Next day Eve was sitting in her office, being busy with the plans for her next project. She was wearing a navy shift dress and golden sandals. Her hair was open and straight. 


Mateo showed up short before lunch break.


„Hey girl, you’re good?“ He asked carefully, standing in the doorstep.


Eve glanced at him before replying. 


„Yes. Why you’re asking?“ 


„You look tensed and you didn’t ask me to have lunch together.“


„Sorry, Mat. I was just engrossed in my work. So, do we have lunch?“


„I already have a lunch date with someone else as you didn’t ask.“


„Excuse me?“ Eve said, acting outraged. 


„I go with Sarah.“


„Sarah? You replaced me through gossip Sarah because I forgot asking once?“


„Yes, that’s how things are.“


„Well, then have fun with Sarah.“ She pouted. 


„You can join us.“


„No, thank you.“


„Eve… come on. She’s not that bad. Give her a chance.“


Eve rolled her eyes. She was really hungry. 


„Okay, fine.“ 



Just short time later Eve, Sarah and Mateo went to a small Italian restaurant close to the office and sat down outside at the terrace, enjoying the perfect weather. After ordering drinks and food, Mateo continued digging, as he realized Eve was still not in a good mood. 


„Is everything okay with Josh?“ 


Eve gave him an annoyed look. She didn’t want to talk about Josh in front of Sarah. But Sarah was very interested learning more about their relationship. She knew from Rachel that they became a couple. 


„It’s unreal he’s your boyfriend now. I mean, do you know how lucky you are?“ Sarah said. 


„Yes, I know.“ Eve replied. 


„Did he tell you why he never released his second album? Are there any plans for a *NSYNC reunion?“ Sarah continued asking.


„So, you’re a fan, hm?“ Mateo said.


„Ya, I was one of those hysterical fangirls back in those days. JC was always my favorite.“ Sarah answered. 


Eve rolled her eyes, but luckily Sarah didn’t notice, as she was wearing sunglasses. 


„So, did he tell you?“ 


„Sarah, I can’t talk to you about those things.“ Eve replied, trying hard not sounding bitchy. 


„Come on Eve, give me something.“ 


„No.“


Sarah pouted. 


„What’s wrong with you today, hm? Did you have a fight or something?“ Mateo wanted to know. 


Eve sighed. 


„He asked me to move in. And I asked for time to think this trough.“ 


„Oh my god!!!“ Sarah squeaked. 


„Girl, what the hell you need to think through?“ Mateo asked, being exited about the news as well. 


„It’s a big step.“


„But it doesn’t explain your bad mood at all. So, what is it?“ Mateo replied. 


„He’s disappointed I didn’t say yes right in that moment. The situation between us is tensed since then.“ 


„Jesus, Eve! Don’t mess this up! Don’t be an idiot!“ Sarah said.  


„I’m not messing anything up.“ 


„Look. When JC Chasez asks you to move in, you move in. End of the story.“ Sarah replied. 


„Why exactly you believe this should be the case?“ Eve talked back. 


„Because he’s JC Chasez!“ Sarah answered. 


Eve scoffed. 


„I don’t care if he’s a former boyband member or not. His celebrity status doesn’t impress me in any way.“ 


Sarah looked at her irritated.


„Sorry, but I’m not buying it.“


Eve turned upset. 


„Then don’t.“ 


„Hey girls, calm down. There’s no need getting bitchy.“ Mateo tried to mediate. 


The drinks came in the same moment. 


„Just let me know when you screwed this up. I’m happy to help him getting over you.“ Sarah replied boldly.


„Did you really just said that?!“ Mateo stammered, staring at Sarah in disbelief. 


Eve put off her glasses and gave her a dismissive look. 


„We’re done, Sarah.“


Then she put some cash at the table, grabbed her bag and left the situation. 


„What the hell is wrong with you???“ Mateo blamed Sarah when Eve was gone. 


„She’s ungrateful and stupid.“ She answered, without having a bad conscience. 


„I agree that someone here was stupid. But surely it wasn’t Eve.“ 


Sarah acted unimpressed and took a sip of her fruit punch. 


Mateo stood up as well and put some money at the table.


„That girl is my friend. If you ever talk shit about her again, I’ll make you regret it.“ He hissed, before he disappeared as well. 



Eve was sitting at her desk and continued her work. Mateo showed up after a while, knocking at her glass door.


„No.“ Eve shouted, still being upset after what happened during lunch. 


Mateo came in anyway, with her favorite cake and coffee from Starbucks. Eve ignored him as he came closer. Then he put everything at her table. 


„Honey. I can’t remember doing anything wrong, so don’t punish me for Sarah’s behavior.“ He said carefully. 


Eve sighed and looked at him. He sat down at her desk, staring back. 


„She’s a bitch. I should have known that. I’m done with her as well.“ He added. 


Eve gave him a short smile and grabbed the coffee. 


„So, you wanna talk about that moving in situation?“ 


Eve took a big sip and opened the bag with the cake before responding. 


„The thing is, Sarah was right. I should have said yes. I want to move in. Honestly, I don’t even understand myself why I hesitated. Now he’s hurt and I feel bad about it.“ 


„Sweetheart. Then why you just don’t call him right now and say that you’re all in?“ Mateo asked. 


„I don’t wanna give him the feeling I’m saying yes just because I he expects me saying yes. Does is make any sense?“ 


Mateo shook his head.


„Not really, honey.“ 


Eve sighed again. 


„Mat, do you have plans after work?“ 



Josh asked Justin to meet him for dinner before he was leaving for Montana with Jess and the kids in the next morning. He needed someone to talk about the current situation and Justin was his first choice. 


Justin arrived first at their favorite diner. He was wearing an dark blue oversize hoodie, comfortable jeans and a baseball cap. He liked that simple place because usually he didn’t get disturbed although the employees knew who he was. 


Josh showed up just few minutes later. He was also wearing a baseball cap, light blue jeans and a black long sleeve. They sat down at their favorite quiet corner and ordered burgers and fries. 


„You look unhappy.“ Justin immediately noticed. 


„Is that so obvious?“


„Absolutely. So what did you do?“ 


„Why you think I did something?“


Justin raised an eyebrow.


„Just say it.“


„I asked her to move in.“ 


„Oh. That’s pretty fast.“


„Is this really a problem?“ 


„Dunno. You tell me, dude.“


„She said she needs time to get used to the idea.“


„I see.“ Justin said and smiled. 


„What that supposed to mean?“ 


„No chick ever asked you for time to get used to that idea.“ Justin explained.


„Yes.“


„And now you feel offended.“


„Yes.“


„It’s just has been two months, bro. She has a right to think this through. “


„So, I’m overreacting?“


„Yes.“


„What if she says no?“


Justin laughed. 


„It’s not gonna happen. That girl is crazy for you.“


„How do you know?“


The waiter brought their dishes in the same moment. Justin waited until she was gone, before answering. 


„I have eyes.“


„And what do you see with those?“


Justin hesitated for a moment. He thought about the time he’ve spend with Eve at his house last week. He was aware of that he crossed the line few times to see how she was responding to him. He enjoyed playing with fire. After being married for almost ten years, it was thrilling him having another woman around. And he needed to admit that he liked her a lot. But this was something he couldn’t speak out in front of his best friend. 


Justin tasted his food before he answered. 


„Dude, are you really doubting her?“


„No.“


„Good, because there is no reason putting her feelings for you into question.“


„Again, why you believe knowing that, T?“ 


„Because… I was flirting with her but she didn’t respond.“


„Excuse me. What???“ 


„It was harmless. I just wanted to see how she reacts.“


„You flirted with my girl to see how she reacts???“ 


„Yap…“


„What the hell, man???“


„It was just for fun. Don’t shit yourself.“ 


„T… that’s not funny! She’s everything to me! If you try to…“


Justin interrupted him.


„I’m trying nothing.“


„Really? Then explain to me why you let her listen to your album? You wanted to impress her or what?“ 


„I just wanted doing her a favor after that kitchen accident.“ 


„She was talking about a ballad you sang for her. What was that?“


„I had an idea for another song and I wanted to hear her opinion.“


There was a pause. Josh was staring an his best friend, still being upset.


„Stop hitting on my girl, T.“ 


„Okay.“ Justin replied. 


Then they ate their dishes in silence.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story