For the next few weeks, Allyson threw herself into wedding planning, their date set for March. They looked for venues in California, DC, New York and North Carolina. It might seem they would need a place for at least 1,000 people, but they wanted it to be safe, capping the guest list at 125 people and inviting only family and close friends.

They had three venues to tour in the LA area, but Allyson called it after the second tour. “This is it,” she beamed at JC, who was equally excited about what he saw.

“It’s perfect.”

The former theater, now wedding venue, was the fairytale place Allyson had been looking for, and it had a view that rivaled JC’s patio view.

Meeting with a representative for the venue, the couple tepidly told him their date, nervous that just over six months at this point would not be enough time to find an open date.

“March 22 at 6 p.m.?” he asked to confirm. They picked the date because it was after college spring breakers had left the area, and the weather is typically perfect.

“Yes. Is that available?” JC asked. We have a few alternates also, but that would be our ideal date.”

“It’s the last weekend we have available in March. You can have it from 6 to 11 that night.”

Allyson squeezed JC’s hand she had been holding. “It’s meant to be.”

“We’d like to book it,” JC said, once he saw the confirmation all over Allyson’s face.

With the deposit paid, catering services selected and bar package secured, Allyson breathed a sigh of relief as she focused on her dress and the cake.



The next week, the engagement pictures appeared in Us Weekly, but at that point, it had become old news. There was no scoop or provocative story to be had. JC smiled as he saw it. Ever since 1994, he had tried to find ways to fight against rumors, but it never crossed his mind to use social media to beat the tabloids at their own game. Going to People with their story had worked before and now he had a new quiver of arrows he could use.



Allyson tried on dress after dress until she found a lace, organza and tulle dress with a sweetheart neckline with stitched white floral and scroll embellishments throughout the bodice, spreading down across the entire skirt that flared out and stretched into an average-length train. The back came together a little further than midway down her back, and included the same embellishments from the front.

“This is it,” she muttered to herself as she let her hair fall across her shoulders in the dressing room, preparing to show the others.


“Damn!” Shannon nearly jumped from the couch.

“Honey, that’s beautiful,” Allyson’s mom said with a slight southern drawl.

“You look stunning,” her sister said in agreement.

“I feel good in this. I think this might be the one. It feels right.”

“Josh is going to fall in love with you all over again,” JC’s mom said, smiling.


Next, she looked at shoes, eventually deciding to wear a shorter heel that made her walk more secure, but still gave her the extra height she wanted. Then, she had some white converse shoes with “Mrs.” and “Chasez” written on the tops to put on at the reception.

Planning was going smoothly. The only thing they did not pick collaboratively was music, aside from their first dance – though that was not a difficult decision – and table decorations. Allyson left much of the music selection and decisions to JC, while JC stayed out of table decoration decisions. His one contribution was either above or below eye level, so no one was looking directly into centerpieces trying to talk to people across their table.


The flowers ordered, and the music lined up, they were nearing the point when it was just last-minute changes and adjustments. JC had lined up a series of live performers – all of whom were invited guests also – and a DJ who could handle the rest of the night.

 

 

As the countdown turned into a few weeks, both Allyson and JC tried to remain calm about what was about to happen.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story