“What is that face?” Liz asked as Allyson walked out the back door to the garden.

Allyson didn’t realize it, but she was absentmindedly smiling.

“What? Nothing,” she said as Liz stood up from tending to her tomato plant.

“Don’t lie to me. I know we haven’t hung out for a while, but your poker face is just as horrible now as it was in high school.”

“OK fine!” Allyson said, pretending like she would’ve actually been able to hold onto her excitement for much longer. “JC and I just kissed!”

“Girl, you did what now?” Liz said with a smile on her face, standing up. “Slow down now.”

“Well, we were saying bye and then I was just all in my feelings after he saved me and just the way he’s taken care of me. I backed off once I realized what I was doing, but then he pulled me back in and kissed me. Aaaah.”

“Wow!” was all Liz could say a smile on her face now too. “That’s quite a birthday gift. So how was it?”

“Amazing! Everything I imagined. Everything I was hoping for last time that wasn’t there. Oh my God! I have to call Shannon!” Before Liz could say anything, Allyson had run back inside to grab her phone, leaving Liz to just laugh to herself.

I have news! Call me when you get off shift! Allyson excitedly texted Shannon.

I’m off in 5

Allyson sat on her bed trying to contain herself as she prepared to tell Shannon the news that she knew would have her head spinning.


“This better be good news because I have had nothing but fucking summer camp groups all day!” Shannon said.

Allyson just smiled knowing she was about to blow her friend’s mind. “WE KISSED AND THERE WAS A SPARK!!! More than just sparks, there were fucking fireworks!!”

“Wait, wait, you and who kissed? You and JC?”

“Mhmm!!”

“Ummm details, ma’am! Details!”

“It’s kinda a long story, but basically something happened, and he came to my rescue and was just there for me. Like I was there for him after the whole Us Weekly thing, but like even more. Then, as I was saying bye to him after he dropped me off at Liz’s, I just kind of kissed him but backed off, and he pulled me in and there were fucking fireworks, Shan!”

“Holy fuck! Allie!”

“I know, I know!” her grin stretching from ear to ear and then some.

“When is your birthday deal?”

“Tomorrow. We’re supposed to go to this brunch place JC knows, but that’s really the only set thing. We’re supposed to talk later.”

“OK, tell me how the post-kiss talk goes.”

Allyson giggled. “OK.”

“Girl, this is enough to get me through the summer. Man, LA did not disappoint!”


After a day of gardening, Liz and Allyson were finishing off a pecan-crusted chicken and green bean dish Liz had seen on Food Network that was just as good as what a restaurant in Hollywood would make.

Their plates cleaned, Allyson offered to wash the dishes and Liz took charge of drying. They were nearing the last of the dishes when Allyson’s phone buzzed on the counter. Looking back, she saw JC’s name on the screen.

“Go,” Liz said with a smile. There’s not much left. I got this. Go talk to your boy.”

Allyson rolled her eyes a little with a laugh. “He’s not my boy.”

“Yet,” Liz interjected.

Allyson could only giggle. “Hey!” she answered as she took the phone into the living room.

“Hey! So before I say anything else, I have to ask, you felt something earlier, right?”

“Definitely.”

“OK, good. Well, I’ve been in the studio all day trying to get this song finished for you, but tomorrow after brunch, how would you like to go for a walk along the beach?”

“That sounds great!”

“Perfect!” They shared a smile through the phone. “I just wanted to make sure, but I should probably get back to this song. I’ll see you tomorrow, though. And this place has a somewhat fancy dress code, but please be comfortable!”

“Liz and I both already have our sundresses picked out.”

“I can’t wait! See you soon, soon-to-be birthday girl!”

 

“See you tomorrow!”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story