„Josh?“ Eve asked, after taking another big sip of her cocktail.


„Yes?“ 


„Are you in a relationship? I mean, I suppose you’re not, because otherwise you wouldn’t be here alone tonight, right?“ She said. 


„Right. What about you?“


„Same situation. I’m not seeing anyone, but I have Lucy. We’re sharing an apartment and sometimes it feels like a real relationship.“ Eve said.


Josh looked at her with his eyes wide open. Eve looked back, noticing his confusion and swallowed up her drink a little bit.


„God lord! It’s not what you think!“ She said and started laughing. 


Josh smiled relieved. 


„But…“ Eve continued talking. „Lucy is in a very experimental stage of her life. She got divorced from her husband some time ago and had a fling with a chick lately.“ 


„Oh. So you better never say never.“ Josh teased. 


„I’m pretty sure this is not gonna happen but… ya… you never know.“ She smiled. 


Eve finished her cocktail and ordered another one. 


„Uh… I feel the rum.“ She announced. 


„What happens when the rum takes control?“ He asked eagerly.


„I talk to much.“ 


„About what?“ 


„No matter what.“


„Okay, then let’s see what happens when you’re finished with the next one.“ He teased again. 


„And you? How does alcohol influence you?“ She asked. 


„I become more confident.“


„Well, that’s not a bad thing.“ Eve determined. 


„Talking too much is not a bad thing, as well.“


Eve smiled. 


„Talking about talking, since when are you single, Josh?“


„Oh, it has been just few weeks. We broke up after Thanksgiving.“ 


„Did something happen?“


„Life happened, I guess. We’ve been together for few years and doing great for a while. But at some point we realized, that we expected different things from life.“ 


„Like what?“


„Kids.“


„Uh, I can see that struggle. So, you wanted but she didn’t or the way around?“


„The way around.“


Josh was wondering why he was telling her such personal stuff. Normally he never opened up that fast. But something about Eve made him feel comfortable and let him forget about his inhibitions. 


„I’m sorry to hear that. It must be pretty tough.“


„Well, we tried making a compromise and adopted a dog, although I’m not a pet person at all. First I was just deeply annoyed about that ugly, stinky guy. But when I finally started liking him, we broke up.“


„Oh no. That sucks.“


„Yap. Unnecessary emotional baggage.“


„But you can have shared custody.“


„Not really. She’s moving back to Orlando soon. So, that’s it.“


Eve sighed.


„I believe we will need another drink to get over this.“ She teased.


„Are you making fun of me?“ He asked, raising an eyebrow. 


„Nope.“ She said, shaking her head and biting her lips to stop herself from smiling. 


„Brat.“ 


Eve chuckled. 


„Okay. As my apology, your next drink is on me.“ She offered.


„No, Eve. That’s not necessary.“ He replied, feeling uncomfortable receiving a drink from a woman.


„Come on, it’s just a drink to make you feel better.“


„I’m good. Don’t worry.“ He smiled back. 


Eve needed to admit, that she liked him. Probably he wouldn’t be the kind of guy she would pay extra attention when passing him by on the street. Nevertheless he was very attractive. But this wasn’t about his pretty eyes or his adorable smile. It was his charming attitude and the way he was talking to her. 


„Okay, Mrs. Curious. How come you’re single?“ Josh wanted to know next. 


„Shit.“ Eve thought. 


This wasn’t something she wanted to talk about. But after asking him about all that personal stuff, she owed him an answer, as well. 


„I was married. But I’m not anymore. End of the story.“ She explained. 


„Did I just hit your weak spot?“


„Ya, not my favorite topic. But… you know… it’s five years ago. I really can say at this point, that I’m over it.“ She answered. 


„Did you have a dog?“ He asked to cheer her up again.


Eve burst out laughing and shook her head. 


„Fortunately not. No additional emotional baggage.“ She replied. 


„Lucky you.“


Eve nodded, taking a big sip and finished her drink. 


„Another round?“ Josh suggested. 


„Definitely.“ She replied. 


After drinking their next cocktail, they’ve been definitely drunk. 


„Oh god, it’s happening.“ Eve said when the DJ started playing the next song. 


„What is happening?“ Josh asked curiously. 


„I feel the urge for dancing.“ She explained. 


„So, that’s what is happening when you get drunk. Why you let me believe you just talk much?“ He teased. 


„I didn’t want to scare you off.“ She joked. 


„Wise woman.“ He teased again. 


Eve hit his upper arm playfully and gave him a warning look. Touching others was another of her habits when she got drunk. 


Josh liked her doing that. He remembered when an older friend from high school taught him, that it was a good sign when a girl acted this way. 


Eve stood up from her stool and gave him a very cheeky smile. 


„Forget it.“


„Josh. Don’t be a grinch.“ She pouted. 


„No.“ He replied, trying hard not to smile. 


Eve didn’t let go. She grabbed his hand and tried to pull him from his stool. 


„You really think you can make me stand up?“ He teased. 


„What that supposed to mean?“


„How big are you? 5 feet?“ 


„5/3!“ She corrected him, still pulling his arm. 


Josh couldn’t stop himself from smiling any longer. She was cute. With every cell of her tiny body she was just damn cute. 


„Come on, Josh! I don’t care, if you can dance or not. Believe me, no one dances as bad as I do.“


Josh sighed. 


„Pain in the ass.“ 


Then he stood up slowly. Eve smiled self-satisfied and pulled him to the dance floor. Then she turned into his direction. Immediately he grabbed her waist and pulled her closer to his body. She didn’t expect that and looked at him surprised. He took her right hand and started dancing Salsa with her. Eve didn’t know the steps, but Josh was a confident dance partner and just made her move the right way. Eve was a little overwhelmed, but there was no time to think. She smiled all over her face and enjoyed every second.


Josh didn’t remember when he danced with a woman for the last time. He was definitely not the kind of person who danced at parties. Neither was he interested joining parties in general in the last couple of years. He became lazy and he knew it. But for the first time he made new year’s resolutions. After his split up with his girlfriend Jen, he was thinking about general changes in his life. Mainly he wanted to find a way to take better care of himself. Dancing with a beautiful woman and just enjoying himself was definitely a first step leaving his comfort zone. And it made him feel alive again. 


Eve felt more and more attracted to the stranger, who was dancing like he did nothing else in his life before. Her first impression of him was quite different to what she was experiencing with him on the dance floor. She believed he was a quiet person, not feeling the urge standing in the spotlight. But now she enjoyed a complete different side of him.


After several uptempo songs, the DJ played a slower one for a change. Josh pulled Eve close to his chest and put both arms around her waist. She rested her arms around his neck, moving her hips slowly to the rhythm. They looked deep into their eyes for the first time and got lost in the moment.


„Holy shit… looks like things won’t end at that dance floor tonight…“ Eve thought.


The imagination of taking him home was completely scary, but it also caused butterflies in her belly. She never did that before. Actually she needed just one hand to count the men she ever had sex with. And the last one was her husband.


Josh knew that inviting look in her eyes. He’ve seen that hundred times before. But this was long time ago. Having one night stands was not at his agenda anymore. Meaningless sex lost its thrill when he started having serious relationships with women. His relationship with Jen was his longest so far. But when things started falling apart she begun distancing herself. He barely remembered when he got sex for the last time. Thinking about sleeping with Eve made him feel nervous. But in a good way. 


„Do something, Eve. You can’t stare at him like this forever.“ Eve was thinking. 


Josh usually didn’t make the first step. He knew by experience, that he just needed to show little patience before things happened naturally. At least this was his prior method dealing with those situations. But now he wasn’t sure, if his plan would work out the way he expected. He knew that he still had a healthy appeal to women. But he also let himself go during the last few years and wasn’t in his best shape. Eve could easily hook up with any other guy in that bar, if she wanted. Luckily she wasn’t aware of that. Or was she? 


Josh suddenly lowered his head into her direction. He cupped her delicate face with one hand and placed a tender kiss on her lips.  


„Oh yes…“ Eve thought and got lost in the moment.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story