Few days later Eve and Mat were on their way back into their offices after their weekly team meeting. 


„So…“ He said, while she was checking her phone. 


„So, what?“ She murmured, being engrossed in reading a message. 


„Your birthday.“


„What’s with my birthday?“ 


„There’re just few days left.“


„Mat… say what you wanna to say, please.“ She replied, giving him an impatient look now. 


They reached Eve’s office and stopped in front of the door. 


„You really wanna spend it just with Josh, without having party?“


„Yes, that’s what I said and I’m surely not gonna change my mind.“ 


„But…“


„Matty… come on.“ She interrupted him. „I’m turning 38. I don’t see any reason celebrating this number.“ 


„Okay. Nevermind.“ He replied, acting offended.


Then he continued walking and left her alone. 



At the same time Josh entered a Starbucks downtown. He’ve had an appointment with a client at his record label, but there was still some time left for coffee and a snack. He ordered a big cup of black coffee and a sandwich. Then he sat down in a quiet corner. While eating he was staring at his phone and checking his messages.


„What did you buy your chick for birthday?“ [Lance]


„Not gonna tell. [JC]


„I’m trustable!“ [Lance]


„But the rest of the jerks are not.“ [JC]


„Excuse me???“ [Justin]


„It’s a ring.“ [Joey]


„It’s not.“ [JC]


„It’s a ring!“ [Joey]


„It’s not!“ [JC]


„Is it a ring?“ [Chris]


„It’s not a ring!“ [JC]


„Why not?“ [Lance]


Josh rolled his eyes and shook his head.



„Who’s annoying you?“ He suddenly heard a familiar voice saying. 


He looked up and saw Jen standing in front of him and smiling, with a take away latte in her hand. She was wearing a floaty denim dress and nude heeled sandals. Her whole look was perfect as always. 


„Oh hi!“ Josh replied, smiling back. „You’re back in town?“


„Ya, there’s a wedding this weekend. Remember?“ Jen replied. 


„Sure, yes… ehm… your friend from yoga, right?“ 


„Right.“ 


„So, how long you’re staying?“ 


„Just couple of days to help her with the last preparations.“ 


„Hey… you wanna sit and chat a little? I have a meeting but I’m early and would appreciate some company.“ 


„Sure.“ Jen said and sat down opposite of him.



Eve and Mateo made a walk to a food truck in their lunch break. Then they enjoyed hotdogs at a bench in the park close to their office, before returning back to work. 


Eve entered her office and let herself fall at her chair. She felt overeaten and tired but needed to finish some furniture orders urgently. In the very next second she noticed a white piece of paper in front of her. She took and turned it around. Immediately her heart dropped. 


„What the hell is this?“ She asked herself. 


With shaky hands she grabbed her phone and dialed Mateo’s number.


„What?“ He answered her call. 


„Come here. Right now.“ She stammered.


Mateo entered her office few seconds later.


„Did somebody die?“


„Yes. Me. Almost.“ Eve said and stared at him with a very concerned expression in her face. 


Then she gave him the piece of paper. It was a printed picture of Jen and Josh. They were sitting opposite of each other, laughing and having coffee. 


Mateo stared at the photo, while sitting down at Eve’s desk.


„Okay… who’s that bitch?“ He asked curiously. 


„You don’t know?“


„I wouldn’t ask if I knew, Eve.“ 


„This is Jen. His ex.“


„Where did you get this from?“


„I don’t know where it came from. This was lying on my desk when I returned from our break.“


„I this a current picture?“


„Yes. It must be from today. He left the house wearing the same clothes this morning.“


„So… he met his ex girlfriend for coffee. It’s not a crime, right?“ Mateo tried to play the situation down.


„But why? I mean… she went back to Orlando. I don’t understand why she’s back in L.A…“


„Okay. So why you don’t grab your cell and let him explain?“ 


Eve sighed.


„Look… I don’t wanna be like this… giving him the feeling that I’m spying on him…“ 


„You’re not spying. Someone left that pic on your desk. And you have the right to know what this is about.“


„Mat, who do you think made that photo?“


„I have no idea, hon.“


Mateo grabbed his phone in the next moment and checked social media.


„It’s not online.“ He noticed. 


„Good.“ She said relieved. 



Eve returned home early as she couldn’t focus on her work anyway, after finding the picture on her desk. She decided not bringing up that topic tonight and wondered if Josh would mention his meeting with Jen by himself. 


He was in his studio, when she entered the house. 


„Honey, I’m home.“ She shouted, while putting off her shoes and placing her bag at the sideboard. 


„Give me one minute.“ He shouted back. 


Short time later Josh appeared upstairs, finding Eve in the kitchen. She was looking into the fridge and thinking about what to cook for dinner. 


„Hi.“ He said softly and embraced her from behind. He kissed her neck and then rested his chin on her shoulder. 


Eve smiled and enjoyed having him close. 


„Hi.“ 


„That’s a fridge. Not a museum.“ He teased, as she was still staring inside. 


„I’m waiting for some inspiration.“ 


„Let’s just place an order or go out.“


Eve closed the fridge in the next second and turned around. He was still holding her. She put her arms around his neck, smiling cheeky. 


„Going out? You really just said that?“ 


„Yap.“


„So, what are you having on your mind? Mc drive?“


Josh kissed her lips.


„I’ll change my mind if you don’t stop being sassy.“ He warned her. 


She let her fingers run through his hair and smiled again. 


„How was your day?“ She wanted to know. 


„Good. I met a client at his label and made him very happy with a couple of new songs.“


„So, you’ve been downtown today?“


„Ya, this morning.“


Eve realized he was not supposed to talk about his coffee with Jen at this point. She didn’t want turning upset but it wasn’t easy for her to hide her disappointment. 


„You know what, let’s just place and order. I don’t feel like going out today.“ She said next and released herself from his embrace. 


Josh frowned. 


„Okay. But don’t blame me again for not asking you out for dinner.“ He joked. 


Eve forced a smile and then disappeared upstairs to change her clothes. 



When she returned downstairs, Josh was sitting at the sofa with a menu in his hand. She sat down next to him and switched on the telly.


„So, I’m going for pizza, what about you, babe?“ He asked, still being engrossed in the menu.


„Ya, pizza is fine.“ She replied offhanded. 


Josh looked at her confused. 


„Babe, what happened upstairs? You seem being upset.“ He immediately noticed. 


„Nothing happened upstairs. I’m just exhausted.“ She answered.


Josh stared at her for another moment.


„So, pizza… the same as always?“


„Yap…“


He grabbed his phone and placed the order. Then he looked at her again. Eve decided to pull herself together as she really was not in the mood starting a discussion about Jen. 


„You wanna continue watching Ozark?“ She asked him. 


„Sure.“ He replied. 


Eve started Netflix. He moved close to her and put his arm around her shoulders. She snuggled into his arm and pretended watching the series while her mind was driving her wild. 



When they made themselves ready for bed few hours later, Eve was absolutely not in the mood for having sex. But she knew that he was, as they used to sleep with each other every night. 


„Baby… what is this about?“ He asked irritated when she came into bed wearing a tanktop and panties. 


„What’s your problem?“ She said annoyed.


„The question is… what’s your problem?“ He asked carefully. 


„I’m tired.“ She replied, laid herself down and turned away from him.


„Eve. Come on. Don’t be that way. What did I do? Hm?“ He said calmly and turned her body at her back to see her face. 


Eve didn’t know what to do now. How should she explain the situation?


„Where have you been today?“ She finally asked.


Josh frowned.


„Downtown at the label. As I told you.“


„That’s it?“ She asked eagerly.


He still looked at her with confusion, recalling all events of his day in his mind. Then he finally understood. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story