Liz and Allyson sat on the couch watching Liz’s DVD set of Gilmore Girls while they sipped mimosas. Just as Rory was about to head off to Yale, the doorbell rang. It was noon on the dot.

“Aren’t you going to get that?” Liz asked Allyson. “He’s not here to see me.”

Allyson just laughed as she stood up and walked toward the door.

“Hi,” she said softly as she opened the door.

“Hi,” he smiled back as he stepped through the doorway, placing a soft kiss on Allyson’s cheek.

Liz was in the process of turning off the TV as the couple entered the living room. “I’ve got some tidying up to do out in the garden. Y’all sit in here and talk. Allie, we need to leave here in two hours, OK?”

“Yes, mom,” she giggled.

Allyson and JC sat on the love seat, not saying anything for a few minutes as Allyson laid her head on JC’s shoulder. Then, Allyson broke the silence. “Is this crazy?”

“What?” JC asked.

“This.” Allyson sat up and looked at JC. “Trying to make this work on different sides of the country. Josh, I know you’re not going to leave California, and I wouldn’t want you to, and I don’t know if I’ll find a job here in LA.”

JC quietly shushed Allyson. “Let’s not worry about that now. I’m sure we can make it work. Our friendship has lasted us being on opposite sides of the country. Why should this be any different?”

“I’ve felt what it’s like to be with you, to be in the same city as you for more than just a few days. I’m afraid it won’t be the same.”

“I won’t lie, Allie, it’s been fantastic having you here and being able to hang out, have deep conversations without cell service or roommate interruptions, surprise you,” he smiled. “But I believe in what this is, and what we have.”

Allyson laid her head back down on his shoulder as JC wrapped his arms around her, interlacing his fingers and resting his hands on her hip.

“I wish I didn’t have to leave.”

“Me too, but I’m stoked to see where this leads. Until you figure out your next move, I’ll come to D.C., and maybe you’ll be back in California at some point.”

“Make use of this degree,” she laughed.

“I’m proud of you, honey. I’ve thought about taking some architecture or engineering classes, just part time, to work toward a degree of my own.”

“You’d be amazing at either.”

“We’ll see. You certainly inspire me,” he said, lowering his head to steal a kiss.


For the next two hours, they laid like that on the couch, talking about anything and everything, soaking up every minute they had with each other before Allyson had to leave.


So lost in each other, neither of them noticed when Liz wandered back into the living room. Smoothly as she could, Liz used her new quiet digital camera to snap a picture of the new couple.


Allyson placed her carry-on in the backseat of Liz’s car. “I’m going to do a quick scan of the house,” Liz said walking back into the house. “We’ll leave in 5 minutes.”

JC and Allyson, both standing beside the car, nodded in Liz’s direction.

“Come here,” JC said as he wrapped his arms around Allyson’s waist. “I’m so glad you came to visit. I don’t think I’ve had a more impactful week.”

“Even D.C. or New York?” Allyson smirked.

“OK, good impactful week. How’s that?” JC laughed. “Thank you for coming up to me in your coffee shop.”

“God, I was so awkward,” Allyson said looking down at the concrete driveway.

“If you hadn’t done exactly what you did, we wouldn’t be here.”

She smiled up at him and stood on her toes to meet JC’s lips with hers.

Without a second thought, JC leaned into the kiss, deepening it, knowing this would have to last both of them for a little while. He knew he would be craving the way her kisses made him feel. He squeezed her into him, being sure to not break the seal their lips had.

They were both breathing a little heavier as the kiss ended, regaining the breaths the other had stolen. “How am I supposed to leave that?” she laughed.

“Believe me, I wish we didn’t have to answer that. I love you, Allie.”

She smiled up at him, almost in shock by what he said. They had talked about love versus in love on the beach, but this felt different.

“I love you too, Josh.”

The two of them spent a few moments just staring into each other’s eyes, almost as if they were trying to freeze time or take a picture of the moment to keep forever in their minds.


Liz was at the door looking out, and waited as long as she could to give the new couple their moment together.

The sound of the door opening caught both Allyson and JC’s attention as they turned toward the sound.

“Almost ready?” Liz asked sympathetically.

“If I have to be,” Allyson sighed.

“I’ll always be a heartbeat away,” JC said softly, leaning his forehead against hers. “Always.”

 

Allyson reached up and cupped JC’s cheek, softly placing a kiss on his lips. “Always,” she repeated.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story