„Complex?“ Justin repeated, while raising his eyebrows. 


„Yes. I can’t deny the fact that you’re having a certain impact on me. I was flattered that a man like you was interested in me. I mean, you could have every girl you ever wanted, right? So, yes, it gave my ego a thrill knowing that you like me. Honestly, if Josh didn’t appear in my life but you, be sure I would have fallen for you head over heels. But this is not what happened. It’s him who stole my heart straightaway and I’m convinced there is no way someone could ever make me feel the way he does. I can’t imagine loving anyone more than I love him. You’re a very exciting man, Justin. That’s why I kissed you back. But it’s not you who I want.“ 


Justin felt hurt. He knew there was never a chance for him and her. He definitely didn’t expect anything different. But hearing her say, that he could never compete with Josh was still kind of brutal. He simply wasn’t used to not being someone’s first choice. 


„Okay, well… thanks for your honesty.“ He replied. 


There was silence between them, until the waitress arrived with their drinks. 


„M…“ Justin continued talking. 


„Yes?“


„After what you just said about C, what holds you back going back home and make things right?“


„Does he really want that, Justin? I mean, after our last conversation I was pretty sure we screwed up for good.“ 


„Of course he wants it. You have no idea how much.“


Eve needed a moment to figure out how to explain her current situation, without saying too much. 


„Look. Despite of all trouble you and me caused, something else happened which I didn’t expect. I need more time to figure out how to deal with it.“


„What are you talking about?“ Justin asked curiously. 


„I can’t tell you Justin. I’m sorry.“


„This sounds kind of concerning, Eve.“


„Please don’t mention this in front of Josh. Promise me not to, okay?“


„Come on M… I owe him.“


„Justin…“


He sighed. 


„Fine. I won’t mention it. But I want something in return.“


„What exactly?“


„Unblock C’s number. And mine as well.“


„Okay, I will.“ 


„Do it now.“


„Why?“


„Because I want prove.“


Eve rolled her eyes again and grabbed her phone out of her bag. She unblocked both numbers and showed Justin.


„You’re happy now?“


„It’s a start.“


Eve smiled. 


„So, how are things between you and him?“ She asked. 


„I’m pretty sure he already forgave me. But he enjoys to let me suffer for a little longer.“ Justin answered.


Eve cracked another smile. 


„At least your love story is having a happy end.“ She joked. 



„She says she needs time to figure things out.“ [T]


„So, you failed…“ [C]


„At least she unblocked your number.“ [T]



Few days passed by. It was Sunday night. Eve was sitting in front her telly, eating chocolate. Her appetite was back and she didn’t look that skinny anymore. Then the doorbell rang. Eve stood up and opened up for Mateo. He entered her apartment few seconds later, seeing her chewing. 


„Why are you eating before dinner?“ He blamed her. 


„I’m pregnant, you forgot?“ She talked back.


„And why you didn’t dress up, yet? I’m not taking you in that scruffy outfit to my favorite place.


Eve was wearing some light blue boyfriend jeans and a black oversize sweater. Her hair was put together into a messy bun and she was wearing her nerdy glasses instead of any make up. 


„I’m pregnant.“ She repeated. 


Mateo gave her an outraged look.


„There is not a single sign of a baby belly under that ugly sweater, yet. I expect you looking nice for me tonight.“


„Why?“


„Because I say so.“


Eve sighed annoyed and went into her bedroom. Mateo followed her.


„What about that little black dress?“ He suggested, standing next to her in her closet. 


„Whatever.“ She said and grabbed the dress.


„And use some dry-shampoo or something. Looks like showering was not at your priority list that morning, hm?“


„You should be grateful I agreed going out with you instead of teasing me.“ 


Eve disappeared in the bathroom and took care for her hair and her face, before putting the dress on. When she finally returned into the living area, Mateo’s face lightened up.


„That’s my girl.“


Eve straighten her hair, put on some make-up and chose contact lenses instead of her glasses. With some black heels in her hand she went to the front door and put them on. 


„You are incredibly pretty, you know that, right?“ Mateo complimented her.


„And you are a superficial bitch, Mat.“ She teased him.


„There’s nothing wrong about liking beautiful things.“ He replied boldly. 



„I’m sorry, Sir. There is no reservation under your name.“ The reception lady said.


„You’re kidding me! Check again!“ Mateo said angrily. 


Eve was standing next to him in his favorite steakhouse, losing her good mood as well. She was terribly hungrily, longing for a big piece of meat. 


The receptionist was deeply sorry about the inconvenience, but there was no free table left for Mateo and Eve. 


„I wanna talk to your supervisor!“ Mateo demanded. 


„What’s the problem?“ Both suddenly heard a familiar voice saying from behind. 


Eve and Mateo turned around, facing Justin and Josh. Eve’s heart skipped a beat. Meeting Josh in that restaurant was the last thing she expected tonight. She flushed and hated it, while Josh was scanning her from head to toe.


„Hi.“ He said calmly, giving her a shy smile. 


„Hi.“ She replied. 


„What a surprise seeing you here!“ Mateo cheered, completely overacting. 


„Indeed! This is a very interesting consistence, right?“ Justin replied, also overacting. 


Eve and Josh exchanged irritated glances. 


„Imagine that! They have no free table for us!“ Mateo continued talking to Justin. 


„That’s outrageous!“ Justin answered. 


The reception lady was completely overwhelmed, not knowing what to do. 


„What is going on here?“ Eve asked. 


Justin glanced at her and smiled smugly. Then he gave his attention back to Mateo. 


„Matty, you look like needing a drink at the bar very urgently.“


„Yes, I do. You have no idea, Justin.“


Justin grabbed his arm around Mateo’s shoulders. 


„I take care for Mat’s mental condition. You take care for your girl.“ Justin said to Josh, before disappearing with Mat to the bar. 


The receptionist was still watching the scene. 


Eve mouth got open. This just couldn’t be true. Josh watched them walking away, before he gave his attention back to Eve.


„Really, Josh?“ She blamed him. 


„I swear to god, I have nothing to do with that.“ He answered. 


Eve didn’t believe him and gave him a skeptical look.


„It’s my birthday tomorrow. T persuaded me going out for dinner and having some drinks afterwards to party into it.“ He explained. 


Of course Eve remembered Josh’s birthday. She was thinking about it all the time in the last couple of days. After looking at him for a moment, she finally calmed down. 


„I’m really hungry.“ She said.


„Shall we go in?“ He asked carefully.


Eve nodded. Both looked at the receptionist, who was still very tensed.


„Table for Timberlake? She asked with thin voice.


„Yes, please.“ Josh answered, giving her a calm smile. 


„Please follow me.“ She said next and brought them to a table for two in a quiet corner.


The waitress appeared immediately, bringing the menu and asking for their drinks order. After choosing drinks, Eve was engrossed into the menu, while Josh was watching her. His heart was longing for her like crazy. He never missed someone so bad like he missed her. The last weeks were the biggest emotional challenge he ever went through. The inner fight between his endless love for her and the fact that she cheated on him, was still giving him a tough time. The situation also scared him, because she was able making him forget about his own boundaries. She had no idea how much power she was having over him. He was addicted to her with his full body and soul. 


„Eve…“ He said quietly after some time.


She was still reading the menu.


„Not, yet.“ She replied. 


„Not yet what?“


„I can’t talk to you right now.“


„Why not?“


„Because I’m starving.“ 


The waitress appeared in the same moment. Eve smiled and placed her order. 


"I would like to have the one pound entrecôte, well done, please. With corn, fries and mayonnaise. Oh and the chicken salad as a starter. Do you have a separate menu for dessert because I couldn’t find anything?“ 


Josh stared at her with his eyes wide open. 


„Dessert varies daily. Today it’s strawberry shortcake or white mousse chocolate.“


„Sounds good. I take both.“ Eve replied. 


The waitress smiled and gave her attention to Josh. 


„Ehm… I take exactly the same.“ He said, as he didn’t look into the menu, yet. 


„Sure.“ The waitress replied and disappeared in the next moment. 


„So, you’re hungry.“ Josh asked with a charming smile. 


„As I told you.“ She replied. 


He was still smiling at her, while she tried hard to avoid looking into his beautiful eyes, which she missed so much. 


„How is work doing?“ He asked next to start a random conversation. 


„It’s really good. Matty is an amazing partner. He’s taking care for all boring things like figures and let me take care for the staff related topics instead.“


„I’m happy to hear that.“ 


„What about you?“


„I’m pretty busy with some new projects. But I’m not complaining.“ 



Justin and Mateo were watching the scene from distance, while sitting at the bar and sipping cocktails. 


„They talk. This is a good sign, isn’t it?“ Mateo said.


„I can’t tell. Don’t forget that both of them are stubborn as hell.“ Justin replied. 


„However, I’m hungry, Timberlake. Why you didn’t reserve another table for both of us?“ 


Justin glanced at Mateo, before asking the bartender for his attention. 


„What can I do for you, Mr. Timberlake?“ 


„We would like to eat something.“


„Of course. Let me take care for this and go back to you in a minute.“ 


Mateo enjoyed this kind of special treatment and gave Justin a naughty smile. A waiter appeared just short after and brought both of them to a free table. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story