Next morning, Eve was looking forward having German breakfast in the hotel restaurant. She rushed to the buffet and returned with two full plates to their table. Josh was just having fried eggs with sausages and stared at her in disbelief. 


„You gonna eat all of this?“ He smirked. 


„Probably I’m gonna die after eating so much whole grain bread and liverwurst at once, but it’s a risk I am taking.“ 


When they finished eating, Eve suddenly turned serious. 


„I’m not happy seeing my mom today.“ 


Josh grabbed her right hand and kissed her fingers gently. 


„We are here to see your dad, remember? That’s the reason we came.“ 


Eve cracked a smile.


„You’re right. Thank you, baby.“ 


„Hey ehm… is there a chance they will understand me?“ Josh wanted to know. 


„My mom was running a language school before she got retired, so that’s not a problem. But my dad never learned English. However, I don’t expect him talking anyway.“ 



Eve and Josh arrived at her parent’s house in the early afternoon. It was located in a quiet neighborhood in the suburbs of Dortmund. Eve asked Josh parking the car in front of the garage. She was holding a bouquet of colorful flowers in her hand and took a deep breath. 


„Ready?“ Josh asked and gave her a calm smile.


Eve nodded, smiling back. Then they left the car, passed the front yard and stopped at the big wooden door. Eve rang the bell, with the flowers in her left hand. With her right she was holding Josh’s and squeezed his fingers nervously, before her mom finally opened up. 


„Hi mom.“ Eve said emotionless, when their eyes met. 


Eve’s mom was having middle long blond hair and wearing bold glasses. Her body shape was delicate as her daughter’s. Although she was in her early seventies, she was still a very attractive woman. Josh needed to admit, that Eve was looking like her.


Eve’s mom immediately noticed Eve’s baby bump.


„Jesus. You’re pregnant.“ She said surprised. 


„I am. And he’s the reason why.“ Eve said, looking at Josh. 


He was looking back at her and gave her a shy smile. 


„Well, yes. It makes sense. Now come in. It’s cold.“ Her mom replied, inviting them inside. 


Both put their coats and shoes off, before entering the living area. 


„You brought flowers.“ Eve’s mom said next, pointing at the bouquet. 


Eve gave her the bunch. 


„Ya, these are dad’s favorites.“ 


Eve’s mom ignored the hint and brought the bouquet into the kitchen. She returned a moment later with a vase in her hand and put the flowers at the dining table, next to her fresh baked apple pie. 


„So.“ Her mom said next, scanning Josh from head to toe. „You’re the new Tom?“ 


Eve rolled her eyes. 


„My name is Josh. It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Harper.“ Josh replied. 


„Josh.“ She repeated his name. „Like Joshua?“ 


„Yes, Ma’am.“ 


„You can call me Kristin.“ She offered. 


„Thank you, Kristin.“


„Where is dad?“ Eve wanted to know next. 


„In the sunroom.“ Her mom answered. 


Eve glanced at Josh and made herself on her way. He followed her with little distance. 


Eve’s dad was sitting in a wheelchair and staring through the big windows into the garden. With his thin grey hair and deep wrinkles in his face he looked older than he truly was. He was absent-minded but calm. Eve knelt down in front of him and grabbed his right hand. 


„Hi, dad. It’s me. Your daughter Eve.“ She said in German. 


He turned his head into her direction. First he just looked at her without any expression. But then he suddenly started smiling.


„Do you recognize me, dad?“ She asked, smiling back. 


He lifted his other hand and touched her cheek. Eve felt in this moment, that he remembered her. Slowly she stood up and bent over his body to kiss his cheek. 


„Look, daddy. I am expecting a baby.“ She said and placed his hand at her belly. „It’s a boy. His name is Jake.“ 


Her father was still looking into her face and smiled. Eve turned into Josh’s direction now, who was watching them from distance. 


„This is my fiancé, dad. His name is Josh. We will marry soon.“ 


Eve’s dad looked at Josh. Then he reached out his hands into Josh’s direction. 


„He wants you to come closer, honey.“ Eve said, being deeply touched by the moment. 


Josh did what she said and took her father’s hands. 


„Hi, Mr. Harper.“ Josh said and smiled at him. 


Eve and Josh noticed, that her father was trying to say something. But the worlds didn’t come out. 


„It’s okay, dad. Don’t worry.“ Eve said and kissed his cheek again.


Suddenly Kristin appeared in the sunroom and interrupted them. 


„The coffee is ready.“ 


„Coffee is ready.“ Eve repeated, looking at her dad. Then she walked around his wheel chair and pushed him into the dining room. 


All of them sat down at the table, while Kristin filled the cups with fresh coffee. Then she put a slice of cake on each plate. Eve’s dad was absent-minded again, just staring into space. 


„So, what brings you back home?“ Eve’s mom wanted to know. „I was very surprised that you called, to be honest.“


„Actually, Josh wanted to meet you, before we marry.“ Eve answered.


„Oh. That’s the last thing I expected.“ Kristin replied, looking at Josh. 


„Why would you say that?“ He asked.


„Well… nowadays no one asks for the parent’s permission to marry anymore. I mean, Tom did but… he was different…“ 


„Mom, stop it.“ Eve interrupted her. 


Kristin gave her a stern look.


„Tom was a an extraordinary man.“


„Stop talking about Tom! This is completely inappropriate!“ 


„Talking about him is all what I got left!“ Kristin hissed. „You’re not taking this away from me!“


„Your obsession with him is completely sick, mom! Go and get some help, for god’s sake!“ Eve hissed back. 


„I loved him like my own son! Don’t you dare calling me sick!“


„He’s dead, don’t you get it?! But your daughter is still alive! I’m sorry it’s me who survived not him! I’m sorry I dared surviving that fucking crash!!!“ Eve shouted. 


Being completely out of mind, Eve stood up and rushed out of the house. Josh was watching her disappear. Kristin suddenly started crying. Josh looked at her, thinking about what to do next. 


„Kristin.“ He finally said. „This is your last chance to make things right, because otherwise you’ll never see your daughter again. It would be a shame, if our boy would never have the chance meeting his grandparents.“ 


„So, it’s a boy?“ Kristin sobbed and wiped away her tears with a napkin. 


„Jake.“ Eve’s dad suddenly said. „Jake… Jake… Jake…“


„Yes, Mr. Harper. It’s Jake.“ Josh said happily. 


Kristin suddenly stood up. Then she went after Eve into the front yard. 


Eve was sitting at a small bench next to the front door, trying to calm down somehow. It was cold but she didn’t mind in that moment. Then she saw her mom coming outside, with a cigarette box in her hand. She sat down next to Eve and lighted one up. 


„You smoke now?“ Eve said dismissively. 


„Come on…“ Kristin replied, taking a deep puff. „You know Tom and I liked to have one, when no one was watching.“


Eve remembered when she caught them smoking for the first time. 


„You and him made the perfect couple.“ She said, still being lost in thoughts. 


„No. You and him made the perfect couple. That’s why I loved him so much.“ Kristin replied. 


Eve looked into her mother’s face for a moment. 


„Why you said all this cruel things to me after the accident?“ 


Kristin looked back, taking another deep puff. 


„I didn’t believe, you could continue living without Tom. You being suddenly all alone made no sense to me. I was caught in the illusion you were lost without him. I blamed you for his death because I was convinced, that you just ruined the rest of your life.“


Eve scoffed. 


„Your explanation makes things even worse than they were before. How could you think like that, mom? Hearing all of this is deeply frustrating and hurtful. Do you even realize that?“ 


Kirstin exhaled deeply, before replying. 


„I was traumatized.“


„So? Are you still traumatized? Or why you never tried apologizing for failing as a mom?“ Eve provoked her. 


„Ya… maybe I am…“ 


Eve shook her head, looking away. Kristin continued talking. 


„I know I ruined things between us. But I accepted the price, which I’m still paying.“


„Which price, mom?“


„Losing you forever.“ 


„This is a joke right? Instead of accepting the circumstances, you should have tried to make things right!“ 


„It’s not possible.“ 


„Why the hell not?!“


„Because what I said to you is unforgivable. You can’t ask for forgiveness when you said those things to your own child.“ 


„How do you know, hm?! You.Never.Tried!“


Eve stood up and rushed back into the house. Josh was still sitting at the dining table with her dad. 


„Baby, hey.“ He said carefully. 


Eve looked at him, before she bent over her dad’s wheel chair. Then she kissed his forehead gently.


„I love you, dad. It was good to see you.“ 


Her father was absent-minded again. She gave him a last loving smile, before giving her attention back to Josh.


„Let’s go, honey. I have enough.“


Josh stood up and pulled her into his arms.


„You tried. I’m proud of you.“


Eve smiled at him. Then she took his hand and pulled him into the hall. They put on their coats and shoes and left the house. Kristin was still sitting at the bench, finishing her cigarette.


„Goodbye Kristin.“ Josh said, while passing her. 


Their eyes met for two seconds. 


„Goodbye Joshua. I hope you can fill the gap in her heart.“ 


Eve suddenly stopped, turned around and gave her mom another dismissive look.


„I love him more than I loved Tom!“ 


Josh was kind of shocked hearing her say that. Kristin just stared at her. Eve looked at Josh now.


„It’s true.“ She said to convince him, that she didn’t just say it to hurt her mother’s feelings. 


Then she took his hand again and pulled him to their rental car. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story