Josh woke up next morning, lying on his left side and holding Eve close. She was cuddled up with her face into his chest, having one arm around him as well. He asked himself how she was able breathing this way. Carefully he started stroking her hair. It was their first night they spent together as a couple and it felt damn good waking up with her in his arm. 


Slowly Eve raised her head and smiled into his face. 


„Hi…“


„Hi…“


„Did you sleep good?“ She wanted to know.


„I slept like a baby. The soft mattress in my guest room was killing me in the last few nights. Your bed is much more comfortable.“


„Did you really just said my bed made you sleep good?“ She teased. 


He smiled and kissed her forehead softly. 


„Please excuse the misunderstanding. Of course it was you who made me sleep good.“ 


„Oh please, I’m not buying it.“ She continued teasing. 


„The struggle with my mattress is real, to be honest. I hate that guest bed.“


„Are you trying to make me invite you to sleep here as long as your bedroom isn’t finished?“


„Yes.“ He replied cheeky. 


Eve raised herself a little to kiss his lips softy. 


„You can stay here anytime you want and as long as you want. There’s some free room in my closet, if you want to bring some clothes.“ 


„Really?“


„Really.“ 


„That sounds like things just became a little more serious…“


„Is this scaring you?“


„Not at all.“



While Josh was taking a shower, Eve put on her bathrobe to make coffee. Lucy was having a quick breakfast before leaving the house. 


„I thought we gonna have breakfast together this morning.“ Eve said, entering the kitchen. 


„You slept too long. I need to leave in few minutes.“


„Hey ehm… are you okay, if Josh sleeps here for a while until his bedroom is finished?“


„Does it mean we have a new roommate?“


„Is that a problem?“


„Of course not, Eve. Don’t worry about it.“


„Thank you.“


„So…?“


„So?“


„Did he returned the favor?“ Lucy asked cheeky.


„Oh yes, he did…“ Eve answered, smiling all over her face. 


„Okay, stop making me jealous.“ 


Josh came out of Eve’s bedroom in the same moment, joining the girls in the kitchen. 


„Good morning, Lucy.“ He said and smiled.


„Good morning, roommate.“ She replied. 


„Are you okay with me being your roommate?“ He asked carefully.


„Yes. And I’m cooking for you tonight. It’s time for us to get to know each other, don’t you think?“


„Absolutely.“ Josh replied and smiled. 



Lucy said goodbye short time later and left for work. Eve didn’t feel like working today. She wished she could return into bed with Josh and continue doing what they did almost the whole night. But unfortunately this was not an option.


„So, what’s on your schedule today?“ Josh wanted to know, while Eve was making some sandwiches. 


„I’m gonna sew your curtains and pillow cases.“


Josh looked at her in disbelief.


„You gonna sew them by yourself?“


„Yes. I’m storing beautiful fabrics in the basement which I bought a while ago when I visited a craft fair in San Fransisco. Some of them fit perfectly in your color concept.“


„I’m surprised you wanna do this on your own. Is that service always included or are you doing that just for me?“


„I love doing those things on my own so… I’m sorry, hon… but you’re are not an exception.“


„Still, I feel honored having something in my house which you made.“


„You’re cute saying that.“



Josh was busy the whole morning in his studio and had a meeting with new clients downtown in the afternoon.


Eve brought her sewing machine and spent the day at his patio with sewing and supervising the workmen. 


When the drywall builder finished his work with Josh’s new walk-in closet, the flooring installer started his work in the bedroom. The carpenter was preparing new shelves and cabinets for the closet. The new kitchen cupboards were finished but the new countertops weren’t replaced, yet. The wooded floor in the living area was ready as well as the paintwork.


Eve was satisfied with the work progress and hoped the renovation would be finished by the end of the week. Unfortunately Josh’s new furniture wasn’t shipped, yet. 



When Josh returned home, the workmen already finished their work for today. Eve was also finishing her sewing and was very satisfied with the results. 


„Hey, cupcake.“ Josh said cheeky, entering the patio. 


She looked at him and smiled all over her face.


„Cupcake?“ 


„Ya… I just realized it perfectly fits calling you that.“


„Why?“


„Because you’re tiny and sweet. And it reminds me of what happened after our first night.“ He teased.


She shook her head, still smiling. Josh came closer, cupped her face and kissed her gently. 


„Are you ready for dinner with our roommate?“ He asked.


„Yes. But first, tell me what you think.“ She replied, showing him her work. 


„I am deeply impressed you can do those things. It looks really good.“ 


„Really?“


„Yes, my Love. Thank you for making that effort.“


Eve smiled and kissed him once again. 


„Okay. Let’s go. I’m starving.“


„Is Lucy a good cook?“


„Ehm… not really. But she makes fantastic Polish ravioli. We can just hope and pray that’s what she planned for tonight.“ Eve joked.



When they arrived at Eve’s place, Lucy was a little stressed in the kitchen. She wasn’t cooking often and created a big chaos all around her. 


„Thank god.“ Eve said relieved. 


„Thank god, what?“ Lucy asked, when they entered the kitchen. 


„You’re making ravioli.“


„Pierogi, Eve! They are called pierogi!“ 


„Pierogi.“ Josh repeated, trying to pronounce it the right way. 


„You’re so cute.“ Eve said and kissed him.


„Why that?“


„You saying a Polish word with your American accent is just brutally cute.“


„Actually it’s hurting my ears. But I know you’re in love, so… just let him believe he’s cute.“ Lucy teased. 


„Don’t listen to her. You’re really cute.“ Eve said. 


„She’s mean.“ Josh complained. 


„Polish people are mean in general. That’s a very unhappy nation.“ Eve teased. 


„That's not true, you German brat!“ Lucy complained. 


„See… that’s genetic. She’s a hopeless case.“ 


„You better set the table and stop talking now.“ Lucy intervened.


Josh helped Eve with the table and Lucy served dinner short time later. 


„I like your pierogi, Lucy. You made a great job with this.“ Josh complimented her.


„Thank you, roomie.“ 



Eve enjoyed Lucy’s food as well. When they finished everybody helped tidying up the mess which Lucy left in the kitchen. Then they opened a bottle of wine and sat together at the kitchen island.


„Do you have plans for the weekend?“ Lucy wanted to know at some point, looking at Josh.


„Oh, ehm… I made the suggestion looking for a car for Eve but she wasn’t excited about that idea.“ He said. 


„But that’s a really good idea. You should do this.“


Eve rolled her eyes, not responding. 


„Honey, the accident is five years ago. It’s time.“ Lucy said, looking at her now.


Eve immediately turned pale, processing what her friend just said. Josh looked completely confused, having no idea what Lucy was talking about.


„Which accident?“ He asked.


Lucy saw Eve’s shocked face. Then she looked at Josh.


„Jesus… you… you didn’t tell him?“ She stammered. 


Eve’s eyes filled with tears. She was overwhelmed by the sudden situation and didn’t know how to behave.


„Eve… why you didn’t tell him?“ Lucy continued asking. 


Eve turned deeply upset now. 


„I don’t owe you an explanation why I didn’t inform my new boyfriend how I killed my husband!“ She hissed. 


Then she stood up and rushed into her bedroom. 


Josh looked like he was trapped in a wrong reality. He tried to process what he just learned but it made no sense to him. 


Lucy watched Eve disappear. Then she looked at Josh, having a bad conscience that she just ruined their evening. 


„Lucy. Explain to me.“ He demanded. 


„Look…“ She said and made a break to catch her breath.


„Eve’s husband died in a car accident and… she was the driver…“ 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I’m wondering if you expect any drama at some point. Originally this should be a cheesy story but I’m open minded to bring them into trouble and make things a little more complicated. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story