„I can’t believe you brought Champagne in here.“


„Are you really complaining about me bringing alcohol? What happened to the woman I used to know after that surgery?“ 


„Who says I’m complaining?“


„So, you want me to fill up the paper cups?“ 


„Of course! It’s almost midnight!“



Lucy was lying in her hospital bed after getting her appendix removed the prior day. She and her best friend Eve should have travelled to Oahu at the turn of the year. But unfortunately things came different. As they needed to cancel their plans due to Lucy’s sudden appendicitis, Eve was joining her in the clinic to welcome 2022. 


„Happy new year, bestie!!!“ Eve cheered when it turned 12 AM.


„Happy new year, bestie!!!“ Lucy replied. 


Then they clinked and took big sips.


Suddenly a grumpy nurse entered the room. Eve immediately let the Champagne disappear in her bag, giving her an innocent look.


„You really think I’m that dump?“ The nurse said. 


„Hm?“ Eve replied, smiling shyly. 


„When we met before in the hallway I knew immediately what is going on by the guilty look in your eyes. You should really work on your poker face, missy.“ The nurse explained.


„Hey, you want some Champagne as well, Olga?“ Lucy asked, grinning cheeky. 


„Hell, yes. That’s why I came.“ Olga replied. 


Eve sighed relieved and grabbed the bottle and another paper cup out of her bag. 


„Cheers!“ The women toasted and enjoyed the Champagne. 



„Okay, girls.“ Olga said, after they finished the bottle. „I really need to kick you out, Eve. We just allow having visitors till half past twelve tonight.“


„Oh no! Are you serious?“ She complained.


„Unfortunately. This is not negotiable.“ Olga said. 


Eve pouted but realized fast, that there was no chance to change Olga’s mind. Then she hugged Lucy tightly and said goodbye. 



Eve waited in the hospital lobby for her Uber to arrive. As the car arrived, she hurried outside.


„Happy New Year! Where can I bring you?“ The friendly driver asked. 


Eve felt frustrated. The night was still young but she was all alone in L.A. downtown.


„Hey, ummm… do you know a good bar? I just realized I’m not ready going home that early.“ Eve answered. 


„Ya, sure. There’s a great cocktail bar few blocks from here.“


„Sounds perfect. Let’s go for it.“



„Saucelito.“ Eve read the name from the bar, before she went in. 


It was well-frequented, but on a night like this it wasn’t surprising. People were enjoying themselves, sitting with their cocktails at their tables or dancing at the small dance floor next to the DJ, who was playing some Latin American music. 


Eve managed pushing herself through the crowd and found a free seat at the bar. Wearing destroyed skinny jeans, a random white v-neck shirt and white sneakers, she wasn’t dressed for a night out, but she didn’t bother much. Her long blond hair was put together in a loose ponytail. Her make up was plain. She underlined her big ice-blue eyes with some mascara and wore peach colored lipstick. With some light foundation she tried to cover up her freckles, which she definitely didn’t like, although people used to tell her they made her look cute. 


The bartender immediately noticed her and handed her the drinks menu. She smiled and took the card, studying the strange cocktail names. 


„Hm.“ She muttered to herself after a while, not knowing what to choose. 


„Can I make a suggestion?“ She suddenly heard a male voice saying. 


It was a very unique voice, sounding smooth and soothing.


Eve looked up to the man sitting at the bar next to her. She smiled at him and he immediately responded. Her bright smile was contagious. She heard that a lot. 


His incredible deep blue eyes caught her attention, although they were hidden behind black framed glasses. He was definitely several years older than her. His dark hair was turning grey. It was long, curled and way too scruffy. But this was Los Angeles. Eve wouldn’t be surprised, if he styled them this way on purpose. He was wearing a black t-shirt, black jeans and multicolored sneakers. She wondered why. But again, this was L.A. and she was definitely someone who didn’t know much about the latest fashion trends. 


„Yes, sure, go ahead.“ Eve encouraged him. 


„I highly recommend Maria Knows Better.“ He said. 


„Maria Knows Better?“ She repeated, giving him another charming smile. 


„It’s a wild berry fruit punch with rum. Definitely my favorite.“ He continued talking, pointing at his half full glass. 


„Sounds great. Thank you.“ She replied and ordered the same cocktail.


„Why they called it Maria Knows Better? What do you think?“ She asked next to engaged him into further conversation.


„Well, the bar owner Pablo was working on a new cocktail one day and let his wife taste his first creation. But she was disgusted. Then she started intervening and telling him how to improve his work. He was terribly annoyed, but in the end he listened to her advice. One night he asked some guests to taste it and they were completely amazed. That’s when Pablo decided calling his cocktail this way. It’s a homage to his annoying wife.“


„Is that true?“ Eve asked skeptically.


„Yes, it is. Unfortunately Pablo isn’t here tonight to confirm that story.“


„So, you’re here frequently, hm?“ 


„Ehm, ya. If I feel like having a good cocktail that’s my favorite place.“ 


Eve smiled again. That guy was easy to talk to. She was wondering why he was alone in that bar on New Year’s Eve and just realized, he might ask himself the same question about her.


The bartender served her cocktail in the same moment. Eve took a sip.


„Oh wow! This is really good!“ She said and took another big sip. 


„You’re welcome.“ The guy replied, smiling.  


„Hey… ummm… I’m Eve, by the way.“ She introduced herself, smiling back. 


„Josh.“ He replied.


„How come you’re here tonight, Josh?“ 


„Oh well, I was on my back home from the airport and then realized, there was plenty time left for a good drink before going home.“ Josh explained. 


„Where have you been?“ 


„I visited my parents during the holidays.“


„Returning home on New Year’s Eve seems unusual.“


„That’s right. But they planned spending the end of the year in Aruba. As they left in the evening there was no reason for me staying any longer. So, here I am.“


„But you could have joined them.“


Josh scoffed. 


„No, that’s a little too much for my nerves. One week at home was quite enough.“ 


Eve giggled. She couldn’t be with her parents at one place for a whole week.


„I feel you.“ She said. 


„And what about you?“ Josh asked next.


„Me?“


„How did you find that place?“


„Oh, my friend Lucy and I wanted to spend few days together in Hawaii, but unfortunately she got appendicitis and needed surgery. That’s why I visited her in the hospital tonight, but they kicked me out after midnight. So, I looked for a place to get a drink and here I am.“ Eve explained. 


„I’m sorry for your friend.“ Josh said.


„You’re cute saying that. But don’t worry. She just drank a lot of Champagne. Mixed with her painkillers she’s on a great trip right now. I’m kind of jealous.“ Eve joked.


Josh chuckled and made Eve smile as well. 


„Well, this here is not Hawaii but at least they have delicious cocktails.“ He continued talking. 


„Oh… you’re the guy who’s glass is always half full, hm?“ She teased.


„Ya, definitely.“ 


„Healthy attitude, Josh.“ 



Josh was surprised about himself. He didn’t know why he started talking to that girl, but somehow he immediately felt the urge to get to know her, as soon as he noticed her. Definitely she was not his usual type. He stopped dating blonds in his twenties, as he made some negative experiences with some of those. Of course this wasn’t the main reason why his preferences changed over the years. But still, he couldn’t remember when a woman like her caught his attention for the last time. 


He assumed she was thirty-something. This was a dangerous age. Women in their thirties used to recognize him. But Eve definitely didn’t act like she had any idea who she was talking to. 


He liked her delicate face with her big blue eyes and her irresistible smile. Definitely she was pretty, but she made the impression as she didn’t care about that too much. 


Josh emptied his glass and ordered another Maria Knows Better. He didn’t plan having a further drink but he enjoyed Eve’s company and hoped she would stay a little longer as well. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story