Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy New Year 2022!

Justin’s response to her revelation was not AT ALL what she’d expected.  It was what she’d secretly hoped for, but not what she’d expected.  She’d expected that he’d go running in the other direction.  Truthfully, she hadn’t planned to tell him quite this soon but now that she had she was glad it was out in the open.  She was terrible at keeping secrets and of the things she’d accomplished in her life, Gabby was the one thing Chloe was most proud of.

Gabby was an AMAZING little girl! She was sweet, caring, funny, brave and incredibly smart and any guy Chloe dated would have to be accepting of Gabby.  It was just that simple.

Chloe’s eyes were wide as she looked back at Justin.  His face was still inches from hers and his smile still present.

“It’s not?!” Chloe whispered.

She was still trying to convince herself that she wasn’t imagining his reply.

Justin smiled more and shook his head.

“Tell me about her.” He wrote.

Chloe blushed.  “Well, she’s five…almost six.  She’s in Kindergarten.  She loves Ariel and the Hulk.  Science is her favorite subject and her favorite food is Crab legs.”

Justin grinned as he wrote.  “I like her already.”

Chloe nodded but didn’t know what to say next.  Justin took that as his cue.  He touched Chloe’s face again, this time lifting her chin with his hand so that she was looking directly into his eyes.

“I get it.  No rush.  I want to see where this goes between us, but just know, when you’re ready, I’d love to meet her.” He whispered softly.

Chloe cracked a smile.  “Thank you.”

He was making her melt.  She’d put up a wall, to protect herself, to protect Gabby, and here he was doing a pretty amazing job of putting cracks in it, and on the first date no less.

His blue eyes were still locked on hers.  His face was still close and she could feel his warm breath on her.  Those eyes and the smell of him, the closeness of him, was drawing her in.  She couldn’t bring herself to turn away. 

Justin bit his bottom lip and tried to fight his instincts.  He didn’t want to come on too strong.  He wanted to go slow, take his time, and move at her pace but there was just something about her that was mesmerizing.  He wanted to kiss her again.

Chloe took a breath.  She could feel the tension between them.  The room was quiet.  So quiet that she could hear her own heart pounding in her chest.  She didn’t know why she was so nervous, maybe because she hadn’t done this in a really long time.  Or, maybe it was because of the mental and emotional scars that were still healing.   Regardless of the reason, she was holding back.

For a brief moment Chloe averted her gaze.  When she looked at Justin again his blue eyes were on fire.  It made her breath catch in her throat and in the next moment a shockwave shot down her spine.  Then, before she had the chance to even think about what she was doing Chloe had closed the gap between them.  Her mouth closed over his as her hands went around his neck and her fingers began to play with the hair at the nape of his neck.

Justin moaned softly then wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.  In fact, she was now practically in his lap and he deepened the kiss immediately, gently applying pressure with his lips, parting hers slightly and then sliding his tongue into her mouth with ease. 

His lips were soft and the whiskers on his face made her cheeks tingle as they rubbed against her skin.  His hands were wrapped tightly around her waist, pulling her into him as much as their bodies would allow.  They kissed rather intently for a long time and when they finally pulled away, they were both gasping for air.

“Damn!” Justin whispered with a grin.

Chloe blushed.  “I’m sorry…I don’t know what came over me.”

Justin grinned more and then reached out and lifted her chin again.  “Don’t be.  I liked it.”

Chloe blushed more if possible.  “Me too.”

Justin took that as his cue.  He pressed his lips against hers and gently pushed her back against the couch before stretching himself out partially on top of her.  Chloe sucked in a breath as his hands cradled her face.  She could feel every part of his body pressed against hers.  It was making her crazy and DAMN was he a good kisser.  Better than Eddy.  Eddy’s kisses were always sloppy and a bit overly aggressive.  Justin wasn’t like that.  His kisses were slow, sensual and made every synapse in her body tingle with excitement and anticipation. 

As far as first dates went, it was the best she’d ever had. 

When she returned home that night, or early the next morning Adam was waiting up for her. 

He painted a very interesting picture, sitting in the kitchen dressed in flannel pajama bottoms and a muscle shirt, sipping on a cup of tea and pouring over case files. 

“You waited up for me?” Chloe giggled as she set her bag down the table.

“No. I’m working.” Adam said, smothering a grin.

Chloe snorted.  “Likely story.  I know you.  I know you waited up because you wanted to hear how the date went.”

Adam laughed.  “Well, how did it go?”

Chloe smiled and tried very hard not to blush.  It didn’t work.

Adam just grinned and shook his head.  “That good, huh?”

“He’s …umm…yeah…”

Adam’s eyes widened.

“You did NOT!” Adam exclaimed.

Chloe giggled.  “No! We didn’t.”

Adam grinned.  “I mean, not that I would blame you one bit if you had.”

Chloe made a face.  “Because you wouldn’t have?!”

Adam laughed.  “Oh no, I totally would have.  No doubt about it, but you’re better than me, at least in that regard.”

Chloe blushed again.

Adam’s smile softened.  He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen Chloe blush quite like this. 

“Ok, really? How did it go? Are you going to go out with him again?”

Chloe bit her lip.  “It was…not at all what I expected!  He’s a damn good kisser that’s for certain, and yes, we are planning to go out again.”

Kevin grinned.  “Look at my little sister all grown up and dating Justin Timberlake.  I’m so proud!”

“How was Gabby?” Chloe asked, changing the subject briefly.

Adam sighed.  He knew this wasn’t going to go over well.

“She was fine.  We went for McDonald’s.”

Immediately, Chloe knew something was up.  It was in his tone and what he hadn’t said.

“What happened?”

Adam sighed again and set his cup down.

“She took a shower and got ready for bed, even put on her jammies all by herself.  I combed her hair and read her a book.  She went down no trouble.”

“But…”Chloe urged.

“She woke up about an hour ago.  She woke up crying and she’d wet the bed.”

Chloe sighed heavily as she slumped down onto the stool beside him. 

“Another nightmare?”

Adam nodded.  “I think so.”

Chloe buried her face in her hands.  She wanted to scream.  The nightmares and bed wetting were not a new occurrence.  However, this was the first time in quite a while.  Ever since Gabby had started school these occurrences were fewer and farther between but the fact that they were still happening bothered Chloe.

Chloe knew why it was happening. She just didn’t know how to stop it.  Sighing heavily, Chloe pulled her face from her hands and looked over at her brother. 

“I’m going to reach out to the school counselor.  Maybe she can help or at least give me a referral.”  Chloe explained.

Adam nodded.  “Sounds like a good idea.”

Chloe cracked a tiny smile.  “In the meantime, maybe I should talk to her.  We are overdue for a “Gabby and Mommy” day.”

Adam smiled.  “She would love that. Now, my next question, when does Gabby’s Mommy get a “Mommy day”?”

Chloe sighed.  “I didn’t get a “Mommy day” when I was married, what makes you think I would get one now that I’m a single, working mom. ”

Adam gave her a look.  “When is your next day off?”

Chloe scrunched up her face in thought.  “Tuesday.”

Adam grinned.  “Perfect.  Gabby will be in school.  Sleep in, go get yourself some coffee, go shopping or go get your hair done.”

“What’s wrong with my hair?” Chloe asked making a face as she gently tugged at a curl.

Adam laughed.  “Nothing.  I’m just saying you should pamper yourself, enjoy the day.  I’d even give JT a call.”

“What about taking Gabby to school and picking her up?” Chloe reasoned.

Adam smiled.  “I can do that.  I have court on Tuesday.  I can take her on my way.  We can even stop and get donuts and hot chocolate.  I’ll pick her up too.  We’ll get sushi for dinner.”

Chloe smiled.  Gabby was the only five-year-old she knew that loved sushi.  A trait she’d obviously inherited from her uncle.

“Ok.”

“Now, you should get some sleep.  You’re gonna need all the energy you can muster for your Gabby & Mommy day tomorrow.”

Chloe nodded, hugged her brother then started down the hall to her bedroom. 

The next morning Chloe was up surprisingly early.  It was a Saturday, so there was no rush to get Gabby to school before work.  Chloe got up, showered, got dressed and headed to the kitchen to make coffee all before anyone else was out of bed.  About halfway through her cup of coffee Chloe heard the pitter patter of little feet as they scuffled down the hall.  Gabby was up.

“Mommy!” Gabby squealed happily as she ran the last few feet into the kitchen.

“Hey there Gabby bug! Did you sleep well?” Chloe asked wrapping her daughter in a hug.

Gabby buried her face in her mother’s shirt and shook her head.

“I had a nightmare…and I wet the bed.” Gabby mumbled.

Chloe nodded then pulled away a bit, kneeled to her daughter’s level and looked into her Hazel eyes. 

“I heard.  Do you want to talk about it?” Chloe asked calmly.

Gabby shook her head. 

Chloe nodded and pulled her daughter into another hug.

“Ok.  I won’t force you to talk about it if you’re not ready, but if you change your mind and you want to talk to Mommy about it you just let me know.  In the meantime, why don’t you go get dressed and then we can go out for breakfast.”

Gabby’s eyes widened.  “Out for breakfast?”

Chloe smiled and nodded.  “Yup!  Wherever you want to go.  Afterward we can go to the movies or the park or whatever you want to do.”

“Whatever I want to do?” Gabby asked, her smile a mile wide.

“Yup.  Whatever you want.  Today it’s Gabby and Mommy Day.”

“Can we go to FAO Schwarz and the Disney Store?” Gabby asked hopefully.

Chloe smiled.  “Sure.”

Gabby was beaming.  “Really?!”

Chloe nodded and smiled more.  “If that’s where you want to go after breakfast.”

Ten minutes later Chloe and Gabby were headed out for breakfast at a nearby café.  This particular café was known for their gourmet coffee and baked goods.  The display case was filled with some of the most decadent looking pastries Chloe had ever seen.

“May I get a chocolate chip muffin?” Gabby asked.

Chloe grinned and nodded.  “Sure.  Do you want anything else?”

Gabby screwed her face up in thought then looked up at the chalkboard menu, hanging on the wall above.  Chloe could tell she was trying to sound out the words on the board.  She could see Gabby’s furrowed brow and the way she appeared to be mouthing the words.

“F-r-e-s-h” Gabby whispered.

After several moments Gabby turned to her mother.

“Do you want some help?” Chloe asked smiling.

“Yes please.” Gabby replied.

“You can have fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, or yogurt with granola.”

“Fresh fruit, please.”

“And hot chocolate?”

“Yes. Please.” Gabby replied.

Another ten minutes later they were seated in the corner of the café.  Chloe was eating a small plate of homemade eggs benedict while Gabby was chowing down on a chocolate chip muffin and a bowl of fruit.

“Slow down Bug, you’re going to give yourself a tummy ache.” Chloe said trying not to laugh.

The way Gabby was attacking her muffin with such veracity was making Chloe giggle. 

“Sorry.” Gabby mumbled between bites.

Chloe smiled wistfully.  Gabby had been through so much in the past year.  Things that no five-year old should have to face.  All Chloe wanted was for Gabby to be happy, even if it meant sacrificing her own happiness.  Gabby deserved that much, if not more, but Chloe was still hoping it wouldn’t come to that.  However, if things were going to continue between her and Justin then she needed to be honest with everyone, and everyone included Gabby.

Yes, she and Justin had only been on one date but there would be no 2nd date if she felt like Gabby was uncomfortable or felt threatened by the idea of someone new, especially if that someone was male.

“How’s that muffin?” Chloe asked grinning.

“Delicious!” Gabby said licking her lips.

“Glad to hear it.” Chloe giggled.

“Thank you, Mommy.” Gabby replied, her mouth full of chocolate.

“You’re welcome.”

There was a brief pause.  Chloe took a breath.  This was not going to be an easy conversation.

“So..umm…Gabby, I wanted to talk to you about something.” Chloe stammered.

“Ok.” Gabby replied.

“Well…umm…how would you feel if Mommy made a new friend? ” Chloe asked cautiously.

“Friends are good.  You should have friends, Mommy.” Gabby answered.

“Thanks sweetie.  I think so too.”

Gabby smiled up at her.  “Is your new friend nice?”

Chloe blushed.  “He is.”

Gabby’s eyes widened.  “Your new friend is a boy?”

Chloe nodded.  “Yes, his name is Justin.”

“Does Justin scream and throw things like Daddy did?”

Chloe felt her resolve start to crack.  Such a simple, honest question but one that Chloe knew was important to Gabby and her sense of security.

Chloe bit her lip and shook her head fervently.  “No, no sweetie, he sure doesn’t, and if he ever did, he wouldn’t be Mommy’s friend anymore.”

Gabby looked up at her mother briefly.  Her Hazel eyes were wide.  She was trying to determine if Chloe was being truthful.  After several rather intense, quiet moments Gabby opened her mouth to speak again.

“Does he like kids?” Gabby continued.

Apparently, Gabby had determined that her mother’s word was good enough.

Chloe smiled.  “I think so.”

Gabby took a bite of fruit before nodding.  “If he’s nice to you and doesn’t scream or throw things then I’m ok with Justin being your friend.”

“You’re sure?” Chloe replied cautiously.

Gabby nodded.  “I’m sure.  What does he do?”

Chloe blushed.  “Umm…well…he does a lot of things but he’s known for being a singer and an actor.”

“What’s an actor?” Gabby asked.

Chloe smiled.  “An actor is someone who is in movies.  Like Beauty and the Beast, the girl who played Belle is an actress.  Her name is Emma Watson.”

Gabby nodded as she chewed then swallowed before speaking.  “Yeah.  She looks like Hermoine from Harry Potter.”

Chloe smiled.  “That’s because she is Hermoine from Harry Potter.”

Gabby’s eyes widened.  Chloe could tell that Gabby was trying to digest this new information. 

“Is he handsome?” Gabby blurted out.

“Is who handsome?” Chloe asked confused.

Gabby had just completely changed gears.  However, she was only five, so it wasn’t a total surprise.

“Your new friend, Justin.  Is he handsome?” Gabby replied.

Chloe blushed.  “Umm…yes…I think he’s very handsome.”

“Is he more handsome than Daddy?” Gabby asked seriously.

Chloe took a deep breath.  She was going to have to choose her words carefully or this conversation had the potential to go very badly.

“Oh, Gabby Bug! I want you to listen to Mommy very carefully. On the outside, your Daddy is a very handsome man, but on the inside your Daddy is very sick.  His sickness makes him do things that are ugly and hurtful like scream and throw things and make you and Mommy cry.   I will always, always care about your Daddy but until your Daddy gets help and stops doing those things, I am not going to let him be around you.”

Without saying a word, Gabby put her fork down, climbed out of her chair, walked around her chair and crawled up into Chloe’s lap. 

“That’s what my nightmare was about. I had a nightmare about Daddy throwing the TV remote.” Gabby confessed.

Chloe hugged her daughter tightly.

“I know sweetie. I know, but I promise you, that’s never going to happen again.  You are safe.  I will always keep you safe.”

Gabby nodded.  “Can we go to the Disney store now?”

Chloe cracked a smile.  “Are you full?”

Gabby nodded.

“Ok.  Let’s go.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story