As the movie ended, the guys and Liz started to gather their belongings. Joey was staying with Lance while in LA, and Chris was staying with Justin for the trip.

One by one, they each wished Allyson a happy birthday as they headed toward the side door that led to the driveway.


“Hey, hon, I’m going to head back,” Liz said, yawning as she said it, about to call a cab.

“No,” JC said. “They both only have a 15-minute drive. I have an extra bedroom you’re more than welcome to use. Then, I’ll take you and Allie back to your place tomorrow.”

Yawning again, Liz did not argue and nodded her head. “What a birthday!” she said, hugging Allyson.


“Here, let me show you where the room is and give you the quick tour,” JC said, leading Liz throughout the house.

Allyson sat back down in the chair and smiled to herself, letting the reality of her birthday celebration sink in.


A few minutes later, JC returned to the lower level and Liz called down from the middle of the staircase to say goodnight.

Allyson waved back to her friend.


“Hey,” JC said, coming up behind Allyson and kissing her on the cheek. “I’ve got one more present for you.”

“What?” Allyson asked, turning to look at him. “What do you call all of this tonight?”

“A party,” he said with a smile. “But I have one more thing for you, if you’re not too tired.”

“No, no,” Allyson said, sitting up again.

JC chuckled. “OK, then, come with me,” he said, grabbing her hand to lead her to the lower level.


He led her into a rich wood-paneled room that had a treadmill in one corner alcove and a piano, a drum kit and four guitars spread throughout the larger main area.

“Welcome to the studio,” he said with a grin, still holding onto Allyson’s hand.


“What are we doing down here?” she asked in awe of the room.

“Your last gift is in here,” he said, meeting her questioning eyes with a smirk.


JC hit a button, and the familiar song she had heard earlier in the year began playing through the speakers in the studio.

“Oh I loved this song, Josh,” she said as she heard his vocals begin. They were standing at the soundboard, and JC instinctively wrapped his arms around Allyson as they swayed to the song.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


Turn around

You feel like it’s all gonna change

It’s written on your face

But girl don’t be afraid


Let’s talk about us

And the promises we made

How they still mean the same

The questions in your heart can’t be erased


You say I won’t come home

And that I’m leaving you alone, I know

But you’ll always be with me wherever I go

Close your eyes, 

Hear what my voice says,

It all comes down to making choices.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


Can you hear me now?
Do you know how much you mean to me?
I'm just a heartbeat away,
So girl don't be afraid

See time goes by so slowly
Every second of the day
I'm so lonely
In my heart you’re the one and only,
And I can't wait for you to hold me

Close your eyes,
Hear what my voice says,
It all comes down to making choices

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always

Every night,
Every night I walk outside.
I feel you everywhere,
I see you in the sky

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


“I will be there for you… always,” JC said into Allyson’s ear as they stood there, still swaying even after the last note faded to silence.

He hadn’t noticed, but Allyson had started to cry, softly. She wiped some tears off her cheeks and caught his attention.

“Oh no, did you hate it? Did I overstep?” JC panicked, turning her to face him.

“No, not at all. That’s the most beautiful thing I’ve heard. You wrote that for me?”

JC looked down and smiled as he nodded shyly.


 “I had it 90% done yesterday, but you inspired me, so I ended up adding a couple verses today after the beach.”

“What? Really?”

“Mhmm.”

She smiled at him before reaching up to wrap both arms around his neck. “Always?”

“Always,” he pressed his forehead against Allyson’s. “I’ll always be just a heartbeat away,” bringing his lips to meet hers for a quick kiss. “It was true in D.C., in New York, here, and will continue to be true wherever life leads us.”

Allyson cupped JC’s face and placed another soft, tender kiss on his lips.


He grabbed her hand and led her to a dark brown leather couch a couple feet away from where they were standing.


As they sat down, each placing one knee on the couch to face each other, she asked, “So when did you start writing that?”

“About three months ago,” he said with a laugh.

“Wow!”

“Honestly, I had it mostly complete three months ago too,” he said as he locked eyes with her again. “I just didn’t want to share all of it with you just yet, and I’m glad I didn’t. Happy birthday.”

“I couldn’t ask for a better gift,” she said, scooting closer to kiss him more deeply than before.

They both moaned into each other’s mouths as the kiss intensified.

“Wait,” JC said as they came up for air. “You know I didn’t write that for this. I wrote what I feel and all that I feel about you.”

“I know. And it’s one of the most thoughtful, meaningful and beautiful things anyone has ever done for me,” Allyson said, throwing her arms around his neck to hug him before capturing his mouth again.


After a few more passionate kisses, they forced themselves to separate and laughed as both their lips and cheeks were more flushed than when they walked into the studio.


“I think you have a decision to make, though,” JC said.

“What are you talking about?”

“Where are you sleeping tonight?”

“Josh!”

“What? It’s a legitimate question,” he chuckled. “I gave away the guest room, so are you sharing a bed with me or Liz – or do you want the couch? And, Allie, I promise, if you choose me, I truly mean just share a bed. I won’t do anything you don’t want to do, and won’t be upset if you choose Liz.”

“Let’s get one more slice of cake, and by the time we finish, I’ll make a decision,” she said diplomatically.

“Deal.”


They quietly made their way to the kitchen. Allyson sat on one of the stools at the island in the middle of the large kitchen as JC got a couple small plates and utensils.

“Milk or decaf?” JC asked.

“I think milk.”

“Me too,” he smiled.

With two glasses of 2% milk in either hand, he joined Allyson at the island.

“Cheers to 30,” JC said, raising a forkful of cake.

“Cheers to new adventures,” Allyson smiled as she met his fork with hers.


They each made their way through their cake slices, and as Allyson scooped up her last bit of cake and icing, JC walked their plates to the sink to rinse.

“So what’s it gonna be?” he asked.

Allyson got up and walked over to where JC was standing by the sink. “Would you get the wrong idea if I asked to stay with you tonight?”

“Not at all. Now, if you start asking me to do certain things, I might,” he said with a cheeky smile that made his eyes squint.

She giggled and cupped his face. “Just sleep.”

 

“Just sleep, got it,” he said, kissing her nose.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story