A few days after talking to Allyson, JC got a call from his manager telling him they wanted to do a photoshoot along with the record to help promote it. JC sighed to himself. He had been enjoying some time off from the gym, but this meant that break would be short lived.

For the next two weeks, JC would be on a strict diet and in the gym at least once a day, five days a week. He was nowhere near out of shape. In fact, he felt as good as he did in 2004 when he was doing two club shows a night. But he needed to look in peak shape if he was going to have a photoshoot. For all he knew, he’d have to put on a clingy tank top again. Nowadays, the only place he was having his picture taken was on red carpets, at awards show parties, by the paparazzi and at family gatherings.


With his hands grasping 20-pound dumbbells, he did the last of his set of weighted lunges, being conscious the entire time of his form.

“Good. Now, let’s do some Russian twists,” his trainer said as JC set the dumbbells back onto the rack and walked over to grab a 15-pound weight plate. Positioning himself on the floor, balancing his body in a perfect V form, he began twisting back and forth. Even through his gray T-shirt, his abs were visibly working, engaging with each twist.

“One more. Good. Now, rest for three minutes, and we’ll hit arms.”

JC let his feet and his back fall onto the mat as he wiped sweat from his forehead. He was now in the second half of an hour-and-a-half work out. Today was the most intense of the week. The other sessions were an hour. The last half hour of these extended workouts, though, was a cool down, a treadmill jog or stationary bike ride and a short yoga session for flexibility.

JC was getting some water as his trainer walked back toward JC from the office, hollering, “OK! Ready for some flies?”

“Do I have a choice?” JC gave a shallow laugh as he put the top back on the bottle.

“I mean, you could quit on me, but I won’t like that, and I don’t think you would either.”

“No. Let’s do this, boss.”

As the playlist started up again, JC picked up a set of 25-pound dumbbells, bending over to get in position for a set of reverse flies. His face grimaced as he pulled his arms to his side with a slight bounce, his body bent at his hips.

“Good. One more set, just like that.”


“OK, that’s all the weight work we’re going to do today,” his trainer said after JC counted his last rep. “I want you to get on the bike and go 15 minutes at a quick pace. It’s not a race, but keep your heart rate elevated. It shouldn’t be what it was just now, but make sure you’re working. This is supposed to be an active cool down.”

JC nodded as he grabbed his water bottle, took another sip and continued walking to the bike. Straddling the stationary bike, he set the resistance level and began pedaling.

As he continued to pedal, he checked his phone quickly, seeing a text message from his manager. He was going to be wearing pink at the photoshoot. That’s fine, JC thought. He didn’t have an issue with wearing bright colors. Shoot, he’d worn salmon-colored snakeskin pants and a fur-lined jacket to an awards show. He looked and felt good in it, but it, admittedly, was maybe not the best fashion choice he ever made.

After finishing the workout, JC hopped in one of the gym’s private showers and freshened up before heading over to the studio to meet with Max Martin, who he was producing the charity album with. After a couple hours, they had divvied up all the parts and scheduled everyone to be in the New York studio later in the week.


JC was packing everything he would need for a couple weeks, spending a week-and-a-half in New York and another three days in D.C. With two days before he was scheduled to leave, he called his manager to confirm the flights.

Grabbing his phone off the nightstand, he held down the 4 button and the phone began ringing. “Hey, you do have me getting in Wednesday to LaGuardia, and then leaving two weeks later from Reagan, right?” … “I’m just making sure. I want to make sure I have some solid time in D.C. I promised a friend I’d spend time there while on the East Coast.” … “Does it matter who?” … “OK, see you Wednesday. 9 a.m., got it.” 


Sitting in the window seat with his hat down over his eyes, JC had a relatively uneventful travel experience from LAX to Newark. That is until he got to the East Coast. Word had gotten out that he not only was helping produce the record, but that he would be singing on it also, so everyone was wanting to know who else was part of the project. The label was keeping the entire list of artists a secret to help build anticipation. And it was working. The paparazzi shouted: ‘Who are you excited to work with?’ ‘Will this reunite you with Justin?’ ‘When’s the next JC album coming out?’ ‘What is the song?’

“I’m excited about the record. We’ve got some great artists lined up that I’m excited and fortunate to get to work with. The only thing I can tell y’all is we’ll be doing an arrangement of the great Stevie Wonder’s ‘Sir Duke.’ I think people will really dig it,” he told the group of hungry TV and magazine folks who were buzzing as they followed him through the terminal with their cameras and microphones in his face.

A sense of relief washed over him when he saw the black Town Car waiting for him. He climbed in seeing Max Martin already inside.

“Miss this?” he asked as JC took a seat.

“No, can’t say I miss that part of it,” he laughed, giving a final wave to the small mob outside his window as the car drove away.


About 30 minutes later, they were pulling into the studio parking lot. It was a nondescript building, which meant no one knew to be looking there.

Together, Max and JC went over everyone’s parts and developed their game plan for the next week of studio sessions.

One by one, each artist took their turn at the microphone as they spent the first few days recording solos.


Carrie Underwood, Beyoncé, John Legend, Pat Monahan, Ne-Yo, Tim McGraw, Fergie and JC each took their turns in the smaller studio until everyone was happy with their performances. Then, all eight moved into the larger recording space where eight microphones were set up in a circle. They were going to run the song all the way through together at least once, just so they had the take.


“Hey, man. Sorry I couldn’t do the project. How’s it going?” a familiar voice asked over the phone during one of the session’s few extended breaks.

“What’s up, J. Yeah, it’s good here. Everyone sounds great. Wish you could’ve been on the record or at least helped produce, but I think you’ll be proud of it. How’s the film?”

“It’s been a long few days, but I love this film, man. You’re really gonna enjoy it, I think, once we finish it.”

“I’m excited, man. Hey, I’ve got to run back in. We’re trying to finish any pick-ups tonight. I’ll give you a sample tomorrow.”

“Sounds good, man. Talk to you later.”

“Later. Enjoy The Open Road.”

Justin just laughed at JC’s ability to throw the title of the movie project into the conversation.


“Sooo when does JC get in? Shannon questioned Allyson.

Allyson just rolled her eyes. “Sunday night after dinner.” It was only a few more days away.

“And where’s he staying?”

“Oh my God, woman!” Allyson joked. “For the last time, he’s staying at an undisclosed hotel – and not at my place.” Allyson knew his hotel, but she was not about to tell Shannon.

With a sigh, Shannon let it go as a couple customers walked in.


How’s my favorite barista? JC texted Thursday night. They’d finished their last day in the studio with everyone, and now it was just he and Max working with the song.

Allyson just smiled. She still couldn’t believe JC freaking Chasez was going to make a special trip to D.C. to see her. How had she gotten so lucky?

It’s been dead all day. :/  she sent.

Damn. Sorry.

Don’t be. After yesterday, I’ll take a light day.

What happened yesterday? Sorry, didn’t get to check in much.

You’re doing more important stuff. You have Queen Bey there. But tour group after tour group.

Ouch. And for the record, you’re just as important.

Allyson blushed as she read his last text. She had no idea over text to know if he was flirting or just being his typical nice guy. The dynamic was not clear cut. She always dreamed of dating JC – who didn’t? – but she wasn’t going to push her luck. It didn’t make her any less curious, though.

Thanks :) she sent back. Then, followed up with, How’d last studio day go?

Good. Everyone sounded great. Stevie likes it so far.

That’s all you need.

Ha yeah. Well ttyl. Photos tomorrow.

Ttyl

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story