“So, how are we feeling food wise?” JC asked the women as the duo-turned-trio headed to the parking lot.

“We haven’t had too much to eat today actually,” Liz said, just realizing it herself.

“NORMS is open late, and I passed one on my way over here. Just good all-day breakfast, lunch and dinner.”

Liz and Allyson both looked at each other and agreed.

“Sounds good,” they said almost in unison.

“OK. Liz, you’re going to get on the I-5 and take the exit for Euclid, and it’s right off that.”

“Easy enough.”

“Meet you there!” Allyson said as they walked toward their cars.


About 10:30 they pulled into the NORMS parking lot.

“This is very California,” Allyson said, looking at the sign’s orange and white design.

“It’s definitely a staple, and just always good.”

Not two minutes later, JC pulled in next to Liz’s car. “Ready for some comfort food?”

“Absolutely!” Allyson said.


Without much of a wait, the group was seated promptly at a square four-top table and gazed over all the sweet and savory options on the menu. All three found their orders pretty quickly, leaving the rest of the time open to conversation – until the food arrived.

“So how would you rate your first LA experience?” JC asked Allyson.

Allyson just giggled. “What am I rating it between?”

JC looked at Liz, “0-10? Or 0-100?”

“Let’s go simple,” she said. “0-10.”

“100 out of 10,” Allyson laughed. “Well actually maybe 99 out of 10. No, 99-and-a-half out of 10 because the thing that sucked did lead to something pretty great.” She smiled, knowing both of them knew exactly what she meant.


Soon the plates of breakfast foods were spread over the table and coffee cups full.

“I’m probably going to regret this coffee,” Liz said.

“I know I will. Cheers,” he laughed, holding up his cup.

“I’ll probably need it to get my stuff together tonight.”

“Do you have to leave?” JC asked. “There’s so much more we can show you.”

“I wish I didn’t. But I might be back soon looking for jobs.”

JC just smiled at the prospect of Allyson coming back and living in LA. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was willing to spend quite a bit on airfare just to go to the East Coast if she stayed in DC.


“So, thinking back over everything you did, what was your favorite thing about this trip?” Liz asked.

“Stuff like this,” Allyson answered quickly. “Just being able to hang out with my friend and my boyfriend.” She giggled and blushed as she said boyfriend. It was still so new, and her brain couldn’t quite comprehend that the word was being used to describe JC.

“Wow. I don’t think I expected that,” Liz said. “I thought for sure you would have said the birthday party.”

“Well the birthday party was fantastic, but the movie after most everyone had left is what I’ll cherish even more.”

They all smiled, and JC leaned over to kiss Allyson on the temple.

“I really hope you didn’t have syrup on your lips,” Allyson laughed as she touched her hairline, lightening the mood again.

“No syrup,” JC confirmed.

“But plenty of sugar,” Liz said with a laugh.


“What time is your flight?” JC asked as they were finishing up their meals.

“5, I think. I get in at like midnight Eastern.”

“Ouch. Well, let me know when you’re leaving, and could I stop by before you leave?”

“That’s fine by me,” Liz said. “We’ll have to leave by about 2:30.”

“I’ll be there at noon? Come by and leave so you still have time to do last-minute things?”

“That’ll be fine by me.”

“I’d like that,” Allyson said.

“Great! I will see you tomorrow then,” he said with a radiant smile.


“One of you text me when you get back, yeah?” JC asked.

As they walked into the house, Allyson pulled out her phone to text JC. Home. Thanks for the best surprise


A few minutes passed as JC made his way through the hilly roads to his house. About 10 minutes later, Allyson’s phone pinged. Nothing I’d rather have done tonight. See you tomorrow 

 

Allyson turned her focus to her suitcase, determined to fit everything that she came with back into the bag. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story