wanted to check that she’s OK.”

Shannon looked up amazed at what was happening right now. After the most disastrous encounter, JC was back to check on Allyson. Either Allyson made an excellent first impression on him or he was actually the sweetest person in the world. No matter which, Shannon was not going to let Allyson miss this chance.

“Oh yes, Allyson,” she said the edges of her lips cracking into an involuntary smile.

“Let me guess, you’re the one who made her come over to me yesterday?” he asked with a smirk.

“I might have encouraged her.”

JC looked down at the floor letting out a little laugh. “Well, I just want to make sure she’s OK. My shoulder hurt a little, so I can only imagine how her jaw felt.”

With a flash of a toothy grin, Shannon slipped to the back to get Allyson who was finishing up her break. “Uh, Allyson, there’s someone out front here to see you.”

“What? Who?”

“Take a look.” Shannon nodded her head toward the counter.

Allyson’s heart sank into her stomach and her stomach leapt into her throat as she saw JC checking his phone as he stood by the counter.

“What the hell is he doing here?” she nearly screamed grabbing Shannon’s arm as her eyes widened. “And why does he look so good?”

“He’s here to check on you to make sure you’re OK.”

Allyson gave Shannon a side glance. “Quit making fun of me.”

“I’m not kidding. That’s what he told me.” Shannon was giddy.

“I can’t go out there. Not after the fool I made of myself.”

“You can and you will,” Shannon said giving her a slight push before her tone became more sincere. “There’s got to be a bit of fate going on here, and he won’t wait forever.”

 Allyson took a deep breath and calmly walked out to where JC was standing. Her chin was still a little swollen, but the redness was gone.

“Hey!” JC said a smile brightening his face as he looked up. “Listen, I’m sorry about running into you yesterday. I just wanted to apologize again and make sure I didn’t hurt you too badly.”

“It’s fine. It was an accident, and the doctor said the broken bone will set on its own.”

She saw a flash of panic in JC’s eyes and let him sweat for a couple seconds before a laugh betrayed her exaggeration. “I’m joking! It’s all good.”

JC’s face instantly eased. “Well, let me make it up to you, please. It’ll make me feel better. And you’ll just get to have a free dinner at the place of your choosing.” It came out as both a statement and a question, and JC was not entirely sure which he intended it to be.

Allyson looked at him skeptically. He seemed sincere, but this was just bizarre.

“OK,” she answered hesitantly after a couple moments studying JC’s face. Geez his eyes are blue, she thought. “I get off at 6 today.”

“Does 7:30 give you enough time to get ready?” he asked.

“Should, yeah. And there’s a cool Irish pub near Union Station that’s chill.”

“You got it. I’ll meet you here at 7:30.”

Allyson flashed a smile and nodded. “OK.”

JC was turning to head out the door again and Allyson was still a little dumbfounded, unable to really process what was happening.

“Wait!” she called out before he reached the door. She cocked an eyebrow, “How do I know you won’t stand me up or kidnap me?”

“Here,” he said writing down his number on a scrap piece of receipt paper. “I’m trusting you with this. If I’m not here by 7:45, call me.” After a couple breaths, he added, “And I promise I won’t kidnap you.”

 

She smiled back and nodded. This was a scenario she had played in her head over and over again, dreaming of running into JC when she and her family would travel to Orlando for family trips to Disney World and Universal Studios.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story