Josh woke up next morning with Eve in his arm. They spent the night in the guest room in his parent’s house. He loved waking up like this and kissed her hair gently. As he knew Eve was having trouble with the jetlag he decided letting her sleep a little longer and sneaked out of bed. He brushed his teeth, showered and dressed into comfortable black sweatpants and a white shirt. Then he went downstairs and met his mom in the garden, picking fresh tomatoes for breakfast. 


„Hi mom.“ He said gently and kissed her head, while she was kneeling in front of the tomato vine. 


„Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?“ She asked, smiling at him. 


„I did. You need some help here?“ 


„No, I’m finished. Let’s go inside. I’ll make some coffee for you.“ 


Josh sat down at the wooden kitchen island while Karen prepared the coffee. Then she handed him one mug and sat down next to him.


„I know you wanna talk, Josh. So, let’s talk.“ She said, knowing exactly what would happen next. 


„How do you know?“ He replied, smiling shyly.


„You are my kid. I can feel when you’re having something on your mind.


Again he smiled. 


„I need something from you.“ He almost whispered. 


Karen smiled back.


„I’m aware of that. And I already took care of it.“


Josh looked at her surprised. 


„I’ll give you your grandmother’s ring before you leave.“ 


He continued staring at her.


„How do you feel about it, mom?“


„I’m happy for you, Josh. Seeing you two together makes me incredibly happy. I’m grateful that you finally found the love of your life.“


„Thank you. This means everything to me.“


Karen smiled again. She took his hand and squeezed it gently. 


When Karen and Roy adopted Josh, his biological mom Diane gave Karen her own mother’s wedding ring. Her mother died very young and her ring was the most precious thing Diane owned. She told Karen that she wished, Josh would give the ring to the love of his life some day. Karen told Josh the story when he was old enough to understand. However, she stopped believing many years ago that he would ask for the ring one day. But now it finally happened. 



One week later Eve and Josh were busy getting ready for the twenty anniversary party of Rachel’s firm. Rachel booked the cocktail bar in the Beverly Hilton for the special event and also invited their longterm clients and business partners. 


„Baby, you look way too hot in that dress.“ Josh said and hugged Eve from behind, while she was standing in front of the mirror in their bathroom, choosing some earrings. In her heels she was much bigger then usual.


Josh was wearing a navy suit, with a white shirt, a slim black tie and black shoes. As always he was also wearing his nerdy glasses. Eve loved it seeing him dressed up for the night. She smiled and enjoyed his embrace. Her satin black dress was mid-length, with an one shoulder neckline and a deep front slit. Her hair was curled and pinned-up. She wore devil red lipstick and expressive eye make-up. Josh was turned on and kissed her neck playfully. 


„Mr. Chasez, behave. There is no way I let you ruin my look.“ She teased and smiled. 


„You can be so cruel sometimes.“ He complained half seriously.



The cocktail bar was already crowded when Eve and Josh arrived at the Beverly Hilton. They came by taxi as they both wanted having some drinks tonight.


„Here you are.“ Mateo cheered, when they entered the scene.


„Hi Mat, good to see you again.“ Josh replied friendly and gave him a hug. 


Mateo and Josh knew each other in the meanwhile and get along pretty well. 


Mat hugged Eve next and guided them to the bar for having some drinks. Rachel noticed them short after and joined them at the bar. 


„Mr. Chasez.“ She said with a big smile in her face.


„Mrs. Klein.“ Josh replied, smiling back. 


Rachel came closer, kissed his cheeks and greeted Eve and Mateo next.


„It’s a big pleasure having you here tonight.“ Rachel continued talking to Josh. 


„Of course. Thank you for your invitation.“ Josh replied friendly. 


„So, I heard Eve moved in your redesigned house recently.“ Rachel continued chatting. 


„She did.“ Josh answered, giving Eve a loving smile.


„Sly girl.“ Rachel teased.


Eve knew Rachel was joking, but still didn’t like it. It’s not like she insisted moving in that fast but of course it was easy to believe that. 


Josh noticed, put his arm around Eve’s waist and pulled her closer.


„I couldn’t wait to have her with me.“ He said and kissed her cheek. 


„I completely understand, Mr. Chasez. Your girl is one of a kind.“ Rachel said, giving Eve a wink. 


In the next moment Sarah joined the group. She was wearing a petite silver cocktail dress and black killer heels. Eve looked at Mat and both rolled their eyes. 


„Hi at all.“ Sarah cheered with a big shady grin in her face. She was scanning Josh from head to toe.


Josh remembered her, as they met before at the front desk, when he picked up Eve for lunch.


„I was hoping to see you tonight.“ Sarah said boldly, ignoring the rest of the group.


She knew she would piss Eve off with her behavior but she couldn’t care less.


„How comes that?“ Rachel asked surprised. 


„Sarah is a fangirl.“ Mat answered cynically.


„A fangirl?“ Rachel repeated. 


„Yes, some people never grow up, hm?“ Mateo continued bitching.


Josh noticed the tension between them and gave Eve an irritated look. 


„I talked to Eve about a *NSYNC reunion recently.“ Sarah said next, ignoring Mateo. 


Josh looked again at Eve, wondering if she really talked about that topic to anyone. Eve noticed he was turning uneasy.


„I can’t remember that conversation.“ Eve talked back, giving Sarah a warning look. 


Sarah ignored Eve. 


„I can’t wait for new *NSYNC music, JC.“


„What a bitch…“ Eve was thinking, processing Sarah’s boldness. 


„Well, thank you. But that’s not what’s at the agenda, I’m afraid.“ Josh replied, not liking to have this conversation with a fangirl right now. 


„This bar is amazing, Rachel. I couldn’t imagine a better place for your party.“ Mateo said next to change the subject.


„Did you know we designed that bar three years ago?“ Rachel said to Josh.


„You did? Wow, that’s awesome. It looks great. I like that seventies look a lot.“ Josh replied.


„It’s incredible, Rachel. You designed that place yourself, right?“ Eve said next.


„Yes, it’s one of my best work.“ Rachel answered proudly. 


Sarah rolled her eyes as no one paid her any attention anymore. She stepped to the bar and ordered a Martini while the rest of them continued their conversation. 



Some time later finger food was served. Everybody went to the buffet. Eve and Josh were undisturbed for a moment, when they went with their plates to a free bar table. 


„What was Sarah talking about?“ Josh wanted to know. 


Eve wasn’t surprised about his question. She knew he was upset about the reunion topic and was sure he would bring it up as soon as they were alone. 


„You really think I talked to her about the reunion?“ Eve asked. 


„Dunno. Did you?“ He said.


Eve turned upset as well. 


„Really, Josh?“ She talked back.


„If you didn’t talk to her about that, why she said that she’s looking forward to new music? That’s an interesting coincident, don’t you think?“ 


„I have no idea why she said that.“ Eve hissed. 


Josh sighed, realizing that he crossed the line.


„Babe… don’t be mad. I just try to understand.“


„I am shocked you believe that I am talking about those things to anyone.“ She blamed him. 


„Then why she brought that up?“


„One day she asked questions. And I said I’m not giving her answers. That’s all what happened.“ 


„Does it mean she just tried to act like she knew something to get more information?“


„I don’t know! If this is so important to you, go and ask herself!“


Josh felt sorry, that he upset her so much. He stepped in front of her and grabbed her hand to pull her closer. But she released herself. 


„I need some fresh air.“ She said instead and left him alone in the next moment. 


Mateo watched the scene from distance and joined Josh right after.


„What happened?“ He asked curiously.


„I was a dick.“ Josh answered.


Mateo stared at him for few seconds.


„Don’t say you blamed her for talking to Sarah about *NSYNC.“ Mateo said. 


Josh looked guilty. 


„Jesus, how could you do that? Eve hates Sarah. She would never talk to her about those stuff.“


Josh frowned. 


„Why she hates Sarah?“


„Because she made some inappropriate comments about you a while ago.“


„What comments?“


Matteo sighed.


„Look, that chick is hot for you and bold enough to let Eve know.“


Josh processed the news, having a really bad conscience now. 


„Excuse me, Mat. I need to find her.“

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story