„What the hell are you doing?“ Mateo asked, standing in the doorstep to Eve’s office.


She was kneeling on the floor and busy with setting up the golf kit. 


„I got this from Justin. I think it’s fun.“ Eve replied and gave him a smile. 


„He bought you a present?“ 


„Yes. Because I’m a boss now.“ She giggled. 


„Interesting. And… was there another present from your fiancé?“ 


Eve stood up, lifted her left arm and smiled all over her face. Mateo immediately noticed. He went towards her and grabbed her hand to take a closer look. In fact just people with some knowledge could identify a Rolex at first glance. 


„Holy shit, Eve. I’m impressed. He’s got a damn good taste.“ Mateo said.


„He’s so good to me, Matty. He’s treating me like a princess all day and night. And I… I still feel like shit…“ 


Mateo released her hand and looked at her for a moment. 


„When exactly is Jess leaving town?“


„I guess on Saturday.“ 


„Do yourself a favor and let Justin explain first.“


„Why?“


„Because he’s gonna protect you. He won’t allow that you get harmed in any way.“


„I know what you mean. Justin told me he wanna take the blame all alone. But if we want to be honest, we need to tell the whole story.“


„Eve…“


„Matty, you know it’s the right thing to do…“



Eve met Lucy after work for dinner in Santa Monica. It was a mild evening and the girls were sitting at the terrace of their favorite fish restaurant close to the pier. 


„So, lady boss. Tell, me how are things at work?“ Lucy wanted to know, after ordering their drinks.


„It’s still unreal that I’m doing this. You have no idea how grateful I am that I’m having my own business again.“ Eve answered.


„But why did Rachel keep one third of the firm?“ 


„Because it’s her baby, Lu. She just can’t let go for good at this point. And of course she’s happy about profit-sharing.“


„How much is it?“


„She was very fair to us and just gets the legal portion as a silent partner.“ 


„Will you change the company’s name?“


„We don’t. It’s her legacy. As long as she’s on board, we will keep the name.“


The drinks arrived in the same moment. Both raised their glasses an clinked. 


„To a new chapter of life.“ Lucy toasted. 


Both took a sip. 


„Talking about that. Do you have a moving date, Lu?“ Eve asked, with a sudden sadness in her eyes.


„Don’t give me that look, Eve.“ Lucy warned her. 


„So, have you?“


„I still have some obligations at my current job but honestly, I can do that stuff from home so, there is no reason to wait…“


Eve’s heart skipped a beat.


„What does that mean?“


„It means, I’m leaving very soon, honey…“


„Lucy, no! I need more time!“


„Eve, come on. Don’t be that way. I want to be with my man…“


Eve sighed, giving Lucy another devastated look. 


„What about your apartment?“


„I’m gonna keep it. You never know, right? And it makes totally sense to have a place to stay when we’re in town.“ Lucy answered. 


Eve nodded and looked at her for a moment, before she continued talking. 


„It’s not fair that I have to do all wedding preparations without my maid on honor, don’t you think?“


„I’m there for you anytime you need me. Maybe not face to face, but be sure I’ll be there.“ 


Eve still pouted, but Lucy ignored it. 


„By the way, did you set a date, yet?“


„Josh suggested New Year’s Eve.“ 


„Oh, how cute is that? I love the idea!“ 


„Ya, me, too. But we need to find a location and that’s not easy on a day like this.“


„Ask Eric.“


Eve chuckled. 


„Ya, I guess that’s the easiest way.“ 



It was Saturday morning. Eve woke up late, being alone in bed. She grabbed her phone from the bedside table to check the time. It was 10 AM. Then she stood up and took a long shower. Afterwards she dried her long hair, put on her nerdy glasses and got dressed into some grey sweatpants and a random white shirt. 


When she finished making herself ready, she walked downstairs. She wondered about the silence, as she expected Josh and Justin being together in the studio. As she reached the kitchen, she saw Justin sitting at the dining table. But she couldn’t see his face from her perspective. 


„Good morning, 007. She said happily and went towards him. Then she bent down to give him a little peck on his cheek. In the next moment he turned his head in her direction. 


Eve immediately frightened. 


„What the hell happened to you???“ She said in deep shock. 


Justin was pressing a cooling pack against his left eye. It was bruised and swollen.


„You better sit down…“ Justin replied. 


Eve’s knees begun to shake. She grabbed a chair and sat down next to him.


„Explain to me!“ She demanded. 


Justin looked at her and took a deep breath. Then he put the cooling pack aside and started to talk. 


„C and I were awake early that morning, so… I took the chance and… told him…“


Eve’s stomach dropped and she turned sick. Did Justin really just said that?


„You.Did.What…?“ She stammered. 


„I wanted to do this on my own because… I wanted to protect you…“ Justin explained. 


„But this is not what we agreed, Justin!!! This is not what we agreed!!!“ She shouted. 


„I know, but still… this is what I did. And honestly… it was worse than I expected…“


Eve stared at him, not knowing what to do or what to think. This was too much for her nerves. 


„Did Josh punch you???“ She asked with shaky voice.


Justin nodded.


„Oh my god…“ 


Eve was completely under shock. She stood up, as she wasn’t sure, if she needed to throw up any moment or not.


„What exactly did you say?“ She wanted to know. 


„I explained that there was this turtle… and that we got deeply excited about it. And then, when you were swimming close to me, that I stopped thinking for a moment and just kissed you…“ 


Eve tried to control her breath and not losing her shit. 


„And what happened then…?“


„He hit me hard. And then he asked, if you kissed me back…“ 


„What did you say, Justin?“ Eve asked impatiently. 


„I didn’t say anything… I didn’t want to lie but I didn’t want to say the truth either…“ 


Eve was trying very hard to process the whole situation. But it was almost impossible to keep herself from freaking out. She was holding the kitchen counter as her legs felt like jelly. 


„Where is he now, Justin???“ She asked hysterically.  


„I don’t know…“


Eve looked at him with her eyes open wide.


„What does that mean???“


„He grabbed his keys and left the house.“


„Oh my god… oh my god…“ She stammered. 


Eve realized she was losing control. Her heartbeat reached a critical level and her breath was out of rhythm. Justin noticed. Hastily he stood up and went towards her.


„Justin… I…“ 


She couldn’t finish the sentence as she passed out in the same second. Justin grabbed her upper body and kept her from falling just in time. 


„EVE!“


Somehow he managed lifting up her motionless body and carried her to the sofa. He laid her down carefully. Then he knelt down in front of her and cupped her face. 


„Eve, come on! Talk to me! Come on baby, wake up!“ 


She didn’t react. 


„FUCK!!!“ He yelled in deep desperation.



Eve opened her eyes slowly. They felt heavy. It took few seconds till she could see clearly. 


„Where am I?“ She was thinking, as she noticed that she was lying in bed at an unknown place. 


She moved her head to the left and to the right slowly. Then she saw Justin sitting at an armchair next to her. His eyes were closed and his head was resting at his right shoulder. 


„Justin…“ She whispered, feeling like not having enough strength to use her voice. 


Justin opened his eyes and raised his head. 


„Hey, M…“ He said calmly. „You’re back.“ 


„Am I in a hospital?“ 


„Yes, you are.“


„What happened to me?“


„You’ve had a heavy panic attack and passed out in the kitchen.“ Justin explained. 


Eve slowly remembered what has happened. Her eyes filled with tears. Justin looked at her, feeling deeply sorry. He didn’t know what to do or what to say next. 


„How long did I pass out?“ She wanted to know. 


„Few hours…“


„Few hours?“


„It’s five in the afternoon.“


Eve raised her upper body. She still felt dizzy. 


„Did you find out where Josh is?“ 


Justin shook his head.


„I have no idea…“ 



Josh arrived in his apartment in Daytona Beach and let himself fall at the old sofa in the living room. He grabbed his face and sighed. Then he looked at his right wrist. It was swollen and still hurt, after punching Justin’s face. 


He took his phone out of his pocket. It was switched off. He pushed the on button and waited a moment. Countless missing calls and text messages from Justin appeared in the display. But there was not a single call or message from Eve. 


Josh took another deep breath. Then he started typing. 


„Are you home?“ [Jay]


„I am. Why?“ [Jen]


„I need some company.“ [Jay]


 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Again, it’s time for a break as I’m gonna be away from home for few weeks. I’ll be back by the end of June and promise to upload the next chapter as soon as possible. 


Please let me know if you like it so far :) 


Thank you very much for reading! 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story