Rachel, Eve and Josh went upstairs and entered his bedroom. 


„The same pattern. A lot of black and white.“ Eve noticed.


„Ya… there was a time when I believed this looked good.“ Josh explained. 


„There was definitely a time when this looked good.“ Eve replied, smiling. 


Then she looked at the ground. 


„Hey ehm… this carpet. Do you prefer having one in the bedroom?“


„Well, it’s cozy.“ He replied. 


„First of all it’s unhealthy.“ 


„Is it?“


„Ya… a lot of dust in it. Trust me, you can’t vacuum away all the crap which is living in there by now.“


„Really?“ He pouted, but also being kind of disgusted. 


„Don’t worry. If you want a carpet, you can have one. But wooden floor boards would fit here perfectly as well. We can work with a nice rug to create the illusion you’re still having a carpet.“ 


Josh couldn’t stop himself from smiling again. She was really convincing and brutally charming at the same time. 


„Listen to that girl, Mr. Chasez. She knows what she’s talking about.“ Rachel added. 


Josh nodded. 


„That bed is really big…“ Eve noticed. 


„Ehm ya… I like having enough room in it.“


„For what?“ Eve was thinking. 


„I’m sure we’ll find an adequate replacement.“ She said. 


„Oh ehm… could you please redesign the closet as well? It’s big enough but still I don’t feel comfortable in it. It’s too dark and a little too narrow.“ Josh said next.


Eve entered his closet. He was having plenty of stuff. But just one side was in use. The other one was completely empty. Eve reminded herself to focus and not thinking about his breakup with his longterm girlfriend now. 


„Well, this is a dry wall, right?“ Eve asked, knocking at the wall to convince herself. 


„Ehm… dunno…“ Josh answered. 


„Trust me, it is one.“ She said and smiled. 


„We can easily remove it and enlarge the closet a little bit.“


„Sounds like a lot of work.“ Josh said skeptically. 


„It is but if you decide changing the floor, this will be a bigger project anyway.“


„True words. I highly recommend doing this. It’s now or never.“ Rachel said. 


„Okay. You’re the boss.“ Josh said, looking at Eve.


„No, Mr. Chasez. It’s teamwork. Remember?“ She replied and gave him a wink. 


It was official. That girl was making him weak. Josh couldn’t be more excited about her spending the next weeks in his house and redesigning it. Maybe he should let her take care for the rest of the rooms as well just to keep her busy in here. 


„Alright, so. I guess we have a very good impression now what to do, Mr. Chasez.“ Rachel said. 


„Please trust me, this will be good in the end.“ Eve said, looking at Josh.


„I trust you.“ He replied, again smiling at her. 


She smiled back. Then all of them walked downstairs. Josh escorted the women to the front door. Eve put her shoes on.


„You’ll receive the moodboards tomorrow. Please take your time to decide which style you prefer most. Then we can meet again to discuss the details and further steps.“ Eve said. 


„I will. Thank you, Mrs. Miller.“ He said, with a cheeky smile now. 


„You’re welcome, Mr. Chasez.“ She replied, grinning back. 


That man was giving her a really tough time. This eyes. This smile. This attitude. And damn… the way he looked at her. The butterflies in her belly were really hard to ignore. 



Sitting in Rachel’s car on their way into the office, Eve was processing hard. The universe was playing games with her. Suddenly the man from the bar was her client. She couldn’t afford messing up that job. Rachel was having big expectations in her work. She employed her when she was still living in Germany. The job was Eve’s ticket to her new life in California. Getting fired meant going back home. It was that simple. 


„What is he doing for living?“ Eve suddenly asked.


Of course she was curious about his job now. Having such a beautiful big house in Hollywood Hills meant he was making plenty of money. 


„Oh, he’s a music producer or something.“ Rachel answered.


„Okay, this explains everything.“ Eve thought. 



Being back in the office Eve immediately started working on Josh’s moodboards. 


„Hey, busy bee. How was your meeting with your first client?“ Her coworker Mateo asked. He entered her office and sat down at her desk. 


She hated when he was doing that but he didn’t care. Mateo was 38 years old and also an interior designer. He was having short dark hair and deep brown eyes. He was always well dressed, being a sucker for high fashion brands and preferred dating men although he used to have relationships with women as well. He worked for Rachel’s company for several years now. 


Rachel was employing 30 people. She was very proud of her small firm, located at the Sunset Boulevard in a very modern and exclusive office building. Her clients were all wealthy. Rich people always wanted good looking houses. But most of them had no idea how to deal with it on their own. This was her key to success for almost twenty years now. 


„Mat, I eat at that desk. Could you please remove your butt?“ Eve complained.


„Nope.“


„She rolled her eyes.“


„So… how was it?“


„It was good. I think he likes my ideas.“


„Then why you look so tensed?“


„Do I?“ 


„Yes, you do.“


Eve sighed. 


„Look. It turned out I know that guy from a prior… thing…“


Mateo jumped from her desk. 


„Not way! Did you bang him?“ He asked excited. 


Eve didn’t answer.


„Jeeeeez! You banged your first client! How awkward is that?“ He teased.


„Could you lower your voice, please?“ She said annoyed.


„Lunchbreak. You’ll tell me everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything.“


„Fine.“



Next day in the afternoon Eve was sitting in her office and finishing the moodboards for Josh. She was satisfied with her work and already being very curious which one he would prefer. Then she stood up and went into Rachel’s office. 


„Hey boss, do you have a minute?“ She asked.


„Sure, darling. What can I do for you?“


„I can’t find Mr. Chasez’ contact details in our address files.“


„Oh, ya. It’s because he’s a new client. My assistant is busy with other things and didn’t register him, yet.


„No big deal, I just need his email address.“ 


Rachel scrolled through her emails.


„It’s jsc@jscmusic.com." Rachel said.


„Thank you.“ 



„Okay, what now? Do I call him Josh?“ Eve was thinking, before typing the mail. 


„Hell, I don’t even know how to spell Shahzay. Is that French?“


She took a deep breath. Since she met Josh last day she tried very hard not thinking about how much she desired him. This was business. She needed to focus on her job now.


Mateo entered her office in the same moment and sat down at her desk again. She gave him an annoyed look.


„I thought about what you told me yesterday during lunch.“ He started to talk.


„And?“ 


„I came to the conclusion there is no reason why you shouldn’t continue banging him.“


„Are you serious?“ 


„I believe it’s good for business if you do so. I mean, our job is making our clients happy, right?“ 


Eve looked at him with her mouth wide open.


„Are you listening to yourself? I’m not a hooker!“


Mateo smiled dirty. 


„Right. You’re doing it for free.“ He teased. 


„Go away Mat, before you get seriously hurt by my staple gun!“ She threatened him. 


Mateo gave her another dirty smile and left her office. 



One hour later Eve went to the hospital to pick up Lucy. Finally she was allowed returning home. Eve was looking forward having her back. She didn’t like being alone in their apartment all the time. 


„Did you take my car?“ Lucy asked on their way to the exit. 


„Of course not.“ 


„But I told you just taking my car.“ 


„What’s wrong with calling an Uber, hm?“


Lucy sighed. 


„Nothing is wrong with calling an Uber. But one day you’ll need to deal with your shit, Eve.“


„Yap, I will. But not today.“



Josh was sweating like crazy. His black t-shirt was completely wet. He didn’t remember when he felt exhausted like this for the last time. With heavy breath he stepped from the treadmill. He bent his upper body and supported himself by holding his thighs. 


„Jeeeeez. I wasn’t aware of, my condition is that concerning.“ He panted. 


Michael finished his training at his treadmill as well and stood in front of him now. 


„Yes, honey. It is concerning.“ He confirmed. 


„I believed you’re here to support me.“ Josh complained.


„I am here because I am here every day anyway. And if you want get back in shape, I highly recommend doing the same.“ Michael replied.


„I’m not even sure if I’m gonna survive today…“ 


Michael scoffed. 


„What happened to you, old man? You used to look so delicious and now… this…“ Michael continued teasing. 


„I hate you. I really, really hate you right now.“ Josh answered, still panting. 


Michael was 35 and Lance’s husband for eight years now. Having two adorable baby twins since last year didn’t mean for Michael to let himself go. He was in the fitness gym almost every day. Lance did as well to stay in good shape for his eight years younger husband. They also lived in Hollywood Hills, just few minutes away from Josh.


While finding his way back to normal slowly, Josh heard an incoming email and grabbed his cell out of his pocket. 



From: em@rachel-klein.design.com 

To: jsc@jscmusic.com

Subject: Moodboards


Dear Josh,


As announced, please find attached your moodboards. I’m really looking forward hearing your opinion. Whenever you’re ready, please feel free to let me know which choice you made. I am happy to schedule the next meeting then to discuss further steps. 


Eve


P.S. You really should rethink the choice of your coffee brand. Just saying. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story