Author's Chapter Notes:

What is love?

On our way, Allyson texted JC as they made their way to the restaurant.

I’ll be outside, JC texted back in record time.

Just as promised, JC was waiting for them at the front doors as Liz and Allyson made their way from the parking lot to the entrance.

Liz got to JC first and he offered a hug. Allyson had been feeling butterflies the entire way. Would he kiss her? Should she kiss him? Do they just hug? What is the protocol? Their dynamic had shifted literally overnight.

JC had been mulling the same questions. It’s not like they were dating, but they both felt something in that kiss. He knew he wanted more than friendship and felt like maybe she did also now. He knew a kiss likely would not be objected to, but he did not know if it was the proper reception.

Opening his arms up wide, Allyson slid in as naturally as ever, laying her head on his shoulder as JC kissed her cheek and whispered, “Happy birthday, mama,” into her ear, sending shivers down her spine. A look in JC’s eyes told her no kiss, not until they talked more about what yesterday’s kiss meant. 


A couple carafes of mimosas – and a “manmosa” for JC – were flowing as they chowed down on the delicious assortment of foods, including a breakfast bagel, French toast with powdered sugar and a Belgian waffle with berries.

“Oh my God! This is delicious!” Allyson said, digging into the French toast. “I haven’t had French toast in so long, and it’s almost as good as my mom’s. I’ll put this at second and that’s only because they don’t use challah bread.”

JC and Liz laughed. “Nobody beats momma’s cooking,” JC agreed. “That’s why I like this place. It’s got a cool vibe but is as close to home cooking as I’ll get.” He turned his attention to Liz, “Allie saw my kitchen failures first hand.”

With a mouthful of food, Allyson could only giggle and nod.

“Luckily, Liz is awesome in a kitchen!” she added once her mouth was free of food. “We had a chicken dinner last night that you’d get at a banquet.”

“I just watch Food Network and try their recipes until I get them right,” Liz said with a shrug.

“Sounds like me with home design and remodeling,” JC smiled, stealing another glance from Allyson and winking.

The brunch continued with the same light atmosphere ending with the presentation of homemade cupcakes JC had the restaurant stash in the back. As the plate of cupcakes came out with a few candles lit, JC started leading Liz and the waiters in singing “Happy Birthday” with some of the other guests on the patio joining in.

“Thank you,” Allyson mouthed to JC and Liz shyly as the singing continued. She did not like the attention, but loved that she had people who would give her the attention.

“Were there cupcakes on the menu?” Allyson asked, grabbing one with pastel yellow frosting.

“No, I got here early and had them stash these until we were done with brunch,” JC smiled.

“Wait, you made these?” she asked, dumbfounded with icing on her nose from the bite.

“I can’t cook, but you never asked if I could bake,” he said with an endearing smirk as he wiped the icing off Allyson’s nose.

The check settled, the trio headed to their cars and moved them to a nearby garage before heading to the beach.


“I asked Jimmy to join us at the beach if that’s OK,” JC said as they stepped out of the cars. “I want to talk to you, Allie, and I didn’t want Liz to be by herself.”

“Thanks, that was thoughtful,” Liz said. “Is Jimmy a friend of yours?”

“Yeah, he’s a fellow producer.”

About that time, Jimmy Harry was walking toward the group.

Introductions complete, JC asked to pull Allyson aside and left Liz and Jimmy to talk about anything and everything. For the most part, their conversation consisted of discussing their work experiences.


“Happy birthday, mama,” JC said, placing his hand on the small of Allyson’s back as they began walking along the boardwalk.

“Thank you. This really is a memorable birthday. And thank you for arranging this. It ended up being a great distraction from everything that’s happened.”

“Let’s not think about that. I do want to talk about yesterday, though.”

She stopped and turned to look at him through his sunglasses. “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, just what it means.” His hand returned to the small of her back as he encouraged her to continue walking with him.

“Everything felt different today,” he continued, quickly adding, “It wasn’t a bad different or anything, just… different.”

“I thought the same thing. I was running through in my head whether I hug you, kiss you or, shit, wave to you.”

They both laughed. “The same questions were running through my head too.”

“I could see it in your eyes. That’s why I didn’t try to kiss you.”

“Your eyes were telling me the same,” JC said with a smile. Coming upon an area with picnic benches, he motioned to the seats. “Do you want to sit down and talk or keep walking?”

“Let’s sit down for a minute,” she said, leading him to the table they had stopped next to. “I want to see your eyes.” She reached up and took his aviator-style sunglasses off his face and folded them on the table. She sighed as she looked into his blue eyes. She’d always thought his eyes were gorgeous, but they were even brighter and deeper in person. 

They sat quiet for a few minutes, just smiling at each other and giggling at the other’s silence.

“Soooooo…” JC started. “What were you feeling yesterday?”

“Everything,” Allyson said simply with a laugh.

“OK then,” JC laughed with her.

“I almost can’t put it all into words,” she continued. “The way you came to my rescue and took care of me, just something shifted. All of a sudden, I don’t know, I didn’t just see you as a friend anymore – even close or best friend. You became so much more. I felt safe in your arms, safer than I’ve ever felt with anyone. I knew I could cry to you, and you would take care of me. I knew you wouldn’t judge me or push me, but just let me cry. Everything I wanted to be there when we kissed in D.C. was there. The butterflies were flying from my stomach to my throat and back down.”

JC just sat there smiling at her across the table.

“What?” she giggled. “What about you? What did you feel when I sneak attack kissed you?”

“Everything I hoped you’d felt in D.C. I liked you then, and I wanted that spark to be there, but it was as if we had become too good of friends to be together. Then, I thought I’d messed everything up and ruined our friendship by kissing you and was relieved when you came to New York and everything felt right still. And when I saw you in that car pinned by that piece of shit, it just confirmed for me that you mean more to me than just a friend. The rage I felt was unlike anything I’d felt before. I just couldn’t believe someone would hurt someone I care so much about, someone I…” he paused as his sentence trailed off. Allyson smiled at him. “Love,” he said after an extended pause.

Allyson blushed and nodded. The word love coming from his lips rendered her speechless for a second. “I could feel the energy had changed. I love you too, Josh. But there’s a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. I can’t say that I’m in love, but I know in my soul that I love you.” She sighed, resting her elbows on the table with her hands cradling her chin.

JC just laughed at the picture he saw in front of him. “I couldn’t agree more,” he said, reaching out to take her hands in his and bring them down to the table. “I don’t want to put the pressure of being in love on us. If you love me, and I love you, that seems like a pretty good place to start.”

Allyson smiled back. “Do you want to keep walking?”

“Let’s go,” he said, getting up. “Do you want to keep going on the boardwalk or do you want to jump down to the sand?”

“I can hold my shoes,” she said, her eyes fixed on the beach.

 

“Let’s see what seashells we can find.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story