Josh arrived home short after 9 PM, wondering about a black BMW X3 standing in front of his double garage. Then he realized it must be Eve’s new car. He asked himself why she didn’t tell him that she was picking it up today. After taking a closer look, he went inside the house. 


„Baby?“ He shouted but there was no response. 


He looked for her in the kitchen and the living room but she wasn’t there. Then he went upstairs. His bedroom was dark but the light inside his closet was switched on. Slowly he went inside. All empty shelves on the left-hand side were filled now with Eve’s clothes, shoes and bags. He noticed that she put away some of his things to have some space for her dresses and jackets on the hanging rail. Then he opened one the drawer and found Eve’s underwear inside. 


He left the closet with a big grin in his face and knocked at the bathroom door.


„Baby, are you inside?“ 


„Yes…“


„May I come in?“


„Yes…“


He opened the door and found her in the bathtub. She lighted up some candles and listened to  lounge music. There was a bottle of Champagne and two glasses standing at the edge of the bathtub.


„Hi.“ He said, smiling adoringly at her.


„Hi.“ She replied, smiling back. 


He started undressing himself while she was watching him. Then he entered the bathtub. He pushed himself between her thighs and bent over her body to kiss her lips. 


„Welcome home, cupcake.“ He whispered into her mouth. 


„Thank you.“


„I was pushing you. I’m sorry, Eve.“


„No, you’re not.“ She replied, smiling. 


„Okay, I’m not. It’s just… I wanted this badly.“ He tried to explain. 


„I know.“


„You won’t regret this. I promise.“


„I know.“


„You can change whatever you want to feel more comfortable.“


„Honey, I already took care of it. I love the way I designed that house.“ She said cockily. 


„Ya, I know but… I just don’t want you to feel like living at my place. I want you to feel like living at our place. You know what I mean?“ 


Eve nodded and continued smiling. 


„You make me very happy with this.“ He said. 


„I can see that. And it makes me happy as well.“


He kissed her one more time gently.


„What did Lucy say?“


„Don’t worry about her. She was pushing me as well.“ 


„She did?“


„Ya. She shares your opinion that it doesn’t make any difference as we spend every night together anyway.“ 


Josh smiled all over his face.


„Wise woman.“ 


„She’s visiting Joey in Orlando this weekend, by the way.“


„I know. He told me.“


„I hope they become a couple.“


„He’s working on it.“


„Great.“ 


„Hey ehm… we can go to Orlando together next time. I want you to meet my folks.“


„Okay. Can’t wait.“


She continued looking at him and bit her lower lip.


„Josh?“


„Yes, cupcake?“


„I just want you to know that I never felt so much appreciated and desired before in my life. I love the way you love me.“


Again he smiled all over his face.


„That’s exactly how I want you to feel.“ 



Few weeks passed by. Living with Josh felt like the most natural thing to do. Eve was glad that the whole interior in his house was new. She was the only one who ever slept in his new bed with him. She was the only one who ever spend the evenings with him at his new sofa. And she was the only one who ever cooked dinner for him in his new kitchen.


Besides of doing life together Josh was pretty busy with some new clients and Eve was in the middle of her Beverly Hills house project. It was her biggest project so far and she was very ambitious to do a great job with this. 


She was at work just finishing an email, as Rachel entered her office. 


„Hey boss. What’s up?“ Eve said, still typing. 


Rachel came closer and put an envelope at her desk. Eve glanced at her. 


„That’s the official invitation to the firm’s twenty anniversary party. Make sure to bring your hot boyfriend.“ Rachel said, grinning cheeky. 


„Don’t worry. He’ll join me.“ Eve replied. 


„Great. Now go home. You work too much.“


Eve raised her eyebrows.


„Did you really just said that?“


„Yes, Eve. I really just said that.“



When Eve arrived home and opened the front door, she smelled food and was deeply irritated about it. She put off her booties, put her bag and her keys at the sideboard and went into the kitchen. Josh was busy preparing something and gave her a bright smile when he noticed her. 


„What is happening?“ She asked, sounding concerned. 


„Babe, relax. I picked up the food on my way home. I’m just heating it up again.“ 


„Heating up can be a challenge as well.“ She teased.


He frowned and made her smile. She came closer in kissed him gently. 


„So, chicken breast with smashed potatoes and grilled vegetables it is tonight.“ She noticed.


„Yes. I needed to take care of it as someone works late hours lately and stopped cooking dinner.“ He complained half seriously. 


Eve smacked his ass. 


„If you want a perfect housewife you’ve chosen the wrong one.“ She talked back.


„I noticed.“ He continued teasing.


Eve put her arms around his waist from behind and bit his shoulder playfully. 


„All I get is domestic violence.“ He joked, while preparing the plates. 


„Stop complaining. You like it.“ 


Josh laughed. 


„Can you take care for the drinks, at least?“ 


Eve released him and grabbed white wine out of the fridge. She put two glasses out of the cupboard as well and went to the dining table. Josh served the food and both sat down opposite of each other. 



„Why we never go out?“ Eve asked when she finished her dish.


Josh finished as well and took a sip of his wine. 


„It’s nice being at home with you. I don’t miss going out. Do you?“


„Actually I didn’t notice that we barely leave the house together until now. But it’s kind of strange. I mean, we have no obligations with kids or anything. We should go out and enjoy ourselves a little more. Don’t you think?“ 


Josh looked at her for a moment, figuring out if this was the right situation to get deeper into the kids topic. He still didn’t clarify with her how she was feeling about having children. 


„Can I ask you something?“ He said.


„You can ask whatever you want, hon.“ She replied, leaning back in her chair. 


„You and Tom have been together for more than a decade.“


„We did.“


„Then why you don’t have kids, Eve?“


She looked at him surprised as she didn’t expect him caring about that topic. 


„Our life was pretty fine without children. We didn’t miss anything.“ She answered. 


„So, you just didn’t want having any?“ 


„Yes.“ 


Josh needed to process. He hoped getting another explanation. Eve was irritated about his behavior and had trouble to understand what was going on in his head.


„Are you surprised about what I said, Josh?“ She asked carefully. 


„Ehm, ya… I’m wondering why you got married if you didn’t plan having a family together.“ 


„You think this is the only reason for getting married?“


Josh just shrugged his shoulders. 


„Look. I was having my own business. Tom was busy with his career as well. There was no room for kids. Maybe we would have changed our minds someday but as you know, things came different. And to be honest, I’m grateful that I don’t have do deal with a kid on my own now.“


„I see.“ Josh replied, processing what she just said. 


„Why is this bothering you, hon? You don’t wanna have kids either, right?“ She continued talking. 


„I never said that, Eve.“


She looked at him with a big question mark in her face.


„But you told me this was the reason why things with Jen didn’t work out.“ 


„That’s true. Because the situation was complicated. 


Eve was completely lost.


„Explain to me.“


Josh took a deep breath and put his glass on the table. 


„Jen is in my age, Eve. Her chances getting pregnant were really low.“


„What about in vitro?“ 


„This method didn’t change the fact that it was still unlikely it would work out in the end. Having a miscarriage was also a big risk in her age. And I didn’t want forcing something with pressure which was not meant to be.“


„And surrogacy?“ 


„Ya… Jen was obsessed about that idea. And when Lance and Michael finally got pregnant this way, she was pushing me hard. But this just didn’t feel right. I understand why the dudes did that. I mean, for them there was no other way. But for me, paying someone a fortune for making my baby felt completely wrong.“


„I understand. Surely Jen was deeply frustrated about the whole situation.“


„She was. But it’s not like I didn’t give her another option…“


„Another option?“


„You know I’m adopted, right?“


Eve nodded. 


„My family is a blessing, Eve. I owe them for everything I achieved in my life. Adopting a kid always was on my mind to give back what I received.“ 


„Holy shit…“ Eve thought, processing hard.


„What did Jen say?“ 


„She wanted an own child. And I can’t blame her for that. But I didn’t see the point forcing a pregnancy although there are so many kids all over the world without family and any perspective for a good life.“ 


Eve was overwhelmed. She never expected learning something like this about him. She was touched about what he said but at the same time there was a deep shock as well. 


„So… you want… kids…“ She stammered, still processing. 


„I love kids, Eve. And I would love to have kids with you some day.“ 


Eve’s heart skipped a beat. She stared at him with her mouth open.


„Josh…“

 

Chapter End Notes:

I’m making a break due to vacation and continue uploading new chapters in May. Actually, I am having a nasty writer’s block and hope I’ll get some inspiration while being away from home. Tell me what you think so far. I appreciate any kind of feedback and also like to hear any suggestions how to move on with this. Thank you!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story