Josh took a taxi and arrived home half hour later. He was disappointed and needed to admit that he wasn’t used getting dismissed like that. Usually he met women under different circumstances. When he was joining a party, there was no chance someone didn’t recognize his face. It made things easy for him but of course it was frustrating at the same time. Finding out if a woman was truly interested in him as a person was truly difficult. However, Eve was very obviously not. 


Josh let himself fall at his sofa and called his best friend.


„Yo, man. Happy new year!“ Justin cheered into the phone. 


„Happy new year, T.“ Josh replied. 


„Are you still in Orlando?“


„No, my parents left for Aruba. So I went home yesterday night.“


„Really? So, you were on your own on New Year’s Eve?“


„Not exactly.“ 


„What does that mean?“


„I met someone at Pablo’s.“


„Uh… spill!“


Josh sighed.


„She was really nice, bro. We had a good time and then she took me home…“


„Congrats! Finally you got laid again!“ Justin cheered. 


„Ya… however… I asked if she would like to meet again but… I didn’t like the answer…“


Justin laughed out loud.


„She dumped you?“


„Ya… kind of… it was really weird… I’ve had the feeling she was completely overwhelmed by the situation.“


„At least, you got laid. See the positive side of that story.“


„I really liked her…“


„C… come on. Since when you give a shit?“


„Dunno… I guess it really offended my ego. I feel like I’m out of game…“


„You’re not. You just got a little rusty over the last few years.“


„I’m gonna sign up in the fitness gym again…“


„That’s definitely not a bad idea. And please cut that messy hair.“




Lucy laughed hard. She just couldn’t stop although it terribly hurt. 


„Painkillers! I need more painkillers!“ She shouted in between. 


„You deserve that pain.“ Eve replied, giving her an annoyed look. 


Then she let herself fall next to Lucy in her hospital bed.


„Sorry, darling. But I never heard a weirder one night stand story then yours. I mean, you offered food for his way home. What kind of person does that?“ Lucy replied, still laughing. 


„Someone who was very obviously completely overwhelmed with the situation.“


„Why you just didn’t make him stop?“


„I didn’t want to sound needy or desperate… or both…“ 


„But he gave you enough signals that he was interested in you. How could you misjudge the situation so bad?“


„Lucy, for god’s sake. I wasn’t with a man for five years. I have the right being a little lost, don’t you think?“


„You’re 37 years old. I can’t let you get away with that lame argument.“ 


„Ya… whatever. I screwed up. Next one please.“ Eve joked. 


„Next one?“ Lucy raised an eyebrow. „He whetted your appetite, hm?“  


„Maybe…“ Eve replied, grinning shady. 


„At least he made you come twice. Believe me, this is a great output.“


„Is it?“ 


„Yap. Once I’ve had a guy who came before we even started. Then he put his clothes on disappeared.“


„How you dared saying my story was weird comparing to this one?“ 


„Because yours is definitely more funny.“


Eve sighed with frustration.


„He was really good, Lucy… in many, many ways…“


Lucy turned into her direction and kissed her head. 


„Shit happens, Eve. Shit happens…“



Next day Eve was sitting on the passenger seat of her boss’ car. They were on their way seeing a client. 


„Are you really ready for this, Eve?“


„Of course, Rachel. Do you doubt me?“


„No. I really have a good feeling with this but… it is a big deal. You know that, right?“


„Ya. I know. You mentioned it once or twice.“ 


„Stop that cynical tone. That firm is my baby. I have a reputation to lose.“ 


Eve rolled her eyes. 


„I’m not doing this for the first time and you know it.“


„Ya. But this is Los Angeles. People are different here.“


„Why that?“


„They have high standards. They are willing to pay a lot but they are also expecting a lot.“


„I promise, I won’t disappoint you.“ 


The women reached their destination in the next moment. After parking her devil-red Mustang, Rachel took a critical look into the front mirror. She was in her fifties, trying very hard looking like forty. Botox was her best friend. Her lips were made as well. Being on a radical diet her body was way too thin. But her breasts weren’t. Of course they were made as well. Her long brown hair was perfectly waved and her red nails sparkled in the sun. She was wearing a navy shift dress and black killer heels. 


„Okay, it’s showtime.“ She said to Eve, after refreshing her expressive make-up. 


Eve couldn’t look more different. She was wearing a floaty floral skirt, a tight white blouse and nude ballet flats. Her make-up was plain as always. Just some foundation, mascara and her favorite peach lipstick. This was it. Her sleek long hair was open. She was also wearing her glasses as her sensitive eyes were still recovering from sleeping with contact lenses. 


Both went to the front door. 


„Good morning, Mr. Chasez!“ Rachel cheered when the door got open. 


„Good mor… ning…“ 


Josh’s voice was suddenly breaking and he couldn’t trust his own eyes. This was Eve. She was standing at his front door. Right here, right now. Just like that. What the hell was happening?


Eve turned immediately pale when she saw Josh’s face. This must be a bad joke. This just couldn’t be real. She gazed at him with her eyes wide open, while her heart stopped beating for a moment. 


Josh was wearing light-blue jeans, a white v-neck t-shirt and just black socks. His wild curls looked messy and his deep blue eyes were hidden behind his glasses. 


„Mr. Chasez, may I introduce you to my new employee Eve Miller? She is an amazing interior designer and moved from Europe few weeks ago. I’m absolutely convinced you’ll love her ideas.“ Rachel explained. 


„Hi.“ Josh said, staring at her.


„Hi.“ She replied, staring back. 


Then he realized that they were still standing at the front door. 


„Oh, ehm… please come in.“ He said and let them step inside. 


Eve’s knees turned into jelly. She hoped nobody noticed how much they were shaking. She put off her shoes before following Josh and Rachel into the living room. Then she sat down at his sofa next to Rachel who was still wearing her heels. Josh was so irritated that he forgot asking her to put them off. 


„Can I bring you something to drink? Coffee?“


„Yes, please. Thank you, Mr. Chasez.“ Rachel immediately responded. 


„What about you, Mrs. Miller?“ Josh asked, looking at Eve now. 


„He’s calling you Mrs. Miller. How awkward is that?“ She thought. 


Eve nodded, not being able saying another word. 


When Josh left the situation she slowly returned back to normal. She realized that her complete upper body was sweaty now.


„Are you alright?“ Rachel asked, noticing her weird behavior. 


„Ya, sure. I was just so overwhelmed by that… house. It’s really nice.“ Eve lied. 


„Yes it is. But you’ll make it look even better soon.“ 


Eve smiled shyly and nodded. 


Josh’s hands were shaking while making coffee. Why was he so damn nervous? He tried to figure out how on earth this could happen to him. Was this really just a random coincidence?


He returned with the beverages. Eve’s coffee was with milk and sugar. He remembered how she liked it. Noticing this made her immediately flush. 


„Mr. Chasez, we already talked about your requirements during our first meeting in my office before Christmas. But as Eve will take care for the redesign of your house, I would like you to let her know what exactly you’re having on your mind.“ Rachel said.


„Ehm, ya… sure.“ Josh replied, looking at Eve. 


„I would like to have a complete redesign of this living area, the kitchen and my master bedroom upstairs. That current black and white interior seems not to be up to date any more. I’m looking for a quiet fresh look, still minimalistic but cozy. I know that’s a conflict but… you’re an expert right?“ 


Eve listened carefully. She was in business mode now. Somehow she managed to focus, not thinking any longer about him lying naked on top of her.


„It’s not a conflict. We can make this work.“ Eve replied smiling. 


There it was again. Her irresistible smile. He couldn’t stop himself from smiling back at her from one ear to another. 


„Of course we can.“ Rachel cheered. 


„Eve… when you look at that room… do you have any spontaneous ideas how to redesign it?“ 


„Indeed.“ Eve said with confidence. 


Then she stood up. 


„Look, you have plenty of daylight here. This is a good thing. It means we can keep on working with some dark colors. But I’m not thinking about black. It could be patrol or a cozy mix of gray and deep blue. Dark colors are masculine. I believe this should still be a male home, right?“


Josh nodded. He stood up as well to join her by walking through his living area. Eve continued talking. 


„I understand what you mean with being more up to date. I miss some natural elements like wood or stone in here. We could replace your glass dining table through a beautiful solid timber table, for example. For the clean look I recommend plane white plastic chairs. It’s a very interesting contrast and breaks the massive look from the table.“


Eve took an iPad out of her bag and showed Josh some pictures. She was standing very close to him now. He could smell her familiar perfume which made him dizzy. 


„I made that moodboard for another project but I believe this elements would perfectly fit in here as well. What do you think?“ She asked him and looked up into his face. 


He got immediately lost in her beautiful eyes and gazed at her. Her face was so pretty. Did she know how pretty she was?


„Mr. Chasez?“ She said to get his attention. 


Somehow he managed retuning back to reality. 


„Ehm, ya. I like that. I really like your ideas. We should go for it.“ He replied.


Eve smiled now. 


„Let me prepare some individual moodboards for you. You’ll receive them tomorrow. Are you okay with that?“ 


„Yes, that’s totally fine.“


„Of course you can let me know your own ideas as well. Please don’t hesitate to help me understanding what you’re expecting in the end. This can be teamwork if you like. It’s not my intention to convince you from a style I believe it is fitting in here the best. Remember this is your home and it deserves looking exactly the way you want it.“


Josh smiled at her and nodded. 


„Teamwork.“ He said.


„Ya, teamwork.“ She repeated and smiled back.


„Perfect.“ Rachel said.


„Now let’s go upstairs and see the bedroom.“ 


Eve and Josh stared at each other, thinking the same.


„You and me in bed would be nice…“



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story