Eve woke up in the next morning. Josh was spooning her tightly, having one arm around her body. He was holding one of her naked breasts. She felt his warm breath on her neck.


„He’s still here… oh my god… he’s still here. Why is he still here?“ Eve thought, turning excited about the fact, that he didn’t sneak out of her apartment in the middle of the night. 


„Next time, google one night stands first.“ She made a mental note. 


Eve needed to pee very urgently. She was thinking about what to do next. Should she offer some coffee? What were the rules for all of this?


Slowly she lifted his heavy arm and sneaked out of bed on her tiptoes. She disappeared into her walk in closet for a second to put on some grey sweat-shorts and a pink tank top. Then she went into her en-suite bathroom and closed the door carefully. 


„Oh god… what happened to my face…?“ She thought, looking into the mirror. 


Sleeping with makeup was always a bad idea. Sleeping with contact lenses was another big mistake. Her eyes were red and swollen. She removed the contact lenses and the rest of her makeup and put on her big nerdy glasses. She was completely lost without them. After brushing her teeth and peeing, she put her messy hair together into a bun. Then she looked into the mirror again.


„Okay, that’s definitely not the face he met yesterday night, but I’m not putting on fresh make up for a man who will probably leave my apartment as soon as he wakes up.“ She thought. 


Then she took a deep breath and left the bathroom. Josh was awake and sat down in bed, when he noticed her. 


„Hi.“ He said, smiling calmly.


„Hi.“ She replied, smiling back shyly. 


„How are you?“ He asked.


„I’m good. And you?“


„I’m good, as well.“ 


Eve smiled again, not knowing what to do next. 


„Hey, ummm, you like some coffee or tea?“ She asked just to say something.


„I’m fine with both. Thank you.“ 


„Okay, ummm, you want me to bring it here, or… do you join me in the kitchen?“ She asked, not being able to hide her insecurity anymore. 


„Your place. Your rules.“ He replied, still smiling. 


She was so nervous. He wished he could make her feel less tensed. 


„I’ll wait for you in the kitchen then. Surely I’m gonna find something suitable for breakfast as well.“ She announced. 


„Okay.“


She gave him another shy smile and went outside in the next moment.


„Did you really just offered breakfast? What comes next? Asking him to move in?“ Eve blamed herself. 


Hastily she started the coffee maker and took a look into the almost empty fridge. 


„Great job, Eve. Offering breakfast without food in the house.“ 


Then she looked at the kitchen island. There was a big container with chocolate cupcakes standing on it. She baked them for Lucy, but she made few more for herself, as she loved cupcakes for life. 


„Just tell him that’s German breakfast. He surely will buy it.“ Eve thought half seriously. 


She made coffee and placed cupcakes on two plates. Luckily there was some orange juice in the fridge. She filled two glasses and placed them at the counter, as well. 


Josh dressed himself in the meanwhile and went into her bathroom. He saw Eve’s perfume on the shelf under the mirror. He grabbed the bottle and took a smell at it. The delicate floral scent immediately dazed his mind. But he knew it smelled even better on her skin. 


It didn’t happen often, that he stayed the night with a girl which he hooked up for just one purpose. But being with Eve felt really good. He wanted to relish the time with her to its full extent.


Eve just finished making coffee when he came into the kitchen. His hair was a mess but somehow he still looked hot this way. He smiled at her and sat down at the kitchen island. She did as well next to him and handed him his coffee mug. 


„Do you need milk and sugar?“ She asked. 


„Nope. I’m good. Thank you.“ He answered and took a sip.


He was surprised as the coffee tasted really good. It was strong and aromatic, having the perfect temperature, as well. 


„It’s good, isn’t it?“ She boasted. 


Josh smiled. He had the impression she slowly felt more relaxed in his presence. 


„It is good, ya.“ He replied. 


„Lucy and I were always arguing about the best roast. We tried countless sorts to find something we both liked the same way. That’s the final result of our exhausting conflict.“


„Please don’t tell me it’s the coffee brand where some weird exotic cats are shitting out the beans.“ He joked. 


„Oh, you heard about it?“


Josh gave her disgusted look. 


„Relax. It’s not that coffee. It costs a fortune. But it’s good. I drank it once.“


Again Josh looked disgusted. 


„Oh god… Americans. You believe Starbucks is doing a great job, right? Why am I even talking to you?“ She teased.


„Did you just discriminated me for being American?“ 


„Yes, white man. Discrimination can happen to any of us. You really need to learn to deal with that fact.“ She teased again. 


„With that German accent I believe you should be careful with any kind of discrimination.“ He teased back. 


Eve looked at him with her mouth wide open.


He hoped he didn’t cross the line with this, waiting for any kind of reaction. 


„First of all, I’m not German. Second, I like your dark humor. But if you start messing with me, you really should be able taking a joke.“ She warned him. 


Josh frowned. 


„You are not German? I would have sworn I know that accent.“ 


„The accent might be German, but I’m not.“ 


Josh couldn’t be more confused as in that moment. 


„How does this work?“ He wanted to know. 


„I’m Polish.“ 


„Oh.“


„Yap.“


„And the accent?“


„I’ve grown up in Germany. Lived there my whole life actually.“ 


„And how you ended up here in America, where nobody knows how a good coffee should taste like?“ 


„Ummm, that’s a long story.“ 


„You don’t wanna talk about it?“


Eve looked at him and sighed. Then she started to explain.


„I needed a new life urgently at some point. Lucy already lived here for a while. But I used to work with her in Germany for many years before she left. I really missed her. And I envied her for doing that big step starting all over again on the other side of the world. She encouraged me to leave as well. It took a while until I was ready. But few weeks ago I finally made that step and left my old life behind.“ 


Josh listened carefully. He noticed that her eyes started swimming a little bit, while she was talking. He didn’t want to push it, but very obviously she didn’t tell him the whole version of her story. 


„In that case, welcome to America, Eve.“ He said, instead of asking further questions. 


„Thank you.“ She replied and smiled. 


Josh glanced at the plate in front of his face now. 


„Cupcakes for breakfast?“ He asked, raising an eyebrow. 


„That’s German breakfast.“ She said, smiling cheeky. 


„It’s not.“


„I mean, Polish breakfast.“ 


He gave her a skeptical look.


„Prove the opposite.“ She teased. 


Josh smiled at her. Then he grabbed the cupcake and took a bite. 


„Wow, it’s good.“ He said with full mouth. 


„I know.“ She bragged.


„You made these?“


„Yap.“ 


„A Polish recipe?“ He teased.


„Of course. It’s confidential.“ She lied and smiled. 


Josh looked at her for a moment, while eating. She sipped her coffee and wondered, why he was suddenly gazing at her. 


„What?“ She finally asked, turning a little nervous again. 


Josh smiled.


„You have freckles.“ 


Eve rolled her eyes.


„I know. Being in California let them expand. It’s really nasty.“ 


„Why would you say that?“ He asked surprised. 


„I simply don’t like them.“


„But you should. They’re gorgeous.“ Josh replied. 


Eve immediately flushed. 


„He made a compliment. What is happening here?!“ She thought, being suddenly excited. 


She didn’t know what to say. Was he flirting or just being nice? 


Josh finished his cupcake and took a big sip of he orange juice standing next to him. He realized it was time to go, before overstraining her hospitality. 


„Hey, ummm, this was nice. All of this.“ He said next.


„Ya. It was.“ She replied shyly. 


„Maybe we can have another good coffee someday, somewhere?“ He suggested. 


„Okay. Things are really turning strange now.“ Eve thought. 


„Oh.“ She said without thinking. 


Now it was Josh who turned suddenly nervous. 


„Sorry, Eve. I didn’t want to  make things weird.“ He apologized. 


„You didn’t.“ She immediately replied. „I just didn’t expect you would like to see me again. I believed this was just something… physical…“ She tried to explain.


As soon as she spoke it out loud, she realized how stupid she sounded. Josh forced a smile.


„Don’t worry about it. Umm… as I said, this was really nice. But I should go now.“ He said next.


Eve felt awful. She didn’t want him to leave like this. But she absolutely had no idea how to deal with the situation. 


Josh stood up. She did as well.


„Hey, ummm… you wanna take another cupcake?“


„Eve, you idiot! You just offered food as an excuse for dumping him!“ She blamed herself in her thoughts. 


Josh noticed she was deeply confused now. Then he grabbed the cupcake from her plate which she didn’t eat yet and smiled at her. 


„In case I get hungry again on my way home. You never know, right? He joked. 


„Right.“ 


He went to the front door now and turned around, before he left.


„Happy new year, Eve.“ He said. 


„Happy new year, Josh.“ She replied.


Then he opened the door and disappeared out of her life. 


Eve let herself fall onto the stool again. She grabbed her face and shook her head. 


„You are so, so damn stupid!!!“ 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story