"Who's that?" Joey asked Chris, standing near the grill  out back by the pool. Chris was manning the giant grill, complete with the " Kiss the cook" apron and everything. Looking across the pool at the girl that was laughing and talking to Karly that he did not recognize.

 

 " That's. Kendra.  Karly's friend. She has known her for a few years now. Her kid plays hockey for the Preds travel league and Ken is a big part of the charity organization that the Preds support. That's how they met."

 

"Oh." Joey said, sitting down on one of the deck chairs, and watching her from across the pool.

Chris watched him watch Kendra from afar. flipping the burgers over to the other side and closing the lid on the grill. He got a beer from the mini fridge , and joined Joey on the patio.

"Joseph. Hands off." Chris warned.

Joey turned and looked at his friend and said ," Shut up fucktard."

" She is definitely not your type, bro."

Joey was starting to grow annoyed with Chris. " And that would be?" He huffed, taking a long drag off his beer.

Chris pinpointed at her with his beer bottle and said," Not her."

 

"Awful protective of this girl. "

" She is a good friend." He said, watching as Nash and Lennon cannon balled into the pool.

" And I'm not, bro?"  Joey, now clearly annoyed by the conversation, crossed his arms over his chest in a huff.

 " I never said that."  Chris stated, back peddling.

" She has been through a lot in the last few years. I just don't want to see her get hurt again"

" And you think I'm capable of that? Intentionally hurting someone I don't even know? That's  

just fucking fabulous."

 

" You are mad at me. You are the one with a girlfriend. What's is been now? Five years?"  Chris retorted.

"

Now was as good a time as any to tell him. " Not anymore."

Chris turned and looked back at him. He was serious. He could see it in his eyes.

"Since when?"

" Three of four months now."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Never came up."  Joey stated finishing off the rest of his beer and getting up to get another from the mini fridge.

He took the beer, and sat back down and said. " It was a long time coming, I guess. She was tired of my schedule. Didn't like that what time I have off, Intry to spend a lot with the girls. That I have a relationship with my ex wife. That kind of bullshit. She wanted me to move to LA . I told her I wasn't interested.  She flipped the fuck out, and it all kinda just went to shit from there."

 

" Your relationship with the girls should be your main priority. Kelly, I don't know so much about.  About. " Chris said.

" It's not like that. Kelly, has a great guy. And she is happy. Izzy never got that. Kel and I are good friends. She was always jealous. I couldn't take it anymore, so I told her I was done. And that was it. The next day she packed up her shit and she was gone back to La La Land."

 

" So officially single again."

" Don't forget divorced and single.. yeenhaw." Joey said , raising his beer in salute, and taking another long drag.

" Chris? Karly was wondering if the burgers are done yet. Everything else is ready to go."

 A female voice asked from behind them. Joey looked up to fine Kendra standing there,and damn near choked on his beer. Chris got up from the chair and  went over to the grill to check the burgers. " Be nice." He mouthed .

That left Joey there alone to stare at Kendra. She was pretty, in a girl next door kinda way. Long dark hair that hung to her shoulders, and soft brown eyes. She was dressed in a long flown, floral maxi dress, barefoot.

" You must be Joey. I'm Kendra. You can call me Kenny." she reached out her hand to him.

Henleaned twoard her, and took her hand in his , shaking it. Grinning from ear to ear , like a goofball.

Chris appeared back with a plate of hot dogs and burgers. " Soups on guys"

karly came out the back door of the house onto the deck and said, " Come on guys, let's eat."

"Never have to tell me twice." Joey said, his eyes deadlocked on Kenny's. " After you."

" Thanks." Kendra smiled at him, and  they joined everyone else at the table to freast on the Hot dogs and burgers.

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story